Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Brewed for Walgreens Drug Stores

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010)
BeerIsGood88

04-04-2012 03:25:19 | More by BeerIsGood88
2befree

I went to wal-greens the other day to buy some cold medicine and saw some great looking beer in a special looking can, with a very nice price. I never buy cheap beer; it’s like going to McDonald’s and expecting hot food, wishful thinking. Well I walked into the house with this untested brew. My wife said why did you buy that beer it’s cheap and you know you’re not going to drink that, I poured me a tall glass full of the Premium Beer BIG FLATS 1901. It was very tasty, a beer fit for a king. I suddenly found my maker it was BIG FLATS the Beer fit for me, man it was good.

04-07-2013 06:05:13 | More by 2befree
CoreyDingess

4.75/5  rDev +88.5%

06-23-2014 21:52:07 | More by CoreyDingess
pjszabo

4.08/5  rDev +61.9%

This super drinkable beer was 3.00 a six pack. More than worth it. I would I've payed 5 or 6 for this 4.5 percent six pack. My dad recommended it to me and he's 1 for 1 on beer recommendations. I want to try it on tap. It's a great beer to play beer pong with and to drink at the movies.

03-16-2011 05:57:05 | More by pjszabo
samie85

3.9/5  rDev +54.8%

A- Pours a very clear, light straw color with two fingers of white head.

S-Smells of grain and a little corn with some earthy hop notes.

T-Light, sweet grain with a little corn and nice crisp bitterness at the close.

M-Creamy and light bodied with a low to medium carbonation for the style.

D-Very easy drinking and more flavorful than it's more common style counterparts.

01-16-2011 00:57:16 | More by samie85
Terrapin777

3.85/5  rDev +52.8%

Cheap American Adjunct Beer at its best!

A: It's yellow and has little bubbles, like beer.

S: Nothing bad. Smells like Cheap American Adjunct Beer.

T: Nice clean adjunct beer taste with no bad aftertaste.

M: Medium to high carbonation.

D: I'd buy it again for $2.99.

If you're in Walgreens, you're probably there to get a prescription filled, toothpaste or shampoo for the wife. Bland, boring shopping at its worst. As you're walking toward the register, you spot a display of Cheap American Adjunct Beer for only $2.99 a six-pack, which is about all you've got left after paying for the exciting tube of wart removal cream. Thank you Walgreens. Marketing genius and Cheap American Adjunct Beer at its best.

12-17-2010 18:53:56 | More by Terrapin777
NODAK

Tennessee

3.83/5  rDev +52%

Doesn't smell like a lot really...perhaps a bit of corn and faint hops. Nothing offensive nor spectacular there.

Taste is, for the style, actually rather good and clean. Body of the beer has a bit of corn going on, but it's paired with a bit of cereal grain and works pretty well for an adjunct lager. Small hop bitterness is at the back...corn and grain finish it out and it finishes very cleanly. Refreshing, actually.

If we're rating for style here, and we're supposed to, this is going to be pretty well rated because it's definitely superior to the big boys. I'm happy with it for the price. I can imagine it'd be really good on the lake or golfing.

02-19-2011 03:43:54 | More by NODAK

dsreeves

01-07-2013 01:52:09 | More by dsreeves
CorporateTool

3.7/5  rDev +46.8%

After years in my youth drinking mostly lousy German beers (in Germany), I came to the conclusion that American Adjunct lager beers were more to my liking. And Big Flats 1901 hits a home run with me! $2.99/6-pack, Available at your corner Walgreens - how much better can it get?

Poured cold into my 11 oz. iced mug, I got 3" of foamy head, which settled down after a couple of minutes and left a satisfying lace. Smelled a bit of aluminum can, otherwise smelled like BEER.

Looked and tasted like a slightly above average American "light" lager beer: a bit sweet, with light grain, malt and alcohol flavors, a light hop bite at the back of the mouth and throat when swallowing. Quite refreshing while watching my favorite NFL team advance in the playoffs.

No aftertaste, enough alcohol to induce a "pleasant experience with happy ending" after 3 or 4 cans (I'm a big guy). I'd pound more but if consumed in quantity beer clashes with one of my medications.

Summary: If you enjoy American Adjunct Lager beers, this is a bargain for a pleasant brew.

01-13-2011 04:37:57 | More by CorporateTool
davidnboone

3.58/5  rDev +42.1%

This is above average for the generic styles of beer we know as American adjuncts and I graded as such. It is sold by Walgreens only and since my wife is a pharmacist there I figured I'd try it. It's good to buy from who helps puts the food on your table. It is better than bud light on 8/10 days for me. These folks bashing it are not taking it for what it really represent-a $3 6 pack. It is the best $3 6 pack I know. Great cheap mowing beer. Is it better than PBR-not quite to me but it is different .

06-23-2011 22:44:29 | More by davidnboone
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.53/5  rDev +40.1%

Big Flats 1901 has a very thick, white head, and a clear, pale straw appearance, with lots of bubbles streaming up. Some lacing is left behind. The aroma is mild and stereotypical American-style lager. Taste is also mild, balanced, and good. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Big Flats 1901 finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a pretty good beer. Try one. You'll especially enjoy the price!

RJT

03-09-2011 19:47:03 | More by RonaldTheriot
weizenbob

3.5/5  rDev +38.9%

This can of Big Flats Premium Brew came from a $3.00 six-pack at the corner Walgreens. It is brewed by Genesee Brewing exclusively for the chain. The following is just a sampling of the wonder-inducing claims printed on the can: "Genuine Beer", "Brewed from only the choicest hops" and "It's the water that makes it." This smattering of such non-descript statements lets me know that I'm in for one of the beers of all time.

Poured to a pint glass, three fingers of white head surface for a cameo before settling down. Retention is actually pretty good and the lacing is nice. The beer is a pale bronze tint that looks soft but implies that it is watered down. Carbonation is very active. It is suspiciously reminiscent of Genesee Cream Ale.

The aroma gives off a little hop presence. It's barely noticeable, but I was surprised to recognize it at all given the low price this carries. The rest of the scent is prototypical corn-adjunct lager. It smells a bit more watery than average but still quite sweet.

The taste is a pleasant surprise; not in the sense that it's a revelation for the style, but in the sense that a $.50 can of beer shouldn't be this good. It's treading in the "lite" end of the American lager pool, but with a slight edge in the depth of flavor. The malt bill tastes sweet and grainy. Corn is used in a way that compliments the brew. Aftertaste is non-existent. It's a bit watery, which is why it feels more like light beer; but it is backed by enough taste to get a thumbs up.

In the mouth Big Flats barely registers above water. This can be a positive thing as I can come up with several uses for this beer. It's the classic yard-chore refreshment, a barbeque beer, what beer drinkers drink when they're not drinking beer, etc. All joking aside though, Big Flats is totally inoffensive and super-drinkable. The supposed 4.5% alcohol goes unnoticed; the brew goes down like water; it's cheap; and best of all, it tastes good for the style.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
Sure, I give a Schlitz about Big Flats, but definitely not two! Big Flats is cheap and readily available and I'd sincerely recommend it over any of the big three's standard offerings.

01-04-2011 03:27:40 | More by weizenbob
White

3.5/5  rDev +38.9%

01-02-2013 19:57:36 | More by White
dbraz45

3.38/5  rDev +34.1%

Overall, Big Flats is a solid mainstream American style lager. It's hard to imagine that something sold exclusively at Walgreens, at a budget price point could be decent, but this is. From a 12oz can, this pours a very light golden color, plenty of active carbonation, and a quickly dissipating head. A typical beer aroma is detected, cereal grains, and a very slight hop presence. This actually has more of a European lager type taste than most other similar style macro lagers.

This beer is nothing revolutionary in terms of style or brewing technique, but it is good for what it is. For the price, it is a great value.

09-08-2011 04:01:25 | More by dbraz45
Treath

3.38/5  rDev +34.1%

From a can poured into a glass mug.

A- Golden-orange color. A lot darker than I was expecting. Big head that fizzles away to a little ring. No lacing.

S- Mostly malts, sweet, grainy. No hop scent.

T- Tastes mostly of malts and some very overcooked veggies. Faint alcohol taste. Zero hops. Aftertaste is pure malts.

M- It was flat yet mysteriously carbonated on the tongue at the same time. Heavy, cloying.

O- Overall, this beer was OK, better than most. Very malt heavy. If it had some hops to balance it out, it would be a great beer.

09-13-2013 06:58:01 | More by Treath
Karyyk

South Carolina

3.35/5  rDev +32.9%

Like many others, I picked this up at Walgreens at $3.49 for a six-pack. I was going to pick up a few beers and didn't really feel like going anywhere else, so why not, I thought to myself. I wasn't expecting much at all, and since my normal beer drinking is done toward the low end (think Pabst, Schlitz, Schaefer, etc.), I couldn't see myself being too disappointed. I wasn't.

Big Flats 1901 is what I would call a very drinkable beer, a good yard work beer that works equally well washing down spicy Indian food or a greasy pizza (two pairings I've sampled at this point). Despite what some here have to say about it (beer snobs unite at this point, it's ok, I've been referred to as such due to my disdain for Bud Select), it really isn't bad.

Color is the usual macro very light straw yellow. There isn't much aroma other than from corn and the can. It pours a decent two-finger head and leaves a nice lacing as you drink it down (for my samplings I used a New Belgium globe glass). As for taste, I'm just going to say that it tastes good (grainy malt, slightly sweet with just enough hops to notice) and that it goes down smooth with little to no aftertaste. It's watery, but that's not a bad thing in this case (not every beer needs to be an oatmeal stout).

Really, for the price, it's not bad. I'd rather drink this at $3.50 for a six pack than any of the big macro-brewery's mainstream options at a couple of dollars more. It's exceptionally drinkable, and good enough that I've bought four more six packs since my initial purchase. It does the job, and frankly, I do prefer it to Pabst.

01-05-2011 02:07:39 | More by Karyyk
tvv375ia

Iowa

3.35/5  rDev +32.9%

poured from 12oz can into pint glass

A-poured a pale buff yellow with about 2 finger head that faded quickly

S-just like you would expect not a lot of anything pretty underwhelmg hints of hops and malts with some corn and cereal

T-again not much, a little corn flake like taste is about all, better than but not as "good" as Miller High Life IMO

M-fizzy and yellow just like it says for the style

O-not terrible, just not great if you are looking for any flavor , but at 2.99 for a six pack it is head and shoulders above BMC

11-10-2011 22:40:46 | More by tvv375ia
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

3.25/5  rDev +29%

Back on the CANquest for it is summer,
poured a typical light straw gold but had and held an ok head for an AAL
smelled faintly of grain and green plant/vegetable, pretty typical here too
Taste was sweet light maltyness followed by a sweet corn flavor actually isnt bad for an AAL
has a bit more of a body than the light AAL
Overall for $3 a sixer I don't see an issue with what this is, rated to style which may be why this may look higher to people. Would I turn this down for say a bud light, not any chance.

05-25-2011 00:59:26 | More by sliverX
Rmatuszak2

3.25/5  rDev +29%

11-17-2012 20:15:01 | More by Rmatuszak2
BrewSpongeOregon

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev +28.2%

I thought this beer was excellent for it's price.
I went into the Wallgreens that was built in my town recently for the first time. Apparently this beer is exclusively sold at Wallgreens for 2.99 a 6 pack, and I was expecting garbage, but I had never seen this beer before, so I decided to give it a try.
This beer exceeded my expectations, which mind you, were very low, so I am giving it a good score.
It's pretty light, but to me, it kind of tastes like a Budweiser knock off. It has the smell of Milwaukee's Best, not very great, but you get more than you pay for.

It's a typical American adjunct lager for an unbeatable price. Pick one up if you're looking to down a six pack at the river or something. It goes down pretty smooth when it's cold.

09-09-2011 04:52:33 | More by BrewSpongeOregon
epicness

3.2/5  rDev +27%

A: Light straw color with two fingers of white head. Pours a clear, thinly-hued, light straw body. A 2 to 3 finger puffy and bubbly white head initially sits on top of the beer but reduces to just a small ring around the glass.

S: Standard grain and corn is about it. Faint (understatement) spicy and earthy hops.

T: Very light and mild taste. Not a whole heck of a lot to it. Grains, corn, and spicy hops sum up the flavor very well in my opinion. Very watery/dry finish to this beer with a hint of bitterness.

M: Low bodied with medium carbonation. It's crisp and refreshing.

D: I didn't have a problem putting one down within a minute or too. The lack of a taste makes it really easy to drink. I'd challenge someone who doesn't like beer to drink one of these because I don't think they'd be able to say it's disgusting. I could see stashing a few of these away in the fridge for a warm summer day.

One thumb up. It's not a bad beer by any means. It's not something you'd seek out, but if you were at Walgreens or in the general area, why not pick it up? You won't be disappointed. I'd drink this over Bud, Miller, or Coors.

01-29-2011 04:32:39 | More by epicness
Vito

3.2/5  rDev +27%

Approx. $3.00 for a six-pack at Walgreens, ice cold from Walgreens' high-tech beverage rack.

Looks good, looks like it might be kind of tasty and might give me a good buzz.

Smells OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee.

Tastes OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee, with a slighly sour aftertaste.

Medium-low carbonation.

Overall, really OK, especially given the mind-blowing low price. Don't let the budget pricetag fool you -- Big Flats 1901 is a decent adjunct lager.

03-12-2012 01:09:08 | More by Vito
jeranbrews

Oklahoma

3.2/5  rDev +27%

*Can says, "brewed by brewmaster's choice, Rochester, NY"

A - picket fence white airy head. Some scattered lacing. Clear pale lemonaid yellow.

S - hayseeds. Corn husks. Smells vaguely of cut grass. Not sweet. Not hoppy. Not sour. But also not skunky. It has a non imposing noncommittal nose.

T - artificial sweeteners and corn syrup. Nothing to speak of in terms of hops, unusual for a California beer but not for one in this price range. Aftertaste just kinda sits there like the last guy to leave the party or a hobo on a bench. He doesn't bother anyone but isn't doing anything.

M - smooth easy enough going down. A good enough experience.

D - well most of what you can say about this beer is mediocre but you can't deny the price point. Less than $4 for six. For that price mediocre is doing quite well. Milwaukee and Coors could learn a few things from these guys. Cheap and not disgusting is possible.

07-10-2011 19:30:13 | More by jeranbrews