Tripel Overhead (Bourbon Barrel-aged) - Mother Earth Brewing

Tripel Overhead (Bourbon Barrel-aged)Tripel Overhead (Bourbon Barrel-aged)

Mother Earth Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: cvstrickland on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Overhead (Bourbon Barrel-aged) Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I recently received this as an extra... when I opened the bottle I had no idea it was aged in bourbon barrels (i didnt may too much attention the labeling at the bottom!) so needless to say I was quite surprised

A: Dark amber with some light golden hues. Small off-white caps quickly died down and left only the faintest clumps of lacing.

S: Bourbon. Lots of it. Complete with oak and vanilla. So much so that it drowned out the tripel-like fruity notes. Some diacetyl creeping in here as well.

T: The flavor didn't work for me... the bourbon was harsh and abrasive... downing out the delicate fruity esters. Way too much diacetyl here. Butterscotch galore.

M: Somewhat thin, with moderate carbonation. The booze is not really hidden.

D: In the end the harshness of the bourbon and the butterscoth just didn't work for me. An interesting, but ultimately unsuccessful idea.

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: The pour is hazy orange-amber in color with a 1/4" layer of white head that recedes to a thin ring all too quickly. I'd like to see more retention in a tripel, barrel aged or not.

S: Boozy and bourbon laced up front. The Belgian esters rise in the background with some spice and a muted bubblegum note. I'm also getting faint note of 'nilla wafers, likely from the oak barrel. There's something else there ... maybe a hint of green raisin? Complex, but hard to nail down.

T: Initially, this tastes like a standard tripel, but with a shot of bourbon added. Other than the booze and a slight oak note, nothing really stands out at first. On the back of the tongue, I start to get a faint banana note. There's a definite bourbon twang in the aftertaste.

M: Moderate to low carbonation ... maybe this is why there isn't much head retention. The beer is pretty solid on the tongue, but the booze in the aftertaste helps to keep the palette lighter than expected.

D: OK, this is hard to describe. I'm not giving this beer very high marks on any specific characteristic, but I really enjoy it. This is my second bottle from the same 4-pk; I recall the first one fondly. I can't quite put my finger on it, but this one, with another month or so of age, doesn't stand out as much but it is still tasty. This beer confuses me, but in a good way.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

On tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro.Poured a slight hazed burnt orange with a decent slight off white crown atop,aromas are a nice mix of tropical fruit and oak,sweetish alcohol comes thru as well.Very warming and quite fruity on the palate,overripe pineapple,and tangerine-like fruit mixed with vanilla tinged toasted oak flavors.The description says its a sipper and its right,its a very good sipper at that.

12oz bottle into a perfect pint. Thrown in as an excellent extra courtesy of BucketBoy (thanks, Joe!).

A - Hazy straw/honey color, with a solid two-fingers of head. After a few minutes it recedes to a thin cap, leaving spotty lacing around the inside of the glass. Gentle agitation brings the legs back to it for a few minutes. Good looking brew.

S - Wow, lots of bourbon here. Toffee, caramelized sugar, and vanilla dominate, with a bit of hoppiness in the background.

T - I happen to love bourbon, so the aroma and the flavor here are right up my alley. Bourbon obviously dominates the taste, bringing a smoky vanilla flavor to the party. Some yeasty flavor lurks in the back, along with brown sugar and toffee, as in the nose. Decidedly not hoppy, which is expected. But I'm loving this beer. While the bourbon suggests a high alcohol content, there's very little heat. Really nice.

M - Thick and viscous, as I'd expect from something with this abv. The finish is long and dry. The sweetness of the flavor doesn't linger.

D - Well, 9% will take its toll, I guess. The flavors make me want more, but I'm feeling this after one, so drinkability suffers. But average for a -bal.

O - This was definitely an unexpected extra, and after trying it, I'm really looking forward to my upcoming trip to the Carolinas in August so I can pick up more (I hope).

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

On-tap at the brewery's tap room served in a Mother Earth tulip glass a hazy orange with a thin lasting off white head. Aroma was Bourbon up front with vanilla, oak, spice and sweet fruit. The taste is lots of Bourbon and oak with sweet malts and spice. The beer is slightly heavy with some alcohol presence. This is certainly an enjoyable beer, even on-tap without the benefits of bottle conditioning.

2.51/5  rDev -34.8%

12oz bottle, bottled April 2010, poured into my Allagash chalice.

The beer pours a nice orange, and while the beer is relatively clear, there are plenty of floating particles suspended in it (if that makes any sense). I hadn't realize that this tripel was bourbon barrel aged when I picked it up in the store, but one sniff quickly alerted me to the fact that it was. The nose is very heavy on bourbon, especially colder, and the tripel base only becomes apparent when the beer warms some. My experience with the taste is similar, very heavy on the bourbon, with a little of a traditional tripel flavor way in the background. Vanilla is also appreciable too, though just barely. Body and carbonation are both solid for the style, but neither make enough of an impression to warrant a really high score. This beer is an example of the possible pitfalls of barrel aging. Rather than oak and vanilla flavors, and/or a subtle bourbon influence, bourbon totally takes over the beer, and makes it too much of a sipper.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

Now that I have secured a stash for the winter, I'll post a little review. Mother Earth Brewing has really got something going on here. Cloudy, cola tinged gold. Slight creamy head that dissipates into decent lacing. Looks thick and honeyed. Huge smells of vanilla, alcohol, bourbon, some spice, but cannot really discern. A lot going on here, but there is no doubt that this is going to burn. But it doesn't. The bourbon presence is well tempered by the vanilla flavors imparted by the oak and the sweetness of the triple. It really is a remarkable combination, and all melds together, dare I say, perfectly. This is a thick sipper, smooth as chugging syrup. All things considered, drinkability is pretty good.

I was not overly impressed with their normal triple, and did not have super high expectations going in to this beer. A very nice surprise that I look forward to revisiting when it gets a bit cooler.

Edit - Revisited this beer this weekend. I still like the combination of the Tripel and the barrel aging, but the bourbon presence is MUCH stronger than I recalled.

3.47/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is dominated by bourbon, with notes of caramel and brown sugar, oak, alcohol, vanilla, charcoal, a little yeastiness, a little fruit, and ALCOHOL. The flavor also has big bourbon notes upfront, with notes of brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, caramelized oranges, yeasty esters, candy sugar and fusel alcohol. The mouthfeel is a little thick, and drinkability is seriously hampered by the alcohol presence. This is an exercise in barrel aging gone wrong, the end result is drinkable but in no way better than the base beer. They need to tone down the bourbon character and allow the tripel to shine through more.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last