Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

pDev: 41%
World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.
Reviews by RoamingGnome:
2.38/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Never heard of this brew. My old man had an Oktoberfest tasting with his siblings and a six pack of this appeared. There was duct tape on each can, and it was clearly labeled Oktoberfest. I thought that was pretty funny. Anyways....

Poured out of a 12 oz can into mug.

A) Yellow and bubbly. A good inch and a half of foamy white head. The head was gone quickly. There was no lacing.

S) Grain, pretty corny, kind of artificial and slightly metallic.

T) I guess it's not terrible. It reminds me of the many times I unleashed the beast in college.

M) Thin and highly carbonated.

O) I have come to learn this beer is exclusive to Walgreens. I guess it comes in handy for those looking for something to chase down their Vicodin. Seriously though, this is pretty bad.

3.8/5  rDev +45.6%

Cheap American Adjunct Beer at its best!

A: It's yellow and has little bubbles, like beer.

S: Nothing bad. Smells like Cheap American Adjunct Beer.

T: Nice clean adjunct beer taste with no bad aftertaste.

M: Medium to high carbonation.

D: I'd buy it again for $2.99.

If you're in Walgreens, you're probably there to get a prescription filled, toothpaste or shampoo for the wife. Bland, boring shopping at its worst. As you're walking toward the register, you spot a display of Cheap American Adjunct Beer for only $2.99 a six-pack, which is about all you've got left after paying for the exciting tube of wart removal cream. Thank you Walgreens. Marketing genius and Cheap American Adjunct Beer at its best.

2.43/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz. can poured into a Libbey pilsner glass. This can says "Brewed by World Brews, Rochester NY".

Look - Straw yellow. Fluffy head that settles into whispy. The lacing lingers on the glass.
Smell - Cooked vegetables and plant matter.
Taste - Again with the cooked vegetables, little bit of rice water. Sadly, not much going on here. Beer needs to be ice cold.
Feel - Watery mouthfeel. Decent carbonation.
Overall - Drinkable, but not something I would go out of my way to get; even at a $2.99 price point. I am going to use the rest as a marinade for chicken, beef and pork. (Sadly, that is what I originally bought it for. I had hoped for a little more.)

Disgusting!!! Vile!!! This is without a doubt the WORST beer I have ever tried!!! I tried a few cans, just to be sure and it was HORRIBLE every single time. At one time, I even gagged a little. Avoid unless you want to see how horrible this beer truly is.

3.05/5  rDev +16.9%

12oz can served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear bright yellow with a decent sized white head that thinned leaving a few spots of lacing.

S - grainy aroma, smells pretty typical for the style.

T - once again it's typical for the style, grainy and somewhat sweet with no real bitterness to it.

F - light to medium bodied with a crisp feel.

O - very much typical for the style at a lower price than BMC, PBR, Shlitz or Schaefer

2.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Can courtesy of optimator13 for this gag extra. Served in a pilsener glass.

A - Two fingers of eggshell foam quickly sizzle to a partial ring and cluster of wispy bubbles. Transparent urine-colored body with lots of visible bubble streams racing upward. Looks like pretty much every other macro lager.

S - Mostly grain, some faint creamed corn, and a hint of grass. Pretty boring and inoffensive.

T - Taste is largely cereal grains, with a hint of buttery pils malt, nebulous fruity notes, and a fairly clean finish. A bit too sweet for my preference, but not awful.

M - Grainy, medium-light body. Higher carbonation, and a surprisingly pleasant dry, crisp finish. It's a bit watery, but it's actually kind of refreshing.

D - Pretty inoffensive adjunct lager, and for the price it's much preferable to many BMC offerings I have tried. I can't imagine myself ever purchasing this, but if it was between this and Bud Light at a friend's house I'd pick this one.

1.5/5  rDev -42.5%

Just flat out terrible, this may be the worst beer I have ever tasted.

2.4/5  rDev -8%

3.31/5  rDev +26.8%

Like many others, I picked this up at Walgreens at $3.49 for a six-pack. I was going to pick up a few beers and didn't really feel like going anywhere else, so why not, I thought to myself. I wasn't expecting much at all, and since my normal beer drinking is done toward the low end (think Pabst, Schlitz, Schaefer, etc.), I couldn't see myself being too disappointed. I wasn't.

Big Flats 1901 is what I would call a very drinkable beer, a good yard work beer that works equally well washing down spicy Indian food or a greasy pizza (two pairings I've sampled at this point). Despite what some here have to say about it (beer snobs unite at this point, it's ok, I've been referred to as such due to my disdain for Bud Select), it really isn't bad.

Color is the usual macro very light straw yellow. There isn't much aroma other than from corn and the can. It pours a decent two-finger head and leaves a nice lacing as you drink it down (for my samplings I used a New Belgium globe glass). As for taste, I'm just going to say that it tastes good (grainy malt, slightly sweet with just enough hops to notice) and that it goes down smooth with little to no aftertaste. It's watery, but that's not a bad thing in this case (not every beer needs to be an oatmeal stout).

Really, for the price, it's not bad. I'd rather drink this at $3.50 for a six pack than any of the big macro-brewery's mainstream options at a couple of dollars more. It's exceptionally drinkable, and good enough that I've bought four more six packs since my initial purchase. It does the job, and frankly, I do prefer it to Pabst.

2.54/5  rDev -2.7%

2.25/5  rDev -13.8%

2.03/5  rDev -22.2%

This is the new Walgreen's beer that sells for $3.72 for a sixer of cans. This one pours a pale yellow fizzy golden hue with a bright white head leaving a sporadic chunky sight of lace. Aroma has big cereal notes with slightly harsh tones of cereal grain offness, a bit of metallic edge. Some cooked veggies slightly cereal sweetness. Flavor wise more unwelcoming harshness, I just don't understand why Walgreen's wants to offer this caliber of shit beer along with your prescriptions. Cheap yes, good no. Will it satisfy your shitty beer cravings, wait hold on you really crave shitty beer. Maybe this site isn't for you. I really haven't liked anything from this beer marketing company out of Novato, CA. Especially Moe's Taproom No. 21, Cegauama, and Hollande 1500 and something. This carbonation and mouthfeel doesn't reinforce any reason why you should be drinking this can, overall shitty beer contract brewed by the good folks at Genesee sorry if I want cheap beer I will grab a six of Genny pounders.

2.26/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Defiantly not the worst thing I have drank. This might not be something I would sit down to enjoy or serve with any sort of meal. However, I could see this being a perfect cheap beer to bring fishing or camping.

2.5/5  rDev -4.2%

2.03/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Meh. Watery and bland. Can't really say that it tastes bad since it largely has no taste at all other than a corn adjunct aftertaste. Not highly carbonated, so I imagine this would be a good choice for some frat party's beer bong: cheap, tasteless, and with only average/medium light carbonation.

2.64/5  rDev +1.1%

I was curious since the price of the 6-pack was $2.99!! i had to try it.

A pale white-gold color with a standard but decent high white head that actually had slow dissipation leaving a decent amount of stuff around.

A basic adjunct lager aroma with dry corn, wheat, light and sweet-bready malt but with an unpleasent perm-treatment chemmy smell.

The flavor is pretty clean as it states on the can: "It's the water that makes it"...and it's plenty watery feel and flavor but with all of the right aspects like crispy malt and musty yeastie backdrop. there is nothing "off' in the flavor so it's really not a bad taste for the price.

don't be affraid to drink this one straight from the can!

3.18/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wife found this while out shopping for the 4th. I think she said $3.49 for the sixer!

Pours a clear gold with a nice 2 finger head that dropped in time. the remaining ring left a receding bit of lace.

Mild grainy lager smell is what I got here

Taste is clean, mildly sweet with a bit of a bite on the finish. Thin mouthfeel with pretty strong carbonation.

Nothing complex, just a basic, easy drinking session beer. I also call beers like this "Lawnmower beers"

If it stays local, I'd gladly drink this on these hot summer days. Not bad.

1.15/5  rDev -55.9%

A- Golden
S- I smelled almost nothing, very faint hops
T- Like Keystone Light, In one word Cheap
M- Watery
D- Use for beer pong or a beer bong

While I'm not a fan of this beer if your having a beer pong party this would be the beer to use.It's cheap effective for that purpose.

2.5/5  rDev -4.2%

2.64/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Clear vivid yellow with a decent little head (for the style at least). Darker yellow than most adjunct lagers.

S - Fruity esters and musty grain husk. Smells cheap.

T - Overripe fruit, and not in a good way. Tastes like rotten apples and bananas that have been left to ferment. Actually not too bad.... it's growing on me.

M - LIght and crisp. Thirst quenching.

Honestly, the rotten fruit aspect isn't really good, but at least it is pretty flavorful compared to some macros that taste like carbonated water. Not bad for the bottom of the barrel price.

2.75/5  rDev +5.4%

2.24/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pale, clear, piss-yellow with a big head, this dirt-cheap canned lager is malty and sweet upon initial tasting.

Sweet corn flavor, with a hint of hops at the finish. Nothing remarkable or unique here, but for the price ($2.99 a 6-pack at Walgreen's), this one's a decent bargain for a party or to share with friends.

Incidentally, all of my less-than-picky non-craft drinking friends enjoyed this!

2.82/5  rDev +8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pretty average in color. Straw yellow. Gives a nice pour overall. Not much lacing, but some foam is nice. Carbonation is fairly heavy and definitely rustic.

Smell: Pretty clean overall. Mostly boiled or lightly baked grain. Pretty fresh overall.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I've tried this out of the can and poured into a glass and I definitely notice a difference. It comes across cleaner at the beginning but with a thicker, sour mouthfeel. In contrast, out of the can it tastes more metallic at the beginning and tastes and feels cleaner in the finish. Definitely carbonated all around though yet a bit flat in the finish.

Drinkability: I'm gonna give this some credit. Nothing terrible about it makes it untolerable.

Overall: Not quite as good as macro lagers, but better than the cheap versions.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews