Cable Car Small Batch Lager - World Brews

Cable Car Small Batch LagerCable Car Small Batch Lager

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.65/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

355ml bottle, 4.5% ABV. My inquiries into the conspiracy-prone nature of this offering in relation to all its shelf-adjacent friends, have sadly fallen on deaf ears, from retail store, through black-hooded distributor, all the way to the obvious brewers themselves. Fuck it, fuck 'em all.

This beer pours a somewhat hazy medium golden straw colour, with two fingers of puffy, foamy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves some streaky alien alphabet lace around the glass as it surprisingly lingers in its ebbing out of existence.

It smells of grainy, stale hay bales, hollow lemon cleanser, and old partially melted plastic toy soldiers. The taste is semi-sweet corny, grainy malt, a touch of stale cereal, underwhelmingly pithy, bland citrus fruit, admittedly tame stewed veggies, and a lingering, and mostly obtrusive petrochemical essence.

The carbonation is present, perfunctory, and little else, the body barely above the light side of things, weight-wise, and smooth with a rather ungainly, well, white noise nothingness. It finishes just off-dry, the sweet, corn-fed graininess and now established vegetal skank really offering nothing more than what you should rightly imagine.

Not the worst example of the style, I suppose, but it shows enough of the 'standard' attributes to make me gag just a tad, and pushing forward, does nothing for beerdom, or likewise my stomach, as a whole.

biboergosum, Mar 08, 2013
2.08/5  rDev -23.5%

Yellow pour, looks abysmal like BMC but without the vibrance or clarity. Aroma is of detergent.

Had that corn light adjunct taste going for it. One of those beers that is so bland, it is actually difficult to drink, something off in the mouthfeel/aftertaste, possibly skunked a little bit, or aged, or both.

$5 a 6 pack, not even worth that. Not even in hot weather.

Beerandraiderfan, Feb 03, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -19.1%

Aroma is mainly fruity with a malty undertone. It pours a rather uninspiring clear straw yellow with a typical white head that disappears quickly. Flavor is rather wan, malty and fruity but not nearly as hearty as the aroma. Texture is a bit on the flat side, though there is a little bit of fizz. Nevertheless, I am glad that I gave this one a fair chance.

Cyberkedi, Aug 25, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -20.2%

Not as offensive as some in the style, but this is still a bad and extremely boring beer. In all good conscience, I can't give this beer a good score regardless of how it compares to the style (and it's not even that good for the style - I'd probably give it ~3.1 on a strict style comparison basis).

Anyway, it pours a bit darker than average with a touch of haze and a small, dissipating white head. All I get from smelling the beer is a tiny hint of overly sweet malt. And the flavor confirms that impression. Actually, the flavor also reveals some vegetal off-notes. However, the biggest offense is that this beer is just incredibly bland. There's very, very little flavor. The mouthfeel is watery. I guess it's not offensive or difficult to drink, but there's basically nothing about this beer that makes me want to drink it.

popery, May 26, 2010

You can call a beer "small batch" and put a trendy label on the bottle, but mediocre is mediocre. A touch harsh at the front, then settles down to a moderate but one-dimensional bittering. Some out of balance sweetness moves in toward the end, where some astringent clean-up is needed. Overall, nicely packaged, somewhat more hopped Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Brent, Jun 23, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -15.4%

A clear golden beer whit at white head that leaves some lacing.

Mostly malt notes, sweet and a bit chemical (soap).

The taste is also mainly malt and grains. Some acidity, lemon. Too little bitterness.

Low carbonation, watery and uncomplex.

Nope, not ugly, but not a favorite.

rarbring, Mar 23, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -14.3%

When I first saw this, living where I do, I thought this was some new beer from San Francisco. I soon discovered that was false when looking at the label but decided to give it a try. I was greatly disappointed as this is apparently just another macro lager and a very bland, watery one at that. It doesn't even come close to the likes of Pabst or many others that are far elss expensive.

Gold, it has a small-medium head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring.

The aroma is pleasant basic lager - perfumy grain, hints of apple, grass, mineral. It'as a bit thin but still pretty good.

The taste is clearly a basic lager and after a decent start rapidly gets more bland and watery. It at first has light grain, apple cider, and hint of mineral water, light but pleasant and decent. This soon thins to very little taste, mostly just thin, fizzy mineral water with a very faint grain aftertaste. Thin, watery, and bland, it's better than Coors but not much.

Offa, May 27, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a light yellow with a lot of foam. Thin, fizzy, yellow? Smells like it. Doesn’t taste like much, either. Corn and adjuncts? The sweetness is there, as is the flat finish. An easy drinker if you don’t care what you’re drinking. Used this to cleanse my palate and moved on.

elNopalero, Nov 23, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

Cable Car Small Batch Lager pours a golden yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is very little aroma, what I can smell is grainy. There isn't much in the way of flavor either, a little grain followed by a very mild sweetness. Not much to this one. It's not offensive, but on the other hand, it's not particularly tasty either.

Drew966, Oct 12, 2007

sd123, Feb 06, 2012

LJWalker, Oct 16, 2012

codynevels, Nov 16, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. About ¾ inches to an inch of head. Color was a clear golden. A slight lacing with a bit more white film on the sides of the glass on the initial pour. Fairly bland look.

Light malt, almost sweet, leads the way on the nose. The malt comes back with a deep sniff, more of a malty corn.

Initial taste was a bland, malty corn mix of average. That was about it, hardly an impressive following. Miller Lite comes to mind and I hate Miller Lite.

I guess I would call it refreshing, but bland and blah could replace refreshing. High on the carbonation. Corn and Miller Lite kept coming to mind.

BucannonXC5, Aug 25, 2011

TicoCali, Nov 21, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

Sampled from the bottle. Pours a golden color with only a small amount of head retention. Little lacing. Slightly grainy and sweet with touches of malt and corn. Pretty simple but refreshing and drinkable. Kind of a ho hum Lager and a notch above swill level.

changeup45, Aug 26, 2008
2.75/5  rDev +1.1%

allstar255, Feb 14, 2012

Beermazter310, Aug 15, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +39.7%

I will do my best to review based purely on style and will attempt to save personal opinion for the last category. Regarding this style, I'm sure you all understand.

The head is a huge 2+ fingers and creamy with the smallest bubbles I have ever seen, and that includes Guiness and other nitro tap beers. Honestly looks like nitro-tap. Crystal clear and the color of late fall corn; is NOT the color of piss yellow. Adequately carbonated. Perfect for the style.

Smells very sweet and creamy (as in a cream ale). Must be a lot of adjunct in this one as it smells just a like cream ale, an ale brewed with a high percentage of simple sugars to lighten the body of the beer. I imagine smelling some neutral earthy hop in there, but I can't be sure. I could stand it being a little less sweet.

Tastes like a cream ale, light and sweet, but with a very low degree of bitterness, but bitterness nonetheless. A little cardboard, some minerals, and a little hoppiness.

Very light and smooth with a bubbly, though not harsh, carbonation.

Too sweet for my taste, though on tap it would be a good brew. I bought this at the Whole Foods for 5.99. For the price it is a good beer and I want to try their amber ale. @ 5.99 as well some more flavor can only enhance the value. Not the best, but at the price I could drink this one instead of a northcoast scrimshaw which is $10 a sixer most places.

tapman, Oct 19, 2010

jesus808, Aug 02, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +36%

I learned of this beer from a neighbor who knew I liked a Lager style American beer. I was very skeptical until I tasted it. Hell, I even read reviews on this site about it and most of the reviews were not the most flattering, yet I tried it any ways.

It was exceptionally refreshing. I have no sense of smell so I gave it an average 3.0 rating as I have for all the beers I have reviewed. The color was basic. Nothing special about it at all. The taste and mouth feel though were nice. It was very smooth and had not a taste at all of bitterness. I did not feel full after a six pack and the price was right for this style of beer. My mouth and thirst were clinched in a very surprised way. I would not necessarily go out and purchase this beer on a regular occasion but I would definitely drink it on a here and there scale. It was very much worth it for me to try this beer.

tjsmith910, Jun 29, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -54%

terence, May 12, 2012

midnitesun11, Jan 23, 2014
1.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Wow...so I should say I bought this sorta by mistake. On a recent Cali trip I stopped at a Bevmo and say this on sale for $5 a sixer (reg 8 or 9). I figured it was a good deal and hadn't heard of it before so thought why not? Several reasons why not too...pours yellow with fizzy head, smells like old malt syrup, taste dirty and soapy, mouthfeel is off, and just barely drinkable. So i know that's not the best review ever but this beer was just bad I thought. I would honestly prefer just about any macro lager over this.

bunnyhustle, Apr 07, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Loved the packaging, very intriguing. My first thought was that it was some kind of new San Francisco beer, only to read that it was from Rochester, NY (interesting). Anyways, the pour was very bland, little to no head and your typical light, straw yellow color.

S: The smell is actually quite nice for a lager; malts and grains, some butter, some hops... overall sweet with a slight pine note in there. Inviting.

T: A little bit bland, to be honest. It tastes quite nice, but it's very basic... grains, malts, hops... a very slight butter, bread flavor lingering in the background. As someone else had mentioned, very slightly reminiscent of Anchor Steam, but much less flavorful.

M: A bit on the watery side, but that's pretty common for this style. Nonetheless, nothing spectacular to be found here in the mouth-feel category. Not much body or character.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. It's simplicity lends itself to be quite session-able. Overall it is just another average micro-brew... nothing special here but nothing displeasing either (and for less than a dollar a beer, nothing bad at all).

kflorence, Dec 20, 2009