Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

to view more.
Ratings: 279 | Reviews: 140
Reviews by HalfFull:
2.4/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 oz. can stolen from a friend's fridge. Think he said he got it at Walgreen's but then I didn't think any Walgreen's in San Diego sold beer. Perhaps the times they are a changin'. Poured into a piint glass alongside a partially finished reference PBR glass. Big Flats pours a bit deeper, say a deep straw in color. A thin cap flitters away rather swiftly.

Aroma is full and a bit sweet with nondescript grainy sweet notes and lacking much of a yeast or hop profile. Offers a touch of citrus on the flavor which is otherwise a bit rough around the edges like the aroma. Tough of spice/citrus again though the utter lack of carbonation is not helping here.

Body leaves a bit to be desired as well, again largely due to the lack of carbonation. Interestingly this beer does in a way resemble Simpler Times from Trader Joe's and both find thier source in LaCrosse, WI. The Simpler Times(Lager) has a bit more finesse and carbonation however. In the end a bit rough.

3.31/5  rDev +30.3%

Like many others, I picked this up at Walgreens at $3.49 for a six-pack. I was going to pick up a few beers and didn't really feel like going anywhere else, so why not, I thought to myself. I wasn't expecting much at all, and since my normal beer drinking is done toward the low end (think Pabst, Schlitz, Schaefer, etc.), I couldn't see myself being too disappointed. I wasn't.

Big Flats 1901 is what I would call a very drinkable beer, a good yard work beer that works equally well washing down spicy Indian food or a greasy pizza (two pairings I've sampled at this point). Despite what some here have to say about it (beer snobs unite at this point, it's ok, I've been referred to as such due to my disdain for Bud Select), it really isn't bad.

Color is the usual macro very light straw yellow. There isn't much aroma other than from corn and the can. It pours a decent two-finger head and leaves a nice lacing as you drink it down (for my samplings I used a New Belgium globe glass). As for taste, I'm just going to say that it tastes good (grainy malt, slightly sweet with just enough hops to notice) and that it goes down smooth with little to no aftertaste. It's watery, but that's not a bad thing in this case (not every beer needs to be an oatmeal stout).

Really, for the price, it's not bad. I'd rather drink this at $3.50 for a six pack than any of the big macro-brewery's mainstream options at a couple of dollars more. It's exceptionally drinkable, and good enough that I've bought four more six packs since my initial purchase. It does the job, and frankly, I do prefer it to Pabst.

2.03/5  rDev -20.1%

This is the new Walgreen's beer that sells for $3.72 for a sixer of cans. This one pours a pale yellow fizzy golden hue with a bright white head leaving a sporadic chunky sight of lace. Aroma has big cereal notes with slightly harsh tones of cereal grain offness, a bit of metallic edge. Some cooked veggies slightly cereal sweetness. Flavor wise more unwelcoming harshness, I just don't understand why Walgreen's wants to offer this caliber of shit beer along with your prescriptions. Cheap yes, good no. Will it satisfy your shitty beer cravings, wait hold on you really crave shitty beer. Maybe this site isn't for you. I really haven't liked anything from this beer marketing company out of Novato, CA. Especially Moe's Taproom No. 21, Cegauama, and Hollande 1500 and something. This carbonation and mouthfeel doesn't reinforce any reason why you should be drinking this can, overall shitty beer contract brewed by the good folks at Genesee sorry if I want cheap beer I will grab a six of Genny pounders.

2.26/5  rDev -11%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Defiantly not the worst thing I have drank. This might not be something I would sit down to enjoy or serve with any sort of meal. However, I could see this being a perfect cheap beer to bring fishing or camping.

2.64/5  rDev +3.9%

I was curious since the price of the 6-pack was $2.99!! i had to try it.

A pale white-gold color with a standard but decent high white head that actually had slow dissipation leaving a decent amount of stuff around.

A basic adjunct lager aroma with dry corn, wheat, light and sweet-bready malt but with an unpleasent perm-treatment chemmy smell.

The flavor is pretty clean as it states on the can: "It's the water that makes it"...and it's plenty watery feel and flavor but with all of the right aspects like crispy malt and musty yeastie backdrop. there is nothing "off' in the flavor so it's really not a bad taste for the price.

don't be affraid to drink this one straight from the can!

3.18/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wife found this while out shopping for the 4th. I think she said $3.49 for the sixer!

Pours a clear gold with a nice 2 finger head that dropped in time. the remaining ring left a receding bit of lace.

Mild grainy lager smell is what I got here

Taste is clean, mildly sweet with a bit of a bite on the finish. Thin mouthfeel with pretty strong carbonation.

Nothing complex, just a basic, easy drinking session beer. I also call beers like this "Lawnmower beers"

If it stays local, I'd gladly drink this on these hot summer days. Not bad.

1.15/5  rDev -54.7%

A- Golden
S- I smelled almost nothing, very faint hops
T- Like Keystone Light, In one word Cheap
M- Watery
D- Use for beer pong or a beer bong

While I'm not a fan of this beer if your having a beer pong party this would be the beer to use.It's cheap effective for that purpose.

2.64/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Clear vivid yellow with a decent little head (for the style at least). Darker yellow than most adjunct lagers.

S - Fruity esters and musty grain husk. Smells cheap.

T - Overripe fruit, and not in a good way. Tastes like rotten apples and bananas that have been left to ferment. Actually not too bad.... it's growing on me.

M - LIght and crisp. Thirst quenching.

Honestly, the rotten fruit aspect isn't really good, but at least it is pretty flavorful compared to some macros that taste like carbonated water. Not bad for the bottom of the barrel price.

3.19/5  rDev +25.6%

Pale, clear, piss-yellow with a big head, this dirt-cheap canned lager is malty and sweet upon initial tasting.

Sweet corn flavor, with a hint of hops at the finish. Nothing remarkable or unique here, but for the price ($2.99 a 6-pack at Walgreen's), this one's a decent bargain for a party or to share with friends.

Incidentally, all of my less-than-picky non-craft drinking friends enjoyed this!

2.82/5  rDev +11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pretty average in color. Straw yellow. Gives a nice pour overall. Not much lacing, but some foam is nice. Carbonation is fairly heavy and definitely rustic.

Smell: Pretty clean overall. Mostly boiled or lightly baked grain. Pretty fresh overall.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I've tried this out of the can and poured into a glass and I definitely notice a difference. It comes across cleaner at the beginning but with a thicker, sour mouthfeel. In contrast, out of the can it tastes more metallic at the beginning and tastes and feels cleaner in the finish. Definitely carbonated all around though yet a bit flat in the finish.

Drinkability: I'm gonna give this some credit. Nothing terrible about it makes it untolerable.

Overall: Not quite as good as macro lagers, but better than the cheap versions.

2.18/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours about as close to clear as beer gets, just a faint straw color with fizzy white head and some lively, fizzy carbonation. Aroma of adjunct malt, with some oddly fruity sweet notes. Palate is light, which is merciful, since the main flavors are off adjunct malt and puzzling fruity notes. Body is light and fizzy, which is at least refreshing. Pretty terrible, but it goes down fairly easy, if that's what you're looking for.

2.33/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can into pint pint glass

A: Lots of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass and good levels of carbonation. Body has a very clear yellow character. White head sinks very quickly.

S: The aroma has a very high level of rice and other adjuncts. No real hop or malty tone. Light aroma for style.

T/M: The first sip shows a grassy, corn element. The low level of hop character is not balanced with the other low level of other tastes. Mouthfeel is standard and crisp for the style.

O: This a bit of a lack luster brew, to the style it does not set a very good example.

This is a good lawn mower beer. It's nice to drink after a hot day. The beer is typical of most American adjunct lagers....golden clear, light head, biscuity scent and flavor. Mouthfeel is generally lighter with good carbonation. Overall it's fine....easy to drink....just don't expect anything amazing?

3.12/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Take the glass you had your MGD in and fill it up with water. The only beer factor that this even had was the nice white head on it. A lot of bubbles.

Smells like straw and malt...or maybe straw WAS the malt. Not very much of anything else going on here...really.

The can says it's made with the choicest hops... Those hops must be so rare and choicest that they couldn't find any to put in the beer. Taste was almost tinny, like it pulled something from the aluminum can. In all fairness, it wasn't awful...just not good.

The carbonation is pretty big in this one. Almost cola like.

Drinkability? Yeah, you can down as much of this as you can hold water. Thing is, you more than likely picked up this beer on the fact that Walgreens now has a beer and as a BA you just had to try it for the sake of shit's and giggles. It almost looks like a gag gift. It's pretty damn close to Hamm's, although I think Hamm's is better. One of the best parts for me is, it says Premium Brew... Seems like it should be in a simple white can that says BEER in black letters.

2.37/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Clear gold pours a thick white head and has a bit of linger.

S: Musky maltiness dominates any other notes

T: Old malt with a muskiness that finishes slightly bitter.

M: Light body with a surprisingly good amount of carbonation.

This beer is a shot in the dark. I can't say that I enjoy this beer, but I do like the concept. No advertising, $2.99 for a 6 pack of cans. It doesn't make it taste any better, but it does offer something that tastes exactly the same as bud heavy for 1/2 the price. It'll be nice on a hot summer day here in Houston.

2.64/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok, Walgreens beer, but I need to be objective. Color and head needs not be discussed. Aroma is malty and smells like any of the cheaper, mass produced low end beers. Taste, well, not as crappy as I thought it would be. Definitely malt forward, but I would put it up there with the bud, bud light and cheaper beers. It is not as bad as people say for what it is. Not much hop flavor here, but a good beer for the yard work days, and make sure you drink it very cold..

2.38/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought a six-pack of these at Walgreens so I could send a CAN to WoodyChandler for his CANquest. I CAN dig it! Saw the other 5 CANs lying around my parent’s house and promptly through one in the freezer so I could tear into it as soon as possible. The CAN tells me, “It’s the water that makes it.” We shall see about that… Served from CAN into a RJ Rockers shaker. Poured pale straw yellow with a half finger pure white fizzy sounding head that subsided to nothing fairly quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, grain, corn, wheat, and broken dreams. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, corn, wheat, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was not a very good brew. The aroma on this one was pretty sharp, but not in a good way. I smelled it upon cracking open the CAN and knew what I was getting myself into, but continued anyways. I should have listened to my nose. Imagine if you were to drink a Bud/Miller Lite (yeah, they don’t know how to brew good beer nor spell correctly) only it has more of a corn presence than the others. The flavor is a little bit better than the aroma, but I wouldn’t make this a go-to in a pinch brew. While this was retardedly cheap, I would rather get a job so I can at least afford some malt liquor if I were to get this desperate for a drink. Save your money on this one, all $3 of it for the 6-pack. Your palate will thank me…

2.17/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from 12 oz. can into pint glass.

A: Pale golden in color. Strong pour creates thick head that is gone in a moment to barely a trace of head.

S: Adjunct smell. Corn, grains, light malt.

T: I don't know, kinda what you'd expect, tastes like beer that I sipped from my dad when I was young. The one noticable bad taste was metallic, tasted like blood.

M: Light, water-like.

O: I had the same reaction as others when I saw it. "Walgreens generic brand beer? For $2.99? I gotta try it." It's just that, a novelty.

Took this on recent camping weekend where selection was PBR, High Life and Schlitz. All were superior to this, and seriously they are all only pennies more in price. Not worth it.

2.88/5  rDev +13.4%

A- straw yellow body with a white head

S- choisest hops... grainy sweetness mostly

M- medium body with a higher end of carbonation, crisp

T- grains, some butter, sweet

O- decent american adjunct, nothing outstanding and the best part is the crispness of the mouthfeel

3.09/5  rDev +21.7%

Thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains and corn. Taste is crisp, mild, corn and grains, not a lot going on. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall just another mediocre adjunct lager.

2.48/5  rDev -2.4%

From the 355 ml. can no. 3140-10:48. Sampled on January 1, 2011. The pour is pale yellow with a ton of fizzy white head that eventually settles in. Aromas of grain and adjuncts. Thin body. The taste is also on the grainy side. As drinkable as any cheap macro. This is brewed under contract for Walgreens stores and these cans are all over the place for $2.99/six wherever a Walgreens can be found.

2.76/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Light yellow but somehow a decent hue. Small white head settles down quickly to a steady skim. Lots of bubbles rising relaxedly from all over. Very crystal clear. Usual macro lager look with above average lacing.

S: Cereal grain, soft malty sweetness. No real hops noticed. Reasonably okay, but way too faint.

T: Mix of grainy base & a light bit of malt sweetness. Decently balancing hop bitterness. Just a hint of medicinal character. Adjunctness kept to a minimum. Quite simple in that there are just a few main notes and no nuance or accent notes. Quite fair for depth though. Stays decent as it warms.

M: Medium-light body, plentiful but soft, cushiony, & mouthfilling carbonation. Very neutral & wet finish.

D: Basic beer. Not great. Not bad. Crazy low price point. Compares very well to big name swill. Skip the stoopid ads and just make beer.

2.91/5  rDev +14.6%

Less than 4 bucks for a sixer?!?!? How can I go wrong?

A: Crystal Clear, and light yellow. A soft white head, that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Slightly sweet, perhaps a touch of skunk and metal, or maybe just a hint of vegetable.

T: Taste follows smell, simple, slightly sweet, partly malty. perhaps a touch of metal in the finish. But for less than a buck a beer, it really isn't as bad as a lot of other AAL's I have had.

M: Light in body, fairly high in carbonation, and clean finish.

D: For the price, it isn't too bad, but it is certainly not anything I am going to stock regularly. Average at best.

3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

12 oz can poured into a pilsner glass. 3270 (Nov. 22, 2010 - if a Julian date) on the bottom, no info.

A - One of the better looking American Adjunct Lagers out there, in fact one of the better looking brews period. Sure it's crystal clear and pale straw yellow but the dense two-finger white head cakes the glass in beautiful, thick lace.

S - Grainy straw and a boat-load of sweet corn in the nose. While this isn't really offensive in the least, Big Flats doesn't offer much in the way of aroma...

T - Heavily grainy pale malt seems über cheap as does the corn adjunct flavor and husky straw finish but really, this might be one of the better tasting beers of it's style, which is how I'm judging it.

M - The lingering sweetness distracts a bit but this lager is smooth and soft with a heavily carbonated but not intrusive crisp, light finish.

D - I won't lie, I'm going to dump this beer. I have no interest in consuming it, but in reality, not only is it NOT offensive, it's also highly drinkable. It's a shade better than the BMCs out there and DEFINITELY good for the price. $3 for 6 cans? Sure, in a pinch this will work.

2.66/5  rDev +4.7%

For $3 at Walgreens, I thought, why the f*ck not.

Standard macro look. Pale yellow, completely transparent. Bubbles, Bubbles everywhere! Finger of white head.

Smell is nothing much...sprinkling of veggie-esque corn and corny sweetness.

Wow. They claim choice hops, and I'm impressed that I can actually taste a hop or two!

Watery, slightly crisp. That's about it.

Easy to drink and it's cheap. That doesn't scream desirability though.

to view more.