Cable Car Small Batch Lager - World Brews

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2007

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.67/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

355ml bottle, 4.5% ABV. My inquiries into the conspiracy-prone nature of this offering in relation to all its shelf-adjacent friends, have sadly fallen on deaf ears, from retail store, through black-hooded distributor, all the way to the obvious brewers themselves. Fuck it, fuck 'em all.

This beer pours a somewhat hazy medium golden straw colour, with two fingers of puffy, foamy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves some streaky alien alphabet lace around the glass as it surprisingly lingers in its ebbing out of existence.

It smells of grainy, stale hay bales, hollow lemon cleanser, and old partially melted plastic toy soldiers. The taste is semi-sweet corny, grainy malt, a touch of stale cereal, underwhelmingly pithy, bland citrus fruit, admittedly tame stewed veggies, and a lingering, and mostly obtrusive petrochemical essence.

The carbonation is present, perfunctory, and little else, the body barely above the light side of things, weight-wise, and smooth with a rather ungainly, well, white noise nothingness. It finishes just off-dry, the sweet, corn-fed graininess and now established vegetal skank really offering nothing more than what you should rightly imagine.

Not the worst example of the style, I suppose, but it shows enough of the 'standard' attributes to make me gag just a tad, and pushing forward, does nothing for beerdom, or likewise my stomach, as a whole.

2.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a light yellow with a lot of foam. Thin, fizzy, yellow? Smells like it. Doesn’t taste like much, either. Corn and adjuncts? The sweetness is there, as is the flat finish. An easy drinker if you don’t care what you’re drinking. Used this to cleanse my palate and moved on.

2.22/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. About ¾ inches to an inch of head. Color was a clear golden. A slight lacing with a bit more white film on the sides of the glass on the initial pour. Fairly bland look.

Light malt, almost sweet, leads the way on the nose. The malt comes back with a deep sniff, more of a malty corn.

Initial taste was a bland, malty corn mix of average. That was about it, hardly an impressive following. Miller Lite comes to mind and I hate Miller Lite.

I guess I would call it refreshing, but bland and blah could replace refreshing. High on the carbonation. Corn and Miller Lite kept coming to mind.

3.16/5  rDev +17.9%

Settles down immediately with no head, no aroma. Couldn't be less exciting....Taste begins a tad bitter but goes down smooth and somewhat refreshing. Tastes like a Pilzner similar to Miller Lite. Looks like typical "beer" but does have some refining taste to it. Have had better for cheaper.

2.2/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Slightly pale orange gold with no head after settling.
bubbled light carbonation.

S: Barely any scent.

T: Sweet malt with some light herbal notes. No hops and not much flavor. Not much else.

M: Not quite carbonated enough. Viscosity is very middle of the road.

O: Meh. Nothing special or anything that stands out whatsoever.

3.65/5  rDev +36.2%

I learned of this beer from a neighbor who knew I liked a Lager style American beer. I was very skeptical until I tasted it. Hell, I even read reviews on this site about it and most of the reviews were not the most flattering, yet I tried it any ways.

It was exceptionally refreshing. I have no sense of smell so I gave it an average 3.0 rating as I have for all the beers I have reviewed. The color was basic. Nothing special about it at all. The taste and mouth feel though were nice. It was very smooth and had not a taste at all of bitterness. I did not feel full after a six pack and the price was right for this style of beer. My mouth and thirst were clinched in a very surprised way. I would not necessarily go out and purchase this beer on a regular occasion but I would definitely drink it on a here and there scale. It was very much worth it for me to try this beer.

You can call a beer "small batch" and put a trendy label on the bottle, but mediocre is mediocre. A touch harsh at the front, then settles down to a moderate but one-dimensional bittering. Some out of balance sweetness moves in toward the end, where some astringent clean-up is needed. Overall, nicely packaged, somewhat more hopped Pabst Blue Ribbon.

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pee-coloured, bubbly on the glass. Little bright white head.

S: Like metal and corn. Nothing remotely special.

T: A little sweeter and hoppier than most AAL's but still pretty bad. Very corny and metallic.

M: Rough and highly carbonated, just a hint of alcohol for some reason. Rusty aftertaste

O: Just not very good. Its only inches above BMC standards. Bland beer that doesn't escape the pit that is the American Adjunct Lager.

2.07/5  rDev -22.8%

Yellow pour, looks abysmal like BMC but without the vibrance or clarity. Aroma is of detergent.

Had that corn light adjunct taste going for it. One of those beers that is so bland, it is actually difficult to drink, something off in the mouthfeel/aftertaste, possibly skunked a little bit, or aged, or both.

$5 a 6 pack, not even worth that. Not even in hot weather.

2.93/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Crystal clear pale straw color with a white frothy head that didn't stick around too long. Visibly carbonated. Aroma has the familiar grainy, corny sweetness of adjunct lagers. Minimal malt aroma and no hops whatsoever. Taste is crisp and dry with some grainy sweetness and not much else. High carbonation gives it quite the dry bite. Mouthfeel is very light bodied and very carbonated. On the plus side, this makes it extremely drinkable and refreshing.

2.59/5  rDev -3.4%

It pours just fine, the typical orange-yellow shade of the BMCs. Leaves a thin white head very briefly but don't look away or it will be gone. Flavor is a bit malty but overall just extremely watery. Mine had a nice bit of carbonation that maintained about halfway through, then went completely flat. A perfect fine beer for a $4.99 6-pack from Fresh & Easy. Might not be great, but hey, at least it goes really well with my garlic white pizza lean pocket.

3.77/5  rDev +40.7%

I will do my best to review based purely on style and will attempt to save personal opinion for the last category. Regarding this style, I'm sure you all understand.

The head is a huge 2+ fingers and creamy with the smallest bubbles I have ever seen, and that includes Guiness and other nitro tap beers. Honestly looks like nitro-tap. Crystal clear and the color of late fall corn; is NOT the color of piss yellow. Adequately carbonated. Perfect for the style.

Smells very sweet and creamy (as in a cream ale). Must be a lot of adjunct in this one as it smells just a like cream ale, an ale brewed with a high percentage of simple sugars to lighten the body of the beer. I imagine smelling some neutral earthy hop in there, but I can't be sure. I could stand it being a little less sweet.

Tastes like a cream ale, light and sweet, but with a very low degree of bitterness, but bitterness nonetheless. A little cardboard, some minerals, and a little hoppiness.

Very light and smooth with a bubbly, though not harsh, carbonation.

Too sweet for my taste, though on tap it would be a good brew. I bought this at the Whole Foods for 5.99. For the price it is a good beer and I want to try their amber ale. @ 5.99 as well some more flavor can only enhance the value. Not the best, but at the price I could drink this one instead of a northcoast scrimshaw which is $10 a sixer most places.

3.09/5  rDev +15.3%

12 oz bottle poured into imperial pint glass. Purchased at a Chicago Whole Foods.

A rough pour left a good inch of head with reasonable retention.

Nose is a little sweet, mostly grainy.

Good drinkability. Just got back from a bike ride, and it's a refreshing and smooth beer. Good lawnmower beer. Wish it had a more pronounced hop profile, would balance out the sweetness better.

Just a little more flavor than your standard macro. Nothing special, but accessible.

2.57/5  rDev -4.1%

This is cheap beer packaged and labeled to look like a microbrew. I was fooled. Nowhere does it say it is brewed by City Brewery in LaCrosse. If it did, you'd know what to expect because all their beers are cheap macros. It tastes close to LaCrosse Lager, BUT here you are getting ripped off paying $8 for a six pack, instead of $12 for 30 CANS of LaCrosse. So, this beer is a scam, pure and simple. Now, I happen to think at $12/30 LaCrosse is a good deal. But, getting it with a fancy label for 4X the price is criminal.

Drinkability is far less than LaCrosse Lager, because after all how drinkable is something that puts an unjustifiable squeeze on your wallet?

Do not be fooled by this beer. Stay away. Someone should feel shame for foisting this BS on honest beer drinkers.

2.24/5  rDev -16.4%

Aroma is mainly fruity with a malty undertone. It pours a rather uninspiring clear straw yellow with a typical white head that disappears quickly. Flavor is rather wan, malty and fruity but not nearly as hearty as the aroma. Texture is a bit on the flat side, though there is a little bit of fizz. Nevertheless, I am glad that I gave this one a fair chance.

2.19/5  rDev -18.3%

Not as offensive as some in the style, but this is still a bad and extremely boring beer. In all good conscience, I can't give this beer a good score regardless of how it compares to the style (and it's not even that good for the style - I'd probably give it ~3.1 on a strict style comparison basis).

Anyway, it pours a bit darker than average with a touch of haze and a small, dissipating white head. All I get from smelling the beer is a tiny hint of overly sweet malt. And the flavor confirms that impression. Actually, the flavor also reveals some vegetal off-notes. However, the biggest offense is that this beer is just incredibly bland. There's very, very little flavor. The mouthfeel is watery. I guess it's not offensive or difficult to drink, but there's basically nothing about this beer that makes me want to drink it.

This is very yellow, almost the color of apple juice with a foamy white head.

First and foremost in the scent is the maltiness, then comes a bit of skunk and the citrus (probably orange and lemon).

The taste is malty at first and ends with a good bit of citrus, similar to the smell. For a lager it is pretty decent.

This is pretty drinkable, and a deal at $4.99 for a 6-pack.

2.58/5  rDev -3.7%

Needed to clear some room in the fridge, so I had to drink it.

Got this in December from my coworker who gave me a multi-pack of beers. Thanks, Justin.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in my snifter glass. Really, I'm giving this much respect to a lager? Well, here we go.

A - A clear orangish color. There was a faint head at first, but it disappeared quickly.

S - Some grains, some corn. Maybe some faint whisps of chardonnay style grapes. Nothing good.

T - There's really not much flavor. Maybe some corn and grain qualities mixed in, but nothing I can really pick out.

M - Crisp and carbonated. It'd be nice to have on a warm day after running a, not really. I'd prefer an IPA over this.

D - Meh

1.88/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2 I should say I bought this sorta by mistake. On a recent Cali trip I stopped at a Bevmo and say this on sale for $5 a sixer (reg 8 or 9). I figured it was a good deal and hadn't heard of it before so thought why not? Several reasons why not too...pours yellow with fizzy head, smells like old malt syrup, taste dirty and soapy, mouthfeel is off, and just barely drinkable. So i know that's not the best review ever but this beer was just bad I thought. I would honestly prefer just about any macro lager over this.

2.28/5  rDev -14.9%

A clear golden beer whit at white head that leaves some lacing.

Mostly malt notes, sweet and a bit chemical (soap).

The taste is also mainly malt and grains. Some acidity, lemon. Too little bitterness.

Low carbonation, watery and uncomplex.

Nope, not ugly, but not a favorite.

3.26/5  rDev +21.6%

i'm new to beer advocate so i don't know that i can give such an in depth review like everyone else. I love lager, so i try just about every one that i can find here in alabama. With our strict beer laws we don't have the variety that the rest of the country has. This is a new beer to our area. The packaging is pretty cool, each beer is labeled one cable car ride. On a twelve pack it is labeled twelve rides, you get the picture. This beer pours easy but dosen't form very much of a head maybe 1/4 of an inch. In the mouth it has a distinct hops taste like a watered down boston lager. has great drinkability. A good beer for backyard games (cornhole, frisbe, horseshoes).

2.35/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Surprisingly light and straw-ey for a lager. Tiny bubbles in the head. If the bottle didn't say "lager", I'd swear this was a middle-of-the-road light beer from the appearance in my pint glass.

Smell: Not a lot in the aroma. Swirling and nose is almost in the beer and I'm not getting anything.

Taste: That's odd. And not in a good way. I guess it's beer but this is way, way nondescript. Nothing of note. Which is weird because the packaging is actually quite sharp. I like the little details of the label - the numbering, dating on the necker, old-style lettering. But the taste is nothing but... ehhh.

Mouthfeel: I've got to say: Disappointing. Real thin on the taste buds. This isn't like any lager I've had. It feels like a light, kinda watery beer in my mouth.

Drinkability: No, not really. I couldn't recommend this to a friend or otherwise. Admire the cool packaging, steer away from the beer. I won't be getting back on the "Cable Car."

3.02/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Loved the packaging, very intriguing. My first thought was that it was some kind of new San Francisco beer, only to read that it was from Rochester, NY (interesting). Anyways, the pour was very bland, little to no head and your typical light, straw yellow color.

S: The smell is actually quite nice for a lager; malts and grains, some butter, some hops... overall sweet with a slight pine note in there. Inviting.

T: A little bit bland, to be honest. It tastes quite nice, but it's very basic... grains, malts, hops... a very slight butter, bread flavor lingering in the background. As someone else had mentioned, very slightly reminiscent of Anchor Steam, but much less flavorful.

M: A bit on the watery side, but that's pretty common for this style. Nonetheless, nothing spectacular to be found here in the mouth-feel category. Not much body or character.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. It's simplicity lends itself to be quite session-able. Overall it is just another average micro-brew... nothing special here but nothing displeasing either (and for less than a dollar a beer, nothing bad at all).

2.39/5  rDev -10.8%

When I first saw this, living where I do, I thought this was some new beer from San Francisco. I soon discovered that was false when looking at the label but decided to give it a try. I was greatly disappointed as this is apparently just another macro lager and a very bland, watery one at that. It doesn't even come close to the likes of Pabst or many others that are far elss expensive.

Gold, it has a small-medium head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring.

The aroma is pleasant basic lager - perfumy grain, hints of apple, grass, mineral. It'as a bit thin but still pretty good.

The taste is clearly a basic lager and after a decent start rapidly gets more bland and watery. It at first has light grain, apple cider, and hint of mineral water, light but pleasant and decent. This soon thins to very little taste, mostly just thin, fizzy mineral water with a very faint grain aftertaste. Thin, watery, and bland, it's better than Coors but not much.

2.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Sampled from the bottle. Pours a golden color with only a small amount of head retention. Little lacing. Slightly grainy and sweet with touches of malt and corn. Pretty simple but refreshing and drinkable. Kind of a ho hum Lager and a notch above swill level.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast