St. Louis Gueuze Lambic - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Gueuze LambicSt. Louis Gueuze Lambic

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Gueuze |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 06-04-2003)
View: Beers (30) |  Events

Jspriest

11-14-2011 18:00:51 | More by Jspriest
BeerForMuscle

3.5/5  rDev +7%

A - Raw honey colored, tall 2 finger head. Great retention.

S - Fairly acidic, with notes of apple cider vinegar, bitter fruit skin, tart green apple and tart citrus,

T - Fairly sour with tons of dry, acidic fruit. A certain yeasty tang and oak dryness. Plenty of tangy fruit skin and peel. Subtle sweetness lingering around.

M - Dry and tart, cleaning the mouth but leaving it dry after each sip.

O - Simple geuze, containing the wild tart factor for sure. This one seemed a bit more toward the sour side.

09-08-2011 01:22:43 | More by BeerForMuscle
spinrsx

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

Bottle

Appearance - Dark Gold/Light orange colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Lemons, bananas, apples, green grapes

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste lots of lots of banana and citric acid. It has a nice balance of sweet and sour that doesn't lean too heavily either way. It also reminded me a little bit of a white wine - green grapes.

Overall - The beer had an interesting taste and and a nice look in the glass. It may not be as exciting as some of the other beers in its category/style, but I'm still happy I tried it. I don't think I'd buy it again however.

06-20-2011 19:41:25 | More by spinrsx
drabmuh

Maryland

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

As far as a fake gueuze is concerned, this wasn't half bad.

Beer is kind of amber, no sediment (filtered) big white head, lots of lacing, served in a pilsner flute. Lots of carbonation.

Aroma is mildly sour but mostly sweet. Kind of like a good faro would smell.

Beer is medium in body but overall really light on the palate. It is mild all around, not really a gueuze ultimately but it's not horrid. Easy drinking lightish, mildly sour, kind of sweet beer.

05-27-2011 14:21:36 | More by drabmuh
Dijeriduster

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Blind Lady Ale House served into a brandy snifter

A - Thin looking bright yellow with just a whisp of head on top.

S - Soury and acidic just as a gueze should be.

T - Nice and sour on the tongue without making you pucker too much. I thought this was well balanced for a gueze.

M - Thin as per the style.

D - I am surprised this has such a low score, I thought it was a pretty decent gueze and would def drink it again. That said it wasn't crazy good and I think I prefer their fond traditional

02-16-2011 16:48:20 | More by Dijeriduster
ThaCreep

2.65/5  rDev -19%

Orange-brown. Strong smell of bananas without this fruit in the composition of the Gueuze. Mouth but a bit too watery despite a strange smell of bananas (a bit like the fruit sauces because they are feeling a little fiber and it is still quite soft in the mouth). The finish is subtly but quite low acid flavors. Little sugar, which is already better than nothing, but the body is too low compared to other lambic.

12-27-2010 16:28:44 | More by ThaCreep
Reinheitsgebot71

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

My first Lambic.

The body is clear gold and very active, champagne like, crystal clear. A tight off white head with great retention is above this, it leave a fine lace.

An interesting nose. Cinnamon, sugar, white grape juice, rose, star anise, lemon and a hint of sulphur.

The taste is very sour and tart with some light sugary notes. It becomes mildly bitter and astringent in the finish. Candied apple and hints of spice play in the very high level of carbonation. Some notes of verjuice.

Light and lively feel like sparkling wine.

Interesting but not as much as I'd hope from this style.

11-30-2010 20:12:13 | More by Reinheitsgebot71
kwjd

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

I believe this is the first gueuze I've ever had, though I've had other lambics. Purchased at the Control Board in Ontario. Pours a pale orange colour with big white head. Nice retention and lacing covers about 1/4 of the glass. Smells of apples, lemon, quite tart. Flavour is both sour and sweet. Nice carbonation level. This reminds me of the Sour Patch Kids candy that I used to eat while I was younger. It tastes nice, but not something that I would drink everyday.

11-02-2010 03:33:16 | More by kwjd
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

Bottle poured into my favorite goblet.

A- Pours the color of honey, two finger white head settles to a quarter inch cap that remains for the entire duration. Lacing is good, a lot more than I was expecting.

S- Cider vinegar, apples, white grapes.

T- Cider vinegar (although faint) white grapes and apples. Seems to be quite watery tasting. Nowhere near as tart as I was expecting. I'm getting a bit of a metallic taste from this which is a little off putting.

M- Again watery, the carbonation helped me get over that but was hoping something with a little pucker power.

Overall not bad, the metallic taste IMO really hurt this one. Each sip was just okay. Won't purchase again unfortunately.

08-31-2010 02:55:55 | More by korguy123
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

2.4/5  rDev -26.6%

Purchased at the LCBO, marked 10/2011 on the bottle. I assume this is BB date. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

I had seen the reviews before I tried this, but had high hopes when I poured it. Although surprisingly clear, it had a nice head atop the deep golden liquid. Lacing was substantial too. The aroma off the beer was tart, though dominated by apple aromas. Sadly the taste was just apples with not nearly enough tartness at first, although over time it was getting sour. A nice bite with moderate carbonation, but not a beer I would seek out to drink ever again.

08-25-2010 01:59:39 | More by kjyost
Seanstoppable

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

A recent trip to Ontario gave me the opportunity to pick up some beer styles I don't normally have access to. This gueuze is one of them, and is the first gueuze I have ever tried.

Pours a very dark amber color with plenty of frothy white head. Head eventually settles down to half a finger and a crown, with plenty of lacing left on the glass.

Definitely a bit sour/tartness to the nose. Reminds me a bit of a cidery smell. Also a slight scent of yeast.

The initial taste consists of a surprising amount of sweetness. Sweetness feels artificially induced. Sourness is very slight. Slight lemon flavor. I am somewhat disappointed, having had a better combination of sweet and sour from a bag of sour patch kids. Finish is fairly smooth, with no real aftertaste.

Nothing really exciting here. It might be smooth, but the excessive sweetness means I would probably switch to something else after a glass or two.

07-26-2010 23:49:59 | More by Seanstoppable
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

Best By September 2009; Sampled July 2010
Pours with a frothy, pale tan colored head. The beer is a rich amber hue that shows a brilliantly clear, dark amber color when held up to the light. The aroma smells of fresh cut pears, apples and bananas even. There are some kiwi like aromatics that are brought out by a definite acidity. I should mention that the beer smells quite sweet too, so at least in the nose this is very different than something that is fully spontaneously fermented and conditioned. There is a soft, musky note here that smells strange when coupled with sweetness.

Not as sweet as the Faro, but this is certainly a sweet beer. The beer finishes with a lingering tartness that is mostly lactic, but has some definite acetic over-tones to it. Fizzy and light bodied, though perhaps a bit heavy for a Gueuze, but this also doesn't have that Lactic slickness that one usually gets; this really isn't that sour, so must not have enough to contribute this note. The sweetness brings out fruit notes that remind me of lightly oxidized apples, some pear, fake lemon, . A touch of sherry in the finish adds some age to the malt character. This also reminds me of sweet tea, though perhaps not quite as much as a Faro does.

This is worse than the Faro to me b/c it really shouldn't be sweet. Judged as a Faro, I like this better than the three Faros that I just tried, but as a Gueuze this simply sucks; it is certainly not bad or objectionable tasting, just not a Gueuze.

07-25-2010 20:10:03 | More by Gueuzedude
TurdFurgison

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

I had a bottle of this with dinner at an Affligem cafe in the Grote Markt in Brussels. The beer might not have been the best available in the city, but this particular view was hard to beat.

Tha beer was light gold colored with a thin white foam that dissipated quickly to a film. The aroma was slightly tart, more like an apple than like vinegar. The sweetness in the taste was also more indicative of apples than anything else. Very pleasant and easy to drink, with a minimum of funky sour bite. A great gateway to the style, not gonna be everyone's favorite but I liked it. Maybe it was the atmosphere...

04-24-2010 22:29:56 | More by TurdFurgison
biegaman

2.35/5  rDev -28.1%

The prevalence of a light auburn hue is the only thing preventing me from really seeing this as apple juice (and even then I have trouble shaking the similarity). Its surface, about as bald as an eggshell, doesn't do much to help dismiss the notion. Its clarity and frolic bubbles notwithstanding, I'm not getting a great vibe from the look of things.

Gueuzes are normally searingly high in acid, with an intensely tart fruitiness and aromas described by many as "barnyard", "hay" and "horse blanket". They are, to say the least, distinctive. This one raises flags, however. It admits an obvious sugar addition and whatever little sourness can be noted seems forged and prefabricated.

You'd have to be missing taste buds to find this even the slightest bit palatable. It is an intensely corny flavour, terribly lacking in fruit. Synthetic honey and artificial sweetener factor in way too highly for a beverage that is, by distinction, tart and acidic. This is like a pop that started out as corn syrup and never had any artificial flavouring added.

There's not enough sugar to warrant a call to the diabetes hotline but this is definitely way, way sweeter than it is sour or acidic. My guess is that whatever hands were responsible for its creation also made sure the beer was sterilized and filtered so as to eliminate any and all of the good microbiota that gives the beer its distinguishing features.

It chafes the palate with such friction, it's like an unshaven woman is rubbing her stubby legs across my tongue. It is a pointy sensation that completely deflates in the aftertaste; the flavours finish with the sharp abruptness of rotten seafood. It leaves the tongue saturated in raw sugar and something eerily reminiscent of corn syrup.

I rarely feel that the final score I rate a beer provides fair or adequate insight to its craftsmanship, its character or, much less even, my enjoyment of it. In this case, however, I assure you, the final grade you see should be considered generous, take it as a warning sign. The beer is a blatant forgery, a sorry mess of prefabrication and kitsch.

Gueuze is a bit of an acquired taste; bad gueuze, such as this, goes far beyond that. Counterfeits like St Louis Gueuze prove that brewing is not a medium in which one can lie successfully. Industry and machines are no substitute for human touch and the sum of hundreds of years of tried and tested development, nurturing and tradition.

04-17-2010 16:31:22 | More by biegaman
GodOfBeer

3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a Blanche de Chambly flute glass. Pours a nice deep golden colour with a thin frothy white head, lots of carbonation and lacing.

Lots of brett yeast in the aroma, candy sugar, apples. Smells like a light version of Orval. Very interesting.

Tastes mostly like it smells, very sweet, somewhat sour, some grassy-hay undertones. The artificial sweetener unfortunately sort of ruins the aftertaste.

Nice strongly carbonated mouthfeel, a very refreshing and drinkable beer. My first Gueuze and somewhat impressed.

04-10-2010 22:07:03 | More by GodOfBeer
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A huge ugly white mailing label adorns this bottle, covering up half of the original label, all to warn us of the added sweetening agents, and the nutritional content. Not that I'm against this information being included, but wow, what a terrible way to do it...once again, way to go, LCBO...

This beer pours a clear medium golden amber hue, with two fingers of thin soapy off-white head, which leaves some random patches of lace around the glass as it quickly abates. It smells of tart ascetic fruit acids, and a bit of cherry/lemon sweetness. The taste is much milder than the aroma had suggested - soft tart cherry and lemon, a bit of metallic funky barnyard yeast, and a sweet white graininess. The carbonation is middling, the body medium weight, a bit prickly, and it finishes off-dry, the funky sweetness persisting.

My first beer ever that contains artificial sweeteners, the same ones in Diet Pepsi, Coke Zero, etc. Hard to tell what effect they have, since this gueuze isn't all that sweet, and the metallic nature may or may not be attributable to their inclusion.

Overall, a nicely subdued version of the style, compared to others that I've tried recently - my teeth are not tingling after every sip!

03-28-2010 01:10:09 | More by biboergosum
ecoastman

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think a couple of these might give me heartburn but one on a hot day would be welcomed. Being my first Gueuze Lambic, I don't have much to compare to. I'll definitely try some others in the summer since this style of beer probably make for great patio refreshers.

I like the crystal clear chestut colour of this beer but it doesn't provide much head and has zero lace.

The aroma is sweet and vinigar-sour with flowery and obvious medicinal phenolics. Also some slight Belgian yeast aroma.

The taste is like the aroma and it goes down refreshingly watery - much like a shandy with fine gingerale-like carbonation or cider.
Unfortunately, I'm a little sensitive to the taste of artificial sweeteners so the acesulfame-potassium leaves a slightly off taste for me in the crisp finish.

