2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Four In Hand IPA - World Brews

Four In Hand IPAFour In Hand IPA

World Brews visit their website

(Beer added by: secondtooth on 06-27-2011)
View: Beers (82) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 119 | Reviews: 51 | Show All Ratings:
largadeer

1.5/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz into a tulip. Muddy amber pour, a finger of head forms above an opaque ruddy body. Strong fruity esters are most prominent on the nose, stonefruit in particular, with caramel malt and boiled vegetal hops behind. Caramel malt and fruity esters overtake the hops on the palate as well, though there's a slight vegetal/herbal bitterness in the finish. Slightly metallic with a hefty body. This is awful.

11-26-2013 05:55:10 | More by largadeer
viverlee

1.85/5  rDev -40.3%

Years ago I played poker. A lot. Paid for a good chunk of law school with it and nearly made it a career. This artwork appeals to the leather-ass grinder still in me. The beer itself, not so much.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 6.3%

LOOK: Not exactly Bobby’s Room, it’s as light as the judges’ game. Candied orange and red, the color is nice … but that’s about it. Usually with a brew this light you can expect a half-assed head or a wee pop of carbonation. Not here.

NOSE: Rubbery glue, dirty gutters, cat litter (clean at least). It was a struggle to dig deep in the misplaced hope there was something pleasant to be found.

MOUTH: It’s … tolerable. Even inoffensive. I get some globby maltiness but no hint of hops, no floral spring, no nothing really. The nose, it just clings and moves right in. Quick, someone cheer me up…

You know what cheers me up when I’m feelin’ shitty?

What?

Rolled-up aces over kings.

Is that right?

Yeah … check-raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off ‘em. Stacks and towers of checks I can’t even see over. Playin’ all-night, high-limit hold’em at the Taj, “where the sand turns to gold.”

Fuck it, let’s go.

Don’t tease me.

Let’s play some fucking cards.

Beeradvocate Rating: 76

Hayward Abbey Rating: 62

08-02-2012 03:19:39 | More by viverlee
rcfunk

1.88/5  rDev -39.4%

What this beer lacks in quality and taste, it makes up for in oxidation and diacetyl. Really not so great. I am sorry I bought a six pack of it. At least it was on special. Never again. I hate it when this kind of thing makes it to market. I don't know what is supposed to make this an IPA. I would say this beer is a result of either bad equipment, operator error poor recipe design or a mix of all three.

01-03-2012 02:32:48 | More by rcfunk
EgadBananas

Louisiana

2.14/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Appearance: Pours a clear, sunny, medium yellowish color, with a white finger of head.

Aroma: faint citrus, sweet malts, sugarcane. Though muddled, its okay.

Taste: this is where things start falling apart. First off, it must have the IBUs of an American Pale Lager because there's no bitterness at all, missing a major IPA component. Secondly, its sweet...thanks to no bitterness, the sweetness just comes of as completely lacking any balance or definition. Some of the sweetness is citrusy, but its not enough to really pass it as an IpA.

Mouthfeel: its a little sticky and medium bodied, overall feeling decent, but lacks character.

Overall: looks good, smells okay, tastes bad, feels decent. It's a mess that only a its mother could love.

06-17-2013 00:43:07 | More by EgadBananas
popery

2.15/5  rDev -30.6%

Bottle. Rated with style in mind. This is among the worst IPAs that I’ve ever had. There’s little hop presence, besides a touch of bland bitterness in the finish and a hint of pine/citrus in the aroma. Otherwise, the aroma is old grain, simple sugar and a funny vegetal note, and it’s all quite weak. The taste is sweet and musty with a finish that’s kinda cloying with a slight bitter edge. Mouthfeel is sudsy and fine. Likewise, appearance is a standard orange-amber, transparent, with a white head. It just tastes cheap and crappy. It’s certainly not the worst beer in the world, but I would recommend spending a couple extra bucks on a good six pack and definitely don’t expect an IPA, if you do buy it.

07-27-2011 02:48:16 | More by popery
Jaynuze

District of Columbia

2.2/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Bought a four pack of 16 oz cans. My interests were piqued with the interesting label and the attractive price; ~$5 for a four pack at Whole Foods. Majorly disappointed. It pours very clear, akin to a light lager. The nose and taste were pretty much on par with the appearance: metallic nose with no floral notes and a wet, stale finish. It reminded me of a macro beer = great idea/intentions, but poor finish overall. I have three more of these in the fridge, so I will give it another try to see if it was just a one off. Pretty bummed as this had appeared to be a great buy.

03-27-2013 14:19:30 | More by Jaynuze
kojevergas

2.21/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

4 pack of pint-volume aluminum cans acquired at a nearby Whole Foods for a scant $5.99 USD plus tax. 6.3% ABV confirmed. "Four in Hand I.P.A." Expectations are quite low given the brewery; I'm quite acquainted with their other offerings and picked this up knowing what I was getting into because Every Beer Gets A Chance. Brewed by World Brews, Rochester, NY. Self identifies as an IPA, so that's what I'm reviewing it as.

Served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. No freshness date is visible, but the Whole Foods I got it at has a pretty high customer influx so I'm not worried about the turnover.

A: Pours almost entirely foam in the glass. Quickly recedes to a still seemingly overcarbonated six finger thick head of beige colour. Something of a soft complexion. Light weak lacing. Fairly frothy. Decent thickness. Some creaminess. Fluffy and appealing in a general sense. No bubble show.

Body colour is a clear yellow-gold of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Translucent. Bubble quantity seems right; aside from the head I don't suspect overcarbonation. It's a bit pale and more gold-hued than most beers in the style, but for the most part it's en pointe. Generally appealing.

Sm: Pleasant if mild floral hop character. Pale malts. Some tropical fruit notes and light bubblegum - both hop notes despise. A bit buttery. Maybe some diacetyl. Cane sugar. A sticky and wet aroma. Not unappealing, but I'm a bit turned off by the hop choices. It does come off too sweet for the style.

It's rather mild in terms of strength. Certainly not a powerful aroma.

The diacetyl is a definite off-flavour, but it's not outrageous or particularly overt.

I can't say I'm looking forward to trying it, but it's an inoffensive aroma that might be appealing to fans of the style. A bit below average perhaps. I'm not understanding the low ratings for this so far. No yeast or alcohol is detectable.

T/Mf: Tropical fruit and cane sugar with some heavily sweet candied notes. Diacetyl butterscotch. Caramel (also dicatetyl-esque [if you'll excuse the pretension inherent in that phrasing]). Way too sweet; one could call it cloying. Not enough hop bitterness (and you'll rarely see me say this in my reviews); it needs more hop character to balance out the hoppy sweetness with some much needed bitterness. Any hop character that's there is just the crappy tropical fruit and bubblegum that I hate along with some overly restrained unevocative floral hops. Some bready malts. Strangely limey and thereby reminiscent of a crappy Mexican/Spanish adjunct lager. Staggering amounts of caramalt; why not pale malt for the body?

Ugh. I find more and more wrong with it as I go along. Yes, the balance is horrid, it's simple, and there's no subtlety at all. But overall I think it's largely inoffensive in spite of its poor execution. It's a failure as an IPA, but style aside it's not awful.

Off flavours: Diacetyl, cloying sweetness, maybe even a bit of a metallic note - but this last note isn't really that noticeable.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Flavour intensity is mild/average. Flavour duration is average.

Sticky. Smooth and wet. A bit oily. Maybe a bit buttery; the diacetyl comes through here as well. Artificial. Thin and weak. Doesn't help facilitate the flavours all that well. Carbonation is off. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well. Poorly executed for the style.

Dr: A strange thought occurred to me while drinking this: I bet if I blended this half and half with Palate Wrecker, it'd make a pretty decent IPA - at least better than either of the constituents.

Honestly, it's not terrible - but it's pretty bad, and certainly unremarkable. Price doesn't affect my reviews, but there are better IPAs at this pricepoint available in this market. And frankly I'd sooner have other budget beers in more simple styles that are harder to screw up before I'd have this again. I appreciate the market sector World Brews is trying to fill, and if they're able to bring this to market to satisfy some IPA fans while keeping costs low, then more power to them.

It's not an egregiously offensive brew, nor is it undrinkable. Could I chug a can if I wanted/had to? Absolutely. But for those who are after a flavorful or balanced brew - or a passable IPA - will be disappointed. I definitely wouldn't get this again, but I'll also definitely finish the three remaining cans from my four pack. Stop drain-pouring, and start appreciating that there are sober kids in India, you posh pretentious bastards.

It should offer more bang for its buck in terms of ABV given the low quality and budget price.

High D-

06-19-2013 04:04:43 | More by kojevergas
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.25/5  rDev -27.4%

Thanks to Whole Foods for having the 20% off on beer thing on Friday, and thanks for keeping me from having to waste my money on this beer by offering samples. Poured a cloudy light copper with way too much haze in it for no apparent reason. Aroma was just pure bitter, not a delicate or powerful hop presence, just bitterness, super high alpha acid long bitter boil no dry hopping type of territory I suspect.

Taste, you know the story by now, its real bitter and brings nothing else to the table. Yeah, there might be some serious ibus in this one, but there's just no taste beyond the acrid bitterness. If there is a flavor, you'd describe it as like stomach acid and soap combined.

Same price as SNPA? Yeah, uh, no thanks, won't be buying a sixer of this, ever.

01-29-2012 23:56:35 | More by Beerandraiderfan
avaldivia

2.33/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into a Pint Glass.

A: Fairly clear golden color. good size head and decent lacing.

S: Some citrus and malts. Nothing really popping out or discernible.

T: Tastes like a weak East Coast IPA. Watery, not nearly enough hop presence. No real flavors coming out.

M: Light and crisp. Good carbonation.

O: Drain poured after consuming about half the bottle. I just was not a fan. I will say that as far as the Whole Foods exclusive brands go, this was the most palatable. It is in no way good, but better than the rest.

07-31-2011 15:34:37 | More by avaldivia
supernaut

2.36/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I haven't written a review in ages, but the weirdness of this beer prompted me to jot a few things down.

I have to admit, I was drawn in by can/artwork and just took a gamble, knowing nothing of this beer's ratings, brewery, or anything. There was my mistake.

From the first whiff, the beer is strange compared to anything that would normally be marketed as an IPA. I'd already regretted the choice based on smell alone.

The taste is where it all falls apart though, since it's disturbingly flat and sweet, exactly what I would never want in an IPA. While I wouldn't say the beer overall is outright terrible, since I did drink a couple to give it a chance, it is definitely not at all appropriate for the style of beer is pretends to be. Mouthfeel is meh, and there really isn't much of a redeeming quality to this one...

It's been awhile since I've been this disappointed in a beer.

12-21-2013 20:05:25 | More by supernaut
woodychandler

2.38/5  rDev -23.2%

Tone77 recently dropped this off in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and I must say, the CAN is intriguing, if nothing else. I have begun saving my spent CANs for a fellow in York Co., PA, but this is worthy of retention.

From the CAN: "Crafty Ale".

Ooh, it is nearing Hallowe'en, so I like things that are crafty at this time of year. Man, I love my Anderson Valley CAN glass since it really enables me to do an inverted Glug! The Crack really was not very special, but the inverted Glug produced two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention. The color was a beautiful copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was tea-like and I do not necessarily mean that as a bad thing. I have hop tea before and you talk about a mellow experience ... This was very mellow in terms of its hops and I was curious to begin. I need not have been. This was not very tasty, sadly. I was getting a lot of honey-like flavor, almost as if they had used lager yeast and the tea smell translated into a perfume-y cloying sweetness. Gah! It reminded me of the scent of somebody's aging grandmother. Lilacs, daisies, lilies. Phew! A travesty of the style. Finish was sweet and when was the last time that you had a sweet AIPA? I am getting ready to fold my hand and walk away from the table. Jeez, Louise.

10-27-2013 15:22:06 | More by woodychandler
RblWthACoz

2.55/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Way too many malts and not enough hops. Blah. Totally missing the mark and totally lame. I don't even want to go on with this, but I will, and will try to keep it quick. Glad I didn't buy more than a single of this. Whole Foods should quit carrying this crap. Waste of my time.

05-09-2012 03:44:53 | More by RblWthACoz
bierguru

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%

pale golden body with a white foamy head that has great head retention

bold hop smell bidnt get much citrus or floral

taste is overly hops not much citrus taste or malt for that matter

dries the mouth out a tad

not what you would expect or want from an american ipa

07-20-2011 01:34:30 | More by bierguru
TMoney2591

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Sam Adams sensory pint glass at Whole Foods - Schaumburg.

Once again, the funds aren't exactly robust, so a cheaper beer's gonna haveta do today. This one pours a clear sunset amber topped by a finger of lightly off-cream foam. The nose comprises old red apple skin, mild toffee, light pine resin, and a twinge of fresh cedar. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a decent amount of miscellaneous greenery. These forest-y bits don't help all that much, frankly. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, this IPA just didn't sit right with me. The hops are boorish and unpolished and just don't meld well at all with the malts beneath. Things just taste off, rather than old or something like that.

09-21-2013 16:45:23 | More by TMoney2591
KUmitch

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Bought this at Whole Foods because I was looking for a nice beer for the NFL Draft and it was just $6.99. Was thoroughly unimpressed. It's labelled an IPA but despite being from northern California is decidedly unhoppy and pretty flavorless. It's a good beer for the price if you're looking for a cheap beer, but if you want a good IPA look elsewhere.

04-26-2013 05:45:26 | More by KUmitch
DeltaGolfSierra

Tennessee

2.83/5  rDev -8.7%

The unique playing card label caught my eye, so I added it to my build-your-own 6 pack. The appearance was copper with a pale white head that disappeared about halfway through. Scents of grapefruit, pear, and caramel were pleasant but a bit weak. Malts came through in the taste much more than other IPAs - hops were very much in the background. This tasted more like a pilsner to me. Bready or biscuit flavors were most prominent, with subtle citrus flavors in support. Just a slight bitterness is noticed in the finish, but much less than other IPAs. The taste isn't bad, but seems very out of character for this style, so I'm deducting some points from the taste score. More emphasis on hops would greatly improve this beer.

07-21-2011 15:32:00 | More by DeltaGolfSierra
droomyster

2.83/5  rDev -8.7%

This was not undrinkable but it definitely defied my expectations of an IPA in ways that I can't forgive. The appearance and aroma are neither here nor there, but what I'm looking for in an IPA is a hop blend that is 1) more assertive than the malts 2) mult-dimensional in its flavor character and 3) pleasurable. This failed in all three regards so badly that I'm thinking it was simply a bad batch or possibly expired. I'll buy it again in a few months from a different store in order to give this beer the fairest review possible.

02-26-2013 03:44:24 | More by droomyster
legalpete19340

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Poured a mostly clear dull orange with maybe a millimeter of white head that evaporated immediately.

S: Not picking up much here. A faint floral hop note. Some apple juice. Maybe a hint of biscuit.

T: Starts with some sweetness then mild and delicate floral hops and back to apple juice. Malt dominates after that with some biscuit and as it finishes some grain a mild bitterness.

M: A fizzy and fluffy thinnish medium.

O: Mild hop and malt flavors across the board. Whats going on isnt terrible it just needs more of it.

02-05-2012 23:52:16 | More by legalpete19340
nickfl

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Pours with one finger of white foam on top of a slightly hazy, copper colored body. The head fades away quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Bready malt with a hint of toffee and some musty hops in the background.

T - Sweet malt up front with a little bit of red apple yeast character. Some light, musty hop flavor in the middle and more bread and caramel in the finish.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - Bland and unimpressive. The hop character is minimal and the malt is muddy. Not much of an IPA.

12-08-2011 02:06:20 | More by nickfl
LXIXME

New Mexico

Big off white head settles into a pretty decent lacing above a clear rich honey colored beer with a light copper hue.

A light coppery caramel malt aroma with just a hint of citrus hops sneaking in.

Light caramel malts with even lighter slightly bitter hops trying to come through in the taste.

A light almost dryish aftertaste on this medium bodied beer.

Not as much of a hop taste or aroma as I like in IPA's but I'm not the boss, so oh well.

10-29-2012 21:16:48 | More by LXIXME
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

3.1/5  rDev 0%

12 oz into brew festival mug.

A: body is slightly clear, with a good level of carbonation. Off white head retreats quickly and leaves a thin layered head. Layered pattern on the lacing.

S: Bright and amber aroma, with subtle earthy notes of hops. Medium to weak aroma for style.

T/m: Mouthfeel is nice and light, with good noble flavors, the malt takes the front seat, maybe a bit of a faded hop profile. Medium intensity of flavors.

O: This is a good and drinkable beer, one that I have been enjoying the six pack and for a good price, it makes a solid session IPA. I would not see this as a winner to recommend someone to the style.

07-26-2011 18:01:27 | More by GDBEERMAN
litheum94

3.13/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle. No dates on the label. Reviewed 7/24/11.

P: Bright and clear amber body. A rocky, off-white head that settles slowly, leaving a nice looking covering. Decent lacing.

A: Aromas of citrus (tangerine), pine and pineapple. Caramel malts and some brown sugar. Herbal, black tea aromas.

T: Very herbal at first, with flavors of black tea. Biscuit malts build the backbone. Slightly bitter citric twinge. A little bit of pine bitterness. Nice balance.

There's not too much depth here, but it is a slightly above average IPA, and for the price, it's one I'll pick up occasionally.

07-27-2011 03:51:51 | More by litheum94
beck2008

3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

Not the worst IPA in the world but by no means the best. The price was right = $6.97 at Whole Pay Check Market

A - clear copper - very little lacing, 1/2" head

S - Citrus-ish, light hops

T - Not bad, a slight bitter hop finish (for some reason I think of Simple Times Lager when I drink this). Easy drinking ale. I would say it's barely an IPA. I'd call this a Pale Ale and hesitate on calling this a classic IPA.

M - Light body

O - Not bad, not great - if you can get it for under $7 then I'd say give it a go.

Props for a cool label

01-27-2012 03:25:49 | More by beck2008
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, orangey-toned body with a frothy, near white head that steadily deflates.

Smell: Spicy-scented hops and some zesty lemongrass notes, along with a bit of grain and caramel.

Taste: Pale malts with some toasted grains and a thin sliver of sweetish caramel. Small hints of husky astringency crop up before you hit the spicy, earthy hops with minute traces of dried citrus and pine. Sufficiently bitter. The flavors fall away past mid-palate, leaving just a light bitterness/grainy taste that slowly drags out past the soft-feeling finish.

Mouthfeel: Falls just shy of medium-bodied. Medium carbonation with a soft, suds-like character.

Overall: It's got some unrefined elements to it that, while not leaving it harsh exactly, does leave the beer a bit off-key. I'd recommend just plunking a couple extra ratty-looking bucks on the counter and getting something (potentially far more) better.

10-30-2011 23:05:04 | More by ChainGangGuy
Luigi

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours out a hazy orange with a healthy looking white head that settles down to a thick lace around the glass. Retention is good because the lace last till end of IPA.

The aroma is very malty. Not a whole lot of hops to go around as this style calls for. I understand balance, but if you are going to label this as an AIPA than it must live up to those hops.

The taste is about the same. Bread malt, some sweet alcohol, and there is a hint of the hop that does balance the sweetness.

Medium bodied, lightly carbonated, and is easy to drink.

Overall if this were an English IPA is would grade it higher. Maybe that was the point. But, for an American IPA the hop is too weak. Otherwise, it is a good ale.

01-31-2012 01:55:22 | More by Luigi