Porter - Broadway Brewery & Restaurant

No picture uploaded.

Broadway Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

The quintessential beer of the British working-class, this dark, smoky-sweet ale incorporates Pale Malt Two Row, Munich and Black Patent malts. At 5.7% ABV don’t hesitate to order a second Pint!

(Beer added by: zeff80 on 10-28-2009)
Reviews by redjameskidd:
4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

I only stopped in here for one beer, and this is the one I chose. I am very happy that this was my choice.

The earlier poster compared it to Boulevard's Bully! Porter, which I remember enjoying, but can't remember all that well. What this beer reminded me of, in a very good way, was Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porter.

This beer is exactly what a robust porter should be, to me. It was a very welcome surprise, and I look forward to trying all of this location's other beers in the future, not that they have many. In fact, they could stand to be a little bolder, as each of their beers hews very closely to basic styles (wheat, APA, stout, porter, amber). BUT, if each of their beers is as spot-on as this, that may be a blessing. It should be noted that they also have some very good guest taps that explore more extreme styles.

Taste: Cocoa and coffee, very creamy, a little bit of hop bitterness. It's a beer I could probably drink all night long.

redjameskidd, Feb 03, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

16oz. served on nitro tap at Broadway Brewery

Poured a dark-ass brown. It wasn't black, though it was so dark that there wasn't any room for color variation. The creamy, nitro-tap-looking head was lion's pelt tan in color and laced like a sun of a gun.

This porter smells like a little brother to Boulevard's Bully! Porter. There was plenty of roasted malt bitter scents playing off of the earthy hops. Much more coffee bean roast aromas than dark chocolate. Maybe a touch of licorice as the beer warms. Nice stuff.

It tastes like a brother to Bully! Porter, too! What I LOVE about Bully! is found in this beer as well -- contrasting bitternesses. What I mean by this is that there is roasted malt bitterness mingling with hoppy bitterness. I love me a hoppy porter and this one is no exception. There is just enough coffee flavor in the malt to keep things deliciously interesting.

Mouthfeel? Nice. It was nitro-tap, which I hadn't had too many porters in this delivery format. It was obviously super-smooth. I think the creamy mouthfeel helped to accentuate the coffee notes at the expense of some of the hoppiness. It isn't to the beer's detriment, though. Drinkability is exceptional. It is like a gentler, smoother Bully! Porter. After half the pint I began to fantasize about spending a day alone with a growler of this porter (Broadway Brewery does growler sales, FYI).

This was one of my favorite beer surprises in a long time. This little porter from a little brewery beats the pants off of the vast majority of bottled porters from much bigger breweries in this country. I sincerely hope to be able to enjoy a pint of this porter every single time that I find myself in CoMo. I applaud Broadway Brewery; I see only positive things coming from them in the future.

Reaper16, Jan 20, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a dark black color. 1/4 inch head of a tan color. Decent retention and great lacing. Smells of roasted malt, sweet malt, chocolate, and some sweet dark fruit. Fits the style of an American Porter. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of slight hops, roasted malt, sweet malt, and a hint of sweet citrus. Overall, a great body, aroma, and blend (also not overlly sweet).

Tone, Nov 05, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +1%

A - Poured an opaque, jet black color with hints of ruby. It had a thin, brown head that left minimal lace.

S - It smelled of chocolate, sweet chocolate. It had a nutty aroma with lots of caramel smells, too. Really a great smelling porter.

T - This is porter has a nice sweet chocolate flavor. It has a nice bitter hop character to balance out the sweetness. There is an underlying nutty taste that adds to the complexity of the beer.

M - It was crisp yet very smooth. A medium-bodied beer with a dry finish.

D - This is a good porter. Broadway keeps making good beers that are very drinkable and tasty.

zeff80, Oct 28, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

halfbarrelbrew, Dec 01, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

WhiskeeTango, Jun 05, 2012
Porter from Broadway Brewery & Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.