03-20-2010 00:17:55 | More by ecoastman
cratez

3.1/5  rDev -5.2%

375ml bottle. Part of the LCBO's Spring 2010 Beer Release. Cider golden yellow with amber hues, a ring of white head, and dots of lacing on the stange. Sour candy, horse blanket, and barnyard aromas suggest the use of Brett. I also get some flower pedals. Taste is sweet, fruity malts, citrus, and a lemony, sour tartness that quickly fades away. More funk (woody, herbal) and hints of vinegar in the aftertaste. Not as sugary as I thought it would be, which is a good thing. Light-bodied mouthfeel is spritzy, spiced, and astringent. Decent enough, but I don't actually enjoy it. Meh.

03-04-2010 06:05:22 | More by cratez
ludachris

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a glowing copper that is perfectly clear quite effervescent, yeilding two fingers of sticky white head that displays excellent retention and leaves long strings of thick patchy lace.

The nose is dry and tart with notes of vinegar, sour green apple, a bit of lemon and hay.

The dry and tart apples turn quite sweet in the palate with notes of sweet lemon and a light bready quality following with a bit of hay. The vinegar moves way back and becomes completely subordinate to the artificial sweeteners that are added, which are also boldly displayed on the label.

The mouthfeel is much different than the nose would lead you to believe. The tart, dry, and sour notes become crisp, clean, and sweet, making it go down a bit smoother. Good balance and an easy drinker.

This being my first Gueuze, I didn't know what to expect, but this left me satisfied. If the sweetness of this derived from real fruits rather than artifical sweeteners, I think it would be a completely different beer. At a slightly higher price tag for a somewhat average beer, I won't be buying this too often, but this one does leave me looking forward to my next gueuze.

03-04-2010 02:16:36 | More by ludachris
MeisterBurger

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

This'll be my first ever geuze.

I'm disheartened that the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (the monopolistic government operated behemoth that protects us from ourselves by robbing us of convenience and choice) required the application of an additional label which calls this "artificially sweetened beer". And makes a point, in an even larger font, in all caps no less, of mentioning: CONTAINS SUGAR.

Oh dear. That can't be good.

A slow pour into a Duvel tulip reveals a coppery gold of remarkable clarity topped by a moussey bright white head that laces splendidly.

The aroma is of oxidized apples and green apple skins, leather, hay and musty basement.

Right off the bat, I was expecting a lot more effervescence and dryness. It's slightly dry in the finish with a wholly unspectacular amount of fizz. The taste is reminiscent of a musty, fruity cider that's gone a bit sour and vinegary. Pleasant. I suppose. But sweeter and more cider-like that I was expecting.

I'm thinking whatever sugar was added to this to make it more palatable to a wider audience has the opposite effect on me. Though, sold along side Mort Subite Kriek and Framboise as it is in the LCBO, I suspect it'll fit into that same niche well enough.

It's light on the palate with a medium body and healthy amount of carbonation.

Drinkable if too sweet, but certainly nothing I will ever come back to and not a great first impression of the style.

03-03-2010 01:54:20 | More by MeisterBurger
JohnnyBarman

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Like a few others, this is the closest thing to a Gueuze I've encountered thus far in the LCBO. Had to snap one of these up.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. About a half inch of head, with lots of sticky lacing. Dark straw, almost amber hue, with lots of visible carbonation.

The smell is sour apples with a bit of vinegar and straw, yet there is also a strong sugar presence as well. Very light hops in there, b

The beer is certainly very sweet, not unlike an apple version of Mort Subite. Certainly not the sour, astringent brew I'd been expecting for a gueuze, but not unpleasant either.

Despite the sweetness, I'm left with a sticky, dry sensation on the palate. Maybe I'm just thirsty... Hearty carbonation, almost like a sparkling wine.

Since this is my first gueuze (or first brew labeled as such), I'm not sure if St Louis is doing the style justice. It's a drinkable beer, certainly a slow sipper, yet not one I'm liable to pick up in the future. Might cellar a bottle for a while, see what it does.

03-02-2010 23:37:23 | More by JohnnyBarman
BigMike

3.53/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. An orangish yellow color with a pure white head of about a finger.

Smelled of floral and lemon zest.

Taste was verygood. Sour, tart, with some hoppiness added. A lot of lemon water flavor going on.very acidic.

Mouthfeel was somewhat light. The tartness seemed to stick to my teeth with acidity but was easy to drink.

Do to the sourness i couldn't drink much more then a glass or two but this was a very tasty gueuze.

03-02-2010 04:21:10 | More by BigMike
St. Louis Gueuze Lambic from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.