Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.
4.52/5  rDev +73.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

--- Reviewed in context of the style and price point ($3.50 for 6pk) ---

This is a really good alternative to the big macro beers.
I think actually it's one of my favorite adjunct lagers right now.
It beats everything else at this price point.

No off corn smells or flavors.
It almost has the taste of a good Euro pilsner.
Really refreshing.

It's almost like Walgreens went to a craft brewer and asked them to make an adjunct lager -- and they just f**ing nailed it and showed all the big guns how it's done.

2.28/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Extremely clear, and though the head fades rapidly, there is active carbonation that leaves a bit of a lace collar. The tint, however, is quite yellow: apple juice-y. Smell is bland malt, but no skunkiness detected [this changed as the beer warmed anywhere past really cold.] There are actually a lot of hops in the taste for the style. They dominate, to the detriment of anything else you might be able to detect. The carbonation gives a sharp mouthfeel before fading as the beer sits. Not a special beer by any means, but at $3.50 for a sixer, you weren't expecting much, were you?

2.39/5  rDev -8.1%

It's cheap, and that's the best I can say about it. Think poorly made beer and you'll have a pretty good idea what waits for you in the can. Save the 3 bucks for a sixpack and buy a single of a good beer instead.

2.43/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz. can poured into a Libbey pilsner glass. This can says "Brewed by World Brews, Rochester NY".

Look - Straw yellow. Fluffy head that settles into whispy. The lacing lingers on the glass.
Smell - Cooked vegetables and plant matter.
Taste - Again with the cooked vegetables, little bit of rice water. Sadly, not much going on here. Beer needs to be ice cold.
Feel - Watery mouthfeel. Decent carbonation.
Overall - Drinkable, but not something I would go out of my way to get; even at a $2.99 price point. I am going to use the rest as a marinade for chicken, beef and pork. (Sadly, that is what I originally bought it for. I had hoped for a little more.)

2.8/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The can itself doesn't tell much more than that it's a Lager Beer brewed by Hop House Brews (La Crosse, WI or Rochester, NY). A quick internet search told me that it was a 50 cent a can beer from Walgreens. Needless to say, my expectations weren't high. I decided to give it a fair chance nonetheless.

I poured it into a standard pint glass. What I saw was a clear golden colored beer, topped with a white head that dissipated (too) quickly. The amount of bubbles told me that it was decently carbonated.

Sweet malts dominated the smell, at the cost of the hops. It reminded me of wheat beers.

The taste was watery, and followed the beer's scent: sweet malts, and not a lot else. Only a slight amount of bitter hops. It left an aftertaste that was unpleasant and sour.

The feeling was a bit course, but still refreshing, and the beer was decently carbonated.

Overall this is not a beer I would enjoy on a Sunday afternoon. It's too watery and too malty for that. However, it's great for a warm day, with some spicy food, and its low price makes it a great choice for parties as well. Just keep drinking to avoid the unpleasant aftertaste!

2.38/5  rDev -8.5%

I almost pissed my pants reading these reviews. God bless the guys that give it a five. Generally you get what you pay for. So keeping that in mind, this is some cheap ass beer. It costs 2.99 here in Chicago at Walgreens. It is drinkable. When my budget is fatter than I drink better beer. When I gotta scrape some bread together, this is the cheapest option and its better than no beer. Quit yer bitchin'.

2.35/5  rDev -9.6%

For what it is, a cheap AAL, this is as decent a beer as any. $2.99 a six pack...what does one expect? Golf course, beach, yard-work beer. Most of the time I'd prefer a $9.00 six pack of good beer to 3/4 of a case of this stuff, but most of the time isn't all of the time.

1.08/5  rDev -58.5%

PROS: Very cheap beer for the buzz - $2.99 a six-pack at Walgreen's, and the artwork on the can is ok.

CONS: The taste and smell makes me want to puke. Seriously, I have a hard time keeping it down. The only way to drink it is to plug your nose and chug it down as fast as possible.

3.76/5  rDev +44.6%

Not bad all around really.Great beer to take Fishin,Work out in the Yard,Camping,buzz maintanence after all the good stuff is gone and nothing is open like Sunday mornings lol.It's 2.59 a sixer here.Ya just cant beat that price especially on a hot summer day.About the carbonation.I have bought some that was as described very bland on the carbonation almost damn flat but at the same time Like as I write this the Carbonation is very high and even more bite colder (Love that carb bite).It doesnt tend to have that sour aftertaste more of a sweet fruity aftertaste actually.Which can lend tothe "Maintanence factor as anyone knows that sour aftertaste we dont want it when we been drinking all weekend the sweet is much easier to handle.Think about it Wallgreens the Drug store has the PERFECT BUZZ MAINT BEER :)

This Beer also does well served in a ice cold mug yum yum yum

However I think that TRANSPORTATION could be a factor in the quality of the product once it reaches its point of sale.

Am I wrong?

Walgreens should handle with care lol and not transport just with everything else its a sensitive material

They could probably buy a couple of big rigs and send them across america promoting and delivering the Product and triple thier money wallgreens can affod it

*Slides Leonard a cold one since he gave it 5

2.03/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Meh. Watery and bland. Can't really say that it tastes bad since it largely has no taste at all other than a corn adjunct aftertaste. Not highly carbonated, so I imagine this would be a good choice for some frat party's beer bong: cheap, tasteless, and with only average/medium light carbonation.

