Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Brewed for Walgreens Drug Stores

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010)
2.93/5  rDev +16.3%

I was accompanying TheLibrarianGirl on a late-night trek to Walgreen's in search of some beloved, though soon-to-be discontinued facial moisturizer. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a six-pack of beer I did not recognize. Big Flats! And for the price of $3.49!

Appearance: Pours a clear, thinly-hued, light yellow body with an initially charged, white head that soon settles into a inner-glass encircling ring.

Smell: Nose of displaced, ultra-light malts, faint spicy hops, and grains ruefully dipped in chemical solvents.

Taste: Superficial maltiness, a hint of powdered sugar sweetness. Though the choicest hops were utilized, what's present is incredibly light, giving only a touch of spiciness and even less bitterness. Nearing the swallow, there's a little twitch of chemically harshness, like you're drinking a really, really watered down malt liquor. This very, very faint virulence lasts into the thin finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied, a bit watery, but, as the can says, "it's the water that makes it." Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: A light, lackluster lager, but, being so cheapo-beapo, I can't really hold that against it. Drink it quick, drink it cold, friends.

ChainGangGuy, Jan 05, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +24.2%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I loves me the cheapness. It pours a clear sallow topped by a fairly short-lived half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises corn, wheat, rice, flour, light flowers, and a touch of wispy sweetness. The taste doesn't deviate very far, though the corn is the demonstrably dominant grain now, and the sweetness has increased ever so slightly. The body is rather light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Oddly enough, overall, I expected a helluva lot worse. The fizziness was lower, the taste slightly more hardy, and it goes down less painfully than I initially figured. Still not that much of a beer here, but given the choice (especially at these prices), this thing destroys nearly any AAL I've ever had.

TMoney2591, Feb 02, 2011
2.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Had to try a sixer. At $2.99 it was worth a shot. It looks pretty nice for the style - clear golden yellow with a two-finger, white head of bubbly foam. It had very little aroma at all. Faint grains and caramel. Tasted of grains, sweet caramel and bread with a very light spice bitterness. Crisp, sharp and light bodied. A very sessionable brew. This actually wasn't half bad. It was worth trying.

zeff80, Dec 06, 2011
1.95/5  rDev -22.6%

This is the new Walgreen's beer that sells for $3.72 for a sixer of cans. This one pours a pale yellow fizzy golden hue with a bright white head leaving a sporadic chunky sight of lace. Aroma has big cereal notes with slightly harsh tones of cereal grain offness, a bit of metallic edge. Some cooked veggies slightly cereal sweetness. Flavor wise more unwelcoming harshness, I just don't understand why Walgreen's wants to offer this caliber of shit beer along with your prescriptions. Cheap yes, good no. Will it satisfy your shitty beer cravings, wait hold on you really crave shitty beer. Maybe this site isn't for you. I really haven't liked anything from this beer marketing company out of Novato, CA. Especially Moe's Taproom No. 21, Cegauama, and Hollande 1500 and something. This carbonation and mouthfeel doesn't reinforce any reason why you should be drinking this can, overall shitty beer contract brewed by the good folks at Genesee sorry if I want cheap beer I will grab a six of Genny pounders.

WVbeergeek, Jul 29, 2011
2.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Can courtesy of optimator13 for this gag extra. Served in a pilsener glass.

A - Two fingers of eggshell foam quickly sizzle to a partial ring and cluster of wispy bubbles. Transparent urine-colored body with lots of visible bubble streams racing upward. Looks like pretty much every other macro lager.

S - Mostly grain, some faint creamed corn, and a hint of grass. Pretty boring and inoffensive.

T - Taste is largely cereal grains, with a hint of buttery pils malt, nebulous fruity notes, and a fairly clean finish. A bit too sweet for my preference, but not awful.

M - Grainy, medium-light body. Higher carbonation, and a surprisingly pleasant dry, crisp finish. It's a bit watery, but it's actually kind of refreshing.

D - Pretty inoffensive adjunct lager, and for the price it's much preferable to many BMC offerings I have tried. I can't imagine myself ever purchasing this, but if it was between this and Bud Light at a friend's house I'd pick this one.

MasterSki, Apr 20, 2011
3.08/5  rDev +22.2%

The beer pours a pale straw color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a dry, pilsner malt scent along and little to no hop aroma. The taste is average as well. It has a light, pilsner malt and adjunct flavor. It has a touch of malt character, but nothing going in the hops department. It goes down quick with a bit of skunkiness in the finish. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty forgettable beer, although it's not much different from the rest in the market.

WesWes, Feb 07, 2011
2.51/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours light straw yellow - clear - with a creamy white head that leaves some trailing lace.

The smell is not much - clean - maybe a hint of grain - inoffensive. Clean.

The taste is of some sweet grain, a hint of soap and a light touch of corn husk.

It is crisp and light.

Overall, It's not a "terrible" cheap beer. And, it is cheap. Didn't care much for the mild hint of soap. But, if you drink it very cold and fast, you might not catch that.

jwc215, Dec 11, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -15.5%

Acquired at Walgreens at a cost of $2.99 per 6 pack. 12 fl oz aluminum can with uninteresting label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger white colour head of nice thickness, okay cream, and above average (~3 minute) reention. No lacing. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks pretty typical for the style.

Sm: Dirty malts, pale malts, caramalts, artificial sweetness, malt extract, and sugary sweetness. Way too sweet. I'm not excited to try this one. An average strength aroma. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

T: Overly sweet. Really malt-forward. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Cloying malty build is syrupy and sugary but not enjoyable. Clean. Weak; devoid of flavour. Borders on watery. Horribly imbalanced. Poorly built. Bland. Boring. Generic.

Mf: Pathetically thin. Overcarbonated. Smooth and wet. Very pedestrian. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well.

Dr: Downable swill, and probably a better bet than your run of the mill macro adjuncts. For my money, Simpler Times is a far better choice if you're after budget brews. People are being pretty harsh with their reviews on this, but it's not terrible. It's just bad.

Low D

kojevergas, May 12, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

oriolesfan4, Jul 04, 2014
2.85/5  rDev +13.1%

A recent gift in support of The CANQuest (TM)! Walgreen's has their own beer?!? I CAN dig it, CAN you? Many thanks to my CANtributor (who shall be unnamed unless he asks me to out him - ok, it's thagr81us) for his generous CANtribution to the madness. I keep thinking that with a good logo, I could get T-shirts made up for all of my fellow CANQuesters (TM), both active reviewers and frequent CANtributors, alike. Hmmm.

From the CAN: In addition to the unattached paddle wheel, it reads "Genuine Beer Brewed From Only the Choicest Hops" and "It's the water that makes it."

I wonder - if it is truly "genuine", does it come with a certificate of authenticity? I do not want some artificial or replica beer in my glass! Believe it or don't, we actually have standards here at JP24-7 Productions, LLC and I will not stand for crappy imitations of the real thing.

The Crack & Glug proceeded as normal with my centerline aggro pour producing two fingers' worth of foamy bone-white head. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an immediate blast of cabbage followed by corn and silage. The more that I drink these AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers, the more I shake my head in wonderment at what Prohibition has wrought. To think that for a whole long time, variants on this theme were all that were being made here in the U.S. = sad. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, about the standard for the style. Taste was on the bland side, giving credence to their claim about the water because it sure weren't those "choicest hops" that were "mak[ing] it." Finish was slightly dry, pretty bland, nothing major either way. It was not bad and I hear that it is fairly inexpensive at Walgreen's so I CANnot dun it too badly. Now, if CVS would just get THEIR own brand ...

woodychandler, Jan 09, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -0.8%

LXIXME, May 06, 2014
2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

tdm168, Jan 16, 2014

harpus, Mar 25, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: pale yellow with 1 finger white head

smell: lager yeast, corn, rice, malt

taste: water, lager yeast, corn

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin body,

overall: Had to get when I found out it's a Walgreens brand beer. Plus it's 2.99 for a 6 pack : )

Cheers,
The CPJ

THECPJ, Jul 13, 2011

This is a good lawn mower beer. It's nice to drink after a hot day. The beer is typical of most American adjunct lagers....golden clear, light head, biscuity scent and flavor. Mouthfeel is generally lighter with good carbonation. Overall it's fine....easy to drink....just don't expect anything amazing?

WoodBrew, Sep 07, 2014
3.08/5  rDev +22.2%

12 oz can poured into a pilsner glass. 3270 (Nov. 22, 2010 - if a Julian date) on the bottom, no info.

A - One of the better looking American Adjunct Lagers out there, in fact one of the better looking brews period. Sure it's crystal clear and pale straw yellow but the dense two-finger white head cakes the glass in beautiful, thick lace.

S - Grainy straw and a boat-load of sweet corn in the nose. While this isn't really offensive in the least, Big Flats doesn't offer much in the way of aroma...

T - Heavily grainy pale malt seems über cheap as does the corn adjunct flavor and husky straw finish but really, this might be one of the better tasting beers of it's style, which is how I'm judging it.

M - The lingering sweetness distracts a bit but this lager is smooth and soft with a heavily carbonated but not intrusive crisp, light finish.

D - I won't lie, I'm going to dump this beer. I have no interest in consuming it, but in reality, not only is it NOT offensive, it's also highly drinkable. It's a shade better than the BMCs out there and DEFINITELY good for the price. $3 for 6 cans? Sure, in a pinch this will work.

BeerFMAndy, Jan 03, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +21%

Thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains and corn. Taste is crisp, mild, corn and grains, not a lot going on. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall just another mediocre adjunct lager.

tone77, Jan 29, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought a six-pack of these at Walgreens so I could send a CAN to WoodyChandler for his CANquest. I CAN dig it! Saw the other 5 CANs lying around my parent’s house and promptly through one in the freezer so I could tear into it as soon as possible. The CAN tells me, “It’s the water that makes it.” We shall see about that… Served from CAN into a RJ Rockers shaker. Poured pale straw yellow with a half finger pure white fizzy sounding head that subsided to nothing fairly quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, grain, corn, wheat, and broken dreams. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, corn, wheat, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was not a very good brew. The aroma on this one was pretty sharp, but not in a good way. I smelled it upon cracking open the CAN and knew what I was getting myself into, but continued anyways. I should have listened to my nose. Imagine if you were to drink a Bud/Miller Lite (yeah, they don’t know how to brew good beer nor spell correctly) only it has more of a corn presence than the others. The flavor is a little bit better than the aroma, but I wouldn’t make this a go-to in a pinch brew. While this was retardedly cheap, I would rather get a job so I can at least afford some malt liquor if I were to get this desperate for a drink. Save your money on this one, all $3 of it for the 6-pack. Your palate will thank me…

thagr81us, Feb 05, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +24.2%

12 oz can pours a crystal clear, light yellow color with a decent sized white head. Retention is about average for the style and leaves a little collar around the edge.

Nose is pretty sweet, cooked corn and some caramel popcorn. Not horrible compared to other AALs, has some flaws, but is not nose-wrinkling bad.

Taste has more sweetness and a fuller body than most adjunct lagers. Definitely buttery with a dash of grain alcohol. Grainy malts are obviously supplemented with plenty of adjuncts. Not a horrible beer and I was actually a bit impressed with how it tastes considering the price tag. I bought a flat last week and am down to my last sixer, so there is definitely value to be had here. I would rather drink PBR for an adjunct lager, but not at nearly twice the price. Makes a good golf beer.

twiggamortis420, Feb 04, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -40.5%

barnzy78, Nov 22, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

ZEB89, Aug 01, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -1.6%

From the 355 ml. can no. 3140-10:48. Sampled on January 1, 2011. The pour is pale yellow with a ton of fizzy white head that eventually settles in. Aromas of grain and adjuncts. Thin body. The taste is also on the grainy side. As drinkable as any cheap macro. This is brewed under contract for Walgreens stores and these cans are all over the place for $2.99/six wherever a Walgreens can be found.

puboflyons, Jan 01, 2011

TheBeerAlmanac, Mar 14, 2013
2.68/5  rDev +6.3%

For $3 at Walgreens, I thought, why the f*ck not.

Standard macro look. Pale yellow, completely transparent. Bubbles, Bubbles everywhere! Finger of white head.

Smell is nothing much...sprinkling of veggie-esque corn and corny sweetness.

Wow. They claim choice hops, and I'm impressed that I can actually taste a hop or two!

Watery, slightly crisp. That's about it.

Easy to drink and it's cheap. That doesn't scream desirability though.

EgadBananas, Dec 21, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +23%

Walgreen's beer! For some reason, this strikes me as being funny.

It is what it is - cheap (really, really cheap) macro adjunct lager. But, for what it is, it really isn't all that bad. Pours the predictable light golden yellow. Nominal head. Thin body. Flavor is nondescript with a bit of adjunct grain popping up at the end. Finish is clean, teetering just a bit toward tart but not going that way.

At the right time and place, such as a hot day boating on the lake, a reasonable choice.

Brent, Dec 29, 2010