Caguama Special Export - World Brews

Caguama Special ExportCaguama Special Export

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: JISurfer on 12-31-2007)
Reviews by Nerudamann:
3.33/5  rDev +36.5%

Look - Clear, very light/pale color. About a fingers worth of foam, decent carbonation.

Smell - Smells like a very light lager. Smells like it would have bits of corn or cereal cut in.

Taste - Very thin flavor, thus not much taste. Just a very slightly bit hopy if anything. Very little complexity here.

Mouthfeel - Texture is as thin as the flavor. Watery.

Drinkability - These would be easy to drink one after another due to the lack of taste and complexity. Not bitter though, and not much of an aftertaste at all, so would be easy to drink.

2.15/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours from green glass into pint glass, medium yellow with a small, relatively durable head and more lace than I expected.

Smell is standard adjuncty-Mexican beer with a lot of wet grass.

Flavor is interesting - a bit more substantial than I expected. Thick grain up front, with some floral hops and a bit of fruityness behind. In the aftertaste, the fruitiness comes forward and intensifies, becoming more like skunkiness. I think this one may have spent a little too much time on the boat from El Salvador.

Slightly thick, medium carbonation, mouthfeel is nothing special. The skunky aftertaste substantially hurts drinkability - I doubt I'll have too much of this.

1.38/5  rDev -43.4%

A: pours a light straw colored yellow with a tiny head that immediately dissipates leaving no lacing, clear with much bubbling
S: skunk, grass, corn,... bad
T: sugary corn, slightly metallic, not much else
M: overly carbonated water, unpleasant aftertaste
O: this beer from El Salvador is pretty rough, it's drinkable but isn't good even by adjunct lager standards, it's only redeeming quality is the cute sea turtle on the bottle's painted on label

4.33/5  rDev +77.5%

This is a nice beer for those hot days when you need a refreshing lager. Has a nice light body with matching hop impression and a clean, crisp character. This lager poured a brilliant, clear, golden color with smooth off white head. One tip is to drink this beer cold as possible. I find it interesting that the Export is so much better than the regular Caguama.

3.83/5  rDev +57%

I started drinking this beer when Kroger started carrying it, they always have Caguama beers for a great price. So far, Kroger is still the only place I've seen stock it, but Kroger always has plenty of it.

I drink everything from stouts, to european ales, lagers, all of it. I hate drinking coors/miller/bud. I've always been a fan of mexican/south american beers, but have never liked Corona very much.

This, This is definitely a light-tasting beer, espeically for not being a "light" beer. Has similiar characteristics of a Corona, but I feel it is MUCH more drinkable and less skunky. It is one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had. Great for cooling off on a hot day! Granted, it is thin-bodied, thin mouthfeel, but it has a sweet kind of taste I've never tasted in a beer before, I don't know exactly how to describe it. It goes down smooth and easy...and like I already said - very refreshing! I know Caguama doesn't get much love on this site - but I really enjoy this beer's easy drinkability. some beer salt and/or a wedge of lime compliment this beer well, I think better than a Corona.

It has a better flavor than the regular Caguama export, although I get a better buy with regular Caguama ($9.99 for a 12-pack). At the very least, I would drink this over any mass-produced American lager!

2.53/5  rDev +3.7%

I saw this one next to the Caguama I've already had, yes, the one that tasted horrible. It was in a different bottle and had Special Export on it, so I figured it must be a different beer from the brewery that makes this. I was pleasantly suprised on this one. That's not really saying a whole lot, cause the other one from them is so nasty, but this one was at least tolerable.

There is a little skunk in the smell, but nothing as dreadful as the original. It's accompanied by a strong corn smell, with a faint hoppiness. The taste was more prevolent with the corn, malts, and slight hops, than the skunk. This made it more drinkable than the original, so I would buy this again, especially if it's gonna be a hot one. Good beer to cool off with or sip on the beach. Ofcourse, I could drink any beer at the beach.

1.75/5  rDev -28.3%

2.23/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a clear light gold with a 1/2 inch foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Thin foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grains and some mineral-like aromas. Taste is mainly of grain with a bit of sugar and minerals on the finish. There is a very mild hop presence that quickly fades with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer and definitely something I wouldn't visit again.

3.25/5  rDev +33.2%

1.8/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Okay, I'm trying to be fair with this one. It pours a light yellow with a slight head that disapates almost immediately. I don't smell any skunk like I'd heard. It has more of a citrus smell to it I think, but with a hint of something else I can't quite identify. The taste is like no other beer I've ever tasted. It's got heavily carbonated with a hint of citrus, and quite a lot of malt flavor, but a hint of "whatever that is". I just can't put my finger on it, and I can't quite say whether it's unique, or whether "whatever it is" is awful. In any case, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the other five bottles. I'm having a hard time drinking this because of "whatever it is". Thinking about it a bit, and trying to identify it, it's almost like a cross between grass and corn maybe. The more I taste it though, the more I've decided it's unpleasant. I don't think I'll be able to finish it.

update: *sigh*... I ended up tossing the other bottles. Just couldn't do it. I tried to be fair, but I just couldn't bring myself to open another one. I am glad other people like it okay, and maybe you would. Try it, but don't say I didn't warn you, lol.

2.25/5  rDev -7.8%

2.93/5  rDev +20.1%

Appearance: Looks near identical to the Caguama Light and Caguama, so, again, let's just copy/paste that here: Pours out a clear, fairly light yellow body with an airy, dainty-looking, white head.

Smell: Tenuous notes of light malts, light hops, and corn. Everything light and mild.

Taste: Lightly sweet, lightly grainy ultra pale malts. Small touch of white corn. Floral hops with just a hint of bitterness for balance. Finishes dry, clean, and relatively crisp.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Delightfully tolerable! Oh, the things you'll find at Kroger. Though by no means a thrilling lager experience, it is the best of the Caguama bunch.

2.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a rather typical clear straw yellow with a thin white head, not very inspiring. Aroma is crispy and malty and a teeny bit fruity, and not too strong. Flavor is typically malty, not strong but at least you know it's beer. Texture is smooth and fairly tingly - this brew's strongest point.

Caguama Special Export from World Brews