Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

10-10-10 IPA (Bourbon Barrel Aged) - Swamp Head Brewery

10-10-10 IPA (Bourbon Barrel Aged)10-10-10 IPA (Bourbon Barrel Aged)

Swamp Head Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: kylehay2004 on 05-04-2013

Imperial IPA aged in 20-year-old Pappy Van Winkle barrels.
4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at The Craft Bar in Panama City Beach. Have had some bourbon barrel aged IPA's in the past but none compare to this one. While the bourbon is there it is a compliment to the hops and crisp backbone of the base beer and does not overpower or muddle the flavors of the IPA. It does what you might expect but is balanced and that is something sorely lacking in most examples of this style. The regular 10-10-10 is a good double IPA bu this is in a different league. Excellent, interesting brew.

This version was aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels. (555 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

As a big bourbon fan and a moderate IPA fan, this may be the best IPA I've ever had! The Pappy barrels really take the edge off the bitterness and make me want to go drink a glass of Pappy as soon as I finish this. I feel compelled to compare this to white oak aged Jai Alai, and I dare say this is better. Definitely more oak, more vanilla, and more bourbon than the Jai Alai. I'm blown away; probably the best Swamp Head brew I've tasted. (440 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +19.7%

The barrel really mellows the hoppiness, which is not necessarily a bad thing. If you're IPA crazy it might not be the thing for you. It's on-pointness to me is in how good it is all around. (190 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to my cousin Sonny down in FL for sending this one up to me. Pappy aged IPA, not sure I have heard of that specific combo before. Just had the regular 10-10-10 the other night.

A- 750ml poured to a deep tulip glass and a pint glass for sharing. The beer itself has an amber body and a one finger, frothy off-white head forms. Pretty good retention. Thick, bubbly ring leaves ample webbed sheets of lace.

S- Whiskey comes off big but is not harsh in any way. The barrels bring vanilla sweetness, medium toasted oak and soothing Bourbon notes. IPA takes a bit of a back seat here but the toasty caramelized malts and citrus hops poke through.

T- Barrels carry over from the nose and are the most prevalent part of the flavor. Compared to the nose, more blending takes place here. A wide range of things like notes of vanilla oak sweetness, toasted wood, smooth whiskey, cocoa, pepper, caramel, toast, grapefruit and citrus hops. It all weaves together like a cocktail.

MF- Body seems a bit thinner than the 10-10-10 original, medium overall. Carbonation is at a moderate-low level for the style but a silky, smooth creamy texture overtakes the taste buds like a pillow. Finishes with a mixture of alcohol warming and hop bitterness.

I am pretty sure the only other Bourbon DIPA I have had is Doom from Founders. This is a much different beer in every way but I think this style of beer works well for several reasons. The whiskey and barrel flavors combine well with citrus hops, think whiskey sour in a way. Overall it feels like I am drinking a fairly strong whiskey cocktail crafted very well. Also, the actual flavors from the barrel are fantasic, soothing oak vanilla. (1,687 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a medium burnt orange color with a good finger plus of white head.

Smell is of musty hops and oak, offering hope of some nice bourbon barrel flavors.

The taste is a little bland. Tastes like an old, stale IPA with a little bit of oak, a trace of vanilla, and some minor heat from the bourbon. I was expecting some killer bourbon flavor, but unfortunately the Pappy barrels did not help this beer. I would like to have seen how a different selection in hops would have helped, a the hops on this were earthy and dirty-bitter, some bright citrus or tropical notes would have been a nice change of pace.

The mouthfeel on this beer is quite smooth, making it dangerously drinkable at 10% ABV.

Overall, this beer was a disappointment. The IPA flavors were nothing special and the barrel characteristics were weak. I killed the whole bottle hoping that as this warmed some bright ray of flavor would come shining through, but it just continued to be muddled and plain to the end. (984 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to skrip for this! Poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed balloon glass. It has a vibrant, hazed orange body, bright and glowing. Covered by a thick, off-white head to start, it unfortunately dies to very thin layer. No lacing. I'd expect a longer head with more integrity out of a DIPA. Nonetheless, attractive body.

Wonderful barrel character in the aroma. It really reminds me of Founders Hand of Doom. Sweet, vanilla, oak, and the hops sit underneath it all. They (the hops) are definitely overpowered in the aroma. Subtle notes of peach and kumquats. Hops could use more strength, though I really like the barrel quality.

A little boozy on first sip, though filled with oak, toasted bread, and spicy hop notes. It's sweet and bourbony up front, then on the back end takes the shape of a double IPA, with a bitter finish. As it warms, the alcohol becomes very obvious, with phenolic notes popping up quickly after each sip. Mostly a warm, oaky, hoppy beer...on point at described. Medium to full bodied beer with sharp carbonation. A little sticky but nothing too intense. Only minimal heat and after the swallow, there is some residual heat and astringency that takes the tongue and rings it out. Good for the style.

I have not had too many barrel aged IPAs but of the ones that I have had I think this is one of the more memorable beers. I think I liked Hand of Doom more, but the barrel character of this is killer and I would definitely recommend this to anyone. I drank the whole 750 myself and enjoyed every bit of it. (1,538 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12%

Thanks to moose3285 for this extra as part of a box for which I have run out of superlatives. He hooked me on the brewery's saison, & look forward to each time a new Swamp Head brew lands on the front stoop. Weaponized 705ML bottle of which I poured half, recapped, & left the rest for my lovely wife.

Poured into my lovely, Brussels flea-market Orval chalice, the first use its seen in the U.S. Oh, & the beer is a dark, clear orange with wispy carbonation. Aroma is a mule's kick of bourbon & oak, with a low quotient of orange, citrusy zest. This is what a barrel-aged IIPA should smell like.

10-10-10 - Bourbon Barrel Aged feels like it should be strained through a muslin bag. There's a grainy, bad-film quality graininess that coats the tongue, sinks between my teeth, & makes me want to floss: that's certainly unique. Simultaneously creamy; that's a neat trick. The taste? Yes. Overbearing orange that flirts with the medicinal along with that slightly stale, dull hoppiness that I've come to associate with barrel-aged (& just old) IPAs. Bourbon shows less in the taste & more in a finish that goes on longer than a Bill Clinton speech. I'm having no trouble getting through half this bomber.

Not quite sure how to judge this one. There are lovely portions (nose, finish) that are offset by uncomfortable weirdness (old hops, Halls cough drops). In the end this is a good beer, if just because I keep on reaching & reaching & reaching for the glass. Certainly an interesting one. (1,494 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a hazy dark orange/brown with one finger head. Serious bourbon aroma mixed in with caramel malts and some orange citrus. Vanilla biscuit and orange peel up front. Very smooth flavor and not too astringent. Not a lot of complexity from the barrels here but certainly present. Dry oaky finish for sure. Surprisingy easy to drink, though I have not had the base beer alone so cannot compare. A great tick, but not an overwhelmingly awesome beer by any means. At only 300 or so bottles, I am feeling pretty fancy ticking this on my own :-P As I get through this it is harder and harder. As it warms it converges on a glass of neat whiskey. Umtimately just too much, and I am now convinced it is time to STOP putting IPAs in bourbon barrels. (742 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep copper. Small white head. Just a couple of wisps.

Smell - It's all bourbon and oak. Buckets of oak. Really nice, but no IPA back there.

Taste - The base comes back here more. Still a ton of bourbon and oak. Vanilla. Awesome barrel character. Grain comes through. Slight hop bitterness in the back.

Mouthfeel - Not really boozy. Lots of liquor. Medium body.

Overall - It's all barrel but it's great barrel. Pappy does wonderful things. (494 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Thin head on a hazy golden amber body. Aroma is excellent oak, bourbon, nuts, earthy hops, and tart orange citrus. Flavor is excellent with perfect degree if aging but lose a little of the base beer complexity with bourbon, oak, pine resin, earthy hops and creamy flavors. Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth. Excellent brew, a must dry, highly drinkable with alcohol well hidden. (389 characters)

10-10-10 IPA (Bourbon Barrel Aged) from Swamp Head Brewery