Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Disgusting!!! Vile!!! This is without a doubt the WORST beer I have ever tried!!! I tried a few cans, just to be sure and it was HORRIBLE every single time. At one time, I even gagged a little. Avoid unless you want to see how horrible this beer truly is. (255 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -61.1%

A: This has the least color in a beer that I have ever seen. When the "beer" is poured into a glass, it looks like well water. Mostly clear with that slight tint of color. Although it did manage to get a finger and a half to two fingers of head, it faded very quickly.

The can looked nice

S: Not much of a smell. About the only thing that could be smelled was a hint of metal.

T: Absolutely terrible taste of predominantly skunk and metal.

M: Feels like carbonated water.

D: This is undrinkable, I would not even use this for drinking games.

The beers only redeeming factor is that it is 3$. So, maybe if you really want to play a prank on one of your friends... (669 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -59.2%

PROS: Very cheap beer for the buzz - $2.99 a six-pack at Walgreen's, and the artwork on the can is ok.

CONS: The taste and smell makes me want to puke. Seriously, I have a hard time keeping it down. The only way to drink it is to plug your nose and chug it down as fast as possible. (283 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -56.6%

A- Golden
S- I smelled almost nothing, very faint hops
T- Like Keystone Light, In one word Cheap
M- Watery
D- Use for beer pong or a beer bong

While I'm not a fan of this beer if your having a beer pong party this would be the beer to use.It's cheap effective for that purpose. (279 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -54.3%

Purchased a 6-pack for $2.99 at Walgreens. There is no freshness date on the cans, which may explain my very poor review.

A - Extremely translucent with medium carbonation; it looks like an "ultra light" beer. No head whatsoever, even with an aggressive pour.

S - Smells skunked with strong hints of rotten cabbage. I've never smelled a beer this offensive in my life.

T - Absolutely horrendous. The rotten cabbage odor carries into the flavor -- I couldn't finish this beer.

M - Very watery and flat.

Personally, I've never tasted a beer this repulsive in my life. Perhaps the beer was 2-3 years past expiration, but I'm still going to rate it based on my experience with the particular 6-pack I purchased. AVOID. (719 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -48.7%

Appearance - average to good , head drops fast

Smell - mild sweet

Taste- corn, veggie, mild after taste a little sour not smooth

Mouthfeel- mostly after taste is gross

Overall - disappointing, watery bland with weird astringistey.

6 pack @ walgreens are 2.99 ---forget it. Natural light is much better
The brewer should be embarrassed for this contract brew. (364 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -48.7%

F / 1.45
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 3 | drink: 1.5

12oz can, bought at Walgreen's in Snellville GA @ $3.49 a
6pk. Yes its my birthday today so I said to myself, "Wtf,
might as well"! States that this beer is brewed by
"Brewmasters Choice". Honestly I'd rather trust a product
clearly labeled as a Genesee brew than something Ive
never, ever, ever heard of. Served into my Fischers .4l
tulip (Oh yeeeaaa!!)

> Pours strait up piss color, with a fizzy white 1/2 finger
> head that dissipates immediately.
> Smells like a fart honestly... Smells like a stew of
> rotten veggies soaked in lingering fart residue, not
> regular fart, but a foul intoxicating fart from a illegal immagrant who just finished off 2 1/2lbs of burritos and guacamole at a soccer game spiked with rotten olives. I honestly have never smelled a beer like this. I'm wondering if a employee farted in this can before the top was slammed on it.

Now im dreading tasting this stuff. Holy cow! Tastes like water with a punch of rotten veggies, closely following the horrid nose. A slight touch of goat piss, a wee bit of rotten corn husks, and something else thats definatly beyond freshness date.
> The mouthfeel is decent for a adjunct brew, kinda fizzy
> with medium carbonation goin on.
> Overall, if your homeless and looking for something to
> help you throw up that 3 week old burrito you found in
> that Taco Bell dumpster this beer is for you. Otherwise
> stay away from this beer, its only for the true pennyless
> drunk looking for something to keep him/her company while
> passing out under the I285/Sandy Springs bridge. Cheers!
> Serving type: can
> Originally Reviewed on: 12-13-2010 22:56:11 Re-Reviewed on January 2nd 2011 *Note* this is a constructive and honest review. I had to re-review it because apparently alot of cry-babys that surf this site and were horribly offended.. LOL Pfffft! (1,913 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -46%

The worst beer I have ever had. Tastes like someone watered-down a PBR and then threw corn meal into it. I was unable to choke down a single can even after a couple different beers and ended up pouring 10 cans out of a 12 pack down the sink. (242 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is light yellow and fizzy.

It doesn't have much smell. Grainy and metallic.

It's adjuncty and sweet. Not very hoppy. As it warms it gets worse.

It's watery and fizzy.

Overall, it's better than Big Flats Light, but that's not a stretch. (276 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Interestingly enough, the worst beer I've ever had was/is contract-brewed exclusively for 7-11 as a store brand (Game Day Ice.) Here is another contract-brewed beer made exclusively for Walgreens as a store brand, and it's just as horrendous. I'm noticing a pattern.

I recommend drinking this from the can, however, I did pour two cans (not all at once) into a 23 ounce pilsner glass to review.

A: Big Flats 1901 is much darker than I had anticipated. Golden. There is a two finger head with tight carbonation. After several minutes there is a ring that lasts the entire glass. No lacing without chugging.

S: Very sweet. Fruity. I smell bananas that have been sitting on the counter for two weeks and are black on the outside. I can smell lager beer if I try really hard. Closer to cheap wine than beer. I'm having bad flashbacks of Game Day Ice.

T: Horribly sweet. Sugary sweet. The sweetness is the first thing I taste and it lasts well after I swallow. There is some bitterness. Some stale malt like Cheerios soaked in water.

M: Carbonation is medium. It's more substantial than I expected. Easily the best part of the beer.

O: It's rare that I find a beer that I would never buy again, but here you go. This is now the second worst beer I've ever had just behind 7-11's Game Day Ice. The saddest part is that at 4.5% ABV there isn't even enough alcohol to get you drunk enough to not care how bad Big Flats 1901 tastes! Hell, that's a basic rule that developed the ice beer market. (1,493 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -39.6%

Big Flats 1901 pours a yellow color with a white head from a twelve ounce can. The aroma has some generic beer like thing going on. The flavor is bad, industrial chemical like flavors dominate, a touch of corn or malt or something is along for the ride. Usually I'm fairly generous when reviewing adjunct lagers, but this one is among the truly bad swill beers. (361 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

12 can poured into a pilsener glass. A bright white foam fills the top two inches of the glass, but recedes in a matter of seconds. There is a fairly dense lace cap on the surface and a few tracer lines on the glass. Body color is the clearest, palest yellow. There are active carbonation streamers and first, but they quickly dissipate.

Smell is barely noticeable. What is there is a mildly sweet corn aroma. Taste is watery, with a trace of grassy hops and corn sweetness. I have to really strain to detect flavors.

Mouthfeel is water. Big Flats is right. This is thin, flat and nothing to it. $2.99 a six pack. This is the epitome of cheap beer. (650 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -32.1%

I got this in a trade with my dad. I wasn't expecting much going into this. For $3 a sixer you get what you pay for. Basically I had it for the experience of having it.

The flavored water, er, I mean, beer, is a very pale gold color with fluffy white foam going to the top of the glass. The aroma is of a weak straw, that's about it. It tastes like what you'd expect from a $0.50 can of beer. Very faint straw and corn, with a touch of alcohol. It has just a touch of that "pilsner" sting; you know that face you make when you hear something so shocking and are in total disbelief and say "WHAT?!". That's the face you make when you drink this Walgreen's-brand turd.

This is what they should make kids drink so they learn that cheap beer is a waste of life.

Yes, it was a drain pour. (786 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -30.9%

2011 Can - Pours thin and clear neon yellow with a huge fluffy white head...aroma is corny with lightly toasted grain, flavour is corny and malty with a lot more wheat than I expected...finish is sweet and lightly skunky...wasn’t really expecting much and it didn’t disappoint, but the marketing campaign was tolerable...apparently even Walgreens has more integrity than the Bruery... (388 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -30.2%

Clear, with a hint of yellow. Lots of coarse bubbles that quickly dissipate. Sweet, slightly skunky smell.

Tastes like carbonated water. Slight corn flavor if you really search for it. A hint of hops.

As an experiment, I shook a can up to relieve as much carbonation as I could and poured it into a glass. It lost a lot of flavor. It tasted like very dilute American beer. I'd say that the majority of the flavor comes from the CO2, which gives it a slight metallic taste and acidic bite. No bitterness at all.

This is fine if you want to drink soda water. Probably cheaper too. At least it doesn't leave a bad aftertaste like most cheap beer. (646 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -29.4%

Can poured into a Sam Adams glass. In its defense, this can was purchased last December and expressly saved for eventual review. Poured with a massive but thin head that disappeared in three minutes or so. Color is a light gold. Smell is faintly of corn. Taste is of corn and alcohol. Mouthfeel is typical of the style, but a little light on carbonation. Overall, this is a particularly pungent example of a macro, one that is probably what you would expect from the price. (473 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -27.2%

I drank this from a pint glass...

It looks like your average macro American lager, pale yellow, thin whie head.The smell is very faint, I only noticed some sweet corn and just a tiny hint of grass. It tastes like carbonated water with a slight sweetness, and corn. It's light and has lots of carbonation, watery. The beer isn't horrible especially for $2.99 a six-pack. (370 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -25.3%

Read about this beer on CNN and amid my incredulousness, I just HAD to buy it.

A - very pale transparent yellow. very carbonated with a head that dissipates quickly.

S - The can says "brewed from only the choices hops" and I can smell a hint of these so-called "choice hops". Otherwise slightly grainy, sour smell wafting up.

T - Um.... well.... ok, i guess. I'm trying not to be swayed by the fact that each can costs a mere 50 cents. "choice hops" again come through amid the taste of adjunct grains and, well, water. Pretty bland.

M - Thin, watery, lives up to the slogan "It's the water that makes it"

D - The one redeeming factor (aside from the price - $2.99/6-pack) is the fact that I feel like I could pound all 6 of these in one sitting as long as they're ice-cold. (779 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Ahhh Big Flats...

Appearance-
Pale yellow, one finger white large bubble head.

Smell-
Very slight standard lager smell, really have to sniff to get at it.

Taste-
Like impoverished college beer, light sour hop, bready finish.

Mouthfeel-
Sharply carbonated, cleanses the pallet.

Overall-
If you are buying this beer, it is either out of morbid curiosity... or you aren't looking to be tasting for subtle hints of flavor. (423 characters)

Well at least its ultra cheap.

This pours a light straw color with a white foamy head, this is one of the lightest beers I've ever seen. The smell is of malted corn and other sweet malts. The mouth feel is light with some medium carbonation. The taste is pretty somewhat watery with some corn adjuncts and other sweet malts, it end with a minuscule bitterness. Okay this beer is far from being good and I had a pabst after which was way better, but at $3 for a 6 pack its one of the cheapest beers I've ever seen and its drinkable (and better than the keystone i also had). I could get a 12 pack of this for about the same price I pay for a pint. This isn't good but its a great deal (if you're wanting a cheap drunk which I normally don't). (743 characters)

Appearance: Light yellow, medium white head.
Aroma: Not much aroma.
Flavor: Not much flavor, thin highly carbonated. Light bodied, non-hoppy.
Overall: Very light, very plain domestic beer taste. This beer is exclusive to Walgreen's. I bought the 6 pack for $1.99. Not a terrible taste, but it left a slight chemical-like head ache. (331 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -23.4%

This is the new Walgreen's beer that sells for $3.72 for a sixer of cans. This one pours a pale yellow fizzy golden hue with a bright white head leaving a sporadic chunky sight of lace. Aroma has big cereal notes with slightly harsh tones of cereal grain offness, a bit of metallic edge. Some cooked veggies slightly cereal sweetness. Flavor wise more unwelcoming harshness, I just don't understand why Walgreen's wants to offer this caliber of shit beer along with your prescriptions. Cheap yes, good no. Will it satisfy your shitty beer cravings, wait hold on you really crave shitty beer. Maybe this site isn't for you. I really haven't liked anything from this beer marketing company out of Novato, CA. Especially Moe's Taproom No. 21, Cegauama, and Hollande 1500 and something. This carbonation and mouthfeel doesn't reinforce any reason why you should be drinking this can, overall shitty beer contract brewed by the good folks at Genesee sorry if I want cheap beer I will grab a six of Genny pounders. (1,008 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Meh. Watery and bland. Can't really say that it tastes bad since it largely has no taste at all other than a corn adjunct aftertaste. Not highly carbonated, so I imagine this would be a good choice for some frat party's beer bong: cheap, tasteless, and with only average/medium light carbonation. (296 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -23%

Appearance - pour a flat yellow/straw color. Impressive snowy head of two fingers strong. Holds up pretty nicely and has a decent creamy look to it as it fades back.

Aroma - husky grain, standard macro sniff.

Taste - grain, slightly sweet, not much depth. The swallow and finish fizzle, no development to be had. From the land of hops, where's the love? Somewhat Miller-ish, which could mean there should be no delays in the effort to dispatch of the brew before it hit 50 degrees or higher. Grainy finish, a bit watery but for the style holds together okay. Vegetal notes start creeping in, drink 'em up! *Edit - to be fair, I am bumping the score after the beer has warmed a bit. It holds up better than expected, which is to say, it doesn't get gross or make me hurl in my mouth a bit. Up to 'not impressed' woo hoo! Actually, I'd go as high as 2.25 if they allowed quarter-points.

Mouthfeel - crisp but feels a little undercarbonated just the same. Definitely doesn't have the body it needs.

Drinkability - value purchase at Walgreen's. Keep the Benjamins at bay and toss a few Washingtons in the mix. $3.33 a sixer. I got every penny's worth...unfortunately more pennies are needed, and I may have overpaid. Not to be overly harsh, I would ice 'er down and knock a few back after the yard work or cutting up some wood. But as a social lubricant, this beer will not be the positive subject of any discussion. (1,416 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pale yellow, very little head with no lacing.

S: Corn, weak, typical smell of standard BMC beers.

T: Eh, honestly, it wasn't terrible for a beer of this nature. But then again, I can't say I could discern it from others.

M: Watery, overly carbonated.

D: I would if I had to.

A six pack at $3 is not the worst money ever spent... (336 characters)

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews