Java Joe's Porter - Raccoon River Brewing Company

Raccoon River Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Porter |  6.25% ABV

Beer added by: gueuzegeek on 02-26-2004

Coffee! Coffee! Coffee! Dark and rich, but not as full-bodied as our stout. Start out with a simple English Ale recipe, darken it with some black patent malt, and then give it a kick with 50 pounds of Java Joe's finest organic coffee beans.
to view more.
Ratings: 2 | Reviews: 2
Reviews by gueuzegeek:
4.12/5  rDev n/a

This may be a love it or hate it beer, but for me, there was no question, I really loved it. The coffee used comes from a local coffee roaster called Java Joe's. This beer had a really nice head and did leave some lace behind. it was very dark in color and could not be seen through. It had a semi-creamy texture which increased as it got warmer. The aroma was a very nice rich coffee scent and probably stronger than some other coffee porters or stouts I have had. This was VERY drinkable, but beware, it DOES have caffiene (I do not know how much), so either just drink a small glass, or go in the early afternoon if you cannot drink coffee at night. I was lucky, because on my visit to Des Moines, this one was up and about to be finished for the season!!

3.92/5  rDev n/a

Burnt coffee bean black with chestnut edges. If it hadn't been such an overcast day, I might have been able to see light on the other side of the pint glass. The small beige cap no longer completely covered the surface of the beer by the one minute mark and deposited no lace.

The nose promised good things to come. My first order of business when drinking a coffee stout or a coffee porter is to determine if there's not enough coffee, just the right amount, or too much. Java Joe's Porter falls into the middle category. It was a perfect mix of beer and beans. If you love coffee, nudge the score up one notch.

It tastes like the brewer (DavidCoy) has perfected the recipe over the years with regard to the amount of coffee beans added to the kettle. It came pretty close to dominating the beer without completely eliminating its underlying porter character. Lightly charred black patent malt was a nice counterpoint. I'm not usually a fan of this sort of ale (it has to be just right) and I'm certainly not a fan of those efforts that taste like nothing but cold coffee.

There wasn't much complexity present, but then beer of this style doesn't need complexity. I might have been able to appreciate a hint of vanilla, it's hard to say. Sweet and bitter were in balance until the finish when the Liberty hops had more of a say, both in terms of bitterness and flavor. This was good stuff from beginning to end.

I was on the fence when it came to the mouthfeel. In the end, it was a shade too light and didn't have even a hint of creaminess, so I can't very well reward it with a good score. The carbonation was just right, so that's something.

I'm glad I decided to go to Raccoon River today for lunch because the bartender told me that this beer (one that I've been waiting forever to try) is just about gone. Java Joe's Porter is one of this brewpub's best seasonals and should be enjoyed by anyone who likes good beer. If you like coffee as well, then you'll probably love it.

to view more.
Java Joe's Porter from Raccoon River Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.