Catherine's Resentment - Swamp Head Brewery

Swamp Head Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: jme015 on 05-14-2014

Catherine II, the 18th century Empress of Russia is said to have been the inspiration behind the creation of the Imperial Russian Stout, an intensely flavored, robust dark ale with a noticeable alcohol presence. Legend has it that Catherine also had a voracious sexual appetite; she was known to have many lovers, but the story about the stallion was probably a myth. We’ve infused this round of our Imperial Russian Stout with a stiff does of coconut and habanero peppers, creating a smooth, spicy stout ale that even Catherine herself may have resented.
to view more.
Ratings: 41 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.07/5  rDev -48.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance -Black body. Not much of a head. Thin collar.

Smell - Dear lord it smells terrible. Kinda chalky. Green peppers. Some chocolate.

Taste - Nowhere near as bad until the pepper hits. Chocolate. Again a little milky and chalky, which is weird. Then the pepper hits. Green peppery flavor. Excessively spicy.

Mouthfeel - Intensely peppery and hot. Ugh. Medium heavy.

Overall - Just not pleasant.

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Westbrook snifter on 7/30/14

A: pours a deep dark black with a very nice brown head that lingers for a while. Looks absolutely delicious!

S: Nice dark coffee roast on the nose, hints of chocolate and spice...tons of spice...I'm drooling already

T: Very much follows the nose. A nice amount of coffee roast and to a lesser degree chocolate. The peppers are very dominant on the flavor profile which I love. If you were to compare this to Mexican Cake, it's not quite the chocolate brownie taste in the middle, a little less sweet and more charred flavors. This to me is damn near perfect.

M: Perfectly carbed for a nice thick/rich mouthfeel. Can't get much better than this, IMO

O: I'm in love with spiced stouts and this was one of the best I've had. The heat and spice was more predominant than the other flavors found in the beer but I enjoyed that aspect most. Would love to have again!

4.3/5  rDev +7%

This is the most Habenero spice I have found in a beer. IT was very spicy while cold and as it warmed up the spiciness was not as intense. I could not even tell there was coconut in the beer. But as far as pepper stouts go it was very good.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to moose3285, who is always plying me with alcohol for some reason, for this 750ML bomber. I’m hoping Resentment is better than Passion: what’s that about?

The pour is black & much less carbonated that its sister brew. The nose is nailed: rich chocolate, sharp roast, & a healthy heap of nose-warming pepper. Once I remember there’s coconut I locate it, but I wouldn’t have noticed it without the written warning.

Catherine’s Resentment would never be mistaken for its sister: this is a heat-seeking missile of a beer. The habanero is prevalent without sliding into Stone’s Crime/disgusting territory, but it’s also smothering the rest of the brew. If you lift up the habanero skirts there’s fleeting chocolate, a drop or two of coconut (or is that my fetid imagination?), light sweetness. Nice & thick, but drinkable? Maybe if you’re into ghost pepper enemas.

Judged as a pure pepper beer, this is damn good, but as an actual beer, it’s too one note. The habaneros have chased off all the good neighbors & turned the place into a hot mess. Still a pretty good brew.

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%

Tried this at the release. Pours black with a creamy khaki head. Aroma of big green chiles, chocolate, roast. Flavor follows with serious heat--but doesn’t linger--alongside chocolate and graham crackers. I don’t get much coconut here but maybe it is the toasty graham flavor I am getting. Medium bodied with adequate carbonation. I have never had the base beer to this so I can’t compare (and I am told they will not release the base Catherine’s on its own again) but this is a nice treatment. Definitely unique and strong peppers but it doesn’t build. I couldn’t drink a full 750 of this but a glass would be a nice treat after dinner. Good stuff.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was a fun beer. Coconut and habanero worked somehow.

to view more.