3.33/5  rDev +28.1%

Wow, lots of beer snob reviews about this beer. First thing I thought when I tried this beer was Yuengling, not too bad of smell and taste. Good for a hot summer day, and not bad for the price, $2.99 a 6 pack at Walgreens.

2.74/5  rDev +5.4%

Can from Walgreens at 3.33 per six pack.
Crystal clear light golden color with a bubbly frothy white head and moderate sticky lace. Grainy cereal aromas with a touch of pomme fruitiness. Crisp grainy maltiness with a touch of green apple and lots of carbonic bite. Medium body with a spirited level of carbonation. Well the price is right, and it doesn't suck. I wouldn't go out of my way to pick this up, but its a decent drinker. I might see if I can shotgun one of the remaining 5 cans.

2.64/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok, Walgreens beer, but I need to be objective. Color and head needs not be discussed. Aroma is malty and smells like any of the cheaper, mass produced low end beers. Taste, well, not as crappy as I thought it would be. Definitely malt forward, but I would put it up there with the bud, bud light and cheaper beers. It is not as bad as people say for what it is. Not much hop flavor here, but a good beer for the yard work days, and make sure you drink it very cold..

1.43/5  rDev -45%

The worst beer I have ever had. Tastes like someone watered-down a PBR and then threw corn meal into it. I was unable to choke down a single can even after a couple different beers and ended up pouring 10 cans out of a 12 pack down the sink.

2.26/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Defiantly not the worst thing I have drank. This might not be something I would sit down to enjoy or serve with any sort of meal. However, I could see this being a perfect cheap beer to bring fishing or camping.

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

There's barely any flavor, but what little there is...well, it's not all bad. If the object of the game is simply getting drunk on the cheap (or buzz-maintenance after drinking much better beers), then here you go.

Quite possibly the perfect beer. I see all you beer snobs out there turning your nose up at it because it's 50 cent beer, but the truth is, it has a great taste, is light and refreshing, and is perfect for those not wanting to spend their whole paycheck on Bud or Coors or Tecate or the more expensive craft beers. This is an every day beer, and although I can afford any beer I want, I choose this one.

This is a good lawn mower beer. It's nice to drink after a hot day. The beer is typical of most American adjunct lagers....golden clear, light head, biscuity scent and flavor. Mouthfeel is generally lighter with good carbonation. Overall it's fine....easy to drink....just don't expect anything amazing?

Disgusting!!! Vile!!! This is without a doubt the WORST beer I have ever tried!!! I tried a few cans, just to be sure and it was HORRIBLE every single time. At one time, I even gagged a little. Avoid unless you want to see how horrible this beer truly is.

2.44/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased from one of the local drug stores.

A: Golden with a slight orange tinge. Moderate head that dissipates quickly. No lacing.

S: A little malt and adjunct grain. Slightly sweet and sour. Not good.

T: Much like the smell, but not quite as offensive. No real hops to speak of.

M: Watery, but not excessively so. Not a ton of carbonation.

O: For 3.19 a sixer you don't expect much. You also don't get much. I have had worse.

2.94/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer is $2.99 a six pack but to me tastes much better than Bud, Coors, or Miller...not skunky and I can taste a slight hint of malt. Does not have the bitterness of cheap brews like malt liquor. Overall I would compare it with a Pabst Blue Ribbon in quality and price....did not expect it to taste like a Samuel Adams for the price but it was not disappointing.

2.51/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

had this one on halloween last year got a 6pack at walgreens for a few bucks drank the whole 6 pack to myself not a drop for anybody else it was tolerable i remember it being especially bland tasting like a cross between a bud light and a budwieser with the bud light being most of the taste with under 5% alc you will need 3 or 4 to get that feeling but if you like previously said need a cheap can to sip on while doing some hard work outside this is one to try

2.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Don't go to Walgreens much. Saw this beer at $2.99 a six pack, knew I had never had it and basically said, "what the heck."
Based on the price tag, I will give a little rope. I can be harsh when I rate the expensive beers that I think are a poor value, and give a little slack for the cheap stuff.
Pours a pale hay straw yellow with a skimpy head that is gone in the blink of the eye.
Aroma is grassy with some earthy tones.
Taste is corn husk.
It is a little fizzy. This is beer that is best kept for a hot summer day after doing yard work and you just want a beer to chug down and quench a thirst.

Appearance: Light yellow, medium white head.
Aroma: Not much aroma.
Flavor: Not much flavor, thin highly carbonated. Light bodied, non-hoppy.
Overall: Very light, very plain domestic beer taste. This beer is exclusive to Walgreen's. I bought the 6 pack for $1.99. Not a terrible taste, but it left a slight chemical-like head ache.

2.57/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours light straw yellow - clear - with a creamy white head that leaves some trailing lace.

The smell is not much - clean - maybe a hint of grain - inoffensive. Clean.

The taste is of some sweet grain, a hint of soap and a light touch of corn husk.

It is crisp and light.

Overall, It's not a "terrible" cheap beer. And, it is cheap. Didn't care much for the mild hint of soap. But, if you drink it very cold and fast, you might not catch that.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews