Goldmine - World Brews

GoldmineGoldmine

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MNJR on 01-26-2011)

dmorgan310, Mar 02, 2013

bubseymour, Feb 23, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +8%

milkbone_underwear, Feb 22, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Picked this up for $2.99 a six pack at Whole Foods. 12 fl oz aluminum can served into an Oskar Blues pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low. Label is a generic yellow and red. "Brewed by Gold Mine Brews, Rochester, NY." I don't see an ABV anywhere on the can.

Served straight from the fridge - as I think this style always should be. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger off-white colour thin head of no real cream. Retention is average (~2 minutes) generally, though a bit lackluster considering the low ABV. No lacing at all as the head recedes. Body colour is a pale light yellow; looks watery. It's littered with carbonation bubbles, indicating overcarbonation. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Overall, it's thin and pathetic looking. I've seen other beers in the style with more colouration and appeal. This isn't great.

Sm: Clean barley with some stale character, generic pale malts, and light artificial lemon zest. It's not what I'd call fresh, but it doesn't come off old. No yeast is detectable. I don't detect any alcohol or heat. Light clean corn rounds out the adjunct; I don't get rice. A hint of artificial fruit sweetness; maybe it's just the sugary lemon. I get some buried light generic floral hopping; there's little depth there but it's detectable. It doesn't come off watery. I don't know that it's a balanced aroma, but it's generally pleasant for a beer lover like me. Nothing sticks out as particularly egregious other than the staleness. A mild strength aroma.

T: Clean corn and crisp barley, with clean palt malts in the late second act continuing into the third act, joined by a light (and I mean light) generic floral hop character. What I love about it is that it doesn't lack body like many beers in the style; this is not as watery as your mainstream offerings like Bud or Coors. There's little flavour here, but it's balanced. Even lightly buttery, reminding me of Trader Joe's Simpler Times lager. Both are good budget beers. I think for the style they could do far worse here. A bit of crystal malt comes through; maybe more would lend it more complexity. As it is, there's no subtlety or complexity, but the balance is notable. Do I like it? Sure. Why not. But it's rather average. What can I say? I love beer.

Mf: Crisp and soft, with slight overcarbonation. Good thickness and body. Poor palate presence. Nicely wet. I'd stop short of calling it refreshing, but it'll reduce your thirst.

Dr: Aside from a bit of a stale barley character, it's not bad for the style. I think many will come down hard on it merely because it's an adjunct lager, but I do think it's one of the better ones I've had. People like to call these lawnmower or BBQ beers and I think this fits the bill at 50 cents a can. I'd definitely grab this over more mainstream offerings. You could do far worse. This might be a good beer if you're trying to ease a macro lager drinker towards craft beer; maybe after this you could make the jump to Allagash White and then Blue Moon? In any case, it has its place and I have nothing against it. I love the price point. Very drinkable; I could kill a pitcher of this with the lads over some wings. That said, I won't be getting this again.

High C-

kojevergas, Feb 18, 2013
2.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Thank to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some corn and grains. Taste is also a bit mild, grains, a bit of sweetness, kind of light. Feels light in the mouth and overall this is about the standard beer for this style.

tone77, Feb 16, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Goldmine Lager (a private label clone of Genesee) has a very thick, foamy, stark-white head, a clear, yellow-golden appearance, streaming bubbles, and a heavy lacing left on the glass. Under intense light, one can detect tiny, white particles floating throughout the beer. The aroma is of sweet, lightly-toasted barley malt, and the flavor is of sweet malt and grain, some corn, and a light dusting of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Goldmine Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and highly drinkable. There were no off-putting notes with this one. I rate very good.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Feb 14, 2013
3.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I had zero expectations for Goldmine, but at $2.99 a six pack, I couldn't resist picking it up. Especially as I read the cheese pairing suggestions posted next to the stacked beer display at Whole Foods. I have to say though, expecting nothing from the gold and yellow can, I was surprised at how non-unpleasant it was. Much better than a can of Coors or Bud. Get it cold enough and it may be a treat on a warm night next to the bbq. Don't be afraid of this one.

Guyute, Feb 03, 2013

nuclearmeg, Feb 01, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Found at Whole Foods for $3.99 a six-pack.

Pours a dirty gold with a thin stream of bubbles that sustains a bit of foam.

Smells of sweet and sour grains with a dry crispness. It generally reminds me of cheap beer.

Tastes about the same. Isn't the bottom floor already full in the adjunct lager market? Is there really demand for another poorly done adjunct lager? This one tastes like any number of slightly sour and dirty lagers. I suppose it is a touch better than some with a clean and almost fruity corn, but it just finishes off with the sour, pungent edge that brings out the worst in the style.

Feels full with a soft rasp of carbonation but finishes clean.

I guess I don't see the point. I won't be revisiting this beer.

DarkerTheBetter, Jan 16, 2013

chronolulu, Jan 07, 2013

MBSpear, Jan 07, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -2%

Oh mighty overseer of CANs, thank you for landing me some CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), which has been off-track for too long. I scored a sixer at Whole Foods Market (Dupont Circle) while in DC last week to look at the Lichtenstein exhibit at the National Gallery of Art.

Nothing on the CAN that CAN't be discerned from the picture, so it is Crack & Glug time, kids! I love that sound and the visual that accompanies it. This showed real promise, developing two-plus fingers of dense, foamy bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity allowing me to see into the future. My future is filled with beer! Yay. Nose smelled like so many other AALs - full of corn and other adjuncts. I think that corn is the worst as it ends up reminding me of silage: rotting, fermenting corn, husks and cobs stored in a silo for use as pig feed. Oh well. Such is the nature of the beast. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was sweeter than the nose led me to expect. Yeah, it was as corny as the puns that I start my students out with every day, but either I have gotten used to it or it was not as pronounced as in many of its brethren. Finish was semi-dry and for the price, it was not bad. It would make a decent lawnmower beer, but if you asked me to distinguish it from others, I would fold my hand. This is dime-a-dozen beer.

woodychandler, Jan 05, 2013

TypsiYpsi, Dec 20, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +45.5%

This is definitely an adjunct lager, but it's pretty good for one. It's fairly bland and unobtrusive, but it's got a nice fruity note to it and is very refreshing and easy drinking. It's completely enjoyable as an adjunct lager, which is not true of most. It tastes like a better batch of Big Flats (a very inconsistent and cheap brew by the same company). I'd get it again if it was cheaper in my area, but I'll stick with Big Flats for now and hope for a good batch.

ElCommodoro, Dec 19, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +20.6%

A- Clear super light yellow body with a small white foam cap.

A- Sweet malt aroma. Adjunct aroma. A little malt, a little corn. Pleasant.

T- Sweet adjunct flavor. Very light bitterness with a crisp clean finish. Semi-sweet, not bland, pretty good.

M- Light body, moderate carbonation.

D- Easy drinking, and for the price completely worth it. Get it, drink it, and don't be a snob.

gpogo, Dec 12, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Reviewed within the STYLE it is impossible to score this one low. At $3.49 per six pack at Whole Foods Market, I thought what the heck. And I got a lot more than I thought I would for about what I pay for a gallon of gas these days...

A: Poured into a tumbler, this one retains a decent foamy head and shows some great color for an American Adjunct Lager.

S: Nothing offensive, which would place this one up there with Gennesee Cream Ale as one of the best smelling adjuncts out there. A little corn, light maltiness, and some notes of sourdough.

T: Again, nothing offensive. Smooth, creamy, not sharp at all, goes down easy with a nice refreshing, but not bland flavor. Semi-sweet, but not artificial. Overall a nice tasting beer.

Value: For $3.49 a sixer, only the worst hipster beer snob would NOT buy this. Recommended for that night before pay day!!!

WeezyBoPeep, Dec 03, 2012
3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

A - clear gold with a thin, bubbly, fizzy layer of white head

S - sweet, grainy

T - sweet, grainy, very faint hop character

M - light bodied, crisp, well carbonated

This is definitely better out of the can, but even in a glass this isn't an awful beer for the style. It's typical but doesn't have the off flavors that often plague this style. This isn't something I'll have again, but it was nice once

tdm168, Nov 21, 2012

Hanzo, Nov 18, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +4%

Purchased a 12 pack of this for $6.99 (now that's an economy beer) at the package store on hwy. 29 in Lilburn.
Pours a very light, clear pale straw yellow, with a bright white head that has surprisingly decent retention.
Smell is corn husk and grain. Nothing here offensive. Taste follows the nose.
Got to give this beer some props. Cheap, but provides a nice value.
We have a match with the can shown on BA but this is from Rochester, NY - not Calif.

jadpsu, Nov 05, 2012

lilnicky068, Nov 04, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured chilled in a tall ale glass.

A: clear bright yellow; lots of carb beads; very thick head, goes down quickly; lacing decent
S: stale smell of lager
T: sweet; not bitter; emphasis on malt; few hops; not very flavorful, and what there is seems to be in the Sprite/lemon water region; relatively nondescript; it's about average for this genre

An American version of a eastern European adjunct lager (think Stauropramen).

Arithmeticus, Oct 30, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12oz CAN into a pint glass

A- Goldmine Lager is a crisp light yellow with some spots of amber. Just the faintest little cap i've ever seen, it eventually goes into nothing leaving a semi dead looking drink, but there are some rising bubbles coming up.

S- Corn and grain are the main contenders here. Your typical adjunct scent without the skunk that goes with some in the pact,

T- There is more flavor in here than I was expecting but it isnt much more than some grain and corn, some sweet malts. A earthy hop flavor in the back that is barely a whisper.

M- Kinda lively from the CAN with a bit of zing, easy drinking, good enough to go down easy like. Very light bodied and pretty crisp.

D- I think I would enjoy this more off of the tap, the appeal of this went away after 6 oz or so, but i finished the liquid with ease.

BARFLYB, Oct 08, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Ah, good old World Brews. Producing cheap mediocre swill under a thousand generic faces for years now. Picked up a sixer of this nonsense at the Whole Foods in Charlottesville. this pours with startling clarity and a surprisingly decent head. Some decent lacing is a bonus as well. Nose is pure adjunct-town. This is the beer you think it is: a not very good one. Some sweetish malt and a whiff of hops but not much else. Drinkable but not desirable.

daliandragon, Sep 10, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a clear yellow with a 1 inch foamy white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grain, sugar, and some slight fruity aromas. Taste is of grain and sugar. There is an extremely slight bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a pretty good level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with a better smell than taste.

UCLABrewN84, May 06, 2012

Appearance: Poured 2 cans into a 24oz mug and watched the 1 inch head die down to a healthy quarter. It has a slightly hazy straw color and about average carbonation.

Smell: I'm smelling bread and corn with just a hint of malt at the back end.

Taste: This stuff tastes like salty corn flakes with very little malt or hops.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation--maybe a little thin.

Overall: For $5.99 a twelve pack, this is a pretty good deal. It's a decent adjunct brew, and I could see it being a summer time thirst quencher.

godlessape, Nov 07, 2011