1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Brewed for Walgreens Drug Stores

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010)

Quite possibly the perfect beer. I see all you beer snobs out there turning your nose up at it because it's 50 cent beer, but the truth is, it has a great taste, is light and refreshing, and is perfect for those not wanting to spend their whole paycheck on Bud or Coors or Tecate or the more expensive craft beers. This is an every day beer, and although I can afford any beer I want, I choose this one.

I went to wal-greens the other day to buy some cold medicine and saw some great looking beer in a special looking can, with a very nice price. I never buy cheap beer; it’s like going to McDonald’s and expecting hot food, wishful thinking. Well I walked into the house with this untested brew. My wife said why did you buy that beer it’s cheap and you know you’re not going to drink that, I poured me a tall glass full of the Premium Beer BIG FLATS 1901. It was very tasty, a beer fit for a king. I suddenly found my maker it was BIG FLATS the Beer fit for me, man it was good.

4.8/5  rDev +88.2%

4.75/5  rDev +86.3%

4.08/5  rDev +60%

This super drinkable beer was 3.00 a six pack. More than worth it. I would I've payed 5 or 6 for this 4.5 percent six pack. My dad recommended it to me and he's 1 for 1 on beer recommendations. I want to try it on tap. It's a great beer to play beer pong with and to drink at the movies.

3.9/5  rDev +52.9%

A- Pours a very clear, light straw color with two fingers of white head.

S-Smells of grain and a little corn with some earthy hop notes.

T-Light, sweet grain with a little corn and nice crisp bitterness at the close.

M-Creamy and light bodied with a low to medium carbonation for the style.

D-Very easy drinking and more flavorful than it's more common style counterparts.

3.85/5  rDev +51%

Cheap American Adjunct Beer at its best!

A: It's yellow and has little bubbles, like beer.

S: Nothing bad. Smells like Cheap American Adjunct Beer.

T: Nice clean adjunct beer taste with no bad aftertaste.

M: Medium to high carbonation.

D: I'd buy it again for $2.99.

If you're in Walgreens, you're probably there to get a prescription filled, toothpaste or shampoo for the wife. Bland, boring shopping at its worst. As you're walking toward the register, you spot a display of Cheap American Adjunct Beer for only $2.99 a six-pack, which is about all you've got left after paying for the exciting tube of wart removal cream. Thank you Walgreens. Marketing genius and Cheap American Adjunct Beer at its best.

3.83/5  rDev +50.2%

Doesn't smell like a lot really...perhaps a bit of corn and faint hops. Nothing offensive nor spectacular there.

Taste is, for the style, actually rather good and clean. Body of the beer has a bit of corn going on, but it's paired with a bit of cereal grain and works pretty well for an adjunct lager. Small hop bitterness is at the back...corn and grain finish it out and it finishes very cleanly. Refreshing, actually.

If we're rating for style here, and we're supposed to, this is going to be pretty well rated because it's definitely superior to the big boys. I'm happy with it for the price. I can imagine it'd be really good on the lake or golfing.

3.76/5  rDev +47.5%

3.7/5  rDev +45.1%

After years in my youth drinking mostly lousy German beers (in Germany), I came to the conclusion that American Adjunct lager beers were more to my liking. And Big Flats 1901 hits a home run with me! $2.99/6-pack, Available at your corner Walgreens - how much better can it get?

Poured cold into my 11 oz. iced mug, I got 3" of foamy head, which settled down after a couple of minutes and left a satisfying lace. Smelled a bit of aluminum can, otherwise smelled like BEER.

Looked and tasted like a slightly above average American "light" lager beer: a bit sweet, with light grain, malt and alcohol flavors, a light hop bite at the back of the mouth and throat when swallowing. Quite refreshing while watching my favorite NFL team advance in the playoffs.

No aftertaste, enough alcohol to induce a "pleasant experience with happy ending" after 3 or 4 cans (I'm a big guy). I'd pound more but if consumed in quantity beer clashes with one of my medications.

Summary: If you enjoy American Adjunct Lager beers, this is a bargain for a pleasant brew.

3.68/5  rDev +44.3%

Works for me, easy on the system

3.64/5  rDev +42.7%

3.58/5  rDev +40.4%

This is above average for the generic styles of beer we know as American adjuncts and I graded as such. It is sold by Walgreens only and since my wife is a pharmacist there I figured I'd try it. It's good to buy from who helps puts the food on your table. It is better than bud light on 8/10 days for me. These folks bashing it are not taking it for what it really represent-a $3 6 pack. It is the best $3 6 pack I know. Great cheap mowing beer. Is it better than PBR-not quite to me but it is different .

3.55/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Best beer for price Ever

3.53/5  rDev +38.4%

Big Flats 1901 has a very thick, white head, and a clear, pale straw appearance, with lots of bubbles streaming up. Some lacing is left behind. The aroma is mild and stereotypical American-style lager. Taste is also mild, balanced, and good. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Big Flats 1901 finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a pretty good beer. Try one. You'll especially enjoy the price!

RJT

3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

This can of Big Flats Premium Brew came from a $3.00 six-pack at the corner Walgreens. It is brewed by Genesee Brewing exclusively for the chain. The following is just a sampling of the wonder-inducing claims printed on the can: "Genuine Beer", "Brewed from only the choicest hops" and "It's the water that makes it." This smattering of such non-descript statements lets me know that I'm in for one of the beers of all time.

Poured to a pint glass, three fingers of white head surface for a cameo before settling down. Retention is actually pretty good and the lacing is nice. The beer is a pale bronze tint that looks soft but implies that it is watered down. Carbonation is very active. It is suspiciously reminiscent of Genesee Cream Ale.

The aroma gives off a little hop presence. It's barely noticeable, but I was surprised to recognize it at all given the low price this carries. The rest of the scent is prototypical corn-adjunct lager. It smells a bit more watery than average but still quite sweet.

The taste is a pleasant surprise; not in the sense that it's a revelation for the style, but in the sense that a $.50 can of beer shouldn't be this good. It's treading in the "lite" end of the American lager pool, but with a slight edge in the depth of flavor. The malt bill tastes sweet and grainy. Corn is used in a way that compliments the brew. Aftertaste is non-existent. It's a bit watery, which is why it feels more like light beer; but it is backed by enough taste to get a thumbs up.

In the mouth Big Flats barely registers above water. This can be a positive thing as I can come up with several uses for this beer. It's the classic yard-chore refreshment, a barbeque beer, what beer drinkers drink when they're not drinking beer, etc. All joking aside though, Big Flats is totally inoffensive and super-drinkable. The supposed 4.5% alcohol goes unnoticed; the brew goes down like water; it's cheap; and best of all, it tastes good for the style.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
Sure, I give a Schlitz about Big Flats, but definitely not two! Big Flats is cheap and readily available and I'd sincerely recommend it over any of the big three's standard offerings.

3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

3.38/5  rDev +32.5%

Overall, Big Flats is a solid mainstream American style lager. It's hard to imagine that something sold exclusively at Walgreens, at a budget price point could be decent, but this is. From a 12oz can, this pours a very light golden color, plenty of active carbonation, and a quickly dissipating head. A typical beer aroma is detected, cereal grains, and a very slight hop presence. This actually has more of a European lager type taste than most other similar style macro lagers.

This beer is nothing revolutionary in terms of style or brewing technique, but it is good for what it is. For the price, it is a great value.

3.38/5  rDev +32.5%

From a can poured into a glass mug.

A- Golden-orange color. A lot darker than I was expecting. Big head that fizzles away to a little ring. No lacing.

S- Mostly malts, sweet, grainy. No hop scent.

T- Tastes mostly of malts and some very overcooked veggies. Faint alcohol taste. Zero hops. Aftertaste is pure malts.

M- It was flat yet mysteriously carbonated on the tongue at the same time. Heavy, cloying.

O- Overall, this beer was OK, better than most. Very malt heavy. If it had some hops to balance it out, it would be a great beer.

3.35/5  rDev +31.4%

Like many others, I picked this up at Walgreens at $3.49 for a six-pack. I was going to pick up a few beers and didn't really feel like going anywhere else, so why not, I thought to myself. I wasn't expecting much at all, and since my normal beer drinking is done toward the low end (think Pabst, Schlitz, Schaefer, etc.), I couldn't see myself being too disappointed. I wasn't.

Big Flats 1901 is what I would call a very drinkable beer, a good yard work beer that works equally well washing down spicy Indian food or a greasy pizza (two pairings I've sampled at this point). Despite what some here have to say about it (beer snobs unite at this point, it's ok, I've been referred to as such due to my disdain for Bud Select), it really isn't bad.

Color is the usual macro very light straw yellow. There isn't much aroma other than from corn and the can. It pours a decent two-finger head and leaves a nice lacing as you drink it down (for my samplings I used a New Belgium globe glass). As for taste, I'm just going to say that it tastes good (grainy malt, slightly sweet with just enough hops to notice) and that it goes down smooth with little to no aftertaste. It's watery, but that's not a bad thing in this case (not every beer needs to be an oatmeal stout).

Really, for the price, it's not bad. I'd rather drink this at $3.50 for a six pack than any of the big macro-brewery's mainstream options at a couple of dollars more. It's exceptionally drinkable, and good enough that I've bought four more six packs since my initial purchase. It does the job, and frankly, I do prefer it to Pabst.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews