Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

Brewed for Walgreens Drug Stores
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 278 | Reviews: 139
3.31/5  rDev +30.3%

Like many others, I picked this up at Walgreens at $3.49 for a six-pack. I was going to pick up a few beers and didn't really feel like going anywhere else, so why not, I thought to myself. I wasn't expecting much at all, and since my normal beer drinking is done toward the low end (think Pabst, Schlitz, Schaefer, etc.), I couldn't see myself being too disappointed. I wasn't.

Big Flats 1901 is what I would call a very drinkable beer, a good yard work beer that works equally well washing down spicy Indian food or a greasy pizza (two pairings I've sampled at this point). Despite what some here have to say about it (beer snobs unite at this point, it's ok, I've been referred to as such due to my disdain for Bud Select), it really isn't bad.

Color is the usual macro very light straw yellow. There isn't much aroma other than from corn and the can. It pours a decent two-finger head and leaves a nice lacing as you drink it down (for my samplings I used a New Belgium globe glass). As for taste, I'm just going to say that it tastes good (grainy malt, slightly sweet with just enough hops to notice) and that it goes down smooth with little to no aftertaste. It's watery, but that's not a bad thing in this case (not every beer needs to be an oatmeal stout).

Really, for the price, it's not bad. I'd rather drink this at $3.50 for a six pack than any of the big macro-brewery's mainstream options at a couple of dollars more. It's exceptionally drinkable, and good enough that I've bought four more six packs since my initial purchase. It does the job, and frankly, I do prefer it to Pabst.

3.25/5  rDev +28%

3.22/5  rDev +26.8%

Approx. $3.00 for a six-pack at Walgreens, ice cold from Walgreens' high-tech beverage rack.

Looks good, looks like it might be kind of tasty and might give me a good buzz.

Smells OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee.

Tastes OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee, with a slighly sour aftertaste.

Medium-low carbonation.

Overall, really OK, especially given the mind-blowing low price. Don't let the budget pricetag fool you -- Big Flats 1901 is a decent adjunct lager.

3.21/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Back on the CANquest for it is summer,
poured a typical light straw gold but had and held an ok head for an AAL
smelled faintly of grain and green plant/vegetable, pretty typical here too
Taste was sweet light maltyness followed by a sweet corn flavor actually isnt bad for an AAL
has a bit more of a body than the light AAL
Overall for $3 a sixer I don't see an issue with what this is, rated to style which may be why this may look higher to people. Would I turn this down for say a bud light, not any chance.

3.2/5  rDev +26%

A: Light straw color with two fingers of white head. Pours a clear, thinly-hued, light straw body. A 2 to 3 finger puffy and bubbly white head initially sits on top of the beer but reduces to just a small ring around the glass.

S: Standard grain and corn is about it. Faint (understatement) spicy and earthy hops.

T: Very light and mild taste. Not a whole heck of a lot to it. Grains, corn, and spicy hops sum up the flavor very well in my opinion. Very watery/dry finish to this beer with a hint of bitterness.

M: Low bodied with medium carbonation. It's crisp and refreshing.

D: I didn't have a problem putting one down within a minute or too. The lack of a taste makes it really easy to drink. I'd challenge someone who doesn't like beer to drink one of these because I don't think they'd be able to say it's disgusting. I could see stashing a few of these away in the fridge for a warm summer day.

One thumb up. It's not a bad beer by any means. It's not something you'd seek out, but if you were at Walgreens or in the general area, why not pick it up? You won't be disappointed. I'd drink this over Bud, Miller, or Coors.

3.2/5  rDev +26%

*Can says, "brewed by brewmaster's choice, Rochester, NY"

A - picket fence white airy head. Some scattered lacing. Clear pale lemonaid yellow.

S - hayseeds. Corn husks. Smells vaguely of cut grass. Not sweet. Not hoppy. Not sour. But also not skunky. It has a non imposing noncommittal nose.

T - artificial sweeteners and corn syrup. Nothing to speak of in terms of hops, unusual for a California beer but not for one in this price range. Aftertaste just kinda sits there like the last guy to leave the party or a hobo on a bench. He doesn't bother anyone but isn't doing anything.

M - smooth easy enough going down. A good enough experience.

D - well most of what you can say about this beer is mediocre but you can't deny the price point. Less than $4 for six. For that price mediocre is doing quite well. Milwaukee and Coors could learn a few things from these guys. Cheap and not disgusting is possible.

3.19/5  rDev +25.6%

Pale, clear, piss-yellow with a big head, this dirt-cheap canned lager is malty and sweet upon initial tasting.

Sweet corn flavor, with a hint of hops at the finish. Nothing remarkable or unique here, but for the price ($2.99 a 6-pack at Walgreen's), this one's a decent bargain for a party or to share with friends.

Incidentally, all of my less-than-picky non-craft drinking friends enjoyed this!

3.18/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wife found this while out shopping for the 4th. I think she said $3.49 for the sixer!

Pours a clear gold with a nice 2 finger head that dropped in time. the remaining ring left a receding bit of lace.

Mild grainy lager smell is what I got here

Taste is clean, mildly sweet with a bit of a bite on the finish. Thin mouthfeel with pretty strong carbonation.

Nothing complex, just a basic, easy drinking session beer. I also call beers like this "Lawnmower beers"

If it stays local, I'd gladly drink this on these hot summer days. Not bad.

3.18/5  rDev +25.2%

I thought this beer was excellent for it's price.
I went into the Wallgreens that was built in my town recently for the first time. Apparently this beer is exclusively sold at Wallgreens for 2.99 a 6 pack, and I was expecting garbage, but I had never seen this beer before, so I decided to give it a try.
This beer exceeded my expectations, which mind you, were very low, so I am giving it a good score.
It's pretty light, but to me, it kind of tastes like a Budweiser knock off. It has the smell of Milwaukee's Best, not very great, but you get more than you pay for.

It's a typical American adjunct lager for an unbeatable price. Pick one up if you're looking to down a six pack at the river or something. It goes down pretty smooth when it's cold.

3.15/5  rDev +24%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bought a six pack of this from walgreens to try becuase hey, its $2.99.

A- golden yellow with 2 fingers of white foamy head, looks like any other macro lager, meh..
S- Very faint grainy scent as well as a corn like smell
T- Sweet taste that isn't half bad, I can taste the alcohol presence just a bit, too. Its crisp and simple.
M- light and carbonated, like a beer-spritzer
D- not half bad for what it is, given the price and others of the style tat it stands up against it is pretty good, and easy drinkingto boot.

3.13/5  rDev +23.2%

12 oz can pours a crystal clear, light yellow color with a decent sized white head. Retention is about average for the style and leaves a little collar around the edge.

Nose is pretty sweet, cooked corn and some caramel popcorn. Not horrible compared to other AALs, has some flaws, but is not nose-wrinkling bad.

Taste has more sweetness and a fuller body than most adjunct lagers. Definitely buttery with a dash of grain alcohol. Grainy malts are obviously supplemented with plenty of adjuncts. Not a horrible beer and I was actually a bit impressed with how it tastes considering the price tag. I bought a flat last week and am down to my last sixer, so there is definitely value to be had here. I would rather drink PBR for an adjunct lager, but not at nearly twice the price. Makes a good golf beer.

3.13/5  rDev +23.2%

I must say off the bat that this beer cost me $2.50 for a six pack.

Appearance - So, from the look of this beer, you would think it would hold up to other American lagers. Pours a clear, clear, clear golden body. Lots of bubbles. A nice 2 inch head that disappears way to fast. the lacing, on the other hand, is quite nice.

Smell - Smells pretty sweet actually. Much more sweet than I thought it would. I also get some grassy and earthy notes popping through.

Taste - I'll be honest. I'm not looking forward to this... It's still a bit sweet and the earthy tones definitely come through on the taste. Eh.

Mouthfeel - This beer is pretty carbonated, as is MOST of the American lagers on the shelves. It coats the palate pretty nicely.

Overall - I'm actually really surprised with this beer. The fact that it taste pretty good and costs sooo little just blows me away. I might actually buy this again, but only if I have a few bucks and want a substantial amount of beer.

3.12/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Take the glass you had your MGD in and fill it up with water. The only beer factor that this even had was the nice white head on it. A lot of bubbles.

Smells like straw and malt...or maybe straw WAS the malt. Not very much of anything else going on here...really.

The can says it's made with the choicest hops... Those hops must be so rare and choicest that they couldn't find any to put in the beer. Taste was almost tinny, like it pulled something from the aluminum can. In all fairness, it wasn't awful...just not good.

The carbonation is pretty big in this one. Almost cola like.

Drinkability? Yeah, you can down as much of this as you can hold water. Thing is, you more than likely picked up this beer on the fact that Walgreens now has a beer and as a BA you just had to try it for the sake of shit's and giggles. It almost looks like a gag gift. It's pretty damn close to Hamm's, although I think Hamm's is better. One of the best parts for me is, it says Premium Brew... Seems like it should be in a simple white can that says BEER in black letters.

3.12/5  rDev +22.8%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I loves me the cheapness. It pours a clear sallow topped by a fairly short-lived half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises corn, wheat, rice, flour, light flowers, and a touch of wispy sweetness. The taste doesn't deviate very far, though the corn is the demonstrably dominant grain now, and the sweetness has increased ever so slightly. The body is rather light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Oddly enough, overall, I expected a helluva lot worse. The fizziness was lower, the taste slightly more hardy, and it goes down less painfully than I initially figured. Still not that much of a beer here, but given the choice (especially at these prices), this thing destroys nearly any AAL I've ever had.

3.1/5  rDev +22%

Walgreen's beer! For some reason, this strikes me as being funny.

It is what it is - cheap (really, really cheap) macro adjunct lager. But, for what it is, it really isn't all that bad. Pours the predictable light golden yellow. Nominal head. Thin body. Flavor is nondescript with a bit of adjunct grain popping up at the end. Finish is clean, teetering just a bit toward tart but not going that way.

At the right time and place, such as a hot day boating on the lake, a reasonable choice.

3.1/5  rDev +22%

12oz can

Big Flats 1901 was pale golden with good clarity. It had an off-white head that managed a little lace. The smell was light malt and grain with a hint of hops. The taste was light malt, a bit grainy, with a hop bite. It finished dry and fairly long for the style. It was medium-light in body with good carbonation. Drinkabitly was good. This is a pretty basic lager that is crisp and refreshing.

3.09/5  rDev +21.7%

Thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains and corn. Taste is crisp, mild, corn and grains, not a lot going on. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall just another mediocre adjunct lager.

3.08/5  rDev +21.3%

The beer pours a pale straw color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a dry, pilsner malt scent along and little to no hop aroma. The taste is average as well. It has a light, pilsner malt and adjunct flavor. It has a touch of malt character, but nothing going in the hops department. It goes down quick with a bit of skunkiness in the finish. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty forgettable beer, although it's not much different from the rest in the market.

3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

12 oz can poured into a pilsner glass. 3270 (Nov. 22, 2010 - if a Julian date) on the bottom, no info.

A - One of the better looking American Adjunct Lagers out there, in fact one of the better looking brews period. Sure it's crystal clear and pale straw yellow but the dense two-finger white head cakes the glass in beautiful, thick lace.

S - Grainy straw and a boat-load of sweet corn in the nose. While this isn't really offensive in the least, Big Flats doesn't offer much in the way of aroma...

T - Heavily grainy pale malt seems über cheap as does the corn adjunct flavor and husky straw finish but really, this might be one of the better tasting beers of it's style, which is how I'm judging it.

M - The lingering sweetness distracts a bit but this lager is smooth and soft with a heavily carbonated but not intrusive crisp, light finish.

D - I won't lie, I'm going to dump this beer. I have no interest in consuming it, but in reality, not only is it NOT offensive, it's also highly drinkable. It's a shade better than the BMCs out there and DEFINITELY good for the price. $3 for 6 cans? Sure, in a pinch this will work.

3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

I actually had this beer on my wants for no good reason except that I liked the look of the can. BeerFMAndy humored me, and sent one down is his great box of WI brews. Thanks!

Can poured into a pint glass. Pours a crystal-clear pale gold with a thin white head capping it off. This pops and fizzles away to nothing quickly. No lace left behind. The nose is slightly skunky, with scents of lemon cleaner and musty hay. The mouth is very bubbly and crisp, albeit thin. Not unexpected though. There actually is a small amount of flavor here, some buttered corn, grass, with a sweet finish. I've had worse Adjunct Lagers for sure. I didn't hate this. In fact, I could see myself drinking this again.

3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

A $2.99 6-pack found (exclusively!) at the nearby Walgreens - too interesting/budget-friendly to pass! 12 oz. can poured to a pint glass.

Label features a mammoth waterwheel set squarely amidst a roaring river. Quality-guaranteeing superlatives such as: 'PREMIUM BREW', 'Genuine Brew' [in fancy script], 'Brewed From Only The Choicest Hops', and 'It's the water that makes it.' No idea what '1901' has to do with anything. Regardless, great self-promotion...

'Brewed by Brewmaster's Choice, Rochester, NY'

A: As standard as they come: straw-golden and ultra-refined clarity. Initial burst of carbonation and a finger+ of cottony froth. Disintegrates quickly, leaving little more than a postage stamp patch of film offset to one side. Zero lace.

S: An unappealing vegetable/DMS smell at first, but fade in seconds... from then on, corny sweetness and light cereal maltiness. Neither off nor exciting, just the expected.

T: I'm not a connoisseur of the style, but I have downed these generally benign brews from time to time over recent years (parties, leftovers, etc). With that basis for comparison, this falls squarely within the 'norm', sorta sweet, mildly hopped (spice mostly) and drying finish (a bit peppery).

M: Mellow mouthfeel, not a huge carbonation. Not as thin as some adjunct lagers (a plus), but not quite as smooth/clean (kinda sticky actually).

O: Not so bad, really, although I admit to consuming a couple right after a day spent pruning, digging and weeding - so a beer like this kinda hit the spot. Easy to drink and refreshing enough, despite some quirks with the mouthfeel. Probably wouldn't buy it again, although the cheap price tag should make it an attractive alternative to BMC/PBR-type options.

3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

12oz can served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear bright yellow with a decent sized white head that thinned leaving a few spots of lacing.

S - grainy aroma, smells pretty typical for the style.

T - once again it's typical for the style, grainy and somewhat sweet with no real bitterness to it.

F - light to medium bodied with a crisp feel.

O - very much typical for the style at a lower price than BMC, PBR, Shlitz or Schaefer

3.03/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours clear yellow with a massive 3 finger cloudy white head that faded very slowly; left decent spotty lacing.

Smells of grains, sweet malt, corn and light caramel. Pretty basic and light noise overall. Tastes just like it smells with grains, sweet malt, corn, caramel and some light citrus hops.

Very basic and almost boring, this beer has just enough flavor to be alright. It's like a mix between a Coors Light and a decent pale ale that unfortunately leaves a skunky taste in your mouth.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, with a watery feel and high carbonation. Par for the course for this style of beer.

Pretty easy to drink, and at $2.99 per 6 pack I bump this up to highly drinkable for those who are not looking for flavor. This is not a good beer, but it's not a bad beer either - it's just a beer to drink for the sake of drinking beer. If you're short on cash then this is your beer.

This is a good lawn mower beer. It's nice to drink after a hot day. The beer is typical of most American adjunct lagers....golden clear, light head, biscuity scent and flavor. Mouthfeel is generally lighter with good carbonation. Overall it's fine....easy to drink....just don't expect anything amazing?

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Big Flats 1901 from World Brews