Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

DieselPunk IPA - World Brews

DieselPunk IPADieselPunk IPA

World Brews visit their website

Beer added by: tdm168 on 04-23-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.76/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Color and head, along with aroma seem way off to what the style should be. I see that they brew for supermarkets, walgreens, etc. so I am assuming that they brew a cheap, quick brew to make a few bucks. Heavy malt backbones with the IPA and not very good. Malt is flat and hops take a back seat, even of they are there??

2.55/5  rDev -13%

Look: Decent, clear copper color.

Smell: Oxidized, malty aroma. Not much, if any hop aroma.

Taste: This tastes like an IPA that has sat around in the bottle for about 2 to 3 years. Most definitely oxidized, although it is actually drinkable. Some decent hop flavor in addition to oxidation. Don't expect a typical West Coast American hop bomb.

Feel: Medium mouthfeel.

Overall: The beer is actually drinkable, but this is not a typical IPA. It appears that the brewer has purposely introduced oxygen somewhere int he process. I think a new style -- Old American IPA -- should be invented for this beer.

2.73/5  rDev -6.8%

Read the reviews first. How bad could it really be? It's really not good. This didn't taste like an ipa, but rather like a stale strong ale. Maybe it was stale. I'm not buying another to find out, though. Good abv in consolation.

3.06/5  rDev +4.4%

[begin edit]
Okay, I have had a couple more bottles from the six pack and it isn't as bad as I had previously maintained. I have moved it from 1.5 to 3.0.
[end edit]
Not only is this the worst IPA I've ever had, this is one of the worst beers that I've ever had. I am really angry at myself for buying a 6-pack. As soon as I opened the bottle and smelled it, I knew I was not in for a treat.

2.01/5  rDev -31.4%

Look: Pours clear copper brown

Smell: Somewhat dank with notes of toasted biscuit and caramel.

Taste: Mildly bitter with predominant caramel flavor, would expect this more with an amber ale. Finishes with a metallic taste. Also some notes of toast and a little bit of citrus at the end.

Feel: Appropriately carbonated, some good bitterness.

Overall: Not very good. Tastes like a bad, bitter amber ale to me. Will not be buying this in the future.

3.05/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Dispenses a clear, coppery body with an inch of whitish head yielding a bit of lacing.

Smell: Pale maltiness, touches of toasted grains, a small lick of caramel. Herb, spice and lemon from the hops, but this all is pretty mild, too.

Taste: Pale malts, lightly grainy with some candied, sugary notes, but, it's acceptable. Light lemony citrus and spicy hops impart a restrained level of bitterness, leaving it on the mild end of the spectrum. Upon warming, a little harsh solventy hint begins to show and holds through the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Not particularly good and the cracks start to show as it warms.

With, give or take a few, about a billion IPA on the market, brewers are heavily challenged to put flavorful and hop-forward ale on the market and to do so with competitive advantages. Made for large supermarket chains, the price-point and attractive 16oz can seems like a bargain! ...at first.

Its bright clarity and deep amber hues attract the eye as a billowing off-white foam greets the rim. Aromas of caramel and toasted grain greet the nose, along with a stern grassy and citrus whiff. As its sweetness and toast layers on the tongue, those citrus and stem hop flavors follow closely behind.

Perhaps more balanced than hop-heads prefer, the middle palate retains much of the beer's grain sweetness, steering toward caramel, pecan and cola. The peels of white grapefruit, under-ripened orange, and a berry-like twang give an acute pang to the palate ahead of its dry and resiny bitterness.

While growing bitterness eventually take command of the taste, the bulk of the beer's body calms but leaves a cola-like stickiness to linger underneath the hop's resins and vegetal spice.

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

I'll will not bore the readers of this site with the little I do know about tasting a good beer, but I have to say that this is my favorite I.P.A so far. Am I crazy to note a hint of mint in this beer?

2.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: This poured a clear dark gold with moderate white head.
S: It smelled like sweet caramel and sticky toffee, with a little honey biscuit.
T: It tasted like caramel and earthy biscuit malt, with a little sweet honey. It had a dirty sweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a terrible IPA. The scent and taste were more like a brown ale. The body wasn't great either, and the finish wasn't very clean. All around poor brew.

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured nice into the pint glass. Doesn't have the mouth feel of an IPA. Has a bit of a metallic aftertaste, but I've had much worse. It'll get you drunk. Have it with something salty. The marketing is probably the main reason people try this one at all. Overall, it's underwhelming. As it was on sale, I'm not too broken up about buying it. Wouldn't bother with it again.

2.99/5  rDev +2%

Appearance - nice looking golden/orange pour, a finger of stick and creamy foam. Nice legs as well. A touch cloudy, otherwise pretty nice!

Aroma - soapy, hoppy, some caramel, a solventy thing going on. Not bad, just starts out busy and ends up mostly caramel.

Taste - citrus, mango perhaps. Sweet malts, seemingly a bit unattenuated or some sugar added after fermentation? A little breathy/solvent again with the alcohol, tastes boozier than the 6.9% would suggest. Alcohol heat in the finish, disrupting what should be a nice drying bitterness.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly and burp-inducing. Medium body, decent smoothness.

Overall - purchased after seeing on the shelf so many times. with the competition in this style, not one I'd repeat.

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

DieselPunk IPA from World Brews, given as a birthday gift by my big sister as tribute to my love of punk rock music. 80's hardcore punk mainly. ANYWAYS, poured from the bottle into a glass, DieselPunk's got a 2.5 finger thick head, clear medium-brown body, and decent lacing. It looks appealing enough.

I don't smell much of the usual IPA characteristics such as pine or grapefruit scents. More of a zesty,zippy kind of smell.

It tastes bitter, but still just not in the context of a common IPA. This is unique to say the least. I get a zest,zippy taste on my tongue as it goes down. For being 6.9% ABV, it doesn't have a whole lot of alcohol "oomph" to it. Which I like.

Moutfeel is lighter and crisp for the most part. Clean finish. Decent job executed.

Overall a 3.5 for DieselPunk IPA from World Brews. The extra quarter point was added because, I mean, this IS quite a unique brew. It wasn't so different that I would choose it over a more "normal" tasting IPA. I'll get this another time to show my fellow craft buddies that not all IPAs are created equally.

3.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear amber color with 1 finger head that dissipated into a thin layer of bubbles that lasted throughout, moderate lacing.

SMELL: flowery and sweet honey, a little pepper.

TASTE: sweet honey, then a mild hop profile that is somewhat metallic tasting, the alcohol 6.9% is well hidden.

PALATE: medium carbonation and medium body.

OVERALL: this beer looked and smelled better than it tasted. It was drinkable but I would definitely not buy this again.

3.17/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Thick, creamy, frothy head sitting atop a hazy, amber-colored body. Wet hay and overripe fruit smell. The taste strongly comes across as grapefruit; sour, tart, bitter. Medium bodied; coarse feel; dry.

Another beer that doesn't live up to the initial appearance and scent. Harsh and unbalanced flavors, a bit metallic, sporting some diacetyls and phenols in the mix. Starts strong in appearance, but taste and mouthfeel don't live up to the promise.

3.02/5  rDev +3.1%

Clear amber colored ale with a tall white colored head.

Smells herbal and mainly of tobacco. Strong tea and faint wood.

Starts out dry and woody. Mildly bitter. Little bit of tobacco taste.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall pretty basic no brand IPA. Don't expect much from this one.

2.99/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance-Nice goldenCopper hue, head foamed nicely, with some lacing, not overly carbonated, lost the head a little too soon

Smell-faintly hoppy, with a clean, almost outdoor scent. Fresh

Taste- Not bitter up front, but a little a the back of the tongue and throat. Very pleasant, not overly done.

Mouthfeel-bright and crisp, just right amount of carbonation,

Overall, an average middle of the road IPA, handles spicy foods well, with a good cleansing affect.
I am not a huge IPA fan but I would order this one again…especially by itself.

2.88/5  rDev -1.7%

So so but nothing more. I don't think this brew is quite as bad as others but I won't buy it again.

On the pour... it has a hazy copper color but nothing that says this is beautiful.

The head.... this is a weak spot IMHO. It's flat and dissipates quickly. Lacing literally disappears immediately.

Smell.... It has been hopped but the nose is not obvious. I get honey and muted pineapple juice but that's reaching on the pineapple.

Taste... the finish has a cheap feel and comes off amateurish. I had no problem finishing this beer but it didn't make me feel like pouring another.

Overall.... well it's another beer that I've tried but I won't bother with it again. I was thirsty and this served it's purpose but that's where it end with this brew. I think it's tolerable but I wouldn't tip my hat to the cook.

3.26/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The look is nice. It pours clear and ends up with a slight chill haze and lots of clarity, though it just barely leans toward translucency due simply its darker amber-orange color. The yellow-tinted head reaches two fingers and shows a solidness. It's dense and craggy, settling firm once it's dropped to one finger and dropping no more aside from plenty of patchy lacing.
The aroma is mostly fruity, sweet more than bitter with some caramel malts and maybe a bready undertone. Honey is up front and a chalkiness way underneath but there. Citrus is part of the sweetness and a slight pith to that aspect speaks some of hops, but it seems malt-forward on the nose. The smell fades with time.
Bitterness does come forward on the palate with notes of pine and citrus, pith coming in after with a chalkiness that gives a slight astringency in the finish. Why it's so malty in the nose and hoppy (not extremely, by any means) on the tongue is a mystery. The finish lingers with pine, orange peel, and a slight tinge of that astringent note.
Mouthfeel isn't bad. The body is medium, crispness bites firmly, and it starts smooth. The smoothness does fade out in the end as the carbonation turns more prickly.

1.73/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pinto shaker at home

Pours a clean, hazy copper. Huge, rocky, ice cream float type head.

Aroma is very faint. There's a hint of chalk in the nose, almost a baking soda type aroma. it's lightly metallic as well. Could it be... oh lordie, yes it is. Made by the same folks who make the hideous Tap Room 21 brews. This does not bode well.

The taste is a hint of hop, followed almost immediately by a dishwashing liquid flavor. Seriously heavy "Palmolive" thing going on here. I can't get past it, in fact. If there is anything else in the flavor of this beer, I can't find it, and believe me I'm looking pretty hard. I want to find something positive to write about. But sip after sip, it's soapy soap soap. I save "1" ratings for beers that have gone bad, usually. This isn't spoiled, it's just not anywhere close to a well made beer. Metallic and soapy are not descriptions you find for any beer style. Yuck.

The mouthfeel is light, but with an oiliness that is out of place. It's worse than that, as it causes the flavor to stay in your mouth longer.

Sad to say, this one was a drain pour. If I used soap on my beer glasses, I'd be convinced it was my fault for not rinsing one, and buy another of these beers. As I don't, added with what I know about this brewing project (I'm hesitant to call them a brewery at this point), I'm certain the fault is in the beer. Just bad. This appears to be one of those "hey, craft beers are getting big, let's put a lot of money into packaging and throw some beers out there as quickly as possible so we can get in on this!" projects. No proof of that, of course, but if this is a serious brewery, they have a lot of work to do to even find the golf course, let alone get up to par. Stay way away from this one, in spite of the cool looking can.

1.87/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

If they didn't call it an IPA I would have never guessed. The beer pours a light orange color with a short head that recedes quickly, leaving spotty lacing. It smells of aluminum and cough medicine--definitely none of the pine or citrus flavors I'm used, and the smell suggests that nothing in this is fresh. The taste consists of chemical fruit adjuncts and a touch of bread. The mouthfeel is overly thin, with low carbonation, and a horrible aftertaste. Overall, this wins the award for the worst IPA I've had. It's really bad.

