Dark Cloud - Mother Earth Brewing

Dark CloudDark Cloud

Mother Earth Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: evantwomey on 11-04-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Cloud Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not terribly familiar with the "Dunkel Lager" style of beer, so am just writing how I found the beer as opposed to a comparison to expectations.

I didn't know what to expect when I got this; I bought it because it's a local brewery but the beer isn't my favorite porter/stout/dark ale type. In fact, I tend to avoid lagers. This one surprised me very pleasantly.

Overall, what made me happy is that it has the rich tones of a dark ale while maintaining the lighter, "crisper" notes of a lager. The appearance was a nice color and a small head, minor lacing.

Smell was not much. For some reason I smelled a lot more sweetness than I tasted.

Taste was excellent- and I'm not even qualifying it as "for a type of beer I don't generally like." It's good, full stop. The malt was delicately roasted, and blended with the hops. None of the flavors were powerful; this is not a strongly flavored beer, but rather a well balanced, more moderate blend of flavors. Definite caramel tones, lightly bitter that was just perfect to balance out the malt. A nice mouthfeel, not syrupy or watery.

Really like this one, and will keep it in mind next time I am in the mood for something other than the usual.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

4.49/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark amber into a pint glass beautiful color. Smells much richer than a premium lager, but drinks extremely smooth with a full flavored finish.

The bottle I had was a fresh bottle as I got it in NC where Mother Earth brewery is located.

I had never had a dunkel lager before as they are more popular in Germany from what I understand. This seems like a good alternative for those of us who enjoy stouts and porters but end up feeling full after a few. I feel like this beer could be consumed all day.

Very interested in trying out more beers from Mother Earth.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Amber to brown, Near white head, some cling lace.

S - Almost smoky malt, hops wrap around it nicely.

T - Clean, pure malt with just the right amount of hop backing.

M - Light to medium body, good carb, good balance.

D - A little dull for me, but a nice session.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16%

A: Pours a crystal clear dark amber in color with some garnet red highlights and very light gentle carbonation near the surface of the beer. The beer has a finger tall creamy dark beige head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer evenly. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted bready malts, some light amounts of chocolate, and some notes of nuts.

T: Moderate flavors of toasted bready malts with a hint of brown bread plus some much lighter notes of chocolate and nuttiness. There are light amounts of earthy hops that contribute a light amount of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: I was pleasantly surprised to find this excellent example of a Munich Dunkel Lager being produced by a small brewery in Eastern NC - not one of the more common styles for American craft breweries. This was a delicious beer and one I was very happy to drink - it is sessionable and I would be happy to have another of these.

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Very dark brownish red. You get the red if you hold it up to the light.

S - Mostly malts, chocolate, and dark fruit.

T - Roasted malts, a hint of chocolate, and dark fruit along with something bready.

M - Medium-bodied beer with some sticky coating as well. Easy to drink though.

O - Pretty good beer, but nothing to flip out about. Maybe this beer just isn't my style, because this is the second I've had of this type that wasn't memorable. Enjoyable, nonetheless.

Dark Cloud from Mother Earth Brewing