San Lucas Cerveza - World Brews

San Lucas CervezaSan Lucas Cerveza

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-06-2002)
2.5/5  rDev -6%

4.5/5  rDev +69.2%

lucas, Mar 04, 2012

JohnBeerRun, Feb 03, 2012
3.18/5  rDev +19.5%

Appearance has a light golden yellow color with a thin easily dissapating head and no lace. Smell is clean and not overpowering with adjuncts. Taste is again light in the adjuncts having mild hops, goes down pretty easy. mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. An easy drinker, nothing complex, good on a hot summer day.

Bookseeb, May 16, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +12%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: straw yellow with light layer of lacing.

Smell: Sulfur, typical skunk scent.

Taste: Sweet malts, corn, sort of smooth with a light bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: Meh, needs more body and more of a hop character. Not the most appealing beer. I'm really glad I got this free.

wmtxbb, Jan 09, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +32.7%

Found a 32oz bottle of this at a little gourmet store downtown.

A - Fizzy white foam on top of a hazy yellow brew.

S - Fresh and salty. This smells different from what I was expecting, which is another yellow Mexican/Carribean/Central American watery lager. This actually smells like it has some substance... wheaty even.

T - Saltine cracker and Lemonheads candy. A nice little hop punch makes this stand out from the yellow lager crowd.

M - Medium bodied and crisp. This has a very high level of carbonation, but it feels a little creamy on top of the crispness.

D - Great summer session brew... and the 32 oz bottle encourages large gulps ... *ahem*... I mean sips.

pmcadamis, May 23, 2010
2.68/5  rDev +0.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked FL-L10-BABFA1. Sampled on August 30, 2009 in 83 degree, sunny weather and no humidity.

It pours pale yellow with so much clarity it is almost like looking through water. The puffy, foamy head is generous but does not last long. Upon first whiff you get that awful skunkiness and grassy combo so associated with these Latin American beers and that is almost an immediate turnoff. It made me a bit uneasy about taking the first sip but I must admit the taste dashed my first negative impression with a kind of sweet malt, light hop, crisp balance. Nice recovery. I am not saying this was a great beer but it was another reminder that first impressions can be misleading. Low alcohol and thin mouthfeel so it is easy to down several of these back to back. Next time I will drop in a lime wedge.

puboflyons, Aug 30, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +37.2%

Appearance: Yellow fizzy, average macro lager. Though the head didn't last long.

Smell: The smell was a little corn, a little skunk, maybe a wisp of urine.

Taste: Mild, smooth, not noticeably skunky, corn sweetness, mixed with a tartness reminiscent of lime. Maybe a little skunk on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, a little tart.

Drinkability: Easy drinking a very decent macro though not worth the import price in my opinion.

Stonebreaker, Jul 20, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -19.2%

NOTE: (Since updates are rarely listened to) ABV of this beer is listed as 4.6% on the bottle.

Had one bottle left over from Caesar Chavez Day. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours out clear and watery. Pale gold in color with crystal clarity. Light carbonation streams within. Head fizzes up to a height of about one finger, but dies to a sticky crown very quickly. Light lacing.

Smell: Skunky. Smells like lime has already been added to it - what?! Grainy malt and clean hops. Very similar to Corona in this category, though I may rate this one a touch better.

Taste: Not as bad as the smell suggests. Then again, maybe the assault of fizzy carbonation is just numbing my taste buds. I'm detecting sweet and grainy malt, extra tart lemon/lime juice, and clean grassy hops. Once again skunky, but not as skunky as the smell.

Mouthfeel: Thin, light, and very highly carbonated. Really attacks the mouth, and then gasses up the belly. Ugh... this is belch fuel. Also feels a tad malty. Not as clean as initially stated either.

Drinkability: I would choose this over a number of other macro lagers, but it still sucks. For Corona fans out there, give this one a try. You really can't beat it for the money.

ThreeWiseMen, Apr 09, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +14.7%

Saw single bottles of this one on "special" and figured I'd give it a shot. I'll preface by noting that the packaging kicks ass. The graphic designer and art major in me probably bought solely based in the nicely silk-screened 12-oz bottle with a jumping marlin. Already won me over. anyway...

pours a golden straw color, slightly more golden/darker than other macro lagers (corona) with the usual decent head of a lemon-white that fell fairly quickly with some rice-krispie snap crackle and pop. There's some decent lacing down the glass and a ring that stays. Some large bubbles rise to the top, reminiscent of a fish tank.

fairly strong aroma given the style. Grainy, a bit wheaty, and some heavy sour skunky malt going on. Not horribly offensive skunk - more like skunk cabbage... natural and veggie. Hints of citrus sour and lemon zest. Nothing amazing, but i'm still surprised there's such a strong aroma.

Taste of wheat, grain, some lemon/citrus zest, and a bit of spicy zest. Almost verges on bready malt, but only slightly. crackers, citrus, spice, there's stronger flavor and a bit more than I was expecting.

Definitely not watery, which is what I was anticipating. A bit of creaminess and the spiciness carries through nicely onto the tongue. Again, a bit more character than I was expecting.

Not bad for a cheap macro. I'd probably favor this over corona, as it's got just a hint more character. Nothing amazing, but if you're craving a macro lager and stumble across this one, i'd say it's worth a shot.

djeucalyptus, Oct 29, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance - Light, straw yellow with a thin white head that dissipated quickly.

Smell - Slightly skunky

Taste - A hint of cereal grains, but mainly acidic. Not much flavor.

Mouthfeel - Watery

Drinkability - Decent beer for a hot summer day. There are better lagers that I would go for.

Overall - Not recommended, it would be better to stick with a Corona.

tbeck, Jul 14, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -19.9%

This was a clear 12 0z bottle.

I had really low expectations for this...at best I thought it might be as good (hopefully) as Corona. Let's see....

The color is an unflattering yellow snow color, totally clear, plenty of bubbles.

The smell is a bit bigger than I had imagined, with a very fresh-doughy aroma from the malt, musty and sour tinged lager yeast is detectable along with the obvious skunky herbalness that seems so classic for this style.

A light, crispy lager with it's very-bready, doughy malt seems to get the lions share of the flavor, of course right along side is the skunky, green herbal hop and tangy yeast. That's about it. I thougt this had more malt than corona so it beats it by a nose in the flavor.

It's starts out o.k and just gewts worse...fast. Still I enjoyed this more than cororna.

GratefulBeerGuy, Dec 28, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -16.2%

Appearance is deep yellow with somewhat of a head only if poured straight into a glass.

The smell of the beer is unpleasant, smelled of an old grain silo in midsummer. Although it does take alot of sniffing to get any smell at all out of it.

The tasted is of very grainy (Lots of corn) with very very small hints of some light citrus. It leaves feeling you just drank some soda water.

Mouthfeel is ordinary, light bodied.

I found it was better to drink this ice cold to cover some of the off flavors this beer had. Although I had to search very hard to get any kind of flavor or aroma out of this beer. I will be buying another kind of beer as my thirst quencher.

baugherlager, Aug 16, 2005
2.48/5  rDev -6.8%

Straight out of the bottle so I'm not sure how it would look but if it is like its cousins, I wouldn't expect much head. A bit darker golden than Corona but still lighter than I like. Nothing to the smell.

It actually doesn't taste too bad. Pretty smooth but nothing distinctive about it to set it apart. Just some beer flavor, maybe a little lemon but I'm not even sure on that. I did expect it to be more watery so that surprised me when it wasn't.

The drinkability is average because I was thirsty and it quenched my thirst. I could have had another without thinking it was so bad. But not too impressive.

misterscooter, Apr 18, 2005
1.35/5  rDev -49.2%

Was fancying a nice refreshing light lager after work and spotted this ( well I chanced one bottle).
Nice packaging 12 oz screen printed label.
Not the worst looking Latin American lager I have seen, typival pale yellow with a large bubbly white head that goes very fast..still some lacing.
Im sorry the "aroma" of this beer is wretched..like they tried to out-skunk Corona ( and just about managed) gross.
Same as the taste..offensive as Corona..w..with a sickly cloying aftertaste.
The moiuthfeel is better than the taste of "aroma", its just typical thin lager.
Not too drinkable at all..even as hot and tired as I am..luckilly i bought a sixer of PBR..that sounds like a treat right now.

Reidrover, Mar 10, 2005
2.15/5  rDev -19.2%

Thin, pale, clear, sickly yellow hue. This might be the lightest yellow beer I’ve ever seen. Gross. The white head reached a modest half finger. Pretty good retention, a small cap remained for a long while, minimal spotty lace. The nose is repulsive. Adjuncts dominate, sweet corn mash, hints of cheap fusel alcohol, a dash of maltiness. While the 32 oz. bottle was clear I don’t detect any skunkiess, just some foul sulfur and a hint of DMS. Not inviting yet I took a sip anyway. The palate is surprisingly boring, little flavor input. At least it is not disgusting, right? The adjunct sweetness is very modest, bitterness is nil, and the maltiness is equally absent, a little husky. The carbonation provides the only discernible excitement on the tongue. Wow this is mind-numbingly boring! Medium-light in body, while it is not thin, it is water-like. The finish is clean and monotonous. This is a Corona knockoff, not only in taste but also in packaging. I realize this would be a preferred thirst-quenching lager on a hot summer day for some, not me however. I’ll pass on San Lucas if the opportunity arises again; I paid $2.00 for this tiresome drink in a grocery store in Omaha. Skip it.

bditty187, Dec 03, 2003
2.68/5  rDev +0.8%

This poured a very clear light golden with a nice light head that lasted longer than I expected and left a nice lace on the side of the glass. Although the BJCP style guidelines says that a green apple smell may be perceived, this beer had more than its share of green apple. In general, I was less than impressed with the aroma. The taste was bitter as well. I did not have to put a lime in mine, not that I would do that anyway. The malt was there but overshadowed by the sour. The mouthfeel was just what you would expect. Light and carbonated with a bite on the tongue. This beer may well be better than Corona. So if you want an okay Mexican style beer you might want to try this. If not skip this beer altogether.

LarryKemp, Aug 08, 2003
2.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a bright pale golden straw color with a foamy white head that quickly settles into a thin and wispy lace. Nose is apparent from the other side of the room with strong notes of sulfur and cooked veggies (I’m sure being in a clear bottle didn’t help this beer any). Very light in body; it’s basically like drinking water. Taste is fortunately much better than the aroma with notes of sweet malts and drying grain husks followed by a very mild hop bitterness. Drinkable on a hot day, but I doubt I’ll be buying more of these.

Morris729, May 03, 2003
3.13/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance: A stunningly beautiful light golden-colored beer with a huge white head that retains very well. The carbonation is moderate with excellent lace.

Aroma: Aroma is sweet and grassy with lots of light malt and hints of corn. Blessedly free of skunk, which was surprising considering the clear glass bottle it is packaged in.

Taste: Begins with lots of soft carbonation, lightly sweet malt flavors as the start, which gradually turn slightly tart at the finish. Finishes slightly dry but without the harsh astringency noted in some other Latin American lagers.

Mouth feel: The mouthfeel is quite smooth and full for the style.

Drinkability/notes: A good choice for a really hot summer day. I suspect it would also appeal to women and Corona-drinking friends - not necessarily a bad thing.

Presentation: Package reviewed was a 12 ounce clear glass longneck with blue, yellow, and white enameling and a pop off crown. The packaging is quite similar to the Corona bottle - although I'm sure this is merely a coincidence. Served in a standard pint tap glass.

Pegasus, Mar 30, 2003