Double Take IPA - World Brews

Double Take IPADouble Take IPA

poor

World Brews visit their website

(Beer added by: azdback on 06-18-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

cycoduck, Feb 20, 2012

Picked up a 6 pack at Safeway for $5...which right off the bat "raises red flags".
Looks quite a lot like motor oil, but with a head.
The smell is of floral hops and some alcohol gassing off.
First sip is met with a rich malt flavor followed by the tangy hops. Nothing seems over done, under done...just a nice beer for a great price.
I can't detect any aspirin, moldy hops, Lipton Tea or anything else "evil" going on with this beer.
It doesn't have the flamboyant hop flavors that some IPA drinkers might demand, but there is no mistaking [by anyone with brewing experience]that this is a full fledged IPA.
If I was given this to review blindfolded, my opinion of it would be the same as it is now...I like this one and will call it "GOOD"
"GOOD" BTW, means that I thought the beer was totally enjoyable and rates a 4.

industrialswill, Nov 08, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +36.9%

TheKitten, Jan 16, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +36.9%

ChaseBeer, Apr 08, 2014
3.68/5  rDev +34.3%

a: poured a shade or 2 darker than a golden orange. nice 2 finger head, eggshell colored with tight bubbles. leaves a decent lace.

s: good balance of toasty malts & pine hops. some leafiness as well as some toffee notes.

t: upfront i got toffee notes, then some piney/leafy hop flavors. in the finish i got a minty-like taste along with some toasty malts. also has a strange flavor that lingers, but nothing that puts off the beer for me.

mf: its got a solid medium body. carbonation is on the lower end with a smooth, slightly creamy feel.

o: it wasn't undrinkable like i expected and it was surprisingly decent. nothing spectacular, but it was well worth the $6.99/6pack price and the 6.9% abv.

aval89, Jan 31, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +27.7%

jesus808, Jun 11, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +27.7%

Jaguarkmd, Sep 14, 2013
3.46/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance- Pours a golden colored brew with a small white head. The head fades rather rapidly to leave a moderate level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell- The aroma is heaviest of a bready smell and sweet citrus and tropical fruit smell. Mixed with this aroma is a little bit of a grapefruit and pine hop as well as some aromas of a caramel sweetness.

Taste- The taste begins with a doughy and somewhat sweeter taste upfront with the sweet being a blend of orange, tangerine and a bit of tropical fruits as well as some caramel. Initially there is a lighter grapefruit hop taste that begins very weak but that grows stronger more toward the end of the taste. Along with the grapefruit some notes of flavor hops as well as pine hit the tongue. Right at the end of the taste the grapefruit really steps out its game and gets quite a bit more intense in nature, combining with the rest to leave a grapefruit bitter and bready flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of creaminess and thickness with a carbonation level that is rather average as well. Both suit the style well and match the sweeter flavors nicely while still able to support the hop and bready flavors of the brew.

Overall – A decent IPA but nothing out to the ordinary. It’s good and easy going character makes it a good standard brew for day to day consumption.

Darkmagus82, Jun 28, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

miggy2tone, Aug 02, 2012
3.15/5  rDev +15%

A: Pours copper with golden tints. Plenty of thick, creamy head atop. Lots of lacing. All signs point to good.

S: Smells quite good. Lots of citrus and plenty of malts. The aroma hints at a more balanced IPA. Some pine resin. My cold is hindering the more subtle notes.

T: Malts up front followed by a bitter, grass and lemon hop flavor that just seems a bit off. Very bitter on the finish. It's just not melding right for me, but it isn't entirely unpleasant either.

M: Medium bodied, but definitely light for an IPA. Body is actually pretty decent with a bit of cream and chewiness, though still a bit watery. This one is definitely sessionable, though I wouldn't go as far as to call it refreshing.

O: I was a bit disappointed with this one. On the pour and on the nose, it had me going, but the flavor seemed a bit off. I probably would not seek this one out again, however, at $6.99 for a six pack you could do far worse.

kflorence, Jun 13, 2012
3.09/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: Attractive pale copper with generous foam.

Smell: Bitter with underwhelming hints of citrus and herbs.

Taste: Sweet and bitter, but not so much in a good way like you may find in a better quality IPA. Or even an average IPA. If you search really hard, you can find the citrus and pine hops but it may take a while.

Mouthfeel: Foamy, creamy, and very bitter. Did I just swallow a penny?

The Verdict: Meh. It’s drinkable, it’s cheap, and it hides the 6.9% ABV well, but that is the full extent of it’s good qualities. This is from the same company that makes many generic beers with names like Cable Car, Tap Room No. 21, RJ King Wingwalker, and Barrel Trolley masquerading as craft brews.

Would I buy it again? If I were broke (which is often), it was on sale, and I was hankering for something that didn’t have the name “Bud” on the label… maybe.

TheMarkE, Mar 21, 2013
3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

This comes out better now that Safeway is having a special at $5 a sixer. Everyone else is going up. I balked at 8.99 for Old Rasputin, so I went on a quest for something cheaper. I remembered this from some months back when they first came out with it at Safeway. The taste is bitter - one review said it tasted like aspirin - not sure why the reviewer eats aspirin. The aftertaste is persistent bitter, without an unpleasant leftover. But where else can you get something that has a taste and 6.9% for 5 bucks? I frankly don't understand how it is possible for breweries to get beer so wrong when they whip up millions of gallons, but at least this isn't as wrong as Rainier/Oly/whatever the heck else. I would recommend this for anyone who wants to mellow out after a tough day battling customers. This beer is a lesson for any home brewers: you want to rescue your batch from disaster? Throw in the hops.

sabinelr, Nov 08, 2011

Rhettroactive, Mar 17, 2014

himynameisping, May 23, 2013

Jame515, Sep 27, 2013

Anomandaris, Today at 04:34 AM

JarMills, Mar 25, 2013

B_B, Jun 20, 2014
2.88/5  rDev +5.1%

I am in touch with the vendor of this one a lot (he is also the vendor for Firestone Walker) and he let me know about it. It is a contract beer that is only available at Von's and Safeway grocery stores. It had an introductory price of $5.99 a sixer, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Poured into a Spaten tumbler. Bright, clear orange color. Lots and lots of carbonation bubbles that lead to a three finger bright white head. Very soapy looking from the side but quite frothy and creamy on top. Lace is very sticky and probably gonna leave it's mark on this glass, and does in a nice patched ring pattern.

Smell is quite adjunct and musty. There is definitely some Belgian or European yeast in this one. I do get just the slightest hint of sweet citrus or maybe a sour grape, but I really had to search for it.

Taste is much better than the nose but it still is too musty and dank for me. There is a rich malt backbone that is just a bit sweet. I'm not really getting any descriptors, like fruit or citrus. There is just a bit of booze warmyness way at the end.

Mouth is really not too bad. It is a bit dry but other than that not really off for the style. On second thought it is just a bit watery or thin, nicely carbonated and just a bit of booze warm in the throat.

Overall I didn't think this was all that bad. I drank this knowing that it was a contract beer, and sold only at a grocery store, so my expectations weren't that high. I think it exceeded those expectations but didn't exceed the expectations of my pallet. For $6 its worth a shot. If it is priced at $8+ don't waste your money.

azdback, Jun 18, 2011
2.78/5  rDev +1.5%

I've been hesitant about buying this due to the fact that it's at a chain grocery store for $6... Price bias? Perhaps, but I'm going off of past experience here. Poured into a pint glass.

Copper body complement by a thin, fizzy kind of head. Nice color, but it has a pretty flat appearance. Each sip leaves a thin, sticky lacing down the side of a glass. Smell is a faint hoppiness, kind of sprucy. No real malt backbone to speak of, but there's a faint, fruity undertone popping up. Neither potent nor deep, but not unpleasant.

A light, tingly body carries the flavor on to the tongue. A decent bitter kick on the back end is about the best part. There's a light hop bite the whole way through. No malts to speak of - it's a fairly one-dimensional brew.

I'm not all of that surprised at the result, here. For the price, it's decent enough, but I don't see myself revisiting it in the near-future... or the distant-future, for that matter.

bbkd3b, Jan 17, 2012

Lazaro, May 03, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

I picked this up at Safeway because I have never heard of it until just now.

Appearance- amber color, pretty good size head

Smell- very light hops, barely any, malt

Taste- very light hops, a little more in the finish but still very light

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- It was ok but for an IPA it was not good. I was expecting hops and I barely got any. I would not buy it again.

jeffjeff1, Aug 05, 2011

sirtommygunnah, Sep 26, 2013

dwtyler, Sep 07, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

I bought a six-pack of Double Take IPA at a Safeway store. Introductory price, I think it was $5.99.

Pours a copper gold color and is clear. Frothy white head has some resiliency to it. Leaves a bit of lace on the glass.

Smell is faint, a bit of a sweet bread aroma and some citrus notes. Pink grapefruit perhaps.

Taste is also decidedly malty. Sweet bread flavors and some mild citrus. Very mild bitterness. The hop profile might qualify as an IPA, especially the English style.

Mouthfeel is OK. Medium bodied, perhaps slightly cloying, with a dry aftertaste.

Drinkable, especially at the introductory price. I think it is marginally better than the Henry Weinhard's IPA but not as good as others. I don't think I would pay more than $6.99 for a sixer of this.

RJLarse, Jul 17, 2011