2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Brewed for Walgreens Drug Stores

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010)
View: Beers (82) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 224 | Reviews: 124 | Show All Ratings:
tito42

Missouri

Poured from a can to an imperial pint. Purchased sixer at Walgreen's for $2.99, the ultimate value beer. BA lists the brewery as World Brews, which may manage the brand, but the beer itself is brewed in Rochester, NY, I believe at the Genesee Brewery that produces Dundee beers.

A: Golden straw with active carbonation and a pure white head that dissipates quickly but leaves decent lacing.

S: Sweet corn and malt with just a hint of something floral.

T: Sweet adjuncts with just a hint of something citrusy or floral. No off-taste that I might find in other adjunct lagers.

M: A little thicker mouthfeel than many adjuncts, with a touch of hops bitterness at the finish.

O: The definition of an average beer in one of the worst styles made. I'd rather have a PBR or Schlitz, but this is budget beer even compared to PBR or Beast. There is nothing offensive about this beer, albeit nothing really good about it either.

06-27-2011 02:51:15 | More by tito42
davidnboone

3.58/5  rDev +40.4%

This is above average for the generic styles of beer we know as American adjuncts and I graded as such. It is sold by Walgreens only and since my wife is a pharmacist there I figured I'd try it. It's good to buy from who helps puts the food on your table. It is better than bud light on 8/10 days for me. These folks bashing it are not taking it for what it really represent-a $3 6 pack. It is the best $3 6 pack I know. Great cheap mowing beer. Is it better than PBR-not quite to me but it is different .

06-23-2011 22:44:29 | More by davidnboone
dali27

2.15/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from 12 oz. can into pint glass.

A: Pale golden in color. Strong pour creates thick head that is gone in a moment to barely a trace of head.

S: Adjunct smell. Corn, grains, light malt.

T: I don't know, kinda what you'd expect, tastes like beer that I sipped from my dad when I was young. The one noticable bad taste was metallic, tasted like blood.

M: Light, water-like.

O: I had the same reaction as others when I saw it. "Walgreens generic brand beer? For $2.99? I gotta try it." It's just that, a novelty.

Took this on recent camping weekend where selection was PBR, High Life and Schlitz. All were superior to this, and seriously they are all only pennies more in price. Not worth it.

06-23-2011 02:56:43 | More by dali27
UltraZelda64

2.78/5  rDev +9%

Alright... I'm broke and have been for a while. Not too long ago I came across some weird beer I've never heard of while walking through Walgreens one night--Big Flats. Its regular price is $3.75, but it was on sale for about 3 bucks--for a six pack. It seems like it's always on sale, by the way--just bought a six-pack for $3.33. Either way, I was laughing, thinking... man, less than four bucks for a six-pack? That stuff must suck. And I bet it's a Walgreens brand to top it off, heh. But... I bought it anyway, I really wanted some beer (and some alcohol). I previously did search the Web for it, and resorted to BeerAdvocate, where several people have said that they found the beer at their local Walgreens.

This review is actually of my second or third time buying this beer. But this is no ordinary review--the beer has an odd sourness to it, which I find unpleasant (and the main downfall of this beer), so I decided to try it after taking half of a Miracle Fruit tablet. Long story short, Miracle Fruit is the berry from the plant species Synsepalum dulcificum. The fruit contains a chemical that--when it coats the tongue--causes acidic (in other words: bitter and sour) foods and drinks to taste sweet. It's not a drug; it simply connects with the acidity-sensing taste buds on the tongue and causes them to send a different signals to the brain.

I tried Miracle Fruit before with a Guinness for the hell of it, and I'll be damned if that didn't take away every last bit of bitterness that the beer had! It almost tasted like a chocolate milkshake. So I figured, why not see if I can make this decent-but-sour cheap beer decent? It'd be interesting. So I did... and here are the results.

Appearance: Pours a very, very light (and unattractive) perfectly clear straw color with relatively few, extremely tiny carbonation bubbles. The liquid itself, when examined, is actually quite ugly. The beer produces a nice, fluffy, surprisingly-long-lasting head--far bigger than I would have expected, and its lacing lasts, sticking literally all over the glass. The head is long gone by the time the entire 12oz is drank (hell, even before half is gone at my rate of drinking), but unlike some macro lagers, it at least sticks around for a couple minutes. Although the liquid beer looks pretty pathetic, the nice head and heavy lacing score it a few points. The longevity of the head is surprising even compared to some of the biggest brand macro lagers.

Aroma: Don't expect much here; it has the smell of a typical cheap American macro lager. But still, it's actually not offensive and has a bit more of a smell to it than some of the "big" ones. I know I've smelled some beers that smell horrible; this is actually not one of them. But then, it's not one of those amazing smelling beers that makes your mouth water either. It smells like a beer at least, so it gets a point or two for that.

Taste: Now, the taste. Normally, this beer tastes... well, decent, if it wasn't for that unappealing, strange sourness that just reminds me, "this stuff could be so much better..." I took a few sips and the sourness was actually there, but it didn't seem quite as strong as I remembered; maybe it was just the batch, or the fact that I'm getting somewhat used to it, having bought a few six-packs so far. Either way, I popped half of a Miracle Fruit tablet in my mouth, swished it around, chewed it, and thoroughly coated my tongue with it. I took another few sips. No sourness, the beer is actually very decent! The very little bitterness the beer had (negligible) is gone, as is all of the sourness. This really is a miracle... a $3.33 six-pack is actually somewhat of a pleasure to drink after taking the Miracle Fruit tablet. Amazing. Note that with that sourness, I would probably rate the taste as just below average (2.5).

Mouthfeel: Well, what can I say? A somewhat substandard-feeling macro beer. Its low carbonation makes it feel a little weak on the tongue even compared to the big beers. But come on, look at the price... just over (and sometimes exactly, depending on the sale) 3 bucks.

With the sourness this beer has, I would give it an overall rating of 2.5, but after it's removed by the Miracle Fruit I would say it's average for a decent beer of the style.

For anyone interested in the Miracle Fruit... here are some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum - Wikipedia article
http://mberry.us/ - I got my Miracle Fruit tablets from here. They also sell plants, but they're expensive...

06-04-2011 05:06:42 | More by UltraZelda64
ZGradt

1.83/5  rDev -28.2%

Clear, with a hint of yellow. Lots of coarse bubbles that quickly dissipate. Sweet, slightly skunky smell.

Tastes like carbonated water. Slight corn flavor if you really search for it. A hint of hops.

As an experiment, I shook a can up to relieve as much carbonation as I could and poured it into a glass. It lost a lot of flavor. It tasted like very dilute American beer. I'd say that the majority of the flavor comes from the CO2, which gives it a slight metallic taste and acidic bite. No bitterness at all.

This is fine if you want to drink soda water. Probably cheaper too. At least it doesn't leave a bad aftertaste like most cheap beer.

06-03-2011 04:17:12 | More by ZGradt
bnes09

2.15/5  rDev -15.7%

Pale lemon colored lager. Some visible bubbles. Two finger white head forms than recedes to a minimal froth. Very little lacing.

Smell of bread grains and corn. Some skunk.

Some malt flavor with a week-old, bread-like flavor. Rough corn flavor which tastes like sour grits. Underlying metallic character, I imagine that liquid silver tastes something like this. Finish is sour. Not enjoyable.

Lighter consistency but not watery. Descent carbonation. Gritty texture throughout. Its feels as if pieces of metal are sticking to the back of my tongue with each sip.

I would recommend avoiding this stuff. Try not to be temped by the $2.99 price for a six pack if you shop at Walgreens. Not the worst beer I have ever tried but there are plenty better beers if you are looking for something cheap.

05-27-2011 00:49:33 | More by bnes09
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

3.25/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Back on the CANquest for it is summer,
poured a typical light straw gold but had and held an ok head for an AAL
smelled faintly of grain and green plant/vegetable, pretty typical here too
Taste was sweet light maltyness followed by a sweet corn flavor actually isnt bad for an AAL
has a bit more of a body than the light AAL
Overall for $3 a sixer I don't see an issue with what this is, rated to style which may be why this may look higher to people. Would I turn this down for say a bud light, not any chance.

05-25-2011 00:59:26 | More by sliverX
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

2.7/5  rDev +5.9%

I was curious since the price of the 6-pack was $2.99!! i had to try it.

A pale white-gold color with a standard but decent high white head that actually had slow dissipation leaving a decent amount of stuff around.

A basic adjunct lager aroma with dry corn, wheat, light and sweet-bready malt but with an unpleasent perm-treatment chemmy smell.

The flavor is pretty clean as it states on the can: "It's the water that makes it"...and it's plenty watery feel and flavor but with all of the right aspects like crispy malt and musty yeastie backdrop. there is nothing "off' in the flavor so it's really not a bad taste for the price.

don't be affraid to drink this one straight from the can!

05-21-2011 21:00:44 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
shaunb81

3.13/5  rDev +22.7%

I must say off the bat that this beer cost me $2.50 for a six pack.

Appearance - So, from the look of this beer, you would think it would hold up to other American lagers. Pours a clear, clear, clear golden body. Lots of bubbles. A nice 2 inch head that disappears way to fast. the lacing, on the other hand, is quite nice.

Smell - Smells pretty sweet actually. Much more sweet than I thought it would. I also get some grassy and earthy notes popping through.

Taste - I'll be honest. I'm not looking forward to this... It's still a bit sweet and the earthy tones definitely come through on the taste. Eh.

Mouthfeel - This beer is pretty carbonated, as is MOST of the American lagers on the shelves. It coats the palate pretty nicely.

Overall - I'm actually really surprised with this beer. The fact that it taste pretty good and costs sooo little just blows me away. I might actually buy this again, but only if I have a few bucks and want a substantial amount of beer.

05-13-2011 04:10:44 | More by shaunb81
mooseisloose

2.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Wow $10.99 a case, I can't pass this up and can feed this brew to unsuspecting macro drinkers. But I must try one, so let's give it a whirl. Popping the can and pouring into a pint this brew has the classic adjunct macro smell all the way, like a saki bomb. Pours to a light bright yellow with a big foamy head that holds up well. Good start. On the taste this brew has a classic semi sweet malt and flatly bitter taste throughout with the same but quickly fading aftertaste. Carbonation is lower than expected but overall the mouthfeel is ok and the brew is not offensive and palatable. For $0.45 a serving, one cannot berate this brew in all catagories.

05-07-2011 18:03:35 | More by mooseisloose
Nerudamann

Oregon

Poured from a can into a stein glass.

Look - pale straw color, clear, with about 2 fingers worth of off-white foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - typical adjunct lager type of smell, very cereal-like and thing.

Taste and Mouthfeel - also very cereal-like and thin in the taste. There's a general muskiness, but otherwise not much of a taste at all. A little bitter in the beginning but that fades fast. Texture is not too badly balanced, but still more toward the watery side.

Overall - just another typical tasteless adjunct beer. Not impressed.

05-07-2011 06:03:24 | More by Nerudamann
huxcrunner

2.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer is a very pale straw yellow color with about 2 fingers of white head that fades fast and little to no lacing in the glass

Smell is light can says brewed with choicest hops but the aromas would say otherwise, has an aroma most similar to a natty light or keystone light

Taste is sweet and light no real big flavors very watery for claiming to be a full body beer and not a "light" beer

Mouthfeel is light and clean not myuch substance to this

Overall this beer is very cheap so I didn't expect much this is a beer that you can drink a lot of on a tight budget and can give you a break from the eveyday major commercial cheap light beer and is neat to say that you had a beer called big flats. So if your looking to drink cheap this could be a good choice otherwise this should be avoided

04-26-2011 22:37:41 | More by huxcrunner
GregBlatz

2.33/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

$3.99 at Walgreen's. Never heard of it before.

A - Very light straw color. Very clear and has a full thick head that looks like it is lacing as it falls.

S - Light grain sweetness. Smells very clean.

T - Cloying sweetness up front. But that fades. Somewhat of a sour or stale like flavor. After that it finishes rather clean.

M - Some creaminess. Strong carbonation. Typical american lager thinness.

Overall - Well, it is like a typical mega brew, but it does have a bit more character. Not sure if I like the character or not, but worth a shot if you are looking to pound some American macro brews.

04-21-2011 23:54:38 | More by GregBlatz
MasterSki

2.88/5  rDev +12.9%

Can courtesy of optimator13 for this gag extra. Served in a pilsener glass.

A - Two fingers of eggshell foam quickly sizzle to a partial ring and cluster of wispy bubbles. Transparent urine-colored body with lots of visible bubble streams racing upward. Looks like pretty much every other macro lager.

S - Mostly grain, some faint creamed corn, and a hint of grass. Pretty boring and inoffensive.

T - Taste is largely cereal grains, with a hint of buttery pils malt, nebulous fruity notes, and a fairly clean finish. A bit too sweet for my preference, but not awful.

M - Grainy, medium-light body. Higher carbonation, and a surprisingly pleasant dry, crisp finish. It's a bit watery, but it's actually kind of refreshing.

D - Pretty inoffensive adjunct lager, and for the price it's much preferable to many BMC offerings I have tried. I can't imagine myself ever purchasing this, but if it was between this and Bud Light at a friend's house I'd pick this one.

04-20-2011 17:41:23 | More by MasterSki
fastrodney

1.78/5  rDev -30.2%

Can poured into a Sam Adams glass. In its defense, this can was purchased last December and expressly saved for eventual review. Poured with a massive but thin head that disappeared in three minutes or so. Color is a light gold. Smell is faintly of corn. Taste is of corn and alcohol. Mouthfeel is typical of the style, but a little light on carbonation. Overall, this is a particularly pungent example of a macro, one that is probably what you would expect from the price.

04-17-2011 00:29:49 | More by fastrodney
Hoagie1973

2.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Not terrible. Much lighter in color than anything I've had that didn't state "Light" on the label. Flavor is typical corny adjunct-filled cheap lager, but with no harshness or weird off-flavors. Mild and inoffensive overall. It's drinkable enough for the price.

04-15-2011 17:51:53 | More by Hoagie1973
ElCommodoro

Now, I used to think that this beer was freaking amazing for its price range (cheapest beer money can buy). Then I had a couple later on that I thought were really nasty. I've been drinking it from time to time since and unless my taste buds are just not working this month, it seems like this brew is VERY inconsistent. Sometimes, it tastes corny and boozy. Other times, it has an unpleasant taste reminiscent of the big name brews. Still other times, it just seems bland and neutral. Can anyone back me up on this? Is this beer different every time? What's the deal?
So, all I can say about this beer is it's inconsistent. You're not buying beer when you buy a pack, you're buying adventure. Adventure for only $3. Still a good deal. But this is no longer my favorite budget beer. It's my second favorite. I kind of like the surprise. My favorite budget beer now is Schlitz gusto. It's ALWAYS good.

UPDATE: Schlitz Gusto has gone up in price and I'm no longer into how dry it is, so this is once again my favourite budget beer. It is still very inconsistent, but it is almost always worth 50 cents a can. My last 6-pack had an excellent sweet lager taste, much like a cream ale. The one I'm drinking now tastes almost exactly like liquid Sugar Smacks cereal, which is not to say that it's overly sweet, it's just got that exact weird flavour that Sugar Smacks has (I think it's corn bran flavour). So, still an adventure with every can, but still better than buying bland, overpriced crap like Lonestar or Bud.

04-03-2011 05:08:11 | More by ElCommodoro
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

1.78/5  rDev -30.2%

I got this in a trade with my dad. I wasn't expecting much going into this. For $3 a sixer you get what you pay for. Basically I had it for the experience of having it.

The flavored water, er, I mean, beer, is a very pale gold color with fluffy white foam going to the top of the glass. The aroma is of a weak straw, that's about it. It tastes like what you'd expect from a $0.50 can of beer. Very faint straw and corn, with a touch of alcohol. It has just a touch of that "pilsner" sting; you know that face you make when you hear something so shocking and are in total disbelief and say "WHAT?!". That's the face you make when you drink this Walgreen's-brand turd.

This is what they should make kids drink so they learn that cheap beer is a waste of life.

Yes, it was a drain pour.

04-02-2011 02:57:04 | More by DesMoinesMike
bort11

Missouri

1.65/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

12 can poured into a pilsener glass. A bright white foam fills the top two inches of the glass, but recedes in a matter of seconds. There is a fairly dense lace cap on the surface and a few tracer lines on the glass. Body color is the clearest, palest yellow. There are active carbonation streamers and first, but they quickly dissipate.

Smell is barely noticeable. What is there is a mildly sweet corn aroma. Taste is watery, with a trace of grassy hops and corn sweetness. I have to really strain to detect flavors.

Mouthfeel is water. Big Flats is right. This is thin, flat and nothing to it. $2.99 a six pack. This is the epitome of cheap beer.

04-02-2011 00:09:54 | More by bort11
tjsdomer2

2.8/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pretty average in color. Straw yellow. Gives a nice pour overall. Not much lacing, but some foam is nice. Carbonation is fairly heavy and definitely rustic.

Smell: Pretty clean overall. Mostly boiled or lightly baked grain. Pretty fresh overall.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I've tried this out of the can and poured into a glass and I definitely notice a difference. It comes across cleaner at the beginning but with a thicker, sour mouthfeel. In contrast, out of the can it tastes more metallic at the beginning and tastes and feels cleaner in the finish. Definitely carbonated all around though yet a bit flat in the finish.

