Kasteel Donker - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel DonkerKasteel Donker

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
View: Beers (30) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kasteel Donker Alström Bros
bpattt

12-06-2011 22:02:06 | More by bpattt
ikantspel

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

bottled on 5-6-10

served into a duvel tulip

pours a dark brown with a super small head and the slightest of lacing.

dark fruit, plums, and medicinal nose.

candy, dark fruits, phenolic to the max.

not too much carbonation to this bad boy. but its almost everything ive ever wanted in a quad. finishes quite smooth and not too dry. maybe a tad too sweet, but sometimes, it just works.

i picked mine up at the total wine and more about 20 miles away for 14.99 (4 12oz)... but ill be back for more and more

12-06-2011 05:14:23 | More by ikantspel

New Hampshire

11-15-2011 18:54:31 | More by ElGallo
broker0078

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

This beer has stayed on top of my beer list for about a year now. I started moving to onto Belgian beers based on tradition rather than reviews. My goal was to taste every Trappist beer I could because I like the history behind a "Trappist" beer.

I like the fact that I could pour this bottle at any angle and the head would be small every time.

I was surprised how little carbonation was in this beer compared to other Quads. I like the fact that the carbonation was low because it seemed to go down smoother.

The dark color was fitting for a Quad and the flavor was like a cup of coffee with roasted malts and raisins.

I feel like Kobe the few times I walk into the distributor and buy this case. But my wallet feels cheated like his wife for the price of it.

Relax baby, I'll fill you with money and keep you happy.

10-27-2011 16:48:13 | More by broker0078
ibbjamin

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Paid $5.99 for an 11.2oz bottle from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco. It was bottled 080407 and I am tasting in Sep11. I pour into a chalice to review.

An aggressive pour yields a very small head that dissipates quickly leaving little retention behind. Dark, dark brown in color. Opaque and nearly black, except when held to a bright light. Some strings of lacing.

Dark fruits like raisin, plum, prune and fig dominate, but there is a good malt backing. I also noted molasses, brown sugar, alcohol and Belgian yeast in the nose.

The taste is also dark fruit dominated and quite sweet.

The mouth needs more carbonation, but I recon the aging may have toned this department down a bit too much. I don't think cellaring this one helped it much. Medium body and not as smooth going down as the best I've had in this style.

09-17-2011 01:49:51 | More by ibbjamin
GIVEMEBACKMYSON

Alaska

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Root beer brown, head is minimal, moderate clarity for the color, thought there would be more of a pillowy head for being a Belgian quad, but ok...

Smell is all sugarplums, dates, prunes, and mildly composted apple peels.

Flavor is really quite spellbinding. I'll do my best here... Up front we have sweeet raisin bread, and that is a sort of a leading notion, and the rest comes secondary, different characters stepping forth and bowing back into obscurity, anonymity....moldy wood, green apples that don't ever go tart, nor sweet...unsmoked cigars, maple wood, pecans, sweet and low, juicy fruit gum. It's all in there, you just have to stop drinking and sit for a while between sips. All the while there hangs a notion, almost a threat, that this will be a sour, but it never is.

The noted lack of head comes through in the mouthfeel. It's not bad, but, lacks some of the pillowiness I'd have hoped for. Really, a touch of CO2 is all that is missing from making this a world beater. Of course, it did travel some route to get from Belgium to Anchorage, and who knows how that went for it. There is alot of good here no matter how you slice it. The flavor, in this "sweet quad" is superb.

08-30-2011 04:08:46 | More by GIVEMEBACKMYSON
zaphodchak

4.55/5  rDev +11%

Thin whitish head, deep ruby body. Laces decently.

Red wine on the nose, primarily.

Taste contains red wine, brown sugar, caramel, and spice.

Mouthfeel is spicy, perhaps tingly, and not apparently 'fizzy'.

Fantastic for a sweet Belgian bruin - like a Gouden Carolus. Sweet food pairing brings out apple, perhaps prunish tartness.

08-08-2011 01:15:55 | More by zaphodchak
nycbeerfreak

4.47/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Caramel chocolate brown body that has a deep, amber , honey hue to it.

S- Belgian sweet malt and yeast with a dose of alcohol. Great smell appropriate to the style. The sweetness is a dark fruit sweetness like a date or a raisin.

T- Dark fruit tastes of dates and raisins. There is a sweet bread flavor here folks. After that there is the warmth of alcohol and then a return of a more muted dark fruit.

M- It goes down like liquid caramel and the sweet nectar is syrupy sticky.

D- One of the best Quads i have tasted ....end of story

07-20-2011 01:41:36 | More by nycbeerfreak
3toed

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

When I first tasted the Kasteel Bruin six years ago, I had a bit of an epiphany. At the time I was on a Belgian Ale kick (specifically Belgian Browns), drawn in by their complexity and depth. I bought the Kasteel Bruin on a whim; it graciously complemented the end of a delightful dinner, pairing well with a desert of Pears in Fig Syrup over Cinnamon couscous. At the end of the meal it was bliss. But, then again, maybe it was the 11% ABV. The beer became a favorite—it was relatively inexpensive ($7) for its intricacies (and heft), and it was always stocked my the choice dispensary in Richmond, VA.

I hadn't come across a bottle in quite sometime (now living in Boston) until this evening, when I happened upon the "Donker", which I had known was it's other moniker, "Bruin". At $10, it was slightly more than what I had paid prior, but it seemed to jive with all other price increases I had become accustomed to. Little else seemed to jive, however.

Appearance: Dark brown/murky amber in light, the dark cream colored head rings the circumference of the glass, creating the thinnest of shoreline. Very minimal head retention, no lacing.

Smell: Figs, roasted malt, oranges, warm fresh baked rye bread, honey and candied fruit.

Taste: Primary / Syrup, bright fruit (lemons, orange), Secondary / Robotissin, Prune Juice; Final / Alcohol, Molasses, Ginger, Fig Pudding.

Mouthfeel: Touches the tongue lightly, but quickly becomes expansive and coating, cloying with alcohol burn.

Overall: This beer is big, full of figs, and stays with you (in several ways...). It's cloying, and somewhat disappointing from my earlier exhalations. I hesitate to write that my palate has changed, or the beer has changed because, looking back I believe that there is a lot to be be said about context—

Firstly, in the past, I paired the drink with desert, which I think is a wise decision. I could also see it going well with a triple cream brie or a dry, sharp cheese. Think of the Donker as a port or desert wine. Drinking it on it's own this evening was like trying to chase cough syrup with my mother's fig pudding. Like Blueberry Pie and Sizzurp. Ugh.

Secondly, it's the middle of the friggin' summer. Unless you are spending 8 hours in a Michigan basement, there is no need to consume a Baltic Porter, an Imperial Stout or a dark quad in July. It's just silly.

Thirdly, I admit, like so many others, I have changed. I've become a hop head. My taste buds seek them out, especially in the sweetest of situations. But, the Bruin offers no light from it's syrupy sludge. It refuses to change with me.

At the risk of sounding prudent, the Donker is sweet indulgence at 11% ABV. Like a still life from the Dutch Masters—it is deep, dark and decadent, sinful, pouring over with color and life. And like the Master's, it's imbalance is overt, with opulence overbearing from the deep... leaving me searching for a bit of light in it's darkest corners.

07-15-2011 01:51:23 | More by 3toed
eric5bellies

Australia

Drank from my Duvel Tulip.

A - Pours a dark Brown colour with hints of copper. The head is off White and reduces quickly.

S - Sweet aromas of burnt sugars, and spice, malts are present as caramel.

T - Quite sweet sugars up front before some nice burnt caramel kicks in, followed by dark fruits and cherries. The finish is long with spice and booze.

M - Medium carbonation and body.

O - This is another very solid beer from Kasteel and recommended.

07-02-2011 14:53:58 | More by eric5bellies
djoucy

Quebec (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Poors dark brown with notes of ruby red. Thin tan head that goes away quickly.

Smell: Strong malt sweetness with typical dark fruits and caramel notes. Spiciness also comes strong, probably not from hops though.

Taste: Very sweet with a lite hop bitter sting towards the end. Still, a lot on the malty side, not very balanced. Touches of dates, dark fruits, caramel and molasses. A bit of spices as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Alcohol warmth. Medium heavy body with creamy texture.

Overall: Quite smooth for the ABV. Will age well. I should keep other bottle for a few more years. A bit too sweet and has an annoying alcohol bite.

06-18-2011 23:57:16 | More by djoucy
beergirltammy

Georgia

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

I was served this beer at a small bar in Brussels, Belgium. I am a huge lover of dark beers and was really excited to try this. It was poured in the proper glassware and had a very nice mahogany color to it. I got about a 1/2" of head to it, which receded fairly quickly. The smell was surprisingly sweet. I was expecting more of a subdued earthy scent, but this smelled almost like cherry cough syrup. The first sip yielded more of the cough syrup taste, but as I let it roll around in my mouth a bit, I tasted more of a molasses/brown sugar hint. Honestly, I feel as though this is a good beer, but it is hard for me to get past the cough syrup taste of it.

06-07-2011 19:10:16 | More by beergirltammy
kojevergas

2.94/5  rDev -28.3%

As noted by others, this is somewhere between a high ABV brown ale and a Belgian quad, but not really either definitively. I was served a bottle of this in Ghent, Belgium. It was poured into a Kasteel goblet; Belgians really take delicate care to utilize proper glassware. In the same bar I reviewed this in, a waitress was ashamed when a customer asked (in Flemish) for the proper glassware, because she realized she had served a beer in the wrong glass. Dropping more eaves than was polite, I noticed that the "wrong glass" was actually a glass from the correct brewer but not the exact beer for the bottle. Respect. Reviewed from notes.

A: Half-finger head; actually thin. Fair retention, especially considering its 11% ABV. Black colour. Perhaps some might call it an extreme dark brown.

Sm: Caramel, nuts, and light alcohol. I was disappointed to discover the alcohol is present even in the smell, which isn't a great sign.

T: Caramel and nut hop body. Complex. Balanced but strangely built for either style (brown & quad). The dark fruit I've come to expect in a quad is missing, replaced by the standard brown ale nutty hops. The effect is confusing, if not jarring, but the beer still tastes good. You get acclimated and it tastes better.

Mf: Nicely coarse and wet. The alcohol is warming, but a bit unwelcome.

Dr: Not good enough to order again at this price. I can't imagine what this costs in countries in which it's an import.

C-

Reviewed again on-draught in SoCal. 2009 vintage.

A: Pours no head at all. Body colour is a caramel-brown. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Caramalts. Biscuit malts. Brown malt. Residual sugars. Minimal floral hop character. Toffee. Quite sweet. A mild strength aroma.

T: Sweet. Malty, with caramalt, biscuit malt, and brown malts. Simple but enjoyable. Decently balanced for what it is.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Decent carbonation. Good thickness. Suits the flavour profile well.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but a bit too sweet and simple. I wouldn't get it again, but I'm glad I revisited it. Liqueur-esque.

C-

06-01-2011 16:45:11 | More by kojevergas
Rifugium

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

First had: bottle at Eulogy, Philly, PA

Also known as Kasteel Bruin. From the name, I thought this was a brown ale. But it's actually something between a dark strong ale and a quad, and is labelled as the latter by BA.

Poured a dark semi-hazy brown with just a bit of head that receded to a film of bubbles. Caramel malts and peppery spice in the aroma, and distinct alcohol. Similar taste with sweet malts and Belgian sugar, slight molasses, and some dark fruits also noticeable; not as much spice as I detected in the aroma. Medium-heavy body with some carbonation, pretty drinkable, but a bit strong.

05-12-2011 16:29:09 | More by Rifugium
GuruDel

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip, split 3 ways.

A: Pours a dark brown. Nice 2 finger off white head that vanished quickly.

S: Dark fruits and booze. Smells sweet, I was worried based off the smell that this wouldnt be enjoyable.

T: WOW what a difference from the smell, a great blend of spice, dark fruit and a good kick from the yeast all hides the booze well. So many flavors it was tough to pin point but really enjoyable. Truely world class.

M: good carbonation, lively on the tongue and easy to enjoy.

O: What a great beer, complex, easy to get and affordable make this a great quad.

04-06-2011 14:19:45 | More by GuruDel
Kasteel Donker from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.