Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.
3.18/5  rDev +20%

I thought this beer was excellent for it's price.
I went into the Wallgreens that was built in my town recently for the first time. Apparently this beer is exclusively sold at Wallgreens for 2.99 a 6 pack, and I was expecting garbage, but I had never seen this beer before, so I decided to give it a try.
This beer exceeded my expectations, which mind you, were very low, so I am giving it a good score.
It's pretty light, but to me, it kind of tastes like a Budweiser knock off. It has the smell of Milwaukee's Best, not very great, but you get more than you pay for.

It's a typical American adjunct lager for an unbeatable price. Pick one up if you're looking to down a six pack at the river or something. It goes down pretty smooth when it's cold. (753 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +26.8%

Overall, Big Flats is a solid mainstream American style lager. It's hard to imagine that something sold exclusively at Walgreens, at a budget price point could be decent, but this is. From a 12oz can, this pours a very light golden color, plenty of active carbonation, and a quickly dissipating head. A typical beer aroma is detected, cereal grains, and a very slight hop presence. This actually has more of a European lager type taste than most other similar style macro lagers.

This beer is nothing revolutionary in terms of style or brewing technique, but it is good for what it is. For the price, it is a great value. (623 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Big Flats, American Lager brewed by Brewmaster's Choice Rochester NY.

A: Nice golden color with an attempt at some lacing, pours a nice thick head which disappears rather quickly 3.0

S: Smells of typical American lagers in which you get a load of grainy pale malts but I did not expect some grassy notes, expected a plain no smell no taste beer. 3.0

T: Grassy and grainy for sure maybe some corn adjuncts in there with all the malts. Slight fruity taste, an almost non-existent hop flavor lingering at the back end. 3.0

M: Light bodied and not much to talk about but nice carbonation level. 2.5

O: Overall I could have this again, no big hurry but will consider it on hot day at beach and don’t want anything to high in ABV to bog you down.
3.0 (762 characters)

Along with many on this site, I am a beer snob. With this beer consider the price when you review it. As long as it's cold, I find it to be on par if not better than High Life, Corona, Lone Star and other lagers yet costs about half, sometimes less. I'm giving it 3.0 eh, but it deserves better. (295 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -30.9%

2011 Can - Pours thin and clear neon yellow with a huge fluffy white head...aroma is corny with lightly toasted grain, flavour is corny and malty with a lot more wheat than I expected...finish is sweet and lightly skunky...wasn’t really expecting much and it didn’t disappoint, but the marketing campaign was tolerable...apparently even Walgreens has more integrity than the Bruery... (388 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -17.4%

Can courtesy of BeerFMAndy. This is how he repays me for sharing sours all the time? Thanks friend. Poured into a tulip.

A: Crystal clear pale yellow. Three fingers of white head fill the top half of my glass then fade away rather quick. Just a tiny smattering a soapy lace remains.

S: Sweet grains, grassy, sour malt. Smells like a weak malt liquor.

T: The flavors are fairly mild but nowhere near good. Faint hops, mildly tart malt, grass clippings, cooked vegetables. Pretty standard for the style.

M: Light body with biting carbonation.

O: It's an AAL. Just as shitty as the rest of em. (598 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -54.3%

Purchased a 6-pack for $2.99 at Walgreens. There is no freshness date on the cans, which may explain my very poor review.

A - Extremely translucent with medium carbonation; it looks like an "ultra light" beer. No head whatsoever, even with an aggressive pour.

S - Smells skunked with strong hints of rotten cabbage. I've never smelled a beer this offensive in my life.

T - Absolutely horrendous. The rotten cabbage odor carries into the flavor -- I couldn't finish this beer.

M - Very watery and flat.

