St. Louis Cassis Lambic - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Cassis LambicSt. Louis Cassis Lambic

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Naerhu on 04-26-2004)
3.43/5  rDev +25.2%

The beer pours from the 340ml bottle deep reddish purple with a modest pinkish purple creamy head, lace a thin veil. The aroma of the berries sweet mixed with a malt greets you first, then I liken it to sour mash, I think the moonshiners in the audience would understand my description, or if you ever worked on a farm with swine, the four legged kind! Lol

Start is sweet at the front, with the tartness at the back, dry as they come, top is light to middling in feel. Finish as a ferine acidity, the black currants continue to the parched semi-sweet aftertaste, a decent Lambic, but I have had better.

Gusler, Oct 30, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Looks like dark cassis juice with a thin, off white head.
Very berry aroma, with no sourness or complexity.
Interesting balance of sweet, sour and tartness, with the tartness coming out. Doesnt taste anything like a beer, tastes like frizzante cassis juice.
Fine carbonation, like an italian frizzante wine.
This is a nice drink, however, I dont think its a great beer. I enjoyed it but wont look for it when I am looking for a beer.

Naerhu, Sep 15, 2005

Soneast, Dec 18, 2011
2.8/5  rDev +2.2%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear at first and then this molten mass of goo slipped off the bottom and some made it's chunky way into the glass (aweful looking stuff). The head was off-white and lasted but a second to leave no lacing on the glass.

The aroma was menthol with a grape undertone.

The flavor was sour and acidic with a flavor of fermented grape juice. The flavors were harsh and reminded me of something I had tasted before, but I could not put my finger on the flavor. The sourness was acidic and lactic and not well done.

The finish was more sourness and lactic. The body was medium light and the carbonation level was low. I'd skip this one if you run into it.

25 cl bottle, 04-03 on label.

GCBrewingCo, Feb 16, 2006
2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

crobinso, Apr 13, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -9.5%

Gritty light purple pour, minimal head, the more you pour, the darker the purple gets which is pretty cool. Aroma was anything but what I would expect, wasn't sweet, wasn't sour, was medicinal fruitish, a description I highly doubt I've ever used.

Taste, tiny dry tart, then a big wave of unpleasant sweet came across. I know this tight bodied chick Cassie, I hope she doesn't taste like this cassis, but I digress. Gritty astringency and massive sweetness turn this into a drinking experience I didn't particularly enjoy.

Haven't enjoyed the mouthfeel of currant in any setting, so take my words with a grain of salt, this just isn't a 'fruit' I get into.

Priced at $6 (~) from Sun Devil Liquors.

Beerandraiderfan, May 03, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -10.6%

Had this one in beer class at the Freakin Frog.

A: Poured a dark red almost maroon color with a purple hued head that is well retained.

S: Dog kennel, mint, wet soil, herbal.

T: Spicy, sour, and minty.

M: Dry finish with a medium bodied slippery feel.

Honestly, i dont like lambics or fruity beers and this was no exception. Flaws were highly noticeable unless they were going for the "wet dog" brew. Avoid this unless you are being adventurous and have nothing but time and money to blow.

PhotoFM, Dec 13, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -38.7%

The only thing I can say about this abomination is that it has a distinct aroma of cassis. Everyone-especially wine drinkers wants to know-at some time or other what cassis smells like. Yes, you can pick this up in many cabernets. Perhaps I'll keep a bottle on hand for training purposes. Other than this the beer is thick, goopy and sickeningly sweet. A sour pickle barrel component chimes in trying to balance the sweet and pretend it is a sour. But the whole thing is just a mess and it fails all across the board. This thing only wants to be a skanky fruit juice. And it pulls this off with alacrity. Could not get past a sip-yuck!

moulefrite, Sep 18, 2009
St. Louis Cassis Lambic from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.