Drinkability: I'm gonna give this some credit. Nothing terrible about it makes it untolerable.

Overall: Not quite as good as macro lagers, but better than the cheap versions.

03-24-2011 05:51:41 | More by tjsdomer2
elgiacomo

Georgia

2.23/5  rDev -12.5%

12oz canned Nov 9, 2010.

Pours clear pale yellow with hints of neon green with a one finger white head that quickly fades to a wispy cap.

Aroma is full of that typical adjunct lager corn deliciousness with an added touch of sulfur. Weak to moderate strength...a good thing in this case.

Flavor is sweet corn, grains, sugar, sweetness, graininess, sweet, grainy and sweet.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, prickly carbonation.

Not HORRIBLE for the style and price point (I'd take this over Beast Ice), but I'd still rather pony up the extra pocket change for some PBR if I ever needed to drink on the cheap. The beer was gifted to me so I'm reviewing for shits 'n' giggles (read: tick) and will use it to wash down some greasy Long John Silvers...

03-24-2011 00:50:15 | More by elgiacomo
msubulldog25

Oregon

3.05/5  rDev +19.6%

A $2.99 6-pack found (exclusively!) at the nearby Walgreens - too interesting/budget-friendly to pass! 12 oz. can poured to a pint glass.

Label features a mammoth waterwheel set squarely amidst a roaring river. Quality-guaranteeing superlatives such as: 'PREMIUM BREW', 'Genuine Brew' [in fancy script], 'Brewed From Only The Choicest Hops', and 'It's the water that makes it.' No idea what '1901' has to do with anything. Regardless, great self-promotion...

'Brewed by Brewmaster's Choice, Rochester, NY'

A: As standard as they come: straw-golden and ultra-refined clarity. Initial burst of carbonation and a finger+ of cottony froth. Disintegrates quickly, leaving little more than a postage stamp patch of film offset to one side. Zero lace.

S: An unappealing vegetable/DMS smell at first, but fade in seconds... from then on, corny sweetness and light cereal maltiness. Neither off nor exciting, just the expected.

T: I'm not a connoisseur of the style, but I have downed these generally benign brews from time to time over recent years (parties, leftovers, etc). With that basis for comparison, this falls squarely within the 'norm', sorta sweet, mildly hopped (spice mostly) and drying finish (a bit peppery).

M: Mellow mouthfeel, not a huge carbonation. Not as thin as some adjunct lagers (a plus), but not quite as smooth/clean (kinda sticky actually).

O: Not so bad, really, although I admit to consuming a couple right after a day spent pruning, digging and weeding - so a beer like this kinda hit the spot. Easy to drink and refreshing enough, despite some quirks with the mouthfeel. Probably wouldn't buy it again, although the cheap price tag should make it an attractive alternative to BMC/PBR-type options.

03-23-2011 22:48:19 | More by msubulldog25
Drew966

1.55/5  rDev -39.2%

Big Flats 1901 pours a yellow color with a white head from a twelve ounce can. The aroma has some generic beer like thing going on. The flavor is bad, industrial chemical like flavors dominate, a touch of corn or malt or something is along for the ride. Usually I'm fairly generous when reviewing adjunct lagers, but this one is among the truly bad swill beers.

03-20-2011 13:14:54 | More by Drew966
pjszabo

Arizona

4.08/5  rDev +60%

This super drinkable beer was 3.00 a six pack. More than worth it. I would I've payed 5 or 6 for this 4.5 percent six pack. My dad recommended it to me and he's 1 for 1 on beer recommendations. I want to try it on tap. It's a great beer to play beer pong with and to drink at the movies.

03-16-2011 05:57:05 | More by pjszabo
Bachledk

1.02/5  rDev -60%

A: This has the least color in a beer that I have ever seen. When the "beer" is poured into a glass, it looks like well water. Mostly clear with that slight tint of color. Although it did manage to get a finger and a half to two fingers of head, it faded very quickly.

The can looked nice

S: Not much of a smell. About the only thing that could be smelled was a hint of metal.

T: Absolutely terrible taste of predominantly skunk and metal.

M: Feels like carbonated water.

D: This is undrinkable, I would not even use this for drinking games.

The beers only redeeming factor is that it is 3$. So, maybe if you really want to play a prank on one of your friends...

03-15-2011 17:40:52 | More by Bachledk