Follow our progress ...

Kasteel Donker | Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

YOUR RATING = None |

Kasteel DonkerKasteel Donker

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
Belgium | website

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Reviews: 380 | Ratings: 849
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had the Kasteel triple recently, and loved it. One of the best beers I've ever had. This one, unfortunately, is just too sweet for me. Of all of the Belgian beers I've had, this is the sweetest. Pours a beautiful, dark brown with a prominent foamy head. Nice, foamy lace, some head remains throughout. Hard to describe the taste, being that the sweetness is so prevalent. I feel great while drinking this beer. It leaves me (predictably) with a wonderful, warm feeling. But, with all of the great alternatives, I am not likely to buy this one again. (On the positive side, my wife (who doesn't drink beer), tried it and kind of liked it. Now I can get her to sample some other beers!)

4.75/5  rDev +17%

A rich dark brown color, more reddish in light, below a large creamy head. Nose is very sweet, with notes of toffee, cream, nuts, and a particular toasty character. Hints of spices, cloves, anise. Soft, spicy, and warm on the palate, with a lush and lasting finish. ABV unknown to me, but it's starting to deliver now. Perfect consolation on this freezing cold late January Minnesota afternoon. Full-bodied, tangy, hugely characterful, and an ever-unfolding delight to drink. Much like a hybrid of brandy and a candy bar! Delicious, delightful, d'lovely!
Mine was served in a Scaldis glass, which ably did the trick.

11-02-03
Above review from a tap sampling at Bryant Lake Bowl. Just had a 750ml bottled I'd been saving, this one labeled as "Donker-Foncee", and I echo my previous statements: this is one incredible brew. Just wish I could find more bottles around here!

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%

Crystal clear deep garnet hue, w/ a head that quickly dissipates into a tight tan ring due to the high apparent alcohol content. Spotty isolated bubble inlands are left. The aroma is dominated by vinous, alcohol soaked dark fruit w/ a contrasting dark caramel and chocolate malt. Hint of dry, coffeeish roasted barley is present as well. Earthy Styrian Goldings hop nose. When combined with the light clove phenol, bubblegum esters and pleasantly peppery alcohol the nose knows this is a potent Belgian. Unfortunately, there's a slight hint of lightstruck derived mercaptans (curse of the green bottle) that prevents the aroma from acheiving greatness. Assertive, molasses like, dark candi sugar sweetness is perceived initially in flavor, then is ceded by a melange of dark, dried fruit including raisin and sugary dates. The dark fruitiness then melds with dark caramel malt, light chocolate and pseudosweet alcohol to lend an overall impression of bourbon soaked chocolate cake. Yeast derived flavors emerge late and mirror their presence in aroma, consisting of clove and mild bubblegum. Ethanol flavors are well controlled, w/ only slight peppery notes percpetible. Hop bitterness is paltry and leaves malt sweetness virtually unhindered, yet sweetness doesn't become cloying, due to this brew's inherent complexity. Moderately bodied, w/ a sugary and dextrinous mouthfeel. Finishes both sweet and lightly roasty, with enveloping alcohol warmth surfacing concomitantly. Kasteel Donker is a tremendously flavorful brew. Although sweet all around in character, the sweetness is multi faceted and contrasted by both yeast esters and mellow dark grain. Considering its strength, the drinkability is supreme. Donker is an oxy moron of a brew-- ballsy and refined. Bottled 8/2001.

You don't see me give all 5 but for this beer I just can't help it. I can not argue with one word Todd wrote. This is easily in the top three of my favorite beers of all time. This is the port wine of beer. Rich complex, malty without being sweet. I have one left in my cellar and the distributor has been out for the last 6 months. Dear god I hope they get more in time! I would put this head to head against any trappist for malt complexity, enjoyability, and price.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

A "donker" beer, brewed in 1999 (mine was). A dark brown brew. Very rich and malty with a port-like finish. Sweet bliss in a bottle with a shelf life of over 25 years. One of my favourite of the sweet dark beers that I tried when in Belgium (March 2000).

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Kasteel Donker from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.