Personally, I've never tasted a beer this repulsive in my life. Perhaps the beer was 2-3 years past expiration, but I'm still going to rate it based on my experience with the particular 6-pack I purchased. AVOID. (719 characters)

$2.99 6-pack sold at Walgreens quite wallet friendly beer 12 oz. can served in my favorite glassware from the brands brewer Genesee
Label is appealing with a large waterwheel rolling in a raging river. the label as read 'PREMIUM BREW', Genuine Brew 'Brewed From Only The Choicest Hops', and 'It's the water that makes it.("really"? we did'nt know that.) Big flats '1901'label has instresting grapics on the label and big self promotion and to think all that hoopla is what sells ajunct filled beers."Brewed by Brewmaster's Choice, Rochester, NY" a Genessee brand

As standard as regular beer comes, straw-golden colour and extra filtered clarity. Initial start of medium carbonation and two fingers of fluffy head. Disintegrates too quick, leaving little more than a very extra thin layer of of head.Nose starts as a not very appealing vegetable smell at pour, but not to worry will fade in seconds, from then on,light corn sweetness and light cereal maltiness. Neither off nor exciting, just whats expected for this style.I'm definitely not a connoisseur of some mainstream ajunct beers, but I have downed this style of beer once in a while in past years With that keeping that in mind this beer falls in the regular american ajunct beer style , kind of sweet start, mildly hopped and dry finish.
nice mellow mouthfeel, low carbonation. Not as heavly carbonated and thin tasing as some big name adjunct lagers, which is a big bonus for my taste , but not quite as smooth as could be, but as good or better than most ajunct beers at $4.50 or less price. Not too bad, really, although I have admit to consuming a six pack right after a long stressfull work day so beer period would definitely do the job.So in all fairness i wanted try it agin. I found it easy enough to drink and refreshing though, mouthfeel does not stand out.Head is nice 2 fingers of foam but dissipates too quickly. This beer is nothing to write home about, the cheap price tag makes it an Formidable Competitor to big name ajunct beers.and at $2.99 your wallet can sleep easy.!!!! (2,054 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -23.4%

This is the new Walgreen's beer that sells for $3.72 for a sixer of cans. This one pours a pale yellow fizzy golden hue with a bright white head leaving a sporadic chunky sight of lace. Aroma has big cereal notes with slightly harsh tones of cereal grain offness, a bit of metallic edge. Some cooked veggies slightly cereal sweetness. Flavor wise more unwelcoming harshness, I just don't understand why Walgreen's wants to offer this caliber of shit beer along with your prescriptions. Cheap yes, good no. Will it satisfy your shitty beer cravings, wait hold on you really crave shitty beer. Maybe this site isn't for you. I really haven't liked anything from this beer marketing company out of Novato, CA. Especially Moe's Taproom No. 21, Cegauama, and Hollande 1500 and something. This carbonation and mouthfeel doesn't reinforce any reason why you should be drinking this can, overall shitty beer contract brewed by the good folks at Genesee sorry if I want cheap beer I will grab a six of Genny pounders. (1,008 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can into pint pint glass

A: Lots of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass and good levels of carbonation. Body has a very clear yellow character. White head sinks very quickly.

S: The aroma has a very high level of rice and other adjuncts. No real hop or malty tone. Light aroma for style.

T/M: The first sip shows a grassy, corn element. The low level of hop character is not balanced with the other low level of other tastes. Mouthfeel is standard and crisp for the style.

O: This a bit of a lack luster brew, to the style it does not set a very good example. (575 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Light yellow and very clear. Nice pouring head, but disappears quite rapidly.

S: I smell a little apple and citrus, slightly grainy. Has a bread undertone.

T: Like most beers of this style its extremely hard to find some distinct taste to put your finger on. The malt is more prominant in this beer than many in the style. Hops are non existant. If i had to name a few subtle tastes it would be apple and citrus, but they are so faint that it isnt worth mentioning. Slightly sour, but not to the extent some people have said.

M: Light, smooth, very easy going down.

O: This beer is for nothing more than drinking on a hot summer day if the water company suddenly told you that your local water supply was contaminated with parasitic ameoba. Honestly, this beer isnt that bad. Ive paid double this price for a single beer that i didnt enjoy as much as this beer's sixpack ($2.99 7/18/11). And now i have 5 more. They will be saved for a hot summer day outside. (970 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: pale yellow with 1 finger white head

smell: lager yeast, corn, rice, malt

taste: water, lager yeast, corn

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin body,

overall: Had to get when I found out it's a Walgreens brand beer. Plus it's 2.99 for a 6 pack : )

Cheers,
The CPJ (298 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -27.2%

I drank this from a pint glass...

It looks like your average macro American lager, pale yellow, thin whie head.The smell is very faint, I only noticed some sweet corn and just a tiny hint of grass. It tastes like carbonated water with a slight sweetness, and corn. It's light and has lots of carbonation, watery. The beer isn't horrible especially for $2.99 a six-pack. (370 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +20.8%

*Can says, "brewed by brewmaster's choice, Rochester, NY"

A - picket fence white airy head. Some scattered lacing. Clear pale lemonaid yellow.

S - hayseeds. Corn husks. Smells vaguely of cut grass. Not sweet. Not hoppy. Not sour. But also not skunky. It has a non imposing noncommittal nose.

T - artificial sweeteners and corn syrup. Nothing to speak of in terms of hops, unusual for a California beer but not for one in this price range. Aftertaste just kinda sits there like the last guy to leave the party or a hobo on a bench. He doesn't bother anyone but isn't doing anything.

M - smooth easy enough going down. A good enough experience.

D - well most of what you can say about this beer is mediocre but you can't deny the price point. Less than $4 for six. For that price mediocre is doing quite well. Milwaukee and Coors could learn a few things from these guys. Cheap and not disgusting is possible. (916 characters)

Well at least its ultra cheap.

This pours a light straw color with a white foamy head, this is one of the lightest beers I've ever seen. The smell is of malted corn and other sweet malts. The mouth feel is light with some medium carbonation. The taste is pretty somewhat watery with some corn adjuncts and other sweet malts, it end with a minuscule bitterness. Okay this beer is far from being good and I had a pabst after which was way better, but at $3 for a 6 pack its one of the cheapest beers I've ever seen and its drinkable (and better than the keystone i also had). I could get a 12 pack of this for about the same price I pay for a pint. This isn't good but its a great deal (if you're wanting a cheap drunk which I normally don't). (743 characters)

Appearance: Clear medium golden in color, with a moderate, dense and persistent white head. Clouds of fat bubbles race to the surface. The lacing is thick and broken.

Aroma; Clean pale malt, some faint hops, cooked vegetables, and a faint mustiness.

Taste: Opens with some pale malt, then a wave of metallic hops. Toward the end of the taste, the alcohol s quite distinct, which is odd, considering that this beer is only 4.5% ABV. In taste, it is actually quite reminiscent of a malt liquor, although with considerably less alcohol.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, a bit thin.

Drinkability/notes: At $2.99 for a six-pack, it really not that bad. If consumed quite cold on a hot summer day, it really is pleasant.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce pop-top aluminum can, served in a standard pint Pilsener glass. (820 characters)

Poured from a can to an imperial pint. Purchased sixer at Walgreen's for $2.99, the ultimate value beer. BA lists the brewery as World Brews, which may manage the brand, but the beer itself is brewed in Rochester, NY, I believe at the Genesee Brewery that produces Dundee beers.

A: Golden straw with active carbonation and a pure white head that dissipates quickly but leaves decent lacing.

S: Sweet corn and malt with just a hint of something floral.

T: Sweet adjuncts with just a hint of something citrusy or floral. No off-taste that I might find in other adjunct lagers.

M: A little thicker mouthfeel than many adjuncts, with a touch of hops bitterness at the finish.

O: The definition of an average beer in one of the worst styles made. I'd rather have a PBR or Schlitz, but this is budget beer even compared to PBR or Beast. There is nothing offensive about this beer, albeit nothing really good about it either. (924 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +35.1%

This is above average for the generic styles of beer we know as American adjuncts and I graded as such. It is sold by Walgreens only and since my wife is a pharmacist there I figured I'd try it. It's good to buy from who helps puts the food on your table. It is better than bud light on 8/10 days for me. These folks bashing it are not taking it for what it really represent-a $3 6 pack. It is the best $3 6 pack I know. Great cheap mowing beer. Is it better than PBR-not quite to me but it is different . (505 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from 12 oz. can into pint glass.

A: Pale golden in color. Strong pour creates thick head that is gone in a moment to barely a trace of head.

S: Adjunct smell. Corn, grains, light malt.

T: I don't know, kinda what you'd expect, tastes like beer that I sipped from my dad when I was young. The one noticable bad taste was metallic, tasted like blood.

M: Light, water-like.

O: I had the same reaction as others when I saw it. "Walgreens generic brand beer? For $2.99? I gotta try it." It's just that, a novelty.

Took this on recent camping weekend where selection was PBR, High Life and Schlitz. All were superior to this, and seriously they are all only pennies more in price. Not worth it. (702 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

Alright... I'm broke and have been for a while. Not too long ago I came across some weird beer I've never heard of while walking through Walgreens one night--Big Flats. Its regular price is $3.75, but it was on sale for about 3 bucks--for a six pack. It seems like it's always on sale, by the way--just bought a six-pack for $3.33. Either way, I was laughing, thinking... man, less than four bucks for a six-pack? That stuff must suck. And I bet it's a Walgreens brand to top it off, heh. But... I bought it anyway, I really wanted some beer (and some alcohol). I previously did search the Web for it, and resorted to BeerAdvocate, where several people have said that they found the beer at their local Walgreens.

This review is actually of my second or third time buying this beer. But this is no ordinary review--the beer has an odd sourness to it, which I find unpleasant (and the main downfall of this beer), so I decided to try it after taking half of a Miracle Fruit tablet. Long story short, Miracle Fruit is the berry from the plant species Synsepalum dulcificum. The fruit contains a chemical that--when it coats the tongue--causes acidic (in other words: bitter and sour) foods and drinks to taste sweet. It's not a drug; it simply connects with the acidity-sensing taste buds on the tongue and causes them to send a different signals to the brain.

I tried Miracle Fruit before with a Guinness for the hell of it, and I'll be damned if that didn't take away every last bit of bitterness that the beer had! It almost tasted like a chocolate milkshake. So I figured, why not see if I can make this decent-but-sour cheap beer decent? It'd be interesting. So I did... and here are the results.

Appearance: Pours a very, very light (and unattractive) perfectly clear straw color with relatively few, extremely tiny carbonation bubbles. The liquid itself, when examined, is actually quite ugly. The beer produces a nice, fluffy, surprisingly-long-lasting head--far bigger than I would have expected, and its lacing lasts, sticking literally all over the glass. The head is long gone by the time the entire 12oz is drank (hell, even before half is gone at my rate of drinking), but unlike some macro lagers, it at least sticks around for a couple minutes. Although the liquid beer looks pretty pathetic, the nice head and heavy lacing score it a few points. The longevity of the head is surprising even compared to some of the biggest brand macro lagers.

Aroma: Don't expect much here; it has the smell of a typical cheap American macro lager. But still, it's actually not offensive and has a bit more of a smell to it than some of the "big" ones. I know I've smelled some beers that smell horrible; this is actually not one of them. But then, it's not one of those amazing smelling beers that makes your mouth water either. It smells like a beer at least, so it gets a point or two for that.

Taste: Now, the taste. Normally, this beer tastes... well, decent, if it wasn't for that unappealing, strange sourness that just reminds me, "this stuff could be so much better..." I took a few sips and the sourness was actually there, but it didn't seem quite as strong as I remembered; maybe it was just the batch, or the fact that I'm getting somewhat used to it, having bought a few six-packs so far. Either way, I popped half of a Miracle Fruit tablet in my mouth, swished it around, chewed it, and thoroughly coated my tongue with it. I took another few sips. No sourness, the beer is actually very decent! The very little bitterness the beer had (negligible) is gone, as is all of the sourness. This really is a miracle... a $3.33 six-pack is actually somewhat of a pleasure to drink after taking the Miracle Fruit tablet. Amazing. Note that with that sourness, I would probably rate the taste as just below average (2.5).

Mouthfeel: Well, what can I say? A somewhat substandard-feeling macro beer. Its low carbonation makes it feel a little weak on the tongue even compared to the big beers. But come on, look at the price... just over (and sometimes exactly, depending on the sale) 3 bucks.

With the sourness this beer has, I would give it an overall rating of 2.5, but after it's removed by the Miracle Fruit I would say it's average for a decent beer of the style.

For anyone interested in the Miracle Fruit... here are some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum - Wikipedia article
http://mberry.us/ - I got my Miracle Fruit tablets from here. They also sell plants, but they're expensive... (4,527 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -30.2%

Clear, with a hint of yellow. Lots of coarse bubbles that quickly dissipate. Sweet, slightly skunky smell.

Tastes like carbonated water. Slight corn flavor if you really search for it. A hint of hops.

As an experiment, I shook a can up to relieve as much carbonation as I could and poured it into a glass. It lost a lot of flavor. It tasted like very dilute American beer. I'd say that the majority of the flavor comes from the CO2, which gives it a slight metallic taste and acidic bite. No bitterness at all.

This is fine if you want to drink soda water. Probably cheaper too. At least it doesn't leave a bad aftertaste like most cheap beer. (646 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -17.7%

Pale lemon colored lager. Some visible bubbles. Two finger white head forms than recedes to a minimal froth. Very little lacing.

Smell of bread grains and corn. Some skunk.

Some malt flavor with a week-old, bread-like flavor. Rough corn flavor which tastes like sour grits. Underlying metallic character, I imagine that liquid silver tastes something like this. Finish is sour. Not enjoyable.

Lighter consistency but not watery. Descent carbonation. Gritty texture throughout. Its feels as if pieces of metal are sticking to the back of my tongue with each sip.

I would recommend avoiding this stuff. Try not to be temped by the $2.99 price for a six pack if you shop at Walgreens. Not the worst beer I have ever tried but there are plenty better beers if you are looking for something cheap. (796 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Back on the CANquest for it is summer,
poured a typical light straw gold but had and held an ok head for an AAL
smelled faintly of grain and green plant/vegetable, pretty typical here too
Taste was sweet light maltyness followed by a sweet corn flavor actually isnt bad for an AAL
has a bit more of a body than the light AAL
Overall for $3 a sixer I don't see an issue with what this is, rated to style which may be why this may look higher to people. Would I turn this down for say a bud light, not any chance. (512 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -0.4%

I was curious since the price of the 6-pack was $2.99!! i had to try it.

A pale white-gold color with a standard but decent high white head that actually had slow dissipation leaving a decent amount of stuff around.

A basic adjunct lager aroma with dry corn, wheat, light and sweet-bready malt but with an unpleasent perm-treatment chemmy smell.

The flavor is pretty clean as it states on the can: "It's the water that makes it"...and it's plenty watery feel and flavor but with all of the right aspects like crispy malt and musty yeastie backdrop. there is nothing "off' in the flavor so it's really not a bad taste for the price.

don't be affraid to drink this one straight from the can! (697 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +18.1%

I must say off the bat that this beer cost me $2.50 for a six pack.

Appearance - So, from the look of this beer, you would think it would hold up to other American lagers. Pours a clear, clear, clear golden body. Lots of bubbles. A nice 2 inch head that disappears way to fast. the lacing, on the other hand, is quite nice.

Smell - Smells pretty sweet actually. Much more sweet than I thought it would. I also get some grassy and earthy notes popping through.

Taste - I'll be honest. I'm not looking forward to this... It's still a bit sweet and the earthy tones definitely come through on the taste. Eh.

Mouthfeel - This beer is pretty carbonated, as is MOST of the American lagers on the shelves. It coats the palate pretty nicely.

Overall - I'm actually really surprised with this beer. The fact that it taste pretty good and costs sooo little just blows me away. I might actually buy this again, but only if I have a few bucks and want a substantial amount of beer. (975 characters)

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews