Double Take IPA - World Brews

Double Take IPADouble Take IPA

poor

World Brews visit their website

(Beer added by: azdback on 06-18-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
1.73/5  rDev -35.7%

Purchased this beer from a Dominick's this weekend for 5.99 a 6 pack. I rarely go to Dominick's but was intrigued by the low price for an IPA. Had I known it was the same brewery as Wingwalker from Jewel grocery and Big Flats 1901 from Walgreens, I would have avoided.

Appearance: A rust-colored look that is a bit paler from finer varieties of its genre. I did have some serious clinging and lacing that looked like a jacuzzi at the Holiday Inn.

Smell: It has faint citrus and floral overtones but not overwhelming. It definitely smell of alcohol.

Taste: My first drink was the best, all downhill after that. It tastes like a very bitter IPA with strong lingering alcohol long thereafter. I feel like this is the moonshine of IPAs.

Overall: I will not be buying this again. I can still fell the burning in the back of my throat. Not recommended.

Irishthirst, Aug 20, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -22.7%

Yet another World Brew's product. Maybe they'll finally get one right as all my previous experiences with their beers have not been good. I can only hope. 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

The beer poured a mostly clear golden/copper color with a 1-finger white head that almost lasted a minute. Lots of small spotty lacing on the glass.

While there was a piny hop smell to this, there was also a noticeable amount of unpleasant alcohol.

Ugh! This stuff is awful. While it has some piny hop flavor to it (and not much else), it's the overwhelming alcoholic taste that ruins it for me. It's nearly devoid of malt and the hop strain they used isn't that tasty either. A poor example of an IPA.

The mouthfeel is actually not bad. It's smooth (almost creamy) with moderate carbonation. But again, the alcohol is everywhere.

No matter how cheap it is, if you have to force it down or spit it out, it's not worth it.

matjack85, Aug 05, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +20.8%

miggy2tone, Aug 02, 2012
3.15/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Pours copper with golden tints. Plenty of thick, creamy head atop. Lots of lacing. All signs point to good.

S: Smells quite good. Lots of citrus and plenty of malts. The aroma hints at a more balanced IPA. Some pine resin. My cold is hindering the more subtle notes.

T: Malts up front followed by a bitter, grass and lemon hop flavor that just seems a bit off. Very bitter on the finish. It's just not melding right for me, but it isn't entirely unpleasant either.

M: Medium bodied, but definitely light for an IPA. Body is actually pretty decent with a bit of cream and chewiness, though still a bit watery. This one is definitely sessionable, though I wouldn't go as far as to call it refreshing.

O: I was a bit disappointed with this one. On the pour and on the nose, it had me going, but the flavor seemed a bit off. I probably would not seek this one out again, however, at $6.99 for a six pack you could do far worse.

kflorence, Jun 13, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +30.1%

jesus808, Jun 11, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -34.9%

hilgart1, Apr 16, 2012

cycoduck, Feb 20, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +36.8%

a: poured a shade or 2 darker than a golden orange. nice 2 finger head, eggshell colored with tight bubbles. leaves a decent lace.

s: good balance of toasty malts & pine hops. some leafiness as well as some toffee notes.

t: upfront i got toffee notes, then some piney/leafy hop flavors. in the finish i got a minty-like taste along with some toasty malts. also has a strange flavor that lingers, but nothing that puts off the beer for me.

mf: its got a solid medium body. carbonation is on the lower end with a smooth, slightly creamy feel.

o: it wasn't undrinkable like i expected and it was surprisingly decent. nothing spectacular, but it was well worth the $6.99/6pack price and the 6.9% abv.

aval89, Jan 31, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. The blonde Double Take IPA pours a deep golden with a touch of haze and offers creamy white foam. Standard or better retention and lace. Good to see that it is truly 'blonde' and not overdone in the caramel department.

Aroma offers some light hop notes and an underlying simple grainy feel. Rather light overall but pleasant in the approach with an orange and lemony underpinning.

More orange notes on the flavor along with a bit lemon bread and a light bitterness. Touch acrid at times particulary when first poured. A bit of warming and air helps dissipate the tannin notes but this beer is quite dry for a 6.9% offering, finishing a bit chalky.

This beer starts off well enough but surely takes a turn for the worse. Like the blonde on the bottle you don't really want to look to closely and perhaps a bit more enjoyable right from the bottle. Still nothing detracts excessively.

HalfFull, Jan 22, 2012
2.78/5  rDev +3.3%

I've been hesitant about buying this due to the fact that it's at a chain grocery store for $6... Price bias? Perhaps, but I'm going off of past experience here. Poured into a pint glass.

Copper body complement by a thin, fizzy kind of head. Nice color, but it has a pretty flat appearance. Each sip leaves a thin, sticky lacing down the side of a glass. Smell is a faint hoppiness, kind of sprucy. No real malt backbone to speak of, but there's a faint, fruity undertone popping up. Neither potent nor deep, but not unpleasant.

A light, tingly body carries the flavor on to the tongue. A decent bitter kick on the back end is about the best part. There's a light hop bite the whole way through. No malts to speak of - it's a fairly one-dimensional brew.

I'm not all of that surprised at the result, here. For the price, it's decent enough, but I don't see myself revisiting it in the near-future... or the distant-future, for that matter.

bbkd3b, Jan 17, 2012

Picked up a 6 pack at Safeway for $5...which right off the bat "raises red flags".
Looks quite a lot like motor oil, but with a head.
The smell is of floral hops and some alcohol gassing off.
First sip is met with a rich malt flavor followed by the tangy hops. Nothing seems over done, under done...just a nice beer for a great price.
I can't detect any aspirin, moldy hops, Lipton Tea or anything else "evil" going on with this beer.
It doesn't have the flamboyant hop flavors that some IPA drinkers might demand, but there is no mistaking [by anyone with brewing experience]that this is a full fledged IPA.
If I was given this to review blindfolded, my opinion of it would be the same as it is now...I like this one and will call it "GOOD"
"GOOD" BTW, means that I thought the beer was totally enjoyable and rates a 4.

industrialswill, Nov 08, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +13.4%

This comes out better now that Safeway is having a special at $5 a sixer. Everyone else is going up. I balked at 8.99 for Old Rasputin, so I went on a quest for something cheaper. I remembered this from some months back when they first came out with it at Safeway. The taste is bitter - one review said it tasted like aspirin - not sure why the reviewer eats aspirin. The aftertaste is persistent bitter, without an unpleasant leftover. But where else can you get something that has a taste and 6.9% for 5 bucks? I frankly don't understand how it is possible for breweries to get beer so wrong when they whip up millions of gallons, but at least this isn't as wrong as Rainier/Oly/whatever the heck else. I would recommend this for anyone who wants to mellow out after a tough day battling customers. This beer is a lesson for any home brewers: you want to rescue your batch from disaster? Throw in the hops.

sabinelr, Nov 08, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -19.3%

Not going to do the traditional review here.

Looks like a nice IPA. Smell is malt and citrus with a weird kind of sourish twang. Taste is not good. Malt comes on, is attacked by hops and the whole thing is enveloped in a very nasty bitter/sour (sour like gone bad) kind of flavor that doesn't go away. It's like they TRIED to screw this one up. Nuf said.

srandycarter, Sep 22, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -23.8%

Been avoiding this one but Von's was selling it for $5 a six pack tonight so I HAD to give it a try.

Clear amber colored ale with a small yellowish white colored head. It does fall in the spectrum that I like to call IPA Orange.

Smell is herbal hops with smells of aspirin and the smell of a willow tree, Amarillo Hops?

Starts out sweetish with a unexpected caramel syrup taste. Fairly bitter with an aspirin flavor that I associate with Amarillo hop, I'm not a fan of this hop variety. Fairly bitter with a bit of a savory taste to it. Sensation of salt on the tongue. The taste is fairly acrid, something like burned plastic. The taste is frankly for want of a better word for it Abusive.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall I am tempted to give this a 1. Bluntly this isn't a good beer. Only reason this doesn’t get a 1 is that I didn’t pour it down the drain. Whoever decided on the hop mix should be shot and shot twice for using Amarillo hops. Needs a warning on the label "Tastes vaguely like cat piss and STRONGLY of Aspirin!”

Zorro, Sep 20, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -57.2%

Got enticed by the price, $6 for a 6. Also, strange finding beers from Rochester NY in a Seattle Safeway. There's more than one BA review page for this one, contract brewed. Worse IPA EVER! Those stinky moldy tasting rank hops made infamous by Genesee beer are present here, corn, straw tasting and disgusting - did I say how much I hated it? Terrible crap from Rochester. Do not waste your time or money.

jkdrummer, Sep 01, 2011
2.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I picked this up at Safeway because I have never heard of it until just now.

Appearance- amber color, pretty good size head

Smell- very light hops, barely any, malt

Taste- very light hops, a little more in the finish but still very light

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- It was ok but for an IPA it was not good. I was expecting hops and I barely got any. I would not buy it again.

jeffjeff1, Aug 06, 2011
2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

I bought a six-pack of Double Take IPA at a Safeway store. Introductory price, I think it was $5.99.

Pours a copper gold color and is clear. Frothy white head has some resiliency to it. Leaves a bit of lace on the glass.

Smell is faint, a bit of a sweet bread aroma and some citrus notes. Pink grapefruit perhaps.

Taste is also decidedly malty. Sweet bread flavors and some mild citrus. Very mild bitterness. The hop profile might qualify as an IPA, especially the English style.

Mouthfeel is OK. Medium bodied, perhaps slightly cloying, with a dry aftertaste.

Drinkable, especially at the introductory price. I think it is marginally better than the Henry Weinhard's IPA but not as good as others. I don't think I would pay more than $6.99 for a sixer of this.

RJLarse, Jul 18, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A sixer of IPA at $5.99 is worth for an honest try. It is definitely drinkable and mildly hoppy but it falls a bit short on all things that make a good IPA. Henry Weinhard's IPA is about the same price point but a delivers much better for a budget IPA.

This beer is exclusively distributed to Vons, Safeways, etc. who have a knack for mis-handling beer. I bought mine from a stack on the floor in front of the cooler. They were cold and warm on different sides of the package and were being rotated in with a spot in the cooler (which was empty).

DrLasers, Jun 27, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a typical IPA color: clear gold with a tangerine center and an average beige head. Subdued aroma, some bread along with lesser accents of crystal and caramel malts, and a wilted citrus hop note. Flavor is like iced tea with the most trifling squeeze of an orange slice. Pure Lipton bomb here. This isn’t "Brisk Baby!" Or is that Nestea’s old slogan? Regardless, this beer should be featured in brewing manuals under the What Happens When You Use Too Much Crystal Malt and Not Enough Hops chapter. Oversteeped mild citrus tea -- down to the tannic, astringent finish -- with a little malt on the side. This honestly isn’t even hopped strongly enough to breach APA territory. The body is pretty okay with just enough heft to carry the alcohol. As it warms I get a little more caramel/honey sweetness, which is not what this beer needs (an overhaul).

illidurit, Jun 27, 2011
2.88/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am in touch with the vendor of this one a lot (he is also the vendor for Firestone Walker) and he let me know about it. It is a contract beer that is only available at Von's and Safeway grocery stores. It had an introductory price of $5.99 a sixer, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Poured into a Spaten tumbler. Bright, clear orange color. Lots and lots of carbonation bubbles that lead to a three finger bright white head. Very soapy looking from the side but quite frothy and creamy on top. Lace is very sticky and probably gonna leave it's mark on this glass, and does in a nice patched ring pattern.

Smell is quite adjunct and musty. There is definitely some Belgian or European yeast in this one. I do get just the slightest hint of sweet citrus or maybe a sour grape, but I really had to search for it.

Taste is much better than the nose but it still is too musty and dank for me. There is a rich malt backbone that is just a bit sweet. I'm not really getting any descriptors, like fruit or citrus. There is just a bit of booze warmyness way at the end.

Mouth is really not too bad. It is a bit dry but other than that not really off for the style. On second thought it is just a bit watery or thin, nicely carbonated and just a bit of booze warm in the throat.

Overall I didn't think this was all that bad. I drank this knowing that it was a contract beer, and sold only at a grocery store, so my expectations weren't that high. I think it exceeded those expectations but didn't exceed the expectations of my pallet. For $6 its worth a shot. If it is priced at $8+ don't waste your money.

azdback, Jun 18, 2011