Catherine's Passion - Swamp Head Brewery

Swamp Head Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: CampusCrew on 01-02-2011

Catherine II, the 18th century Empress of Russia, is said to have been the inspiration behind the creation of the Imperial Russian Stout, an intensely flavored, robust, dark ale with a noticeable alcohol presence. Legend has it that Catherine also had a voracious sexual appetite; she was known to have many lovers, but the story about the stallion was probably a myth.
We infused our Russian Imperial Stout with cocoa nibs and fair trade coffee, to create a sensual stout with an extra kick. We think Catherine’s Passion would be aroused by this stout…ale.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.99/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

I really did not enjoy this. Mostly because it smells like green peppers and stale, used Folger's coffee grounds. That being said, it was drinkable... just not very pleasant at all. I love some roast, but the char flavor was not enjoyable... Shame. I enjoyed Resentment, but this iteration did not vibe with me.

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks to moose3285, a guy who has been giving me good beer since before I was legal. I kid, I kid, but it’s been a long bloody time. This is the latest in a long line of fantastic-looking hauls. Big old 750ML bomber split with my wife.

The pour is stout black with an afro head that’s never seen a pick; takes a while to jam all that into a pair of 14 oz. glasses. I while away the idle moments watching Loren on Intervention, an alcoholic. Never mind. The nose makes me double-check the description of the beer: sweet sugar & crushed raspberries, fruitier than Merrick…never mind. Smells more like Founder Big Luscious than a coffee/chocolate stout.

Catherine’s Passion has undergone some kind of Transformer-style change since being written about. Sweet malts writ big hold up a solid dose of roast before the raspberry patch kicks in. Mid-palate is more bitter than Newt Gingrich: not hoppy, perhaps fallout from the coffee addition, but it’s more than that, & I can’t quite put my midline groove on it. The finish is pure circus freak, with the slippery fruit mixing with the malt & coffee &, yeah. Uh huh. Despite all the bearded women, I’m having little trouble putting this away.

Swamp Head is so hit & miss for me, ranging from great stuff to, ah, suckage. This is neither, but with no trace of chocolate, weirdly zinging coffee bite, & rampant orchard leavings, I doubt this is what the brewer intended. Still, oddly, pretty good.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

3.91/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

750 ml bottle from the brewery. Pours pitch black with a big dark brown head on top. Aroma of plenty of roast, bittersweet cocoa nibs, chocolate syrup, lots of earthy coffee, light hop presence. Flavor is big time roasty, some chocolate Hershey's syrup in there with more bitter cocoa powder notes, only light coffee for me here, maybe even a bit of hop bitterness at the end. Lingering dry cocoa powder left on the palate. Medium plus mouthfeel with medium carbonation. A really nice impy stout overall, leaning toward the more bitter roasty side. Could use a bit more body but I say that because I'm spoiled with my CCB stouts around here. Maybe a bit more coffee as well. But a nice base beer to play with for Swamp Head.

3.99/5  rDev -1%

On tap at the Brandon Brass Tap on January 5, 2013. Reviewed from my notes that were made that day. They served it to me in a Guinness snifter. It certainly wasn't an ordinary Guinness pint glass.

Looked like an Imperial Stout. It was a thick pitch black motor oil black. Holding this beer will not help your cause. The light will just bounce off the beer and shoot it right back into your face. On top was nice creamy coffee colored head of foam. Excellent retention that left behind a skin of foam and a huge number of blots and streaks of lace around the Guinness glass.

It looked like an Imperial Stout, but it didn't smell like one. The first aroma that came to me was the scent of fresh raspberries. I was very confused. Was it the glass? Was it the tap? Or was it the beer itself? Anyway, after the scent of raspberries passes, in comes some roasted malt, a little cocoa, and a subtle whiff of roasted coffee beans. Very interesting!

The aroma of raspberries was odd until I tasted the beer. There were raspberries in the taste but they mixed in with the chocolate to form a nice raspberry chocolate taste. There was much after the chocolate raspberry. I only got a little roasted coffee, a flash of roasted malt, and a splash of day old dry roasted hops. In my second glass, the taste of raspberry diminished a little bit and more cocoa and roasted malt came out.

The mouthfeel was medium to full bodied with a crispy chocolately aftertaste. There was more raspberry chocolate and coffee beans in the aftertaste. I'm not quite sure what to think about this beer. It looks like an Imperial Stout, but it doesn't smell or taste like one. Unless its an Imperial Stout aged on raspberries. If it's on tap, I'd say give it a try for yourself. You don't find too many Imperial Stouts on tap.

I had this on-tap while I was in Key West. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours almost black with a finger of dark brown head that fades to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Bitter cocoa and roast. Full of dark fruit. This isn't a very sweet smelling beer.

Taste: This tastes just like a cop of coffee. Not too sweet. I'm getting dark chocolate, dark fruit, and tons of roasted malt. The finish is bitter and roasty.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This isn't a very sweet imperial stout, but I really enjoyed the coffee flavor. Not super balanced, but quite good. I'd have another.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

appearance: pitch black with a solid head retention

smell: loads of coffee aromas

taste: Russian Imperial Stout infused with organic cocoa nibs and Midnight Oil coffee
a decent impy stout with heavy coffee flavor, chocolate and dark fruit flavor. lots of alcohol kick though

mouthfeel: medium bodied to full bodied

drinkability: I tried this at the kickbacks Swamphead dinner among many others. This brewery in new and going in the right direction. Solid beer from a solid brewery. I would love to have this again.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »