Big Flats 1901 - World Brews

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

Brewed for Walgreens Drug Stores

Well at least its ultra cheap.

This pours a light straw color with a white foamy head, this is one of the lightest beers I've ever seen. The smell is of malted corn and other sweet malts. The mouth feel is light with some medium carbonation. The taste is pretty somewhat watery with some corn adjuncts and other sweet malts, it end with a minuscule bitterness. Okay this beer is far from being good and I had a pabst after which was way better, but at $3 for a 6 pack its one of the cheapest beers I've ever seen and its drinkable (and better than the keystone i also had). I could get a 12 pack of this for about the same price I pay for a pint. This isn't good but its a great deal (if you're wanting a cheap drunk which I normally don't).

Read about this beer on CNN and amid my incredulousness, I just HAD to buy it.

A - very pale transparent yellow. very carbonated with a head that dissipates quickly.

S - The can says "brewed from only the choices hops" and I can smell a hint of these so-called "choice hops". Otherwise slightly grainy, sour smell wafting up.

T - Um.... well.... ok, i guess. I'm trying not to be swayed by the fact that each can costs a mere 50 cents. "choice hops" again come through amid the taste of adjunct grains and, well, water. Pretty bland.

M - Thin, watery, lives up to the slogan "It's the water that makes it"

D - The one redeeming factor (aside from the price - $2.99/6-pack) is the fact that I feel like I could pound all 6 of these in one sitting as long as they're ice-cold.

Appearance: Light yellow, medium white head.
Aroma: Not much aroma.
Flavor: Not much flavor, thin highly carbonated. Light bodied, non-hoppy.
Overall: Very light, very plain domestic beer taste. This beer is exclusive to Walgreen's. I bought the 6 pack for $1.99. Not a terrible taste, but it left a slight chemical-like head ache.

2.03/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance - pour a flat yellow/straw color. Impressive snowy head of two fingers strong. Holds up pretty nicely and has a decent creamy look to it as it fades back.

Aroma - husky grain, standard macro sniff.

Taste - grain, slightly sweet, not much depth. The swallow and finish fizzle, no development to be had. From the land of hops, where's the love? Somewhat Miller-ish, which could mean there should be no delays in the effort to dispatch of the brew before it hit 50 degrees or higher. Grainy finish, a bit watery but for the style holds together okay. Vegetal notes start creeping in, drink 'em up! *Edit - to be fair, I am bumping the score after the beer has warmed a bit. It holds up better than expected, which is to say, it doesn't get gross or make me hurl in my mouth a bit. Up to 'not impressed' woo hoo! Actually, I'd go as high as 2.25 if they allowed quarter-points.

Mouthfeel - crisp but feels a little undercarbonated just the same. Definitely doesn't have the body it needs.

Drinkability - value purchase at Walgreen's. Keep the Benjamins at bay and toss a few Washingtons in the mix. $3.33 a sixer. I got every penny's worth...unfortunately more pennies are needed, and I may have overpaid. Not to be overly harsh, I would ice 'er down and knock a few back after the yard work or cutting up some wood. But as a social lubricant, this beer will not be the positive subject of any discussion.

2.13/5  rDev -16.1%

Acquired at Walgreens at a cost of $2.99 per 6 pack. 12 fl oz aluminum can with uninteresting label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger white colour head of nice thickness, okay cream, and above average (~3 minute) reention. No lacing. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks pretty typical for the style.

Sm: Dirty malts, pale malts, caramalts, artificial sweetness, malt extract, and sugary sweetness. Way too sweet. I'm not excited to try this one. An average strength aroma. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

T: Overly sweet. Really malt-forward. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Cloying malty build is syrupy and sugary but not enjoyable. Clean. Weak; devoid of flavour. Borders on watery. Horribly imbalanced. Poorly built. Bland. Boring. Generic.

Mf: Pathetically thin. Overcarbonated. Smooth and wet. Very pedestrian. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well.

Dr: Downable swill, and probably a better bet than your run of the mill macro adjuncts. For my money, Simpler Times is a far better choice if you're after budget brews. People are being pretty harsh with their reviews on this, but it's not terrible. It's just bad.

Low D

2.15/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from 12 oz. can into pint glass.

A: Pale golden in color. Strong pour creates thick head that is gone in a moment to barely a trace of head.

S: Adjunct smell. Corn, grains, light malt.

T: I don't know, kinda what you'd expect, tastes like beer that I sipped from my dad when I was young. The one noticable bad taste was metallic, tasted like blood.

M: Light, water-like.

O: I had the same reaction as others when I saw it. "Walgreens generic brand beer? For $2.99? I gotta try it." It's just that, a novelty.

Took this on recent camping weekend where selection was PBR, High Life and Schlitz. All were superior to this, and seriously they are all only pennies more in price. Not worth it.

2.15/5  rDev -15.4%

Pale lemon colored lager. Some visible bubbles. Two finger white head forms than recedes to a minimal froth. Very little lacing.

Smell of bread grains and corn. Some skunk.

Some malt flavor with a week-old, bread-like flavor. Rough corn flavor which tastes like sour grits. Underlying metallic character, I imagine that liquid silver tastes something like this. Finish is sour. Not enjoyable.

Lighter consistency but not watery. Descent carbonation. Gritty texture throughout. Its feels as if pieces of metal are sticking to the back of my tongue with each sip.

I would recommend avoiding this stuff. Try not to be temped by the $2.99 price for a six pack if you shop at Walgreens. Not the worst beer I have ever tried but there are plenty better beers if you are looking for something cheap.

2.15/5  rDev -15.4%

12oz my friend richard picked up at walgreens, from can to mouth. smells of straw and corn, some sweet malt.. malt liquorish in scent

taste is of corn, dry alc presence, hop presence is old/skunky, reminds me of natural ice or malt liquor. the review calling out watermelon rind made me chuckle but the more i drank the more i could see where they were coming from.. probably wouldn't buy again as genny is now available widely in our market now for around $1 a 24oz can and tastes better.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews