Kasteel Donker - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel DonkerKasteel Donker

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kasteel Donker Alström Bros
1.38/5  rDev -66.4%

Ugh. This is like drinking alcoholic, knock-off brand cola.

It retains several elements of the best Quads, such as a smell of certain spices in the nose and a lingering taste of dark fruits (prunes, figs), but the syrupy-sweetness is so overpowering and one dimensional that I found it hard to notice much else.

Avoid.

1.63/5  rDev -60.3%

Only beer I've had that got progressively worse and undrinkable as time went on. Pours a dark mahogany brown, lots of off white head and lacing. Smells is sweet malt, alcohol, and dark fruits. Taste is horribly sweet, dark cherries, and overpowering alcohol. The mouthfeel was the only pleasant thing about this beer, the carbonation was good. This beer is only good for cooking, it tasted like brown sugar mixed with rubbing alcohol, and this was a bottle that had been aged for 7 months at my house. Insanely one dimensional, it burns from the alcohol. Not recommended at all, horrible. It took all my willpower to force it down and not throw this out.

1.83/5  rDev -55.5%

750ml bottle, bottled on 070924 (9/24/07?). Pours a murky brown with a small head that quickly goes to a tiny collar.

The aroma is subdued. It has some sweet caramel and toffee malts, some oak, a little dark fruit, and a bit of oxidization and alcohol.

The flavor is very sweet sugary malts and molasses, a little cola and fruit with a big sugary finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and syrupy.

Overall, this is way overly sweet. It's a bit of a treacly mess. As it warms and I get accustomed to the sweetness a little nutty malt and banana come out. So there's some complexity, but the sweetness overwhelms everything and makes it rather unpleasant.

1.85/5  rDev -55%

Reading the reviews here makes me think that I got a bad bottle. Until I have another (which I probably won't for a while), I think this post should stand. I am of the opinion that bad bottles reflects the overall quality of the beer's production and thus should be factored into the beer's rating.

Poured a murky brown with minimal head. Nose is all phenols and a fake grape-y-ness. Gross. Taste is the same, this over-sweet, fake awful grape note. Feel is fine, drinkability is zero. Awful, awful, awful. Drainpour.

1.93/5  rDev -53%

I have to agree with LordAdmNelson. I dont know if I must have got a bad bottle myself... but this did not taste like beer. This tasted like a cheaper bottle of champagne, smells like over sweetened champagne and the abundance of carbonation would lead me to believe this was just a bottle of extra sweet champagne. The aroma is of grapes, definitely no scent of hops, malt or barley. When poured, the color was a golden yellow and did not look too bad, but mixed with the overly strong taste of stale grapes, that severely impacted my score, which is a total shame since I paid $9.99 for a big bottle. Very very disappointing.

2.08/5  rDev -49.4%

I am amazed that this beer is rated so highly. Unless you like your beers amazingly sweet, and I am talking SWEET, then this is not the beer for you. I love Belgians and seek out the micro beers from Belgium whenever I can and I have nothing slightly sweet beers. This beer, though, is something else. I could not get beyond the overpowering sweetness of this beer and if there is any redeeming quality to this thing, it is lost in the syrup like taste. The taste was so bad that I had to cut it with another beer. Interestingly, I mentioned this to another Belgian beer friend of mine and he said he had to do the same thing. Overpriced and overrated is my opinion. The Triple was also unimpressive. There are many far better Belgians out there for less money.

2.25/5  rDev -45.3%

2.25/5  rDev -45.3%

2.3/5  rDev -44%

Bottled. Typical Belgian stubbie. Pours a flat cola -red with little or no head. Aroma is alcohol mixed with spice. mouth feel is oils and sweet...pronounced molasses-cola tastes some malt body and the ever pervasive alcohol....very much like a Carib sweet stout...bad job of hiding it and too sweet with adjuncts to be considered a serious for a European ale...these Belgium mutants should have their own category...maybe "rot yer teeth hi grav rummy beer" ...woof , I won’t be going back here.

2.6/5  rDev -36.7%

This beer pours a dark brown, red colour with a small head and glass sticking foam.

Smell was roasted and malty, it reminded me of tobacco. What was striking, was the lack of smell, especially for a beer with 11% alcohol, I expect to have a little more smell.

Taste was SWEET!! My teeth almost fell out of my mouth! Unbelievable. The alcohol is also very apparent and off course the beer is sticky. I could barely get my lipps off each other. Every other taste that is possibly in there is masked by the sweetness of the beer. I would not advise this to anyone who is a serious beeradvocate.

2.68/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance- Dark Blackish brown with a very very thin head, almost non existant

Smell- Shoe leather slightly, Some sweet syrupy aromas

Taste- Maple, Molasses, slight burnt character, some jammy red fruits. I like sweet beer and all but this is abit much. The wheat and Belgian yeast are there, albeit in a rather unpleasing form.

Mouthfeel- About what you'd expect from the style, a little thick.

Drinkability- One's good for me thanks.

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Big beer. Dark brown with medium white head. All malt aroma of toffee and fruits. The taste is extra sweet. Plums, caramel, malt, grapes. Very vinous, rich and warming, alcohol is very noticeable in the finish. Almost syrupy mouthfeel. It would be interesting to age, but overall I must say I expected much more.

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz. Belgian stubby, with a freshness date of July 2010, served a bit too cold at Michael's Bistro and Taphouse in a small snifter. It pours a clouded brownish/red that is ruby in the light and is topped with a small, light brown head that retains a thin collar. The aroma is quite vinous, sugary sweet, with a blackberry kick. Think Chambord. It is hugely sweet on the palate, very port-like, with pepper, berries, and maybe some hops near the end. The body is medium, yet syrupy thick, with light carbonation and a medium finish. On the plus side, the alcohol is undetectable, but on the negative side, it is way too sweet and a bit difficult to drink, making me wonder as to why it is rated so highly.

2.78/5  rDev -32.4%

A - poured with little head or carbonation. Reddish brown color. I was afraid I had a bad bottle based on the low level of carb.
S - alcohol and fruity sweetness
T - Cloying sweetness - almost port wine-like, a little estery fruitiness, but not as much as I'd like of for a dark belgian. The alcohol is also apparent in the taste. You can tell from the smell and the taste that this beer is in 11% - it's not hidden.
M - Full and syrupy. The sweetness lingers. Little perceptible carbonation.
D - I wouldn't have another.

Bottom line: If you're expecting a Rochefort, Chimay Blue, or St. Bernardus, you'll be quite disappointed. In contrast, if you like some of the sweeter Belgian-style darks/dubbels (Grimbergen comes to mind), you may find this enjoyable. If I brewed this myself, I'd lament the lack of attenuation.

Kasteel Donker from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.