Chicca - Birrificio Pausa Cafe

ChiccaChicca

Birrificio Pausa Cafe visit their website
Italy

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: glid02 on 09-18-2009)
Reviews by dvmin98:
dvmin98

3.18/5  rDev +3.9%

This was given to me as an extra and I was quite excited, especially when I smelled the coffee when I opened the bottle. Then I tasted it and was let down quite a bit. The smell and appearance were great, but damn, the mouthfeel was completely opposite of what I expected. I definitely thought I would get a nice big body, yet I was surprised when it was thin, with a champagne-like mouthfeel. Wow, what a disappointment.

I have to admit that I liked it the more I drank it, but that's not saying much. I would pass on this again. Glad it was given to me and not a waste of $5.

01-25-2013 23:16:58 | More by dvmin98
Soonami

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

05-03-2012 22:06:55 | More by Soonami
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

Drank at Craft in Reno. Pours a thin looking brown, no head, even though the carbonation was fine. Smell was coffee first, a little different than I'm used to. . . maybe its the italian thing, just wasn't as strong as in many beers. Caramel to a lesser degree next.

Chalky, dry coffee taste, again, different than I would encounter in most American counterparts. I didn't come across the herbal spices many reviewers did. Toasty mild cocoa wood flavors.

Neat little backstory about how it was brewed by a prison. Alcohol heat was restrained. Too pricey to be above average ($8 I believe).

05-25-2011 19:22:14 | More by Beerandraiderfan
glid02

4.05/5  rDev +32.4%

Had on-tap at the Brick Store.

From the brewery's website (roughly translated): "This beer is an ale, amber-colored discharge high fermentation produced using traditional English malts and hops. T he particularity of this beer is absolutely innovative in the use of Huehuetenango coffee beans, toasted or not. The final product will be marked notes of fresh coffee in a brown robe of a monk. Although the palate the notes of a classic traditional beer, stands on the nose and aftertaste of a stamp net of aromatic coffee which is the Huehuetenango."

Pours a hazy brownish-amber color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of spices and sweet citrus hops with a hint of tart fruits. What seems like pale and caramel malt aromas lurk in the background. There's also a small amount of smooth coffee in the nose.

Tastes significantly different than it smells, at least until it warms a bit. Grainy coffee flavors up front are backed by sweet malts. Midway through the sip hints of spices make an appearance and carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a good thickness however the carbonation is a bit too active.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could have a few more trying to figure this one out.

Overall this was one of the more interesting beers I remember having lately. I've yet to have a beer that I really enjoyed with coffee that wasn't a stout or porter and this is no exception, however this one comes the closest thanks to a nice amount of complexity. Worth a shot.

09-18-2009 20:37:11 | More by glid02
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at The Ginger Man. Bartender says it was brewed by prisoners. Big coffee and barleywinish colour with white head. Chesnut flavour which I am frequently finding in Italian beers.The coffee flavour was like postum coffee substitute. Not too drinkable.

02-21-2010 05:00:49 | More by Sammy
Kegatron

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

11-22-2013 20:47:20 | More by Kegatron
GRG1313

2.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Dark brown/black with a nice tan head that fades quickly.

Nose of sweet black coffee and sweet dark chocolate with whiskey undertones; really nice.

Mouthfeel is thin with light carbonation and no character.

Flavors are non-existent! No flavor, no character. A little hint of coffee bitter if you search and in the finish. No need to return; nice nose...nothing else.

10-31-2009 20:36:05 | More by GRG1313

01-22-2013 00:59:37 | More by JohnK17
avalon07

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev +18.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brown color and a murky consistency. There were two inches of creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head and good lacing. Some lacing, but not very good retention.

S: A nice smell of coffee, malt and maybe a hint of chocolate.

T: Tasted the coffee and malt up front, but was mainly watery in the finish. Really inconsistent and kind of messy flavor.

M: A so-so amount of carbonation with a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A mixed bag of a beer. Not undrinkable, but hardly noteworthy.

12-15-2009 02:20:21 | More by avalon07
Genghis22

2.55/5  rDev -16.7%

A - An agrressive pour yields about 3/4 finger of off white head. Pours a muddy opaque brown. Looks like a glass of murky iced tead.

S - Smells like coffee liquer. Coffe, alcohol and sweetness. Hints of cocoa.

T - Meh. Like drinking cold, old coffee. Don't get much "beer" from it at all. There is the faintest bit of hops in there somewhere, but really, all I taste is coffee. I should clarify that it tastes like coffee liquer and not some premium dark roast coffee.

M - The only thing more dissapointing than the taste is the mouth feel. FLAT! I know I was agressive with the pour, but this is rediculous. Medium body, slightly watery.

D - No thank you. I tried the P.I.L.S. from this brewery and it was stellar, so I really wanted to try something else from them. Yuck. I'll stick to the one I know is good, especially at $9/ bottle.

03-11-2010 02:20:04 | More by Genghis22
gford217

3.53/5  rDev +15.4%

On tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy tea-like brown with a small bubbly tan head that retreats quickly to a small collar with bubbles coming up to the top.

The aroma is an interesting mix of heavily toasted malts, coffee and some light spices. The coffee is certainly not overpowering and there seems to be a bit of oak in the nose as well, though maybe I'm making that up.

The taste starts out with a slightly more sweet caramel malt flavor with a heavy spice kick. The toasted malts are big in the backbone and carry through the finish where it mixes with the slightly bitter coffee presence.

The mouthfeel is light bodied and overcarbonated. Reminds me of drinking a soda actually.

Well, I knew it would be unique when I saw it was Italian as the Brick Store seems to get all kinds of oddball stuff from there. It's got a decent aroma and flavor but the mouthfeel really does hurt my overall impression of the beer. I may try a bottle version of this one to see if the carbonation is less of a problem.

09-19-2009 02:14:47 | More by gford217
sholland119

3.83/5  rDev +25.2%

On tap at the Lion's Pride.

A-Murky does not begin to describe this beer. Dark brown and opaque with a solid amount of off white head and no lacing.

S-Bittersweet chocolate, some spices, a bit of citrus and a hint of maple syrup.

T-Coffee, sweet chocolate and a hint of red apple in the background. Interesting and unique.

M-Light bodied with a good amount of fine carbonation.

D-Unusual, unique, a one shot deal for me.

HV

10-15-2009 19:46:56 | More by sholland119
July2Nov

Hawaii

2.9/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Lots of carbonation that dies as soon as the beer warms up the slightest. Dark brown.

Smell: Malty, syrupy and a coffee additive.

Taste & Mouthfeel: This tastes like a coffee filter mixed with syrup. That's all. I could go further, but why bother. Though it did get a little better the warmer it got...so I'll bump it up a bit.

Overall: Not my cup of tea. In fact I would love a cuppa tea in place of this. This beer is not worth the price point. Wish I had that $11.50 back. You live and you learn.

09-19-2011 01:28:29 | More by July2Nov
ElGallo

New Hampshire

11-21-2011 21:16:45 | More by ElGallo
Knapp85

2.68/5  rDev -12.4%

This beer costs a pretty penny where I shop and I thought that it looked like it'd be a pretty interesting beer to try. So I picked up a bottle and gave it a shot. The beer poured out as a dark brown color without a head on it. The smell of the beer was pretty much straight coffee. Not much in the way of malts or hops, just all coffee to me. The taste again was like drinking a cold cup of coffee. The mouthfeel is drinkable but it's flat and kind of watery. I was very unimpressed by this beer. It's not worth the price tag at all.

06-04-2011 18:18:00 | More by Knapp85
JAHMUR

Connecticut

11-20-2011 05:06:49 | More by JAHMUR
coffeeslinger

2.6/5  rDev -15%

I tried the Huehuetenango ale from my favorite beer store. Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass which produced no head or froth of any kind. Could be mistaken for a glass of iced tea.

The taste is slightly sour and the finish tart. The coffee flavor is noticeable, but lacks any chocolate notes usually present in coffee-infused beers.

I'm going to give it another try. This one was probably poured too cold and in fact it improved as it warmed a bit in the glass. Makes me wish I had a second bottle.

The beautiful label and the old-school stubby bottle make a great presentation and including the coffee region in the beer style gives it authenticity.

12-20-2009 17:08:05 | More by coffeeslinger
Halcyondays

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a murky red brown with a light white head, fair lace.

S: Coffee, chocolate, with some lactic acid.

T: Orange and dark malt, chocolate, some nice sweet malt. Coffee is surprsingly light and just a minor note in the finish.

M: Light-bodied, a bit chalky, relatively smooth.

D: An OK beer, for me the flavours weren't very well integrated, there was nothing really to latch onto.

05-06-2010 23:31:43 | More by Halcyondays
aerozeppl

2.73/5  rDev -10.8%

Super Bowl. Nothing more American than an Italian beer made by inmates...wtf

A: The color is almost like a black and tan. Looks very dark with some amber highlights. Poured with 4 fingers of cola colored head.

S: Little bit of chocolate. A weird not pleasant astrigent nose as well. I think they tried to do too much.

T: Little cocoa up front then after that it is a mess. It is hot as well. This beer is less than 8% to boot. The aftertaste is of chocolate and that saved it.

M: Medium bodied. Over carbonated.

D: One and done. Not for me. At $9 a bottle this is a miss. I do not get why these Italian breweries beers are so expensive. This one especially. All the labor is free!

02-07-2010 23:49:38 | More by aerozeppl
nickfl

3.78/5  rDev +23.5%

A - Pours with two fingers of light brown foam on top of a black body with just a hint of dark red showing through. The head settles slowly and leaves moderate lace.

S - Nutty malt with some caramel, molasses, and a bit of smoky coffee. Some fruity/spicy yeast character in the background, red apple, plum, and cinnamon.

T - Dark, sweet caramel malt up front with some fruity apple and plum notes. A bit more dark sugar creeps up in the middle with some molasses. Some nutty chocolate comes out at the finish with sweet, dark bread and a bit of smoky coffee.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - This is an interesting take on a dark coffee beer. It looks like a stout, but doesn't actually have much of a roasted character. Lots of dark sugar but only a hint of real roast at the finish and the coffee is a background note that adds complexity but doesn't dominate the beer in the way it likely would in an American brewed coffee beer. Quite drinkable and reasonably complex, though I can't help but keep wishing that the coffee was more prominent than it is.

07-22-2011 04:01:53 | More by nickfl
Cyberkedi

3.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Aroma has a strong coffee overtone and hints of malt and fruit. It pours an opaque coffee brown with a fairly thick, if not persistent, light tan head. The sample I got fizzed like crazy, so open with care! Coffee dominates the flavor, which has malty and apple notes. Texture has average body and only a little fizziness. Not the best I’ve had, but worthy.

11-05-2011 22:29:44 | More by Cyberkedi