Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

pDev: 41%
World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Appearance: Light yellow, medium white head.
Aroma: Not much aroma.
Flavor: Not much flavor, thin highly carbonated. Light bodied, non-hoppy.
Overall: Very light, very plain domestic beer taste. This beer is exclusive to Walgreen's. I bought the 6 pack for $1.99. Not a terrible taste, but it left a slight chemical-like head ache.

2.57/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours light straw yellow - clear - with a creamy white head that leaves some trailing lace.

The smell is not much - clean - maybe a hint of grain - inoffensive. Clean.

The taste is of some sweet grain, a hint of soap and a light touch of corn husk.

It is crisp and light.

Overall, It's not a "terrible" cheap beer. And, it is cheap. Didn't care much for the mild hint of soap. But, if you drink it very cold and fast, you might not catch that.

2.4/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 oz. can stolen from a friend's fridge. Think he said he got it at Walgreen's but then I didn't think any Walgreen's in San Diego sold beer. Perhaps the times they are a changin'. Poured into a piint glass alongside a partially finished reference PBR glass. Big Flats pours a bit deeper, say a deep straw in color. A thin cap flitters away rather swiftly.

Aroma is full and a bit sweet with nondescript grainy sweet notes and lacking much of a yeast or hop profile. Offers a touch of citrus on the flavor which is otherwise a bit rough around the edges like the aroma. Tough of spice/citrus again though the utter lack of carbonation is not helping here.

Body leaves a bit to be desired as well, again largely due to the lack of carbonation. Interestingly this beer does in a way resemble Simpler Times from Trader Joe's and both find thier source in LaCrosse, WI. The Simpler Times(Lager) has a bit more finesse and carbonation however. In the end a bit rough.

2.6/5  rDev -0.4%

The smell is not good but if you drink it right out of the can this beer is better than bud miller and coors. For $3 a 6 pack I have no complaints it is a pretty good beer. If you are a broke college student give it a try it is much better than natty or keystone and it is about the same price. It is worth giving a shot if you like cheap beer.

3.36/5  rDev +28.7%

From a can poured into a glass mug.

A- Golden-orange color. A lot darker than I was expecting. Big head that fizzles away to a little ring. No lacing.

S- Mostly malts, sweet, grainy. No hop scent.

T- Tastes mostly of malts and some very overcooked veggies. Faint alcohol taste. Zero hops. Aftertaste is pure malts.

M- It was flat yet mysteriously carbonated on the tongue at the same time. Heavy, cloying.

O- Overall, this beer was OK, better than most. Very malt heavy. If it had some hops to balance it out, it would be a great beer.

2.28/5  rDev -12.6%

Wanted the can for my collection, so here goes:

One cannot expect much from a $3 Sixer, but I'm going to rate this in comparison with other American Adjuncts. Clearly this will not stand up with quality microbrews and the like.

A- Very pale and transparent yellow color. Seems to be quite a bit of carbonation. 2 finger head, doesn't pop as much as some and seems to be sticking around for the time being.

S- Kind of metallic on the nose. Smells kind of like an ice beer.

T- Kind of sour and metallic. Has little depth, but the primary flavor is kind of like a mix of non sweet apple juice and prune juice. Reminds me of a Miller lite.

M-Thin and bubbly.

O- This might taste better after a few, but that's more or less the best I can say for it. It's not the most offensive thing I've tasted, but I wouldn't opt for this unless I was very hard up.

2.84/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

this is a pretty drinkable cheap beer, esp for the summer time. much better than malt liquor and as good as other big brewery options (coors light, miller lite) for 1/2 the price. also, shandy mixer anyone?

a - clear, golden. expect this to come out about the same color, hue

s - not much here. take what you get.

t - corn mash, sweet finish. really not bad for a cheap-o beer. clean finish

m - not really anything special going on here. carbed like a comparable big box beer. goes down like sparkling water :^)

they waved hops over this stuff and called it beer. not bad tho for the price. try it.

3.18/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wife found this while out shopping for the 4th. I think she said $3.49 for the sixer!

Pours a clear gold with a nice 2 finger head that dropped in time. the remaining ring left a receding bit of lace.

Mild grainy lager smell is what I got here

Taste is clean, mildly sweet with a bit of a bite on the finish. Thin mouthfeel with pretty strong carbonation.

Nothing complex, just a basic, easy drinking session beer. I also call beers like this "Lawnmower beers"

If it stays local, I'd gladly drink this on these hot summer days. Not bad.

2.15/5  rDev -17.6%

Acquired at Walgreens at a cost of $2.99 per 6 pack. 12 fl oz aluminum can with uninteresting label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger white colour head of nice thickness, okay cream, and above average (~3 minute) reention. No lacing. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks pretty typical for the style.

Sm: Dirty malts, pale malts, caramalts, artificial sweetness, malt extract, and sugary sweetness. Way too sweet. I'm not excited to try this one. An average strength aroma. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

T: Overly sweet. Really malt-forward. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Cloying malty build is syrupy and sugary but not enjoyable. Clean. Weak; devoid of flavour. Borders on watery. Horribly imbalanced. Poorly built. Bland. Boring. Generic.

Mf: Pathetically thin. Overcarbonated. Smooth and wet. Very pedestrian. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well.

Dr: Downable swill, and probably a better bet than your run of the mill macro adjuncts. For my money, Simpler Times is a far better choice if you're after budget brews. People are being pretty harsh with their reviews on this, but it's not terrible. It's just bad.

Low D

1.99/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Ahhh Big Flats...

Pale yellow, one finger white large bubble head.

Very slight standard lager smell, really have to sniff to get at it.

Like impoverished college beer, light sour hop, bready finish.

Sharply carbonated, cleanses the pallet.

If you are buying this beer, it is either out of morbid curiosity... or you aren't looking to be tasting for subtle hints of flavor.

I went to wal-greens the other day to buy some cold medicine and saw some great looking beer in a special looking can, with a very nice price. I never buy cheap beer; it’s like going to McDonald’s and expecting hot food, wishful thinking. Well I walked into the house with this untested brew. My wife said why did you buy that beer it’s cheap and you know you’re not going to drink that, I poured me a tall glass full of the Premium Beer BIG FLATS 1901. It was very tasty, a beer fit for a king. I suddenly found my maker it was BIG FLATS the Beer fit for me, man it was good.

1.57/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Interestingly enough, the worst beer I've ever had was/is contract-brewed exclusively for 7-11 as a store brand (Game Day Ice.) Here is another contract-brewed beer made exclusively for Walgreens as a store brand, and it's just as horrendous. I'm noticing a pattern.

I recommend drinking this from the can, however, I did pour two cans (not all at once) into a 23 ounce pilsner glass to review.

A: Big Flats 1901 is much darker than I had anticipated. Golden. There is a two finger head with tight carbonation. After several minutes there is a ring that lasts the entire glass. No lacing without chugging.

S: Very sweet. Fruity. I smell bananas that have been sitting on the counter for two weeks and are black on the outside. I can smell lager beer if I try really hard. Closer to cheap wine than beer. I'm having bad flashbacks of Game Day Ice.

T: Horribly sweet. Sugary sweet. The sweetness is the first thing I taste and it lasts well after I swallow. There is some bitterness. Some stale malt like Cheerios soaked in water.

M: Carbonation is medium. It's more substantial than I expected. Easily the best part of the beer.

O: It's rare that I find a beer that I would never buy again, but here you go. This is now the second worst beer I've ever had just behind 7-11's Game Day Ice. The saddest part is that at 4.5% ABV there isn't even enough alcohol to get you drunk enough to not care how bad Big Flats 1901 tastes! Hell, that's a basic rule that developed the ice beer market.

1.36/5  rDev -47.9%

Appearance - average to good , head drops fast

Smell - mild sweet

Taste- corn, veggie, mild after taste a little sour not smooth

Mouthfeel- mostly after taste is gross

Overall - disappointing, watery bland with weird astringistey.

6 pack @ walgreens are 2.99 ---forget it. Natural light is much better
The brewer should be embarrassed for this contract brew.

2.64/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Clear vivid yellow with a decent little head (for the style at least). Darker yellow than most adjunct lagers.

S - Fruity esters and musty grain husk. Smells cheap.

T - Overripe fruit, and not in a good way. Tastes like rotten apples and bananas that have been left to ferment. Actually not too bad.... it's growing on me.

M - LIght and crisp. Thirst quenching.

Honestly, the rotten fruit aspect isn't really good, but at least it is pretty flavorful compared to some macros that taste like carbonated water. Not bad for the bottom of the barrel price.

2.76/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Light yellow but somehow a decent hue. Small white head settles down quickly to a steady skim. Lots of bubbles rising relaxedly from all over. Very crystal clear. Usual macro lager look with above average lacing.

S: Cereal grain, soft malty sweetness. No real hops noticed. Reasonably okay, but way too faint.

T: Mix of grainy base & a light bit of malt sweetness. Decently balancing hop bitterness. Just a hint of medicinal character. Adjunctness kept to a minimum. Quite simple in that there are just a few main notes and no nuance or accent notes. Quite fair for depth though. Stays decent as it warms.

M: Medium-light body, plentiful but soft, cushiony, & mouthfilling carbonation. Very neutral & wet finish.

D: Basic beer. Not great. Not bad. Crazy low price point. Compares very well to big name swill. Skip the stoopid ads and just make beer.

2.27/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The Big Flats Experience: The story begins with utter astonishment at the price for a 6-pack seen at a Walgreens display- $2.99!! Never in my beer buying history of 36 years have I seen as low of a price! (back in 1976 I recall paying around $3.25 for Piels ,Schmidts, Iron City, Kochs and Genesee and even the generic Beer in the yellow cans )
I bought it just to see how it would rank in my tasting history and it was an inexpensive experiment. It was contract brewed in Rochester NY at Brewmasters Choice. The cans graphic design is a rather historic primitive design nicely rendered using some of the cans reflective surface to show gold highlights. The Label features the words "Premium Beer" (I thought the word premium usually connotes the idea of more expensive and better than most) I had to find out.
I chilled it to 38f and served it up in a chilled pilsner glass on a hot July night (86f).

Aroma: Lightly malty like the smell of an NA beer (and slightly reminiscent of the smell of a boat that has had it's generous share of party weekends) It was not enticing.

Appearance: A nice clear average golden color, it poured with an inch and a half of fine head, with settled out in 2 minutes.

Taste: The first taste was true to the nose, Very lightly malty, a note of sweetness and bitterness,the 2nd taste got swished around a bit to see if anything else special would be sensed, but ho hum. the 3rd taste was a chug- it felt good at the back of my throat with it's moderate carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Light, low viscosity, medium bubbles.

Overall: I was pleased to find that the least expensive beer available to me, was not the least tasty- there are many other similiar styled beers out there that taste worse and cost more!
Sometimes much more. This is a great beer to sponsor a blind taste testing with some of your cheaper buddies to see if they are merely brain washed by over-exposure to mass marketing, as well to have on hand when they show up for the game empty handed and want to drink yours.

2.38/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The walgreens beer.

Pours a clear yellow like most beers of the style. Has a bit more color than many of its like. Decent soda like white fizzy head that falls fast. Smells like cereal, corn, and rice. Has a slight sweetness to the nose. Tastes like it smells. Very bland corn, cereal, and rice, with a sweetness to it. Very thin body.

This is much better than any bud light or miller light, and is half the price. One of my cheap choices. Comparable to budweiser or Pabst but nothing special. Best part of this beer is the price.

3.22/5  rDev +23.4%

Approx. $3.00 for a six-pack at Walgreens, ice cold from Walgreens' high-tech beverage rack.

Looks good, looks like it might be kind of tasty and might give me a good buzz.

Smells OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee.

Tastes OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee, with a slighly sour aftertaste.

Medium-low carbonation.

Overall, really OK, especially given the mind-blowing low price. Don't let the budget pricetag fool you -- Big Flats 1901 is a decent adjunct lager.

2.62/5  rDev +0.4%

Okay, yeah, I got this at Walgreens because it is cheap and I'm trying to pay off my credit card bills for the springtime so I can run them up again in the summer. So I'm drinking Big Flats. Ain't life grand?

Seriously pale yellow pee color. Big white 'blink and you'll miss it' head. Sweet, mellow corn malt nose. Taste is what you think it is; bland, blah, and belch.

For what it is, it is fine. None of the Coors Light face melting tastelessness, the High Life sawdust in the mouth the next morning, or Colt .45 touch of throwup in the mouth with every sip. Just bland, yellow, cheap, and a slight tiring buzz. Looking forward to mowing some lawns with this in the summer.

2.38/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought a six-pack of these at Walgreens so I could send a CAN to WoodyChandler for his CANquest. I CAN dig it! Saw the other 5 CANs lying around my parent’s house and promptly through one in the freezer so I could tear into it as soon as possible. The CAN tells me, “It’s the water that makes it.” We shall see about that… Served from CAN into a RJ Rockers shaker. Poured pale straw yellow with a half finger pure white fizzy sounding head that subsided to nothing fairly quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, grain, corn, wheat, and broken dreams. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, corn, wheat, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was not a very good brew. The aroma on this one was pretty sharp, but not in a good way. I smelled it upon cracking open the CAN and knew what I was getting myself into, but continued anyways. I should have listened to my nose. Imagine if you were to drink a Bud/Miller Lite (yeah, they don’t know how to brew good beer nor spell correctly) only it has more of a corn presence than the others. The flavor is a little bit better than the aroma, but I wouldn’t make this a go-to in a pinch brew. While this was retardedly cheap, I would rather get a job so I can at least afford some malt liquor if I were to get this desperate for a drink. Save your money on this one, all $3 of it for the 6-pack. Your palate will thank me…

2.87/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: This beer pours a light yellow color with a clean white head. Head retention is limited which is not uncommon for the style.

Smell: A clean fresh smell which is surprising given the price..

Taste: A little sweet with just a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: A little watery but considering the price and the style it is OK.

Overall: A good solid beer for a college student or anyone in short of funds.

All in all I was impressed. I think it is funny the number of reviews that place the blame for buying this beer on some relative or friend who “knows nothing about beer”. I bought this knowing that I was buying a adjunct American lager.

2.77/5  rDev +6.1%

I had to go down to FL to enjoy this gem. Mom surprised me with a sixer of this Walgreen's special. $3.00 for a sixer?! I'm down! This is one of the many reasons why I get frustrated with the great state of Pennsylvania. Poured from a can (I think it's only available in a can; it's THAT freakin' classy) in to a standard pint glass. I'll describe the color using the knowledge I acquired while attending a highly acclaimed art university. It was yellow. Smell can be described as beer. No need for fancy adjectives here. The taste...not that bad! Seriously, I thought this was going to be the worst beer in the world (this honor goes to Natural Light). It actually tastes pretty good for the style. I'd choose a PBR, High Life or Lionshead over the Big Flats but it can't be beat for the price. This would have been the beer of choice during my college years, which weren't that long ago. Easy to chug if you're playing beer pong and not offensive at all. Must be served and consumed ice cold.

My grandmother, who knows nothing about beer or what I would think makes a good beer, was nice enough to buy a can for me out of the blue. She just gave this to me one day and told me she picked it up for me because she knows I like beer and like trying all different types and kinds of beers. I certainly appreciate the thought, thanks grandma! Poured into my mug, this beer is a clear, fairly light to medium golden color. The fluffy white head was a good inch thick when poured, eventually settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass after a few sips with bits of film cover on the surface of the beer here and there. Lots of bubbles rising up to the top of the mug. Had a grainy aroma, typical for this style. Not an offensive aroma, just kind of meh. Has a grainy flavor with some caramel sweetness and a bread like quality as well. No bitter metallic shit taste here like I have experienced with some beers of this style, and certainly more flavor overall than a lot of beers I have had of this style. Maybe just a tiny hint of hop bitterness at on the very back end. Or maybe not. I could see this being most enjoyable to drink outside in July when it is 90 degrees out and you pull one of these out of the cooler. Not a bad beer, one of the more enjoyable ones I have had of this style. Has a crisp, light bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Not too bad here, but nothing I'd go out of my way to drink again.

2.43/5  rDev -6.9%

Picked up at a Walgreens for $3/6-pack. Worthy a try? Probably not but whatever. I poured from the can into a pint glass, it's a clear pale yellow but with a pretty big head. It receded quickly with not much lacing.

The aroma is weak, grassy and not much to it. Nothing terrible, just nothing.

The taste is pretty weak as well but surprisingly refreshing.

Honestly I think it's better than the BMC guys. Will have to try side by side at some point.

2.79/5  rDev +6.9%

Had to try a sixer. At $2.99 it was worth a shot. It looks pretty nice for the style - clear golden yellow with a two-finger, white head of bubbly foam. It had very little aroma at all. Faint grains and caramel. Tasted of grains, sweet caramel and bread with a very light spice bitterness. Crisp, sharp and light bodied. A very sessionable brew. This actually wasn't half bad. It was worth trying.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews