Kasteel Donker - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel DonkerKasteel Donker

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kasteel Donker Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a 33cl bottle. It looks ruby red black in the glass. Is that possible? The head is minimal, tan, and a touch sticky. The smell is astringent, dusky malt, and sour cherries. The taste has a surprising sugar dominance over a cherry background. The finish shows the hops, subtle but adding a great balance. In the immortal words of Homer Simmpson....Swet Jeebus. This stuff is begging to be aged and that just became my plan for the 2nd bottle I have. The mouthfeel is syrupy but nicely carbonated. It has enough bubbles to keep it from falling into the trap that barley wines do for me. They become cloyingly sweet. My apologies to the fans of 35 year old Thomas Hardy ale but its not for me and this really is. The drinkability is excellent. Even though it clocks in at 11 percent the alcohol really only manifests itself as a warmth down the throat and chest. Nice, nice nice. If you can find this stuff. Buy it. Period.

roblowther, Jun 17, 2007

From notes 2-10-09

Eye: Dark brown in color with garnet highlights. Head formation was nice but retention could be better. Lacing is nice-sheets. Color of head is mudslide brown. Texture of it is creamy.

Nose: Faint aroma overall. I get lightly roasted notes as well as a bit of chocolate. Dark fruit is in here as well, rasins mainly. Bready notes as well. Some vinous characers are coming through as well as some oaken character associated with them. Hints at alcohol.

Tongue: Very complex beer, this one. Big on the dark fruit, lots of rasins, some faint chocolate notes. Black cherries...this beer almost gives me the same taste as chocolate covered cherries. Alcohol is noticeable, but helps to balance out the brew, it counters the sweetness. Dark malt really comes through in this one, this is one great beer. One of the best Belgian darks that I've had in quite a while.

Feel and Drinkability: Medium body with moderate delicate tiny carbonation bubbles. Nothing all that special about it really. It does feel just as it should though, I can't see this one feeling any different and having it work as well as what it already is. This is an easy brew to drink and its worth picking up and trying. I know that I'll be going back to it in the near future. Its a great beer that I feel is overlooked.

becktone, Mar 22, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +19%

This beer is in a class of its own. I dont know what class, but never had anything like it. Super nice quad that pours a thick ruby black. Taste like a pissed off chocolate cake. Smells like honey and brown sugar. How the 11% is hidden so well I will never know. Mouthfeel is creamy but a bit awkward like a junior prom tongue kiss behind the first base dugout, but unforgettable just the same. This damn beer is so sweet and strong. I don't know what to do with this...?

Lungman, Sep 04, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

One of the best Belgian beers in the world. Packs a wallop at 11% alc. One of my personal favorites and now available in Arizona. If this beer has any drawbacks it is that it is too strong to be a session beer but I could drink it all day long.

Dark, very rich, sweet and malty.

bigbelcher, Jul 10, 2003
4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

1998 vintage. Knowing i really don't like this beer fresh (waaay too sweet with sharp alcohol) i was very curious popping this bottle. Poured into a kasteel beer glass. The beer pours a dark brown colour with no head. Smell is very sweet: dark fruits, figs plums and the typical vintage smell. Taste is still sweet,but much less strong than the fresh one.plums, figs,candy sugar. This beer is so balanced,it is incredible. Very soft mouthfeel,no sharpness at all, liquid silk. Reminds me of a good porto. One of the best vintage beers i ever had!

rvdoorn, Feb 12, 2011
4.96/5  rDev +21%

Thick, almost dirty appearance; like freshly stomped grapes with all the residue that goes with it. Strong smell of fig, reminds me of the fig newtons I loved as a kid; you can also catch a hint of alcohol in the nose - not surprising considering the high ABV (11%). Nothing tame about the aroma. Wow! Tastes of grapes, fig, sweet caramel, and a little alcohol bite; sweet and fruity after taste. Mouthfeel - Like a high gravity, squeezed fruit drink, very full bodied. Overall - This is about as good as it gets for a quad. I didn't think I would find one better than Trappistes Rochefort 10 but this one is tops it in my book - a little pricey at about $19 for a four pack but well worth it.

Steamer, Oct 06, 2013
4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Yet another spectacular Belgian experienced during a recent business trip to Atlanta and while visiting the Brick Store Pub in Decatur.

This special Belgian Quad was poured from tap into proper Kasteel stemmed glass with a beautiful gold rim and a painted picture of a brick building with "Kasteel Bier" adorning the front. This brew was special from the very start.

The appearance was deep dark brown with a thick, creamy head and lovely thick lace that graced the glass during each round. So far, everything one could hope for in a strong Belgian.

The aroma was incredible...oh so sweet! Perfectly aged prunes, raisens and dates, all aged to perfection. Only a hint of alcohol, but what a pleasant aromatic sensation. Sweet, fruity, but all balanced in harmony with one another.

The taste was very sweet, but balanced with raisens and fruit. The brew simply glides accross your tongue in a fruity cacophony with a warm alcohol finish. Somewhat port like and malty, but it's perfectly balanced.

As to the mouthfeel, I experienced a biscuity and chewy, viscous treat. Just perfect, or as close as you can get to it. This was a pleasure to enjoy and to think it was available on tap. I only wish the pubs in my area would pursue such a treasure as this. Thank you once again Brick Store !

jim102864, May 28, 2007
4.98/5  rDev +21.5%

A
Very dark. There was a little foam, but it quickly went away

S
Dominated by dark, dried fruit.

T
A little fruity. It was sweeter than I expected, but incredible. There's a little coffee or red wine note as well

M
Smooth with very light carbonation

O
This is one of the best beers I've ever had. The one I had was part of a Belgian sampler and I went out the next day and bought a whole case.

MrMichael, Mar 12, 2012

biernack, Feb 09, 2013

kurgan3, Jul 08, 2012

cornucopia, Apr 15, 2012

Tumble, May 22, 2012

You don't see me give all 5 but for this beer I just can't help it. I can not argue with one word Todd wrote. This is easily in the top three of my favorite beers of all time. This is the port wine of beer. Rich complex, malty without being sweet. I have one left in my cellar and the distributor has been out for the last 6 months. Dear god I hope they get more in time! I would put this head to head against any trappist for malt complexity, enjoyability, and price.

mattmaples, Oct 17, 2001

BernardusHo, Nov 26, 2011

Lukas, Nov 03, 2012

duracell, Nov 24, 2011

chasesitten, Nov 22, 2011

WynnO, Sep 08, 2012

GentlemanJoel, Dec 24, 2011
Kasteel Donker from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.