Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

poor

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.
2.35/5  rDev -11.3%

For what it is, a cheap AAL, this is as decent a beer as any. $2.99 a six pack...what does one expect? Golf course, beach, yard-work beer. Most of the time I'd prefer a $9.00 six pack of good beer to 3/4 of a case of this stuff, but most of the time isn't all of the time. (272 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours into a pee colored light yellow with a 1" head that has no retention or lacing. It has very high carbonation. it hardly has any smell at all, maybe a little bit of an yeast and corn smell. The taste is very watery with rotting corn, and other vegetables. The taste makes me feel sick drinking it. it also tastes like some musty mildew or some old hay was in the brew when it was being made. The mouthfeel is very watery with a little bit of chalkiness, and because it is light bodied and watered down like most beers of this popular American style makes it very drinkable. It is the ideal beer for someone who is low on money and wants something cheap to get drunk off of and at $2.99 a 6/pack at Walgreen's you can't beat a deal like that. (746 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can into pint pint glass

A: Lots of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass and good levels of carbonation. Body has a very clear yellow character. White head sinks very quickly.

S: The aroma has a very high level of rice and other adjuncts. No real hop or malty tone. Light aroma for style.

T/M: The first sip shows a grassy, corn element. The low level of hop character is not balanced with the other low level of other tastes. Mouthfeel is standard and crisp for the style.

O: This a bit of a lack luster brew, to the style it does not set a very good example. (575 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -14%

Wanted the can for my collection, so here goes:

One cannot expect much from a $3 Sixer, but I'm going to rate this in comparison with other American Adjuncts. Clearly this will not stand up with quality microbrews and the like.

A- Very pale and transparent yellow color. Seems to be quite a bit of carbonation. 2 finger head, doesn't pop as much as some and seems to be sticking around for the time being.

S- Kind of metallic on the nose. Smells kind of like an ice beer.

T- Kind of sour and metallic. Has little depth, but the primary flavor is kind of like a mix of non sweet apple juice and prune juice. Reminds me of a Miller lite.

M-Thin and bubbly.

O- This might taste better after a few, but that's more or less the best I can say for it. It's not the most offensive thing I've tasted, but I wouldn't opt for this unless I was very hard up. (857 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The Big Flats Experience: The story begins with utter astonishment at the price for a 6-pack seen at a Walgreens display- $2.99!! Never in my beer buying history of 36 years have I seen as low of a price! (back in 1976 I recall paying around $3.25 for Piels ,Schmidts, Iron City, Kochs and Genesee and even the generic Beer in the yellow cans )
I bought it just to see how it would rank in my tasting history and it was an inexpensive experiment. It was contract brewed in Rochester NY at Brewmasters Choice. The cans graphic design is a rather historic primitive design nicely rendered using some of the cans reflective surface to show gold highlights. The Label features the words "Premium Beer" (I thought the word premium usually connotes the idea of more expensive and better than most) I had to find out.
I chilled it to 38f and served it up in a chilled pilsner glass on a hot July night (86f).

Aroma: Lightly malty like the smell of an NA beer (and slightly reminiscent of the smell of a boat that has had it's generous share of party weekends) It was not enticing.

Appearance: A nice clear average golden color, it poured with an inch and a half of fine head, with settled out in 2 minutes.

Taste: The first taste was true to the nose, Very lightly malty, a note of sweetness and bitterness,the 2nd taste got swished around a bit to see if anything else special would be sensed, but ho hum. the 3rd taste was a chug- it felt good at the back of my throat with it's moderate carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Light, low viscosity, medium bubbles.

Overall: I was pleased to find that the least expensive beer available to me, was not the least tasty- there are many other similiar styled beers out there that taste worse and cost more!
Sometimes much more. This is a great beer to sponsor a blind taste testing with some of your cheaper buddies to see if they are merely brain washed by over-exposure to mass marketing, as well to have on hand when they show up for the game empty handed and want to drink yours. (2,021 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Defiantly not the worst thing I have drank. This might not be something I would sit down to enjoy or serve with any sort of meal. However, I could see this being a perfect cheap beer to bring fishing or camping. (211 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -14.7%

Saw a massive 8ftL x 8ftW x 5ftH display of this at Walgreens in Goose Creek, SC. I first thought it was soda or canned water, because of the name, then I saw it was actually a beer. I then noticed the $3 price tag for a 6er of it, so I just had to try it. Am I sorry that I did? Not at all. Will I buy it again? Possibly, for a fishing trip or for beer moochers that come over. This is easily the palest straw color I've seen on a beer, almost like water. Smell was skunky, alcoholy, and corn chips. Taste was more corn chippy and had a very faint taste of hops. In all actuality though, the taste faded away so fast, you couldn't really dwell and think about it. Overall, not a beer to go out of your way to get, but it might be good to pawn off on others. (758 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%

There's barely any flavor, but what little there is...well, it's not all bad. If the object of the game is simply getting drunk on the cheap (or buzz-maintenance after drinking much better beers), then here you go. (214 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pale, clear, piss-yellow with a big head, this dirt-cheap canned lager is malty and sweet upon initial tasting.

Sweet corn flavor, with a hint of hops at the finish. Nothing remarkable or unique here, but for the price ($2.99 a 6-pack at Walgreen's), this one's a decent bargain for a party or to share with friends.

Incidentally, all of my less-than-picky non-craft drinking friends enjoyed this! (401 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -15.8%

12oz canned Nov 9, 2010.

Pours clear pale yellow with hints of neon green with a one finger white head that quickly fades to a wispy cap.

Aroma is full of that typical adjunct lager corn deliciousness with an added touch of sulfur. Weak to moderate strength...a good thing in this case.

Flavor is sweet corn, grains, sugar, sweetness, graininess, sweet, grainy and sweet.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, prickly carbonation.

Not HORRIBLE for the style and price point (I'd take this over Beast Ice), but I'd still rather pony up the extra pocket change for some PBR if I ever needed to drink on the cheap. The beer was gifted to me so I'm reviewing for shits 'n' giggles (read: tick) and will use it to wash down some greasy Long John Silvers... (750 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -17.4%

Can courtesy of BeerFMAndy. This is how he repays me for sharing sours all the time? Thanks friend. Poured into a tulip.

A: Crystal clear pale yellow. Three fingers of white head fill the top half of my glass then fade away rather quick. Just a tiny smattering a soapy lace remains.

S: Sweet grains, grassy, sour malt. Smells like a weak malt liquor.

T: The flavors are fairly mild but nowhere near good. Faint hops, mildly tart malt, grass clippings, cooked vegetables. Pretty standard for the style.

M: Light body with biting carbonation.

O: It's an AAL. Just as shitty as the rest of em. (598 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours about as close to clear as beer gets, just a faint straw color with fizzy white head and some lively, fizzy carbonation. Aroma of adjunct malt, with some oddly fruity sweet notes. Palate is light, which is merciful, since the main flavors are off adjunct malt and puzzling fruity notes. Body is light and fizzy, which is at least refreshing. Pretty terrible, but it goes down fairly easy, if that's what you're looking for. (429 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -17.7%

Pale lemon colored lager. Some visible bubbles. Two finger white head forms than recedes to a minimal froth. Very little lacing.

Smell of bread grains and corn. Some skunk.

Some malt flavor with a week-old, bread-like flavor. Rough corn flavor which tastes like sour grits. Underlying metallic character, I imagine that liquid silver tastes something like this. Finish is sour. Not enjoyable.

Lighter consistency but not watery. Descent carbonation. Gritty texture throughout. Its feels as if pieces of metal are sticking to the back of my tongue with each sip.

I would recommend avoiding this stuff. Try not to be temped by the $2.99 price for a six pack if you shop at Walgreens. Not the worst beer I have ever tried but there are plenty better beers if you are looking for something cheap. (796 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from 12 oz. can into pint glass.

A: Pale golden in color. Strong pour creates thick head that is gone in a moment to barely a trace of head.

S: Adjunct smell. Corn, grains, light malt.

T: I don't know, kinda what you'd expect, tastes like beer that I sipped from my dad when I was young. The one noticable bad taste was metallic, tasted like blood.

M: Light, water-like.

O: I had the same reaction as others when I saw it. "Walgreens generic brand beer? For $2.99? I gotta try it." It's just that, a novelty.

Took this on recent camping weekend where selection was PBR, High Life and Schlitz. All were superior to this, and seriously they are all only pennies more in price. Not worth it. (702 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Paper thin head. Clear golden body. Almost no smell, sort of like a Miller High Life sniffed from a distance. No bitterness, no real flavor, but you might detect the slightest hint of orange. Lightly carbonated with a fizzy mouthfeel. Goes down extremely easily. I could drink this all night, but would pass it up given almost any AAL alternative. (347 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz my friend richard picked up at walgreens, from can to mouth. smells of straw and corn, some sweet malt.. malt liquorish in scent

taste is of corn, dry alc presence, hop presence is old/skunky, reminds me of natural ice or malt liquor. the review calling out watermelon rind made me chuckle but the more i drank the more i could see where they were coming from.. probably wouldn't buy again as genny is now available widely in our market now for around $1 a 24oz can and tastes better. (490 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -18.9%

Acquired at Walgreens at a cost of $2.99 per 6 pack. 12 fl oz aluminum can with uninteresting label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger white colour head of nice thickness, okay cream, and above average (~3 minute) reention. No lacing. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks pretty typical for the style.

Sm: Dirty malts, pale malts, caramalts, artificial sweetness, malt extract, and sugary sweetness. Way too sweet. I'm not excited to try this one. An average strength aroma. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

T: Overly sweet. Really malt-forward. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Cloying malty build is syrupy and sugary but not enjoyable. Clean. Weak; devoid of flavour. Borders on watery. Horribly imbalanced. Poorly built. Bland. Boring. Generic.

Mf: Pathetically thin. Overcarbonated. Smooth and wet. Very pedestrian. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well.

Dr: Downable swill, and probably a better bet than your run of the mill macro adjuncts. For my money, Simpler Times is a far better choice if you're after budget brews. People are being pretty harsh with their reviews on this, but it's not terrible. It's just bad.

Low D (1,469 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pale yellow, very little head with no lacing.

S: Corn, weak, typical smell of standard BMC beers.

T: Eh, honestly, it wasn't terrible for a beer of this nature. But then again, I can't say I could discern it from others.

M: Watery, overly carbonated.

D: I would if I had to.

A six pack at $3 is not the worst money ever spent... (336 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -19.6%

Cheap, dirty, malty... beats Keystone!
___

A: yellow tinted water with a 1.5 finger foamy head that was gone in three minutes

S: a bit of dry pils malt, a tiny hint of spicy hops, and a nice helping of adjunct funk

T: biscuit malt, a small but noticeable drying hop, and a nice helping of adjunct funk

M: a bit grainy, but actually not too thin

D: chug, chug, chug (369 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -23%

Appearance - pour a flat yellow/straw color. Impressive snowy head of two fingers strong. Holds up pretty nicely and has a decent creamy look to it as it fades back.

Aroma - husky grain, standard macro sniff.

Taste - grain, slightly sweet, not much depth. The swallow and finish fizzle, no development to be had. From the land of hops, where's the love? Somewhat Miller-ish, which could mean there should be no delays in the effort to dispatch of the brew before it hit 50 degrees or higher. Grainy finish, a bit watery but for the style holds together okay. Vegetal notes start creeping in, drink 'em up! *Edit - to be fair, I am bumping the score after the beer has warmed a bit. It holds up better than expected, which is to say, it doesn't get gross or make me hurl in my mouth a bit. Up to 'not impressed' woo hoo! Actually, I'd go as high as 2.25 if they allowed quarter-points.

Mouthfeel - crisp but feels a little undercarbonated just the same. Definitely doesn't have the body it needs.

Drinkability - value purchase at Walgreen's. Keep the Benjamins at bay and toss a few Washingtons in the mix. $3.33 a sixer. I got every penny's worth...unfortunately more pennies are needed, and I may have overpaid. Not to be overly harsh, I would ice 'er down and knock a few back after the yard work or cutting up some wood. But as a social lubricant, this beer will not be the positive subject of any discussion. (1,416 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -23.4%

This is the new Walgreen's beer that sells for $3.72 for a sixer of cans. This one pours a pale yellow fizzy golden hue with a bright white head leaving a sporadic chunky sight of lace. Aroma has big cereal notes with slightly harsh tones of cereal grain offness, a bit of metallic edge. Some cooked veggies slightly cereal sweetness. Flavor wise more unwelcoming harshness, I just don't understand why Walgreen's wants to offer this caliber of shit beer along with your prescriptions. Cheap yes, good no. Will it satisfy your shitty beer cravings, wait hold on you really crave shitty beer. Maybe this site isn't for you. I really haven't liked anything from this beer marketing company out of Novato, CA. Especially Moe's Taproom No. 21, Cegauama, and Hollande 1500 and something. This carbonation and mouthfeel doesn't reinforce any reason why you should be drinking this can, overall shitty beer contract brewed by the good folks at Genesee sorry if I want cheap beer I will grab a six of Genny pounders. (1,008 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Meh. Watery and bland. Can't really say that it tastes bad since it largely has no taste at all other than a corn adjunct aftertaste. Not highly carbonated, so I imagine this would be a good choice for some frat party's beer bong: cheap, tasteless, and with only average/medium light carbonation. (296 characters)

Well at least its ultra cheap.

This pours a light straw color with a white foamy head, this is one of the lightest beers I've ever seen. The smell is of malted corn and other sweet malts. The mouth feel is light with some medium carbonation. The taste is pretty somewhat watery with some corn adjuncts and other sweet malts, it end with a minuscule bitterness. Okay this beer is far from being good and I had a pabst after which was way better, but at $3 for a 6 pack its one of the cheapest beers I've ever seen and its drinkable (and better than the keystone i also had). I could get a 12 pack of this for about the same price I pay for a pint. This isn't good but its a great deal (if you're wanting a cheap drunk which I normally don't). (743 characters)

Appearance: Light yellow, medium white head.
Aroma: Not much aroma.
Flavor: Not much flavor, thin highly carbonated. Light bodied, non-hoppy.
Overall: Very light, very plain domestic beer taste. This beer is exclusive to Walgreen's. I bought the 6 pack for $1.99. Not a terrible taste, but it left a slight chemical-like head ache. (331 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Ahhh Big Flats...

Appearance-
Pale yellow, one finger white large bubble head.

Smell-
Very slight standard lager smell, really have to sniff to get at it.

Taste-
Like impoverished college beer, light sour hop, bready finish.

Mouthfeel-
Sharply carbonated, cleanses the pallet.

Overall-
If you are buying this beer, it is either out of morbid curiosity... or you aren't looking to be tasting for subtle hints of flavor. (423 characters)

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews