1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Cable Car Small Batch Lager - World Brews

Cable Car Small Batch LagerCable Car Small Batch Lager

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.55/5  rDev -6.3%

It pours just fine, the typical orange-yellow shade of the BMCs. Leaves a thin white head very briefly but don't look away or it will be gone. Flavor is a bit malty but overall just extremely watery. Mine had a nice bit of carbonation that maintained about halfway through, then went completely flat. A perfect fine beer for a $4.99 6-pack from Fresh & Easy. Might not be great, but hey, at least it goes really well with my garlic white pizza lean pocket.

DevilSaint78, Oct 31, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +39.7%

I will do my best to review based purely on style and will attempt to save personal opinion for the last category. Regarding this style, I'm sure you all understand.

The head is a huge 2+ fingers and creamy with the smallest bubbles I have ever seen, and that includes Guiness and other nitro tap beers. Honestly looks like nitro-tap. Crystal clear and the color of late fall corn; is NOT the color of piss yellow. Adequately carbonated. Perfect for the style.

Smells very sweet and creamy (as in a cream ale). Must be a lot of adjunct in this one as it smells just a like cream ale, an ale brewed with a high percentage of simple sugars to lighten the body of the beer. I imagine smelling some neutral earthy hop in there, but I can't be sure. I could stand it being a little less sweet.

Tastes like a cream ale, light and sweet, but with a very low degree of bitterness, but bitterness nonetheless. A little cardboard, some minerals, and a little hoppiness.

Very light and smooth with a bubbly, though not harsh, carbonation.

Too sweet for my taste, though on tap it would be a good brew. I bought this at the Whole Foods for 5.99. For the price it is a good beer and I want to try their amber ale. @ 5.99 as well some more flavor can only enhance the value. Not the best, but at the price I could drink this one instead of a northcoast scrimshaw which is $10 a sixer most places.

tapman, Oct 19, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +14%

12 oz bottle poured into imperial pint glass. Purchased at a Chicago Whole Foods.

A rough pour left a good inch of head with reasonable retention.

Nose is a little sweet, mostly grainy.

Good drinkability. Just got back from a bike ride, and it's a refreshing and smooth beer. Good lawnmower beer. Wish it had a more pronounced hop profile, would balance out the sweetness better.

Just a little more flavor than your standard macro. Nothing special, but accessible.

hopjuicer, Sep 29, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -5.1%

This is cheap beer packaged and labeled to look like a microbrew. I was fooled. Nowhere does it say it is brewed by City Brewery in LaCrosse. If it did, you'd know what to expect because all their beers are cheap macros. It tastes close to LaCrosse Lager, BUT here you are getting ripped off paying $8 for a six pack, instead of $12 for 30 CANS of LaCrosse. So, this beer is a scam, pure and simple. Now, I happen to think at $12/30 LaCrosse is a good deal. But, getting it with a fancy label for 4X the price is criminal.

Drinkability is far less than LaCrosse Lager, because after all how drinkable is something that puts an unjustifiable squeeze on your wallet?

Do not be fooled by this beer. Stay away. Someone should feel shame for foisting this BS on honest beer drinkers.

MNJR, Sep 21, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -19.1%

Aroma is mainly fruity with a malty undertone. It pours a rather uninspiring clear straw yellow with a typical white head that disappears quickly. Flavor is rather wan, malty and fruity but not nearly as hearty as the aroma. Texture is a bit on the flat side, though there is a little bit of fizz. Nevertheless, I am glad that I gave this one a fair chance.

Cyberkedi, Aug 25, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -20.2%

Not as offensive as some in the style, but this is still a bad and extremely boring beer. In all good conscience, I can't give this beer a good score regardless of how it compares to the style (and it's not even that good for the style - I'd probably give it ~3.1 on a strict style comparison basis).

Anyway, it pours a bit darker than average with a touch of haze and a small, dissipating white head. All I get from smelling the beer is a tiny hint of overly sweet malt. And the flavor confirms that impression. Actually, the flavor also reveals some vegetal off-notes. However, the biggest offense is that this beer is just incredibly bland. There's very, very little flavor. The mouthfeel is watery. I guess it's not offensive or difficult to drink, but there's basically nothing about this beer that makes me want to drink it.

popery, May 26, 2010

This is very yellow, almost the color of apple juice with a foamy white head.

First and foremost in the scent is the maltiness, then comes a bit of skunk and the citrus (probably orange and lemon).

The taste is malty at first and ends with a good bit of citrus, similar to the smell. For a lager it is pretty decent.

This is pretty drinkable, and a deal at $4.99 for a 6-pack.

VWBuggirl, Apr 24, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -5.1%

Needed to clear some room in the fridge, so I had to drink it.

Got this in December from my coworker who gave me a multi-pack of beers. Thanks, Justin.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in my snifter glass. Really, I'm giving this much respect to a lager? Well, here we go.

A - A clear orangish color. There was a faint head at first, but it disappeared quickly.

S - Some grains, some corn. Maybe some faint whisps of chardonnay style grapes. Nothing good.

T - There's really not much flavor. Maybe some corn and grain qualities mixed in, but nothing I can really pick out.

M - Crisp and carbonated. It'd be nice to have on a warm day after running a mara...no, not really. I'd prefer an IPA over this.

D - Meh

Kaiser81, Apr 14, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Wow...so I should say I bought this sorta by mistake. On a recent Cali trip I stopped at a Bevmo and say this on sale for $5 a sixer (reg 8 or 9). I figured it was a good deal and hadn't heard of it before so thought why not? Several reasons why not too...pours yellow with fizzy head, smells like old malt syrup, taste dirty and soapy, mouthfeel is off, and just barely drinkable. So i know that's not the best review ever but this beer was just bad I thought. I would honestly prefer just about any macro lager over this.

bunnyhustle, Apr 07, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -15.4%

A clear golden beer whit at white head that leaves some lacing.

Mostly malt notes, sweet and a bit chemical (soap).

The taste is also mainly malt and grains. Some acidity, lemon. Too little bitterness.

Low carbonation, watery and uncomplex.

Nope, not ugly, but not a favorite.

rarbring, Mar 23, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +19.5%

i'm new to beer advocate so i don't know that i can give such an in depth review like everyone else. I love lager, so i try just about every one that i can find here in alabama. With our strict beer laws we don't have the variety that the rest of the country has. This is a new beer to our area. The packaging is pretty cool, each beer is labeled one cable car ride. On a twelve pack it is labeled twelve rides, you get the picture. This beer pours easy but dosen't form very much of a head maybe 1/4 of an inch. In the mouth it has a distinct hops taste like a watered down boston lager. has great drinkability. A good beer for backyard games (cornhole, frisbe, horseshoes).

rolltide82d, Mar 12, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance: Surprisingly light and straw-ey for a lager. Tiny bubbles in the head. If the bottle didn't say "lager", I'd swear this was a middle-of-the-road light beer from the appearance in my pint glass.

Smell: Not a lot in the aroma. Swirling and nose is almost in the beer and I'm not getting anything.

Taste: That's odd. And not in a good way. I guess it's beer but this is way, way nondescript. Nothing of note. Which is weird because the packaging is actually quite sharp. I like the little details of the label - the numbering, dating on the necker, old-style lettering. But the taste is nothing but... ehhh.

Mouthfeel: I've got to say: Disappointing. Real thin on the taste buds. This isn't like any lager I've had. It feels like a light, kinda watery beer in my mouth.

Drinkability: No, not really. I couldn't recommend this to a friend or otherwise. Admire the cool packaging, steer away from the beer. I won't be getting back on the "Cable Car."

jjh19, Jan 04, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Loved the packaging, very intriguing. My first thought was that it was some kind of new San Francisco beer, only to read that it was from Rochester, NY (interesting). Anyways, the pour was very bland, little to no head and your typical light, straw yellow color.

S: The smell is actually quite nice for a lager; malts and grains, some butter, some hops... overall sweet with a slight pine note in there. Inviting.

T: A little bit bland, to be honest. It tastes quite nice, but it's very basic... grains, malts, hops... a very slight butter, bread flavor lingering in the background. As someone else had mentioned, very slightly reminiscent of Anchor Steam, but much less flavorful.

M: A bit on the watery side, but that's pretty common for this style. Nonetheless, nothing spectacular to be found here in the mouth-feel category. Not much body or character.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. It's simplicity lends itself to be quite session-able. Overall it is just another average micro-brew... nothing special here but nothing displeasing either (and for less than a dollar a beer, nothing bad at all).

kflorence, Dec 20, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -14.3%

When I first saw this, living where I do, I thought this was some new beer from San Francisco. I soon discovered that was false when looking at the label but decided to give it a try. I was greatly disappointed as this is apparently just another macro lager and a very bland, watery one at that. It doesn't even come close to the likes of Pabst or many others that are far elss expensive.

Gold, it has a small-medium head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring.

The aroma is pleasant basic lager - perfumy grain, hints of apple, grass, mineral. It'as a bit thin but still pretty good.

The taste is clearly a basic lager and after a decent start rapidly gets more bland and watery. It at first has light grain, apple cider, and hint of mineral water, light but pleasant and decent. This soon thins to very little taste, mostly just thin, fizzy mineral water with a very faint grain aftertaste. Thin, watery, and bland, it's better than Coors but not much.

Offa, May 27, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

Sampled from the bottle. Pours a golden color with only a small amount of head retention. Little lacing. Slightly grainy and sweet with touches of malt and corn. Pretty simple but refreshing and drinkable. Kind of a ho hum Lager and a notch above swill level.

changeup45, Aug 26, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

A buddy of mine surprised me with a bottle of this earlier today and needless to say, I applauded his decision that he didn't buy something mainstream.

A - mildly yellow, nothing too spectacular for this lager.

S - much stronger for a lager, but not by much. As another reviewer said before, it possessed somewhat of a piney smell as well.

T - smooth and refreshing. For a beer I had never heard of before, it was a nice surprise, as it also had a crispy aftertaste.

M - Smooth, yet watery. Even though it was a good beer, it still had a bit of watery retention in it, almost giving it an unfinished quality. Not bad at all.

D - six packs of this can certainly be gone within a short amount of time. This stuff does have an addicting taste to it, and it's a whole lot more wholesome than other lagers.

Getinthevan, Jun 24, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured a light golden color, some white head that fades fairly quick. Smells of corn and grain. Tasted the same with some piney after tones. Didn't keep me wanting another but it's not terrible. It's a typical macro, but better than some, worse than others. You aren't missing anything if you haven't had it.

beeroclock, Nov 29, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

Cable Car Small Batch Lager pours a golden yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is very little aroma, what I can smell is grainy. There isn't much in the way of flavor either, a little grain followed by a very mild sweetness. Not much to this one. It's not offensive, but on the other hand, it's not particularly tasty either.

Drew966, Oct 12, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +59.2%

It has the taste of my favorite Leinenkugel original.
I love to wisconsin beers
Very clean and crisp very smooth

Hopefully miller Brewing does not buy this one like it did Leinenkugels.
My alltime favorite beers were Olympia, Grain Belt, Old Style.

This one is a keeper