Cable Car Small Batch Lager - World Brews

Cable Car Small Batch LagerCable Car Small Batch Lager

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Jemonster:
2.17/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Slightly pale orange gold with no head after settling.
bubbled light carbonation.

S: Barely any scent.

T: Sweet malt with some light herbal notes. No hops and not much flavor. Not much else.

M: Not quite carbonated enough. Viscosity is very middle of the road.

O: Meh. Nothing special or anything that stands out whatsoever.

2.08/5  rDev -23.5%

Yellow pour, looks abysmal like BMC but without the vibrance or clarity. Aroma is of detergent.

Had that corn light adjunct taste going for it. One of those beers that is so bland, it is actually difficult to drink, something off in the mouthfeel/aftertaste, possibly skunked a little bit, or aged, or both.

$5 a 6 pack, not even worth that. Not even in hot weather.

2.65/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

355ml bottle, 4.5% ABV. My inquiries into the conspiracy-prone nature of this offering in relation to all its shelf-adjacent friends, have sadly fallen on deaf ears, from retail store, through black-hooded distributor, all the way to the obvious brewers themselves. Fuck it, fuck 'em all.

This beer pours a somewhat hazy medium golden straw colour, with two fingers of puffy, foamy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves some streaky alien alphabet lace around the glass as it surprisingly lingers in its ebbing out of existence.

It smells of grainy, stale hay bales, hollow lemon cleanser, and old partially melted plastic toy soldiers. The taste is semi-sweet corny, grainy malt, a touch of stale cereal, underwhelmingly pithy, bland citrus fruit, admittedly tame stewed veggies, and a lingering, and mostly obtrusive petrochemical essence.

The carbonation is present, perfunctory, and little else, the body barely above the light side of things, weight-wise, and smooth with a rather ungainly, well, white noise nothingness. It finishes just off-dry, the sweet, corn-fed graininess and now established vegetal skank really offering nothing more than what you should rightly imagine.

Not the worst example of the style, I suppose, but it shows enough of the 'standard' attributes to make me gag just a tad, and pushing forward, does nothing for beerdom, or likewise my stomach, as a whole.

3.25/5  rDev +19.5%

2.5/5  rDev -8.1%

You can call a beer "small batch" and put a trendy label on the bottle, but mediocre is mediocre. A touch harsh at the front, then settles down to a moderate but one-dimensional bittering. Some out of balance sweetness moves in toward the end, where some astringent clean-up is needed. Overall, nicely packaged, somewhat more hopped Pabst Blue Ribbon.

3.7/5  rDev +36%

I learned of this beer from a neighbor who knew I liked a Lager style American beer. I was very skeptical until I tasted it. Hell, I even read reviews on this site about it and most of the reviews were not the most flattering, yet I tried it any ways.

It was exceptionally refreshing. I have no sense of smell so I gave it an average 3.0 rating as I have for all the beers I have reviewed. The color was basic. Nothing special about it at all. The taste and mouth feel though were nice. It was very smooth and had not a taste at all of bitterness. I did not feel full after a six pack and the price was right for this style of beer. My mouth and thirst were clinched in a very surprised way. I would not necessarily go out and purchase this beer on a regular occasion but I would definitely drink it on a here and there scale. It was very much worth it for me to try this beer.

2.75/5  rDev +1.1%

2.58/5  rDev -5.1%

Needed to clear some room in the fridge, so I had to drink it.

Got this in December from my coworker who gave me a multi-pack of beers. Thanks, Justin.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in my snifter glass. Really, I'm giving this much respect to a lager? Well, here we go.

A - A clear orangish color. There was a faint head at first, but it disappeared quickly.

S - Some grains, some corn. Maybe some faint whisps of chardonnay style grapes. Nothing good.

T - There's really not much flavor. Maybe some corn and grain qualities mixed in, but nothing I can really pick out.

M - Crisp and carbonated. It'd be nice to have on a warm day after running a mara...no, not really. I'd prefer an IPA over this.

D - Meh

2.35/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance: Surprisingly light and straw-ey for a lager. Tiny bubbles in the head. If the bottle didn't say "lager", I'd swear this was a middle-of-the-road light beer from the appearance in my pint glass.

Smell: Not a lot in the aroma. Swirling and nose is almost in the beer and I'm not getting anything.

Taste: That's odd. And not in a good way. I guess it's beer but this is way, way nondescript. Nothing of note. Which is weird because the packaging is actually quite sharp. I like the little details of the label - the numbering, dating on the necker, old-style lettering. But the taste is nothing but... ehhh.

Mouthfeel: I've got to say: Disappointing. Real thin on the taste buds. This isn't like any lager I've had. It feels like a light, kinda watery beer in my mouth.

Drinkability: No, not really. I couldn't recommend this to a friend or otherwise. Admire the cool packaging, steer away from the beer. I won't be getting back on the "Cable Car."

2.3/5  rDev -15.4%

A clear golden beer whit at white head that leaves some lacing.

Mostly malt notes, sweet and a bit chemical (soap).

The taste is also mainly malt and grains. Some acidity, lemon. Too little bitterness.

Low carbonation, watery and uncomplex.

Nope, not ugly, but not a favorite.

1.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Wow...so I should say I bought this sorta by mistake. On a recent Cali trip I stopped at a Bevmo and say this on sale for $5 a sixer (reg 8 or 9). I figured it was a good deal and hadn't heard of it before so thought why not? Several reasons why not too...pours yellow with fizzy head, smells like old malt syrup, taste dirty and soapy, mouthfeel is off, and just barely drinkable. So i know that's not the best review ever but this beer was just bad I thought. I would honestly prefer just about any macro lager over this.

3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

A buddy of mine surprised me with a bottle of this earlier today and needless to say, I applauded his decision that he didn't buy something mainstream.

A - mildly yellow, nothing too spectacular for this lager.

S - much stronger for a lager, but not by much. As another reviewer said before, it possessed somewhat of a piney smell as well.

T - smooth and refreshing. For a beer I had never heard of before, it was a nice surprise, as it also had a crispy aftertaste.

M - Smooth, yet watery. Even though it was a good beer, it still had a bit of watery retention in it, almost giving it an unfinished quality. Not bad at all.

D - six packs of this can certainly be gone within a short amount of time. This stuff does have an addicting taste to it, and it's a whole lot more wholesome than other lagers.

2.33/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pee-coloured, bubbly on the glass. Little bright white head.

S: Like metal and corn. Nothing remotely special.

T: A little sweeter and hoppier than most AAL's but still pretty bad. Very corny and metallic.

M: Rough and highly carbonated, just a hint of alcohol for some reason. Rusty aftertaste

O: Just not very good. Its only inches above BMC standards. Bland beer that doesn't escape the pit that is the American Adjunct Lager.

2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Crystal clear pale straw color with a white frothy head that didn't stick around too long. Visibly carbonated. Aroma has the familiar grainy, corny sweetness of adjunct lagers. Minimal malt aroma and no hops whatsoever. Taste is crisp and dry with some grainy sweetness and not much else. High carbonation gives it quite the dry bite. Mouthfeel is very light bodied and very carbonated. On the plus side, this makes it extremely drinkable and refreshing.

3.8/5  rDev +39.7%

I will do my best to review based purely on style and will attempt to save personal opinion for the last category. Regarding this style, I'm sure you all understand.

The head is a huge 2+ fingers and creamy with the smallest bubbles I have ever seen, and that includes Guiness and other nitro tap beers. Honestly looks like nitro-tap. Crystal clear and the color of late fall corn; is NOT the color of piss yellow. Adequately carbonated. Perfect for the style.

Smells very sweet and creamy (as in a cream ale). Must be a lot of adjunct in this one as it smells just a like cream ale, an ale brewed with a high percentage of simple sugars to lighten the body of the beer. I imagine smelling some neutral earthy hop in there, but I can't be sure. I could stand it being a little less sweet.

Tastes like a cream ale, light and sweet, but with a very low degree of bitterness, but bitterness nonetheless. A little cardboard, some minerals, and a little hoppiness.

Very light and smooth with a bubbly, though not harsh, carbonation.

Too sweet for my taste, though on tap it would be a good brew. I bought this at the Whole Foods for 5.99. For the price it is a good beer and I want to try their amber ale. @ 5.99 as well some more flavor can only enhance the value. Not the best, but at the price I could drink this one instead of a northcoast scrimshaw which is $10 a sixer most places.

2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

Sampled from the bottle. Pours a golden color with only a small amount of head retention. Little lacing. Slightly grainy and sweet with touches of malt and corn. Pretty simple but refreshing and drinkable. Kind of a ho hum Lager and a notch above swill level.

This is very yellow, almost the color of apple juice with a foamy white head.

First and foremost in the scent is the maltiness, then comes a bit of skunk and the citrus (probably orange and lemon).

The taste is malty at first and ends with a good bit of citrus, similar to the smell. For a lager it is pretty decent.

This is pretty drinkable, and a deal at $4.99 for a 6-pack.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »