Tap Room No. 21 Amber Ale - World Brews

to view more.
Ratings: 180 | Reviews: 82
Reviews by Nerudamann:
3.6/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Look - strong golden color. Almost 2 fingers worth of head, and good carbonation.

Smell - Pale ale smell.. Slightly hoppy but with a floral aroma.

Taste - Tastes much like the smell. Slightly hoppy, and with a floral like hint, which creates a extra bitterness on the middle part of the palate, while the hop's bitterness strikes the back of the palate. Interesting sensation. Kind of a zestiness to it.

Mouthfeel - good balance, but slightly on the creamier side.

Drinkability - Very interesting brew! Nice complexity, decent in taste. Also, not at a bad price, so I'd be very tempted to be coming back for more of this one!

2.88/5  rDev +5.5%

A - standard amber coloring

S - a bit on the lighter side - nothing really popped out

T - your average ale taste, slightly sweeter than expected

M - refreshing and easy

D - yes and will do so again. I think it is the slight sweetness that got to me (that and it was 97 so this beer just got to me).

Another good refresher after coming in from the heat. Not overpowering or too strong in any one flavor so I would buy it again during the hotter months.

3.4/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass, while tailgating for the Texans-Colts game (just to add to the ambience). It was a golden color with a small white head. Sweet malt/caramel aroma. Very malty taste, which kind of overwhelmed everything else. Still, a nice beer to drink.

2.37/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to Travita for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. Not sure how an amber ale is yellow in color, but I guess I can overlook that. The aroma is corn and biscuit malt. The flavor is a mix of corn and some malt. No real hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. I can overlook the color, but not the terrible flavor or aroma. Avoid this one unless you just have to have the rating.

4.28/5  rDev +56.8%

A: This beer is a dark Amber with about a 1 1/2 finger head that was quickly gone.

S: Smells sweet, but this is not a very strong scent at all.

T: Not a lot of bitterness in this brew. Im guessing its rather low on the IBUs. It is well balanced though and it ends with a sweet caramel tang.

M: Medium to lighter body and feel

D: This is a very drinkable beer. Light and refreshing. Great spring beer in my opinion. I am gonna have to deviate from the norm on this beer and give it a higher rating. I really liked this one!

1.65/5  rDev -39.6%

I have been curious enough to sample this. Curiosity can lead you to some excellent finds...or in this instance NOT. Flat tasting no distinguishable characteristics at all unfortunately. Was looking for something along the lines of some nice NY flavors like Saranac. No Body at all. Like a home Brew that hasn't been allowed the proper time to "get there" Sorry cannot make it out to be more than it is, serve it really cold after working up a sweat doing yard work and it might satiate your thirst but that's about all. Sneak it in an iced down cooler at you next Summer BYOB fling maybe someone else will drink it !

2.11/5  rDev -22.7%

Light copper amber hue with a briht white head froming nice even lacing. Aroma has a very grainy earthy herbal hop character underneath caramelized malts. Super fruity apple juice and tart cherry notes way too sweet for me like unfermented malts here way to harsh on the palate. I can't believe this is at every Kroger in my area. Flavor is super sweet with a tart juicy flavor it's got apple juice lik notes tastes like a fourty intead of a macro ale or lager. Fizzy cabonation not the best stuff, very fogrettable light to medium carbonation with thick residual sugar notes throughout. You couldn't pay me to pick more of this stuff up.

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The color is a completely clear amber. A very slight white head sticks around for a minute or two before being reduced to a thinnish foam. Just a bit of thin, spotty lacing is left around.
The aroma is certainly thin and weak. Malts are in here but not the highest quality. Are there adjuncts in here? There's almost a corny sweetness before leaning more toward fruits. A bit of toast is here as well and a dusting of something herbal makes me believe that there's at least something by way opf hops contributed.
The flavor follows suit. Grains carry the day and a bit of something diacetylic lingers as well. It's not terrible, but it's below average.
Thin and dull, at least this light-bodied brew has enough crispness to not be flat.

If this is representative of these Tap Room 21 beers, I'm not sure I want to try the rest. Seeing them pop up at grocery stores everywhere, I hasd a feeling it might be a macro effort. Whatever else, it's certainly lackluster.

2.71/5  rDev -0.7%

Definitely a true amber in color, a honeyed golden-brown under an inch-high head with good retention.

Weak aroma of mild honey and minimal caramel...but ambers don't usually wow the nose, do they? This one sure doesn't.

The first few sips hit the tongue with a sweet maltiness. Hops are very much reeled in. Then a sugary element takes over, ultimately distracting and detracting from the flavor. It screams "adjunct". I'm doubting all the fermentable sugars here were produced by grain. Corn...rice...Domino sugar? Whatever it is, it's not helped by the plastic-y finish.

Firm in the mouth, with a pleasing buttery glide and mild-to-moderate carbonation.

If you're not looking for the stuff of legend, but an affordable session brew, there are so many worse choices...and many better ones. Cleary middle of the road stuff. You do have to love the slogan on the neck-ring: "Celebrating the repeal of Prohibition - 1933".

2.95/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A - light, see-through amber with a thin, soapy, loose head that fades quickly

S - caramel malt, sweet; very faint

T - caramel malt, light peat, apples, somewhat sugary, marshmallows

M - medium bodied, crisp, a tad overcarbonated

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. The flavor isn't bad, but it's certainly not as expressive as I'd like for the style. The marshmallow flavor through me, but I actually liked it because I thought it gave this beer some dimensions. Overall, this is an average at best amber, but inexpensive and very easy to drink.

2.46/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Picked up a single from Chip's Wine and Beer in NC. This tastes like a beer from a macro brewer and reminds me a bit of Yuengling's Lord Chersterfield. There's a mild caramel note that's sweet before the beer finishes dry. But there's also an unpleasant vegetable note, that remind me of cheap beer. I'd avoid this one. It's not cheap or very good. At least it looks decent.

3.35/5  rDev +22.7%

12oz bottle

Clear bright copper, like a new penny, with a bright white head that laces decently.

Light caramel malt smell, slightly sweet and roasty with some fruitiness and mild hops.

Sweet maltiness up front, slightly caramel/butterscotch like, some hops come on, but not enough to beat the sweet so it becomes a bit cloying as you drink more.

Slightly hard water-like mf, but still drinkable. This stuff isn't bad for an everyday "amber," definately drinkable- more hop balance than say, Fat Tire.

2.91/5  rDev +6.6%

The nose is very metallic with stale grain and roasted barley tone. The flavor is a bit boring but I do get a barley graininess and an obvious honey sweetness. There's some really good elements in this but it never really exerts itself.

3.38/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12 oz bottle purchased at Chip's in Kill Devil Hills, NC.

A: The ale pours with a brilliant copper red color, looking pretty much just like a penny. The body is clear, showing off no imperfections beyond the steady stream of carbobation. The head atop the ale was one thick finger on pour and, sadly, is no more.

S: The aroma is grainy sweet, focusing its attention on the malty side of the ale.

T: The taste closely mirrors the nose, grain-dominant with little hop balance. The malts are bready with a green grape dry sweetness. They are reasonably thin, quickly evaporating into the mouth with little whimper. A few seconds after the sip is gone, the graininess returns to softly lull the tastebuds.

M: The mouthfeel lacks hops, other than that this is a surprisingly good drink. The flavor is inoffensive, possibly even good and it won't wear you out.

D: The low abv and nice session taste pleased me, I wouldn't hesitate to pound down a few of these.

2.68/5  rDev -1.8%

On special at the supermarket; bottle poured into tall 14-oz juice beaker.

A: a fetching amber, with a reddish tint; diaphonous but doesn't look weak; the head is too sudsy; the repeal of prohibition, much celebrated by the beer's makers, was before my time, and the lawful right to drink isn't something that's ever been on my mind; 1933, a year lauded on the neck label, doesn't have such good connotations in my mind.

S: I had to look at the label again to know that I had bought an amber ale; this smells more like apple juice, and

T: tastes like it, too.

M: I don't see much really wrong with it; maybe the carbonation, which is a little too smooth. An old friend of mine would say this is the kind of beer that drunks like to drink for breakfast.

D: I would drink this again if I had to, but I wouldn't be expecting an amber ale, at all: amber ales have touches of earthiness and bitterness that keep notes of fruit juice at bay. This has notes of fruit juice and not much else. It is mildly likeable, as long as you disabuse yourself of any expectation that it will be...good. To be tolerated at best, not relished.

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a dark orange (not really amber) with a frothy white head that fades fast. The smell is underwhelming, some malt, sweet notes, corny smell as well. The taste is just as lackluster as the smell, some malt flavor with a bland aftertaste. The mouthfeel is ok, decent carbonation, light body, but no real flavor here. This is an easy drinking beer but nothing worth checking out here. Just a flavorless beer, I would check out other amber/red ales if that is what you're looking for.

2.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I grabbed this at Kroger when I was making a sixer. Have no idea what to expect.

A--Ok. Not that great of a start. It has a nice color--I suppose. A rich amber color that I would expect for the style. It poured with one of the weakest heads I have seen in a while. Reminds me almost of a Bud head...I hope that's not a sign of what's to come.

S--Nothing. Honestly. I don't smell much of anything. I suppose if I really try I can pick up a little hint of caramel, but really it's like smelling water...could this be another Bud like beer??

T--Yes. It's like a Bud. This beer is awful. Overly sweet corn, with a taste of sickening caramel finish. I also got a hint of barley, but it was so hidden that I may be mistaken about whether it's there or not.

M--Carbonated water. Nothing more to say. There's an overly sweet aftertaste, and the feel is of the heavy carbonation, but the lack of a taste is honestly like water.

D--I suppose this drinkability is "semi-high" because of it's low alcohol content you could easily knock back a sixer or so of this and probably still be able to drive. The problem is that it's so overly sweet that I can barely finish one, much less think to drink another.

Avoid this beer guys. One of the worst ever.

2.27/5  rDev -16.8%

I have seen this beer at my grocery store for a while and have been avoiding it. I didn't expect it to be very good. But it was on sale so what the hell. I poured into a pint glass to what started out as nice head but quickly went away. It was golden, amber in color. It smelled kind of sweet and malty. The taste is not that impressive. I can see why I have been avoiding it. Oh well, I took a chance, but how could it really stand up to the HopBack that I have in the fridge. I should have just drank it. Overall, just a subpar offering.

2.29/5  rDev -16.1%

Pour is thin and produces coarse head that quickly dissipates to nothing. The color is a coppery amber, kinda standard for an amber ale.

Aroma is nothing impressive. It has a distinct adjunct character to it with lots of graininess to it. There is a weak caramel aroma as well.

Pretty similar to the taste. There is a big grainy malt profile, but there is also an artificial sweetness to it that really just doesn't hit the mark. It ends up tasting a bit tinny.

Smooth and easy to drink, the flavors are just off the mark and a little too macro-like for my taste at this point. I think I will probably use the rest of these for cooking bratwurst.

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

I'm always game for a new beer that's mid-priced (~ $6-7/6-pack), so when this amber ale (and two siblings, a lager and a pale ale) appeared at my local Kroger, I thought I'd give it a try. Label and packaging use a combination of mock-letterpress and retro font/design in blacks and browns, which I mention b/c it's what initially attracted me.

A: Pale, clear light amber/copper. The head starts off at about 1 inch, but disappears quickly. Little lacing.
S: Thin metallic-maltiness, without much hops.
T: Much like a "I'll keep trying" first/second batch of homebrew. Like the smell, the taste is thin, mild. Very, very faint hops in the aftertaste. Flavor reminds me of weak iced tea, not the actual flavor, but b/c it hints at what a stronger, richer version might taste like. Little maltiness. Taste isn't bad, just mild.
M: Thin with low carbonation.
D: I actually rate this a little higher than the other categories b/c it's so mild-mannered. Like I suggested above, overall, this beer reminds me of a "try again" homebrew batch, one that gives a newcomer hope regarding what future batches could be. It won't offend.

It will be interesting to compare this to the other Moe's selections.

2.64/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz bottle from a 12 pack procured on sale from Kroger for 9.99. No freshness date. Pours a crystal clear amber color with a stark white head. Retention is excellent but does not leave much lacing.

Nose is caramel popcorn, grainy, wet malt and some cooked vegetables. Not really very appealing.

Taste is pretty basic and seems to have a DMS problem. This is NOT craft beer, right? Tastes mass-produced. Sweet and caramely without any real hop presence to speak of. Mouthfeel is fine and carbonation adequate. Its beer, albeit not very good beer, Id take one over a BMC most of the time. Unfortunately for Moe's Taproom, it is a pretty poor example of the style, and compares poorly to its peers for an Amber Ale.

2.2/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Poured into a perfect pint. Says "ale with honey added" on label, so this might be a different listing.

3.25 A: Clear dark orange color. Two fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is a touch below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

2.5 S: Light toastiness. Bland overall with a noticeable adjunct aroma hinting at rice. A touch of honey comes through, but only because the rest of the nose is so anemic.

2.0 T: Man this is bad. It's has that sickening adjunct sweetness that I will never get used to. The residual honey only bolsters this flavor. Again light toastiness and maybe a touch of graininesss.

2.5 M: Lighter body. Too much carbonation. Could be creaminess. Finish leaves a horrible sweet aftertaste.

1.75 D: This beer is ass. Don't buy it. Avoid it at all costs.

New arrival to the supermarket.

Per the name of the beer this is a clear amber colored beer with an off white head.

Fruity smelling like this whole series of beers it heavily suggests that this was fermented hot so that it could be sold quicker. Strong caramel aroma and a slight spicy aroma from the hops.

The taste starts off sweet and fruity with a big caramel taste to it and a solid bitter aftertaste. Lots of caramel taste and this is the flavor that defines this beer. Stronger than expected bitterness in the aftertaste this is fairly good. There is a persistent fruity flavor present from esters that heavily suggest hot fermentation like a malt liquor.

The mouthfeel is good.

An OK beer from a generally not so great brewery. If you have to drink one of these Tap Room 21 beers this is the one to pick.

2.07/5  rDev -24.2%

A: nice amber color but still fairly clear. It did have a nice fluffy white head though.

S: Nothing I could really get, pretty lacking in this department.

T: Bland, bland, bland. A little bit of caramel and fruity sweetness but nothing to get my attention at all.

M: Sweet and sticky, almost like drinking a pop in terms of feel and carbonation.

D: Easy to drink, but why would you want to because its nothing I would even drive down the street to get.

The overall lacking of this beer has to do with this short review.

Slightly strange after taste. Probably would not do again.

to view more.