Titan Ale - Watch City Brewing Co.

Titan AleTitan Ale

good

poor

Watch City Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-1999)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Andy:
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Big hoppy American style brown. Deep brown color, big earthy hop notes. Malt is there in the beer but the main attraction is the fresh hop bitterness and flavor.

3.31/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this on tap at the brewery (1.060 S.G., 42 IBU's, 6.1 % ABV).

An American Brown Ale that's malty and mildly hoppy. It poured a dark brown with a nice tan half-inch head that lasted a bit. It's not quite my style but a brown ale's go I've had much worse and more thin brews. It was just okay for me but I wouldn't choose it again if I had a choice.

2.63/5  rDev -29.7%

Presentation: Hand bottled @ Watch City for BeerAdvocate.com

Appearance: A deep mahogany brown with a slightly off white foam head with some stick and decent retention.

Smell: Grain, with soft malt notes, touch of must.

Taste: Semi-smooth with a bit of grain coarseness on the palate, and an overall raw / dry feel. Grain tannins run about, with slightly sweet malt flavour. Other flavours include a touch of smoke, blood, faint fruity flavours and roasted. I can also pick-up some paper flavours from oxidation of the beer. Hops get a bit lost in the tannins, but they emerge with a thin hop citrus twang now and then. Finish is dry, with some grainy leftovers.

Notes: Not a bad brown ale, a bit too coarse for my liking ... and this sample had been bottled and sitting in my fridge for a bit. Try it on tap at the brewpub, if you can.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

This one came from a Growler purchased by my Brother-in-Law 4 days ago...hand delivered to my house...what a family I inherited.
Pours a very dark brown/red color w/ a slight tan head...minimal lace.
Hints of raisin, toasted malts, and a touch of alcohol.
A very nice texture w/ smooth drinkability. It could be a session beer w/out much effort.
This is not the one beer I would want to keep on hand, but a very decent brown that I could enjoy any night out.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Medium-dark brown in color, small tan head, leaving good lacing. Malty sweet, some nuttiness, and a mild hoppiness on the nose. Flavor is mildly sweet and caramel, lightly nutty, and medium hoppy in the finish. Good solid mouthfeel. A little hoppier than a typical brown ale, but very well balanced.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

This is a really good beer. It is their take on a Northwestern Brown Ale. For my money, it is as good a take as you can find in a Boston area brewpub. It is rich and smooth. It is full enough bodied to stand up to any food, but not such so that it becomes undrinkable. It is malty and roasty, but finishes with a nice hop kick. It is definitely a good take on the style by Watch City.

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

This was draft poured from a growler into a shaker pint glass. The color was a deep garnet to mahogany. It first poured with a thick tan colored head that quickly receded. A delicate lace on the glass slid back into the beer as I studied it. The nose is very delicate with hints of candy, figs, dates coming from the malt. The taste is dominated by that same sweetness. The malt comes up front and is accented by the hops rather than separated from them. It has a very nice lightness and a great drinkability. I originally got this growler because they lacked any other kind I could take home. I’m glad I tried it.

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

Had on tap as part of sample tray. Served in a small/medium sample glass.

A-dark brown body and an off-white head.

S-caramel smell

T-juicy hop flavor in the front and a balanced malt (cereal) finish

M-medium

D-I found this to be my favorite brew at Watch City Brewing. Great malt flavor and nice hop balance. I would drink this again.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Growler obtained at the brewpub by a friend. Thanks Scott!

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" dense tan head over the clear burgundy brown brew. Head falls at a moderate pace, with strength around the rim, and good lacing lace. Aroma is nutty hearty grain. Taste follows the nose to start, then sees the bitterness come on and balance to the close. Mouthfeel is creamy but a touch grainy, and drinkability is good. Nice brown.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Holy crap, this beer is overcarbonated. I opened it ten minutes ago, and still can't fill the glass. Every effort is repulsed by a tremendous avalanche of bubbles--I waited until the head died entirely, then attempted to fill the glass several times with no success. I have no idea about quality control/consistency with Watch City, but it looks like they rarely bottle their beers. This is supported by the very plain label with the alcohol content handwritten in black marker. Anyway, other than the head, it's a thick, cloudy dark brown.

Smell: Hoppy, chocolatey, a little bit of grape.

Taste: Malty and vinuous at first, with a roasted, chocolate, and slightly hoppy finish. I really like the way this tastes. It actually reminds me of sparkling grape juice (fake wine)--with additional character, of course.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy.

Drinkability: I'm assuming the carbonation thing is an anomaly, and I feel bad because I really like the way this beer tastes and smells and I know the appearance and mouthfeel scores are going to drag the overall score down. Anyway, I think this is a more balanced version of the Brooklyn Brown and Duck-Rabbit Brown; a hoppy brown ale, but in a subtler way. I would kill to try this on-tap.

Thanks to fdrich29 for the bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a very dark brown that only lets a tiny bit of light in through the edges. One finger head that fades into a thin ring along the edge of the pint glass.

Faint smells of burnt chocolate brownie or maybe even fudge. With a subtle blast of warm french toast.

Tastes of bitter chocolate malt that fades quickly. Hint of honey and a pinch of brown sugar.

The tiny amounts of carbonation and the overall smoothness make this brown betty a fairly ok to drink.

Overall I like this beer on a slightly chillier or foggy/rainy day (which is not how I had it for this review, but have before). This beer would be decent as long as it wasn't warm out.

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

I just returned from a business trip to Waltham, MA. Everyone there suggested Watch City for food and beer. Well, I'm sold. Their food is real good and the beer is awesome, most notably, Titan Ale.

It pours a dark brown with an off-white head. Decent size head. Not too much. This is darker than most browns I've had.

The smell is very inviting. It makes you want to taste it right away. However, it doesn't smell quite as sweet as most browns.

The taste was excellent. I didn't want to put it down. My co-worker and I tried all of their beers while we were in Waltham. This was by far their best beer. They really have something here. We visited this restaurant 3 times in 6 days due to how much we enjoyed this brew. Think of this as a "hoppier" brown ale. Very drinkable.

I tried to figure out a way to get some home to Florida. But, all they had were the 60 ounce bottles for $12.99 (nice price!). Those won't travel well on the plane (if I got it through security) and I couldn't ship something like that. I miss drinking this beer very much and have had cravings for it since I got home.

Two thumbs up for Watch City!!

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Takes about five minutes to be served (to allow for the head to settle). My glass had to be drawn three times. Pours with a Guinness-like cascade of bubbles. Dark brown in color, cloudy. Impressive.

Great hop aroma (even with the wait). Nice crystal malt smells as well.

This is a hoppier beer than most brown ales. But there is also a stronger dry malt flavor which creates great balance. Very rich body with great carbonation.

This is the best beer to date that I've experienced at Watch City. This is also one of the best beers I've had in the past year. If you're near Waltham and reading this near March 29, 2007, check this one out!

Poured on-tap and served in a tumbler pint, the beer is a slightly hazed, ruby-brown coloring with a filmy, white head. There is a nose of roasted toffee and nut, with a hoppy undertone. The flavors are rich caramel and hazelnut, with a resiny and peppery hops undertone to clean it all up. Tasty. Bitter and sweet balanced aftertaste, with a clean, smooth finish. Very good brew.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

I've had this beer several times over the years, finally reviewing.
Consumed 10/16
Served in a pint glass

A: This beer pours a medium brown with garnet/ruby highlights to it. 1/4 inch of khaki colored head tops this brew. Minimal lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Nose is of sweet caramel, molasses, and roasted malts.

T: Taste starts with caramel sweetness in the forefront. A nice nutty-ness and roasted malt flavoring fill out the middle. Finish has hints of brown sugar mingled with a bit of hop bite in the finish.

M: Lighter side of medium body, moderate carbonation, smooth body.

D: Goes down easily, mild kick, not very filling, nice representation of style. I could, and did, have a few pints of this one.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%

Medium brown with a white head that laces. A light leafy citrusy aroma seems a bit out of place. Flavor has toasted grains peak through for a second before the mishmosh of hops take over. I say mishmosh because it is slightly fruity, but more kind of just leafy blandness. Finishes with that same flavor lingering. Medium body is smooth and drinkable. The hopping just doesn't impress me and covers up any good malt flavor that may be there. Overall a decent beer to drink if you aren't going to think much about it.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly light brown color with a very nice white head that stays throughout the drink.
I did not get much of a smell out of this beer. A slight smell of malts and a bit of citrus.
Flavor is of toasted grains and then the hops take over. Fairly good balance between the two of these two elements.
Mouthfeel is smooth, but not the usual thickness in a brown ale that I like.
This smooth brown is a good offering and very drinkable. However, I wouldn't really want to drink too much of it, because of the general lack of interest.

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

Dark brown and just slightly translucent with chestnut edges. It was topped by a creamy light tan cap that left a lot of lace on the glass. Aromas of citrus and resinous hops, malty and nutty. Moderate bitterness, citrus/grapefruit hops, sweet caramel and toffee notes with a little chocolate character. Medium body with fine carbonation, decent texture but a little bit coarse. A good drink with lunch on a cool, rainy day.

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

This is my second favorite brown behind the Goose Island Hexnut brown and my favorite Watch City beer. Very dark in appearance -almost black with some reddish highlights when held up to the light. Hop aromas abound. Dark malts were clean and not too sweet. Hop bitterness and flavor is more than expected for the brown style but I like it that way. Finishes dry. This was definitely brewed in the Northwest tradition.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Titan Ale from Watch City Brewing Co.