2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

DieselPunk IPA - World Brews

DieselPunk IPADieselPunk IPA

World Brews visit their website

(Beer added by: tdm168 on 04-23-2013)
View: Beers (82) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 58 | Reviews: 14 | Show All Ratings:
GreenPea

2.86/5  rDev -2.7%

So so but nothing more. I don't think this brew is quite as bad as others but I won't buy it again.

On the pour... it has a hazy copper color but nothing that says this is beautiful.

The head.... this is a weak spot IMHO. It's flat and dissipates quickly. Lacing literally disappears immediately.

Smell.... It has been hopped but the nose is not obvious. I get honey and muted pineapple juice but that's reaching on the pineapple.

Taste... the finish has a cheap feel and comes off amateurish. I had no problem finishing this beer but it didn't make me feel like pouring another.

Overall.... well it's another beer that I've tried but I won't bother with it again. I was thirsty and this served it's purpose but that's where it end with this brew. I think it's tolerable but I wouldn't tip my hat to the cook.

03-23-2014 22:28:19 | More by GreenPea
Brenden

3.26/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The look is nice. It pours clear and ends up with a slight chill haze and lots of clarity, though it just barely leans toward translucency due simply its darker amber-orange color. The yellow-tinted head reaches two fingers and shows a solidness. It's dense and craggy, settling firm once it's dropped to one finger and dropping no more aside from plenty of patchy lacing.
The aroma is mostly fruity, sweet more than bitter with some caramel malts and maybe a bready undertone. Honey is up front and a chalkiness way underneath but there. Citrus is part of the sweetness and a slight pith to that aspect speaks some of hops, but it seems malt-forward on the nose. The smell fades with time.
Bitterness does come forward on the palate with notes of pine and citrus, pith coming in after with a chalkiness that gives a slight astringency in the finish. Why it's so malty in the nose and hoppy (not extremely, by any means) on the tongue is a mystery. The finish lingers with pine, orange peel, and a slight tinge of that astringent note.
Mouthfeel isn't bad. The body is medium, crispness bites firmly, and it starts smooth. The smoothness does fade out in the end as the carbonation turns more prickly.

03-12-2014 13:10:43 | More by Brenden
jokelahoma

Missouri

1.66/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pinto shaker at home

Pours a clean, hazy copper. Huge, rocky, ice cream float type head.

Aroma is very faint. There's a hint of chalk in the nose, almost a baking soda type aroma. it's lightly metallic as well. Could it be... oh lordie, yes it is. Made by the same folks who make the hideous Tap Room 21 brews. This does not bode well.

The taste is a hint of hop, followed almost immediately by a dishwashing liquid flavor. Seriously heavy "Palmolive" thing going on here. I can't get past it, in fact. If there is anything else in the flavor of this beer, I can't find it, and believe me I'm looking pretty hard. I want to find something positive to write about. But sip after sip, it's soapy soap soap. I save "1" ratings for beers that have gone bad, usually. This isn't spoiled, it's just not anywhere close to a well made beer. Metallic and soapy are not descriptions you find for any beer style. Yuck.

The mouthfeel is light, but with an oiliness that is out of place. It's worse than that, as it causes the flavor to stay in your mouth longer.

Sad to say, this one was a drain pour. If I used soap on my beer glasses, I'd be convinced it was my fault for not rinsing one, and buy another of these beers. As I don't, added with what I know about this brewing project (I'm hesitant to call them a brewery at this point), I'm certain the fault is in the beer. Just bad. This appears to be one of those "hey, craft beers are getting big, let's put a lot of money into packaging and throw some beers out there as quickly as possible so we can get in on this!" projects. No proof of that, of course, but if this is a serious brewery, they have a lot of work to do to even find the golf course, let alone get up to par. Stay way away from this one, in spite of the cool looking can.

03-09-2014 01:41:07 | More by jokelahoma
DeFaz

1.86/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

If they didn't call it an IPA I would have never guessed. The beer pours a light orange color with a short head that recedes quickly, leaving spotty lacing. It smells of aluminum and cough medicine--definitely none of the pine or citrus flavors I'm used, and the smell suggests that nothing in this is fresh. The taste consists of chemical fruit adjuncts and a touch of bread. The mouthfeel is overly thin, with low carbonation, and a horrible aftertaste. Overall, this wins the award for the worst IPA I've had. It's really bad.

01-16-2014 03:46:09 | More by DeFaz
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

3.01/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Never heard of these guys, but apparently they’re the same brewery that produced Big Flats (AKA the Walgreens beer). Here’s hoping we get a little more quality than that!

A: Translucent, burnt-orange body, topped by a fizzy white head with almost no retention. Lots of lacing, though, appearing in globs around the glass.

S: Honey and fruity cereal grain, with a character that’s dimmed like an IPA that’s been on the shelves for too long. Hop scents are interesting, though, with a minty overtone and subtle lemon-lime.

T: Bitter with a certain smack of medicinal astringency, with tastes of tea, basil, pine, and brine; intense, but not entirely palatable. Malts, though they’re a large part of the palate, contribute mostly artificial caramel and honey flavors with a crisp note of toasted white bread. Finishes peppery and dry with an unfortunate note of stale grain.

M: Goes down slick, but with decent heft to the body. Light carbonation.

O: Decent, mildly palatable beer – might be good to give to someone just getting into craft. Both the malt and hop profiles seem off, but the overall palate isn’t that offensive.

11-03-2013 02:56:43 | More by BarryMFBurton
Xalkalinex

Georgia

2.41/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Aroma: slight citrus, hoppy smell.

Taste: hoppy with a hint of grapefruit citrus. A bit like Sierra nevada's torpedo, but with less hops, but very bitter none the less.

Feel: okay carbonation, slight, very slight, oily feel

Look: it's all about taste in my book baby, but... I'll tell you anyway. Beautiful honey color with a fingers width head when poured, no noticeable lacing.

Overall, it's an okay beer... I am not a big fan of an overly hoppy beer, but this one is bearable. It's not as harsh as Sierra Nevada's torpedo, but I also feel and taste the lack of the hops used. Really would not call this an IPA, but it's no a beer I regret buying.

10-13-2013 01:10:02 | More by Xalkalinex
IPA_OR_NOTHING

Nebraska

2.08/5  rDev -29.3%

I do not know what the brewers at Dieselpunk are thinking or not but this is a far cry from being called an IPA. The most I give it is better than average marks on color coming off with a nice golden-honey color. It poured nicely into my glass with a very good effervescent bubble action and that is about where the good ends. I quick inhale through the nasal passages and I stopped. Nothing. No hint of a hop scent. So I tried again and pulled in the aroma through mouth and nose as deep a pull as my lungs could manage, still nothing. Without tasting it I knew the flavor would not hold up as an IPA and I was not wrong. This beer comes off as a bitter pale ale. I just get the feeling the brewers tried to skimp on the hops, granted this is just a single IPA but still there is no citrus smell, no grapefruit taste, and the bitterness falls flat before it reaches the back of my mouth.

09-02-2013 22:28:07 | More by IPA_OR_NOTHING
WVbeergeek

3.76/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I never expect much out of some of these exclusive Kroger brands that show up, I'm pleasantly surprised by this can and the canned 16 ounce pounder cans of the porter as well. First of the appearance is great it looks like a craft brewed IPA the can protects these beers from the light decently very fresh zesty hops come out in the nose. The amber body has a slightly off white head forming thick smells of cluster hops with citrus and which already beats most beers they have offered over the years. Flavor is hoppy in a hop pellet sort of way, but it's approachable and drinkable for all beer drinkers out there. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied but really flows nicely with a even flowing carbonation. I'm quite impressed that there is enough flavor to keep me interested and it's approachable for all beer drinker's alike.

08-18-2013 16:37:47 | More by WVbeergeek
JeffBo

Georgia

2.96/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - nice golden color, about an SRM of 6..

Smell - little hop traces but not real noticeable..

Taste - slightly citrusy, initially tastes of a more generic beer, bitter towards the end.

Mouthfeel - seemingly wet up front and dry towards the end, little harsh in the middle

As far as a cost effective IPA, It's ok ($5.88 a 4 pack), I have certainly paid more than double/triple the amount for poorer beer. Not sure what it is about beer brewed in this area, but I don't have a taste for many of these. It disappoints me because I'm from upstate NY and wish there were better tasting beer from my home state. (maybe its the water?)

I did contribute by uploading a picture of the can against some hops I'm attempting the grow here in GA...hope it gets selected!

Not a bad beer, but likely won't buy this one again....I will try the others they make though to give the co a fair run. As one reviewer stated, maybe a good transition beer for someone who likes mainstream beer and wants to move to an IPA .... This is what it reminded me of.

07-14-2013 18:38:07 | More by JeffBo
patpbr

2.99/5  rDev +1.7%

Drinking from the 16 oz can so appearance is only artwork. Smell has some hops and malt, not great from an IPA. Starts malty and a little sweet, moves on to a hoppy taste. Slightly medium body with a dry bitter finish. Only wanting to make one stop I bought it with my groceries. Would maybe recommend this to someone just getting into the style.

07-10-2013 03:45:28 | More by patpbr
screamking

3.35/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16oz can poured into wine glass.

Pours light apricot with a very even 1.5 inch white head. Some lacing hanging around after the head vanishes. The aroma is rather light but there is some grapefruit and a wild tropical cocktail mix. The taste is really light. The hops are there, but for an IPA seem rather tame. Quite a watery feel also, almost taste like this should have a lot lower ABV than 6.9%. For what its worth it tastes a lot better out of the can. I picked up a four-pack of tall boys for 6.99, Great price point. I've had a lot worse IPA's for a lot more money. You can pick it up at any Kroger, so in a pinch, for a pool party it works just fine.

06-14-2013 01:40:27 | More by screamking
Beerpatrol

Missouri

2.43/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: It looks pretty good, it came out of a very cool looking can with what appears to be some sort of Rocketeer logo knockoff. The appearance was deep golden in the pour and looked light amber in the glass with a healthy head.

Smell: Nothing remarkable, smelled like a wanna-be citrusy IPA, but came off a bit less robust. A weak fart would garner more attention from red-blooded male than this beer could.

Taste: Astringent up front and barely a malty finish to follow. A few more forced sips and it just started to taste like sweet water. Whatever hops they used, they aren't enough to flavor the beer. The bitterness keeps hitting as astringent instead of flavorful.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is somewhat pleasant, the head kind of froths at the back of the mouth. When I keep drinking this it's like a low tide at the beach hitting my throat.

Overall: This beer's first taste was just too harsh. All the excitement from a cool looking 16 oz. can and a pretty pour was decimated by this beer's flavor. The smell is virtually non-existent, which is sad for an I.P.A. It's a cheap Kroger brand beer and I got a 4 pack for less than 7 bucks. I'll finish the 4 pack and never buy it again.

06-06-2013 03:02:37 | More by Beerpatrol
Goldopelgt

3.61/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a coppery orange color from a tall-boy can...thick, fairly tall (thanks to a somewhat overly aggressive pour) white-ish head with some decent lacing on the glass.

S: Citrus hops and pine up front with a sweet maltiness that follows...not much else going on, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

T: Piney, citrusy hops that are balanced well with some bready, sweet malts...nothing overpowers, very well balanced...

M: Medium bodied (at best) with a decent amount of carbonation...slight piney bitterness hangs on the palate, ever so briefly.

O: As a hop head, this beer, for my personal tastes, leaves something to be desired. Don't get me wrong, by no means is this a 'bad' beer. In fact, it's pretty damn good, but I found myself wanting just a little more hoppiness with every sip. The artwork alone makes this an interesting brew, definitely would recommend it, but just try and remind yourself that simplicity, when done well, can be very good. Cheers!

05-15-2013 06:59:28 | More by Goldopelgt
tdm168

3.35/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A - clear, golden orange with a huge, dense, off white head that has good retention

S - faint citrus and faint pine

T - faint malty presence, faint citrus, some grains, big piney bitterness in the finish

M - medium bodied, some alcohol warmth, well carbonated

This isn't all that bad for a cheap, Kroger-only beer from World Brews. It definitely drinks better from the can than it does from a glass. It has some of what hop heads crave though the flavor isn't all that impressive. This will definitely leave you wanting more, but it was alright to try once.

04-23-2013 23:43:58 | More by tdm168