St. Louis Gueuze Lambic - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Gueuze LambicSt. Louis Gueuze Lambic

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Gueuze |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 06-04-2003)
GodOfBeer

3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a Blanche de Chambly flute glass. Pours a nice deep golden colour with a thin frothy white head, lots of carbonation and lacing.

Lots of brett yeast in the aroma, candy sugar, apples. Smells like a light version of Orval. Very interesting.

Tastes mostly like it smells, very sweet, somewhat sour, some grassy-hay undertones. The artificial sweetener unfortunately sort of ruins the aftertaste.

Nice strongly carbonated mouthfeel, a very refreshing and drinkable beer. My first Gueuze and somewhat impressed.

04-10-2010 22:07:03 | More by GodOfBeer
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A huge ugly white mailing label adorns this bottle, covering up half of the original label, all to warn us of the added sweetening agents, and the nutritional content. Not that I'm against this information being included, but wow, what a terrible way to do it...once again, way to go, LCBO...

This beer pours a clear medium golden amber hue, with two fingers of thin soapy off-white head, which leaves some random patches of lace around the glass as it quickly abates. It smells of tart ascetic fruit acids, and a bit of cherry/lemon sweetness. The taste is much milder than the aroma had suggested - soft tart cherry and lemon, a bit of metallic funky barnyard yeast, and a sweet white graininess. The carbonation is middling, the body medium weight, a bit prickly, and it finishes off-dry, the funky sweetness persisting.

My first beer ever that contains artificial sweeteners, the same ones in Diet Pepsi, Coke Zero, etc. Hard to tell what effect they have, since this gueuze isn't all that sweet, and the metallic nature may or may not be attributable to their inclusion.

Overall, a nicely subdued version of the style, compared to others that I've tried recently - my teeth are not tingling after every sip!

03-28-2010 01:10:09 | More by biboergosum
ecoastman

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%

I think a couple of these might give me heartburn but one on a hot day would be welcomed. Being my first Gueuze Lambic, I don't have much to compare to. I'll definitely try some others in the summer since this style of beer probably make for great patio refreshers.

I like the crystal clear chestut colour of this beer but it doesn't provide much head and has zero lace.

The aroma is sweet and vinigar-sour with flowery and obvious medicinal phenolics. Also some slight Belgian yeast aroma.

The taste is like the aroma and it goes down refreshingly watery - much like a shandy with fine gingerale-like carbonation or cider.
Unfortunately, I'm a little sensitive to the taste of artificial sweeteners so the acesulfame-potassium leaves a slightly off taste for me in the crisp finish.

03-20-2010 00:17:55 | More by ecoastman
cratez

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

375ml bottle. Part of the LCBO's Spring 2010 Beer Release. Cider golden yellow with amber hues, a ring of white head, and dots of lacing on the stange. Sour candy, horse blanket, and barnyard aromas suggest the use of Brett. I also get some flower pedals. Taste is sweet, fruity malts, citrus, and a lemony, sour tartness that quickly fades away. More funk (woody, herbal) and hints of vinegar in the aftertaste. Not as sugary as I thought it would be, which is a good thing. Light-bodied mouthfeel is spritzy, spiced, and astringent. Decent enough, but I don't actually enjoy it. Meh.

03-04-2010 06:05:22 | More by cratez
ludachris

3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a glowing copper that is perfectly clear quite effervescent, yeilding two fingers of sticky white head that displays excellent retention and leaves long strings of thick patchy lace.

The nose is dry and tart with notes of vinegar, sour green apple, a bit of lemon and hay.

The dry and tart apples turn quite sweet in the palate with notes of sweet lemon and a light bready quality following with a bit of hay. The vinegar moves way back and becomes completely subordinate to the artificial sweeteners that are added, which are also boldly displayed on the label.

The mouthfeel is much different than the nose would lead you to believe. The tart, dry, and sour notes become crisp, clean, and sweet, making it go down a bit smoother. Good balance and an easy drinker.

This being my first Gueuze, I didn't know what to expect, but this left me satisfied. If the sweetness of this derived from real fruits rather than artifical sweeteners, I think it would be a completely different beer. At a slightly higher price tag for a somewhat average beer, I won't be buying this too often, but this one does leave me looking forward to my next gueuze.

03-04-2010 02:16:36 | More by ludachris
MeisterBurger

3.2/5  rDev -2.4%

This'll be my first ever geuze.

I'm disheartened that the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (the monopolistic government operated behemoth that protects us from ourselves by robbing us of convenience and choice) required the application of an additional label which calls this "artificially sweetened beer". And makes a point, in an even larger font, in all caps no less, of mentioning: CONTAINS SUGAR.

Oh dear. That can't be good.

A slow pour into a Duvel tulip reveals a coppery gold of remarkable clarity topped by a moussey bright white head that laces splendidly.

The aroma is of oxidized apples and green apple skins, leather, hay and musty basement.

Right off the bat, I was expecting a lot more effervescence and dryness. It's slightly dry in the finish with a wholly unspectacular amount of fizz. The taste is reminiscent of a musty, fruity cider that's gone a bit sour and vinegary. Pleasant. I suppose. But sweeter and more cider-like that I was expecting.

I'm thinking whatever sugar was added to this to make it more palatable to a wider audience has the opposite effect on me. Though, sold along side Mort Subite Kriek and Framboise as it is in the LCBO, I suspect it'll fit into that same niche well enough.

It's light on the palate with a medium body and healthy amount of carbonation.

Drinkable if too sweet, but certainly nothing I will ever come back to and not a great first impression of the style.

03-03-2010 01:54:20 | More by MeisterBurger
JohnnyBarman

3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

Like a few others, this is the closest thing to a Gueuze I've encountered thus far in the LCBO. Had to snap one of these up.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. About a half inch of head, with lots of sticky lacing. Dark straw, almost amber hue, with lots of visible carbonation.

The smell is sour apples with a bit of vinegar and straw, yet there is also a strong sugar presence as well. Very light hops in there, b

The beer is certainly very sweet, not unlike an apple version of Mort Subite. Certainly not the sour, astringent brew I'd been expecting for a gueuze, but not unpleasant either.

Despite the sweetness, I'm left with a sticky, dry sensation on the palate. Maybe I'm just thirsty... Hearty carbonation, almost like a sparkling wine.

Since this is my first gueuze (or first brew labeled as such), I'm not sure if St Louis is doing the style justice. It's a drinkable beer, certainly a slow sipper, yet not one I'm liable to pick up in the future. Might cellar a bottle for a while, see what it does.

03-02-2010 23:37:23 | More by JohnnyBarman
BigMike

3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a snifter. An orangish yellow color with a pure white head of about a finger.

Smelled of floral and lemon zest.

Taste was verygood. Sour, tart, with some hoppiness added. A lot of lemon water flavor going on.very acidic.

Mouthfeel was somewhat light. The tartness seemed to stick to my teeth with acidity but was easy to drink.

Do to the sourness i couldn't drink much more then a glass or two but this was a very tasty gueuze.

03-02-2010 04:21:10 | More by BigMike
spointon

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%

I had this on tap at the Three Floyds brewpub today - served in a stemmed tulip glass.

A= This ale poured a fairly clear gold with some amber/orange qualities to the hue. The head was snow white and short lived, quickly dropping to a skim. Surprisingly, a bit of decent lace left behind on the glass.

S= A nice back and forth between sweet and sour. The sweetness was like candi sugar while the sourness was full of tart cherries and just a bit of vinegar.

T= Much like the smell. The tart sourness kicked in first, bringing notes of cherry, wood, and a hint of apple. There was a malty sweetness that came next that provided just enough counterbalance to ease the pucker. No hops to speak of. Yeast character was limited to some fruity esters. Finished dry and tart.

MF= Thin bodied with a crisp feel and moderate carbonation.

D= Refreshing and easy to drink. Not the best sour ale I have had but surely a worthy one. Could make a great session beer.

02-22-2010 07:53:59 | More by spointon
Halcyondays

3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours golden with a soft white head, nice lace.

S: Lemon, acid, light notes of funk.

T: The flavour is good, but somewhat one-dimensional. Lemon juice city, with a lot of acid, some sweet malt but it's in the background.

M: Light thin feeling in the end, but I really like the strong acidity, hence the score.

D: This is a solid gueuze, not as complex for sure as others I've had, but the lactic acid is there and it's not a brew that's been dumbed down for the masses, traditional flavours, I just expect more funk and complexity in this style, this was almost Berliner Weisse like in its characteristics.

01-26-2010 23:00:36 | More by Halcyondays
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Picked up a small bottle at a Brussels beer shop to drink in the hotel. Pours into a small wine glass a ripe gold color with a shin off white head that quickly dissolves to thin lace. Aroma contains tart, almost candy like apple notes, hints of vinegar, and a generic Belgian pale fruity yeastiness. The taste is mildly tart and sour on the front of the palate but quickly turns sweet and almost sugary with apple flavors and pale malts making up the bulk of the flavor. Hops seem to be absent entirely. Body is crisp and smooth with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink but not my favorite of the style.

11-23-2009 20:14:36 | More by DaPeculierDane
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.15/5  rDev +26.5%

On-tap 7/25/09 at Track 84 in Warwick, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of tart fruits, vinegar, very light malts and some Belgian yeast.

T: The taste likewise is very tart and sour up front with flavors of citrus and mild Belgian yeast. The malt character is very thin but is exactly where it should be for the style. The after-taste is sour.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is very dry.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not filling at all, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is a really nice sour Belgian beer that isn't as harsh as others of its kind and is worth drinking for a long time.

07-26-2009 19:57:16 | More by TheManiacalOne
dqderrick

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%

Small bottle with no obvious markings of volume. This was flown from by a friend from Belgium.... one of many styles.

This is my first Gueuze style beer so this review may be off from the average.

A - 3.5
Golden with a slight red tint. Very bubbly-fizzy... reminded me a bit of a champagne. Light head stuck around pretty well.

S - 3.5
Sweet with a slight vinegar sour. Smelled good and very refreshing. Reminded me of fruit mixed with a liqueur.

T - 3.5
This was a tough one to rate with it being the first of its style that I've had. Tasted of sparkling apple juice with that woody sour aftertaste. I'd push it to a 4.0, but it seemed just a little too sweet. I wanted more bitter/sour.

MF - 3.5
Nice and sparkling. Very bubbly on my palate.

D - 4.0
Very drinkable. Especially if you are into sweeter lambics. I'm new to the Lambic style... so I'd probably never come back to this one and will try something new within the style. I'm not a big sweet beer drinker... I go more for bitter or sour.

Overall, a fun beer to try with a heightened experience since it was a gift flown over from the source. Thank you Roger!

06-18-2009 04:30:26 | More by dqderrick
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

2.6/5  rDev -20.7%

375ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a deep straw colour, two fingers of head, and a very active carbonation. Great head retention and a wet, thick lacing on the glass. Sour, spicy aroma, not terribly complex, a bit of lemon, nutmeg, granny smith apples, soft woody undertone.

Taste: sickly sweet, oh my God. The aroma was a trick! It's like apple juice without the depth of flavour. The sour note is there, hanging in the background, and a bit of a brett aftertaste, but it's like the added a bunch of sugar to mask what could have been an alright sour beer. Mouthfeel is light and airy with a soft carbonation. It would be refreshing is the beer wasn't so dreadful in the flavour department. No way would I want another.

05-29-2009 02:24:09 | More by trevorwideman
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

1.8/5  rDev -45.1%

Pours a golden apple colour, one finger white head that quickly dissipates. Nose- sweet apple juice, very slight wood. Taste- very sweet, flat and ugly. Grainy, musky, thick syrupy mess. A beer you would give someone if you really didn't enjoy hanging out with said person. A total drain pour. The only "gueze" available in Manitoba and what a gem it is. Figures, thanks MLCC for another piss poor choice. Keep them coming

11-22-2008 22:39:28 | More by oakbluff
ThatWineGuy

3.4/5  rDev +3.7%

A white head with some lacing that stuck around. the colour was a bit more amber than apple juice, fairly clear liquid. Carbonation in evidence, slow and lazy. I happened to have this right after a session in the hot tub and the fruity nose was quite welcome, lemon lime fruit zest and all. The taste was similarly citrus fruit, a bit snappy, with a sour dough bread feel. Some green apples presence; not sugary at all, thanks for that. Overall, I found this refreshing and uplifting although not overly complicated, not bad for the first day of June after spending time in the garden and unwinding in the tub.

06-02-2008 04:01:21 | More by ThatWineGuy
bloberglawp

Quebec (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a heavy apple cider yellow, big foamy white head, fair amount of lacing and medium carbonation.

Aroma of brett, sour candy and spice... its reminiscent of orval. Unfortunately, the orval flavor profile is not present, its rather malty and sweet and not very sour. Still a fair amount of flavor.

A "for the masses" lambic that would be useful to open friends eyes to what beer can be, not your "wild ale sour-heads" dream beer though.

05-31-2008 01:42:25 | More by bloberglawp
cyrenaica

375ml bottle
4.50% ABV

I tried this beer on March 3, 2008 after purchasing from my local LCBO outlet. The beer poured a translucent orangy-red colour with a generous white bubbly head which quickly disappeared. The aroma was faintly sour apples. not as strong as others have suggested. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied, almost creamy, and highly carbonated. The flavour wasn't all that sweet...very reminiscent of the crabapples I used to eat as a child on the way to school. Not a lot of malty flavours or hoppy tones in this one.

05-13-2008 04:36:37 | More by cyrenaica
Mit

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

A- Poured a light amber almost straw colour with an ample head...which quickly dissappated.

S- Slight green apple smell to it. Definite sweetness to this beer at least so far as the smell.

T-I was immediately hit with an even greater sense of apples and fruit. As the beer warmed up the sweetness became exponentially greater. Very fruity but once I reconcilled to that I quite liked it.

M-Very average I am afraid. Slightly watery in the mouth...if not for the sweetness I would swear I was drinking a lite macro.

D- I could probably have a few of these if they were very cold. I do believe that the sweetness would start to bother me very quickly otherwise.

05-09-2008 04:38:24 | More by Mit
irishkyle21

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours with a bright white head, good stickage but not much retention. Has a yellow pee color.

Smells of fruits, wet hay/barn and sweetness.

Tastes blends with the nose, fruits, sugars, a bit of funk and more than enough carbonation. A decent drinker but I cant see myself buying this again.

04-24-2008 03:22:24 | More by irishkyle21
aychbomb

2.85/5  rDev -13.1%

chrystal clear with a deep golden yellow color. thick moussy head that dissipates quickly leaving ample lacing right to the end. highly carbonated w/ big soda-like bubbles.

smells of mild malt and candy sugar w/ lots of fresh fruit: green apples, pears, bananas. no dissernable hop aroma.

tastes like a mild sparkling cider, very subtle hop flavour, mild green apple tartness, far too sweet, unremarkable.

thin like a grocery store sparkling cider, unremarkable.

i suppose this would be a good intro to lambics for a non B/A. overall, unremarkable...by no means bad, just unremarkable.

cheers,
jh

04-17-2008 00:44:26 | More by aychbomb
allergictomacros

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Pours a clear copper with a fairly substantial head.

S - Slightly vinegary sour aroma predominates. Smell is a little bit funky - trainstation bathroom comes to mind - but mild enough that you have to be looking to find it.

T - Quite sweet with a heavy dose of apple flavour. A bit earthy/chalky as well. Not nearly as sour as expected. Very cider like.

M - Fairly light bodied, with a hefty fizzy kick.

D - Not great, but easy drinking. I would drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it.

04-13-2008 01:24:58 | More by allergictomacros
CanuckRover

3.65/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a nice gold with a finger-thick head of foam. Slow carbonation.

Don't get much other than candy sugar on the nose.

Decent taster. Lots of crisp fruit. Pear. Very crisp, very slightly sour green apple, it has a bit of a cider character. Quite sweet, little bit of tartness. Pretty unfortunate metalic taste in the finish. Slightly drying.

It's drinkable. Not challenging, I agree with others, a good introduction to the style for non-geeks. I don't loath it like some.

03-01-2008 21:29:39 | More by CanuckRover
pootz

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%

Not for Lambic purists...but for those unfamiliar with the genre, this is a good starter ale.

Pours hazey- golden-red with a smallish cap that laces well

Aroma od musty burlap, herbs and sweetness.

Tastes like a well blended gueuze but the sweetness is a tad annoying..it has all the musty-earthy tones and herbal balance from long boil aged hops and the tart dryness of a lambic but the added sweetness seems phony.

No reason to discount this as a serious lambic blend...but it is best suited to turning on your wife or friends to this style.

12-20-2007 02:24:21 | More by pootz
thierrynantes

France

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : gueuze à la robe blond dorée, une mousse abondante tenant peu, affervescence moyenne
Smell : nez de pomme, sucré (sirop)
Taste and mouthfeel : sucrée, un peu d'amertume
Drinkability : une gueuez correcte mais sans plus (je préfére la st louis gueuze fond tradition)

11-25-2007 10:16:34 | More by thierrynantes
St. Louis Gueuze Lambic from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.