3.02/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Never heard of these guys, but apparently they’re the same brewery that produced Big Flats (AKA the Walgreens beer). Here’s hoping we get a little more quality than that!

A: Translucent, burnt-orange body, topped by a fizzy white head with almost no retention. Lots of lacing, though, appearing in globs around the glass.

S: Honey and fruity cereal grain, with a character that’s dimmed like an IPA that’s been on the shelves for too long. Hop scents are interesting, though, with a minty overtone and subtle lemon-lime.

T: Bitter with a certain smack of medicinal astringency, with tastes of tea, basil, pine, and brine; intense, but not entirely palatable. Malts, though they’re a large part of the palate, contribute mostly artificial caramel and honey flavors with a crisp note of toasted white bread. Finishes peppery and dry with an unfortunate note of stale grain.

M: Goes down slick, but with decent heft to the body. Light carbonation.

O: Decent, mildly palatable beer – might be good to give to someone just getting into craft. Both the malt and hop profiles seem off, but the overall palate isn’t that offensive.

2.45/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Aroma: slight citrus, hoppy smell.

Taste: hoppy with a hint of grapefruit citrus. A bit like Sierra nevada's torpedo, but with less hops, but very bitter none the less.

Feel: okay carbonation, slight, very slight, oily feel

Look: it's all about taste in my book baby, but... I'll tell you anyway. Beautiful honey color with a fingers width head when poured, no noticeable lacing.

Overall, it's an okay beer... I am not a big fan of an overly hoppy beer, but this one is bearable. It's not as harsh as Sierra Nevada's torpedo, but I also feel and taste the lack of the hops used. Really would not call this an IPA, but it's no a beer I regret buying.

2.09/5  rDev -28.7%

I do not know what the brewers at Dieselpunk are thinking or not but this is a far cry from being called an IPA. The most I give it is better than average marks on color coming off with a nice golden-honey color. It poured nicely into my glass with a very good effervescent bubble action and that is about where the good ends. I quick inhale through the nasal passages and I stopped. Nothing. No hint of a hop scent. So I tried again and pulled in the aroma through mouth and nose as deep a pull as my lungs could manage, still nothing. Without tasting it I knew the flavor would not hold up as an IPA and I was not wrong. This beer comes off as a bitter pale ale. I just get the feeling the brewers tried to skimp on the hops, granted this is just a single IPA but still there is no citrus smell, no grapefruit taste, and the bitterness falls flat before it reaches the back of my mouth.

3.77/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I never expect much out of some of these exclusive Kroger brands that show up, I'm pleasantly surprised by this can and the canned 16 ounce pounder cans of the porter as well. First of the appearance is great it looks like a craft brewed IPA the can protects these beers from the light decently very fresh zesty hops come out in the nose. The amber body has a slightly off white head forming thick smells of cluster hops with citrus and which already beats most beers they have offered over the years. Flavor is hoppy in a hop pellet sort of way, but it's approachable and drinkable for all beer drinkers out there. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied but really flows nicely with a even flowing carbonation. I'm quite impressed that there is enough flavor to keep me interested and it's approachable for all beer drinker's alike.

2.94/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - nice golden color, about an SRM of 6..

Smell - little hop traces but not real noticeable..

Taste - slightly citrusy, initially tastes of a more generic beer, bitter towards the end.

Mouthfeel - seemingly wet up front and dry towards the end, little harsh in the middle

As far as a cost effective IPA, It's ok ($5.88 a 4 pack), I have certainly paid more than double/triple the amount for poorer beer. Not sure what it is about beer brewed in this area, but I don't have a taste for many of these. It disappoints me because I'm from upstate NY and wish there were better tasting beer from my home state. (maybe its the water?)

I did contribute by uploading a picture of the can against some hops I'm attempting the grow here in GA...hope it gets selected!

Not a bad beer, but likely won't buy this one again....I will try the others they make though to give the co a fair run. As one reviewer stated, maybe a good transition beer for someone who likes mainstream beer and wants to move to an IPA .... This is what it reminded me of.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast