DieselPunk IPA - World Brews

Beer added by: tdm168 on 04-23-2013

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 136 | Reviews: 36
2.3/5  rDev -22.8%

its not very good. it came all the way across the US so somebody out there likes it... glad I only got one

2.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Read the reviews first. How bad could it really be? It's really not good. This didn't taste like an ipa, but rather like a stale strong ale. Maybe it was stale. I'm not buying another to find out, though. Good abv in consolation.

3.06/5  rDev +2.7%

[begin edit]
Okay, I have had a couple more bottles from the six pack and it isn't as bad as I had previously maintained. I have moved it from 1.5 to 3.0.
[end edit]
Not only is this the worst IPA I've ever had, this is one of the worst beers that I've ever had. I am really angry at myself for buying a 6-pack. As soon as I opened the bottle and smelled it, I knew I was not in for a treat.

3.37/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

It was ok. Nothing exceptional. Was hoping for more

3.77/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I rated this beer a little high based on its appearance and taste.

2.01/5  rDev -32.6%

Look: Pours clear copper brown

Smell: Somewhat dank with notes of toasted biscuit and caramel.

Taste: Mildly bitter with predominant caramel flavor, would expect this more with an amber ale. Finishes with a metallic taste. Also some notes of toast and a little bit of citrus at the end.

Feel: Appropriately carbonated, some good bitterness.

Overall: Not very good. Tastes like a bad, bitter amber ale to me. Will not be buying this in the future.

2.07/5  rDev -30.5%

Not a good ipa or taste in my eyes

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Uninspired, non-descript, run of the mill IPA? Smell was nice, but downhill once it makes it's way over lips and past the gums.

3.05/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Dispenses a clear, coppery body with an inch of whitish head yielding a bit of lacing.

Smell: Pale maltiness, touches of toasted grains, a small lick of caramel. Herb, spice and lemon from the hops, but this all is pretty mild, too.

Taste: Pale malts, lightly grainy with some candied, sugary notes, but, it's acceptable. Light lemony citrus and spicy hops impart a restrained level of bitterness, leaving it on the mild end of the spectrum. Upon warming, a little harsh solventy hint begins to show and holds through the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Not particularly good and the cracks start to show as it warms.

2.32/5  rDev -22.1%

Doesn't really tast like an IPA, it taste more like a lager

4.4/5  rDev +47.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

this was a smooth and very good to me.

1.5/5  rDev -49.7%

Beerchitects review is dead on!

With, give or take a few, about a billion IPA on the market, brewers are heavily challenged to put flavorful and hop-forward ale on the market and to do so with competitive advantages. Made for large supermarket chains, the price-point and attractive 16oz can seems like a bargain! ...at first.

Its bright clarity and deep amber hues attract the eye as a billowing off-white foam greets the rim. Aromas of caramel and toasted grain greet the nose, along with a stern grassy and citrus whiff. As its sweetness and toast layers on the tongue, those citrus and stem hop flavors follow closely behind.

Perhaps more balanced than hop-heads prefer, the middle palate retains much of the beer's grain sweetness, steering toward caramel, pecan and cola. The peels of white grapefruit, under-ripened orange, and a berry-like twang give an acute pang to the palate ahead of its dry and resiny bitterness.

While growing bitterness eventually take command of the taste, the bulk of the beer's body calms but leaves a cola-like stickiness to linger underneath the hop's resins and vegetal spice.

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

I'll will not bore the readers of this site with the little I do know about tasting a good beer, but I have to say that this is my favorite I.P.A so far. Am I crazy to note a hint of mint in this beer?

2.53/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: This poured a clear dark gold with moderate white head.
S: It smelled like sweet caramel and sticky toffee, with a little honey biscuit.
T: It tasted like caramel and earthy biscuit malt, with a little sweet honey. It had a dirty sweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a terrible IPA. The scent and taste were more like a brown ale. The body wasn't great either, and the finish wasn't very clean. All around poor brew.

2.68/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured nice into the pint glass. Doesn't have the mouth feel of an IPA. Has a bit of a metallic aftertaste, but I've had much worse. It'll get you drunk. Have it with something salty. The marketing is probably the main reason people try this one at all. Overall, it's underwhelming. As it was on sale, I'm not too broken up about buying it. Wouldn't bother with it again.

2.99/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - nice looking golden/orange pour, a finger of stick and creamy foam. Nice legs as well. A touch cloudy, otherwise pretty nice!

Aroma - soapy, hoppy, some caramel, a solventy thing going on. Not bad, just starts out busy and ends up mostly caramel.

Taste - citrus, mango perhaps. Sweet malts, seemingly a bit unattenuated or some sugar added after fermentation? A little breathy/solvent again with the alcohol, tastes boozier than the 6.9% would suggest. Alcohol heat in the finish, disrupting what should be a nice drying bitterness.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly and burp-inducing. Medium body, decent smoothness.

Overall - purchased after seeing on the shelf so many times. with the competition in this style, not one I'd repeat.

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

DieselPunk IPA from World Brews, given as a birthday gift by my big sister as tribute to my love of punk rock music. 80's hardcore punk mainly. ANYWAYS, poured from the bottle into a glass, DieselPunk's got a 2.5 finger thick head, clear medium-brown body, and decent lacing. It looks appealing enough.

I don't smell much of the usual IPA characteristics such as pine or grapefruit scents. More of a zesty,zippy kind of smell.

It tastes bitter, but still just not in the context of a common IPA. This is unique to say the least. I get a zest,zippy taste on my tongue as it goes down. For being 6.9% ABV, it doesn't have a whole lot of alcohol "oomph" to it. Which I like.

Moutfeel is lighter and crisp for the most part. Clean finish. Decent job executed.

Overall a 3.5 for DieselPunk IPA from World Brews. The extra quarter point was added because, I mean, this IS quite a unique brew. It wasn't so different that I would choose it over a more "normal" tasting IPA. I'll get this another time to show my fellow craft buddies that not all IPAs are created equally.

3.22/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear amber color with 1 finger head that dissipated into a thin layer of bubbles that lasted throughout, moderate lacing.

SMELL: flowery and sweet honey, a little pepper.

TASTE: sweet honey, then a mild hop profile that is somewhat metallic tasting, the alcohol 6.9% is well hidden.

PALATE: medium carbonation and medium body.

OVERALL: this beer looked and smelled better than it tasted. It was drinkable but I would definitely not buy this again.

3.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Thick, creamy, frothy head sitting atop a hazy, amber-colored body. Wet hay and overripe fruit smell. The taste strongly comes across as grapefruit; sour, tart, bitter. Medium bodied; coarse feel; dry.

Another beer that doesn't live up to the initial appearance and scent. Harsh and unbalanced flavors, a bit metallic, sporting some diacetyls and phenols in the mix. Starts strong in appearance, but taste and mouthfeel don't live up to the promise.

3.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Clear amber colored ale with a tall white colored head.

Smells herbal and mainly of tobacco. Strong tea and faint wood.

Starts out dry and woody. Mildly bitter. Little bit of tobacco taste.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall pretty basic no brand IPA. Don't expect much from this one.

2.99/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance-Nice goldenCopper hue, head foamed nicely, with some lacing, not overly carbonated, lost the head a little too soon

Smell-faintly hoppy, with a clean, almost outdoor scent. Fresh

Taste- Not bitter up front, but a little a the back of the tongue and throat. Very pleasant, not overly done.

Mouthfeel-bright and crisp, just right amount of carbonation,

Overall, an average middle of the road IPA, handles spicy foods well, with a good cleansing affect.
I am not a huge IPA fan but I would order this one again…especially by itself.

2.88/5  rDev -3.4%

So so but nothing more. I don't think this brew is quite as bad as others but I won't buy it again.

On the pour... it has a hazy copper color but nothing that says this is beautiful.

The head.... this is a weak spot IMHO. It's flat and dissipates quickly. Lacing literally disappears immediately.

Smell.... It has been hopped but the nose is not obvious. I get honey and muted pineapple juice but that's reaching on the pineapple.

Taste... the finish has a cheap feel and comes off amateurish. I had no problem finishing this beer but it didn't make me feel like pouring another.

Overall.... well it's another beer that I've tried but I won't bother with it again. I was thirsty and this served it's purpose but that's where it end with this brew. I think it's tolerable but I wouldn't tip my hat to the cook.

3.26/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The look is nice. It pours clear and ends up with a slight chill haze and lots of clarity, though it just barely leans toward translucency due simply its darker amber-orange color. The yellow-tinted head reaches two fingers and shows a solidness. It's dense and craggy, settling firm once it's dropped to one finger and dropping no more aside from plenty of patchy lacing.
The aroma is mostly fruity, sweet more than bitter with some caramel malts and maybe a bready undertone. Honey is up front and a chalkiness way underneath but there. Citrus is part of the sweetness and a slight pith to that aspect speaks some of hops, but it seems malt-forward on the nose. The smell fades with time.
Bitterness does come forward on the palate with notes of pine and citrus, pith coming in after with a chalkiness that gives a slight astringency in the finish. Why it's so malty in the nose and hoppy (not extremely, by any means) on the tongue is a mystery. The finish lingers with pine, orange peel, and a slight tinge of that astringent note.
Mouthfeel isn't bad. The body is medium, crispness bites firmly, and it starts smooth. The smoothness does fade out in the end as the carbonation turns more prickly.

1.73/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pinto shaker at home

Pours a clean, hazy copper. Huge, rocky, ice cream float type head.

Aroma is very faint. There's a hint of chalk in the nose, almost a baking soda type aroma. it's lightly metallic as well. Could it be... oh lordie, yes it is. Made by the same folks who make the hideous Tap Room 21 brews. This does not bode well.

The taste is a hint of hop, followed almost immediately by a dishwashing liquid flavor. Seriously heavy "Palmolive" thing going on here. I can't get past it, in fact. If there is anything else in the flavor of this beer, I can't find it, and believe me I'm looking pretty hard. I want to find something positive to write about. But sip after sip, it's soapy soap soap. I save "1" ratings for beers that have gone bad, usually. This isn't spoiled, it's just not anywhere close to a well made beer. Metallic and soapy are not descriptions you find for any beer style. Yuck.

The mouthfeel is light, but with an oiliness that is out of place. It's worse than that, as it causes the flavor to stay in your mouth longer.

Sad to say, this one was a drain pour. If I used soap on my beer glasses, I'd be convinced it was my fault for not rinsing one, and buy another of these beers. As I don't, added with what I know about this brewing project (I'm hesitant to call them a brewery at this point), I'm certain the fault is in the beer. Just bad. This appears to be one of those "hey, craft beers are getting big, let's put a lot of money into packaging and throw some beers out there as quickly as possible so we can get in on this!" projects. No proof of that, of course, but if this is a serious brewery, they have a lot of work to do to even find the golf course, let alone get up to par. Stay way away from this one, in spite of the cool looking can.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »