Kasteel Rouge - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel RougeKasteel Rouge

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: KarlHungus on 09-25-2007

Kasteel Rouge is a blend of Kasteel Donker and cherry liquor. The mix of these two excellent products creates an exceptional soft beer with references to the dark mother beer.
Ratings: 904 | Reviews: 380
1.06/5  rDev -72.2%

This is the worst tasting beer I have ever had. Made with Sour Cherries?!?! Who had that bright idea. I guess if you like cherries, or cough syrup, this beer might be for you. On top of the horrid taste, it is a very low carbonated beer, making it even less appetizing.

1.39/5  rDev -63.5%

I kinda like the color of this beer: brownish red. Smell is not very pleasant. I can somewhat smell the base brown beer under it all, but the main thing I pick up is sugar and cough syrup. The taste. Where do I begin? This tastes like straight up cherry cough syrup with a hint of maraschino cherries. There's a touch of tartness in the finish, but it's not enough to fix this mess. Mouthfeel is sticky and could use more carbonation. This is so gross. Not drinkable.

1.82/5  rDev -52.2%

I have tried Kasteel-Donker and that was good so I decided to pick this one up when I saw it was brewed with cherries. Unfortunately it was a bad idea.

This poured a light cherry color with really small reddish-white head that disapeared quickly.

You could smell the cherries as you were pouring it. The cherries and cherrie juice is all I could smell.

The tase was like drinking cherry pop, cough drops, with some vicks cough medicine. This turned me off as it was way to much cherry flavored.

Really tartness and cherry flavor.

This beer was not for me, way to much cherry flavor and it needed to be toned down.

1.97/5  rDev -48.3%

A: Pours a dark reddish/brown color. At first a two finger pink head forms and gently recedes. Light lace.
S: Very sweet, cherry cough syrup. Not good.
T: Similar to the nose. Cherry cough syrup. Cloyingly sweet. Tastes very artificial.
M/D: Way over carbonated for my tastes. High carbonation and alcohol burn does not make a good beer to drink.

What is this? Nothing I will ever drink again. On occasion I like a good fruit beer, but this tastes like artificial cherries. I will probably end up poring the rest out.

Well, that is yuck!

Super sweet, didn't taste like beer really, tasted more or less like grenadine

2.04/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewer's note: this is among my least favorite styles and features one of my least enjoyable flavors (sour cherries), but I really tried to be objective here.

A: deep, murky red with minimal head. Honestly doesn't look particularly delicious.

S: the Kasteel-Robitussin collaboration is quite apparent in the nose. Super tart cherries all over the place; I'm squinting too hard to find anything else. This is the first time I've ever given a 1.0 to anything, and this is absolutely deserving -- I quickly became a mouth-breather for the duration of this review.

T: the taste is leagues better than the smell (mercy!), albeit not fantastic in its own right. Cherries abound, more sweetness than I expected given the nose, and finishes reasonably clean. Trying to take the style into consideration here, but it's tough, man.

M: medium-bodied with an appropriate level of carbonation. Fits the style.

D: my brother and I split this 11.2oz bottle over lunch, and we were both content with leaving the ~6oz that remained on the table for the trash.

2.18/5  rDev -42.8%

a - dark, opaque raspberry red with a pink head

s - like inhaling a cherry fruit rollup.

t - starts dry and a little bitter for a second before the cherries show up big time on the middle. Huge sour on the finish. It's nice that the dryness fights off an expected cloying sweetness but it's still too much for even half a glass. If they are selling it in a bomber I need to be able to drink a least a glass of the stuff.

m - medium body, medium to heavy carbonation

d - something to be shared. I have trouble finishing one glass and had to set the rest of the bomber aside. Good alcohol masking via the overwhelming sour.

I found the description a little disingenuous. Instead of Belgian Ale with cherry juice added I think it comes across as sour cherry juice with a splash of Belgian Ale. I've had several other Belgian+Cherry combos and none were this fruity. More like a lambic, really. I almost poured it out but I'm saving it to possibly use as a sauce, maybe for pork chops.

2.29/5  rDev -39.9%

Too sweet. Beer for women.

2.31/5  rDev -39.4%

Nice for other people not my type of beer

2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

A dark, purple beer with a very thin head.

Smell is sweet and syrupy. Cherries are evident and come across as artificial.

Taste is syrupy sweet with fake cherry and black currant notes. The first sip gave me goosebumbs, it is like drinking undiluted lemonade syrup. So the mouthfeel is way too sweet and has a sweetener taste. I don't drink the glass, after 3 sips this beer is enough for me.
Usually I am not a big fan of fruitbeers, but this has nothing to do with an artisinal beer, it is sugar-free soda with beer.

2.35/5  rDev -38.3%

Poured from a 12oz short and stubby bottle. This pours a light to medium bodied cherry syrup red. It looks like cherry juice. If you put a glass of cherry juice right next to my glass now I would not be able to tell you which is the real thing. It smells like sweet cherry pie filling with little to no tartness. The flavor however is syrupy and medicinal and has a dusty, musty finish that is very offputting. It instantly makes this one unenjoyable and kills all likeability. It drinks light and sticky due to all of the sugar. Overall this is a medicinal sugar bomb that is not worth your time, especially being as pricey as it is. If you want cherries, go for a kriek.

2.37/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

A: Clear, medium-dark, reddish-brown color. Head is a thin layer of beige foam with a hint of purple; it fades fast with hardly any lacing.

S: Cherry cough syrup. That's it.

T: It tastes like cherry cough syrup, too. OK, not exactly -- There is a tart, fruity taste initially, but it doesn't last long before the cherry flavor takes over. And it isn't a good cherry flavor. It tastes exactly like cough syrup, down to the phenolic TCP flavor, the booziness, and the bitter medicinal taste in the finish. This is not good.

M: It took concentration to separate the mouthfeel from the taste. It was pretty well carbonated, although thin. Just a hint of dryness in the finish.

O: This is Zima with a double-shot of cherry cough syrup. I've had a really good sour beer with cherries before, so cherries aren't the problem. It's the fact that this is simply not a good beer. Pretty much a drain pour.

2.41/5  rDev -36.7%

11.2oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled on 06-08-09.

(A)- Pours a very dark red crimson color. Produced some off-white to pink foam that dissipated quickly.

(S)- Smells just like dark cherry Robitussin; very medicinal with a slightly dry oaky finish. Reminds me of my childhood when I was sick.

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell; dark cherry Robitussin. The only big(and better) difference from the smell is a mild tartness in the fruit.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. Very sweet and medicinal. Reminds me of cough syrup really; only with a slightly tart character to it.

(D)- This is an interesting fruit beer, but very sickly sweet and medicinal; I do not like being reminded of that sickly cough syrup from my childhood with each sip.

2.45/5  rDev -35.7%

Poured from the bottle into a two ounce tasting glass. Served at the Belgian Beer Festival in Boston.

A. Reddish brown body and an off white, pinkish head

S. soft fruit candy, non-spiced gumdrop

T. Carbonated fruit drink...no beer.

M.light

D. apidimi of a sissy drink. No thank you. I like me beer tasting like beer.

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of secret santa: Poured a deep red color ale with a light pink color head with average retention and minimal lacing. Aroma consists of syrupy cherry with too much of sweet cloying notes. Taste is also dominated by the extremely sweet cherry syrup with some very light malt notes. Full cloying sweet body with some average carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Too sweet for my taste buds and too much of the fake cherry syrup comes out for me to enjoy this beer.

2.52/5  rDev -33.9%

Kasteel beer is a very good brand but with this type of beer they won't make many friends. This is no beer to be honest...Best before september 2013.

Poured in my Struise glass this beer starts bad. I had to pour it with force into the glass. Then a tiny head shows up which is gone after two or three seconds. What stays is a cola like fluid with, as far as i can see, no carbonation.

Smell and taste are cherrielike. The alcohol in it makes that you could call this a beer but it isn't. Mouthfeel is like drinking a cherry cola. Overall a very disappointing 'beer'.

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap at Rose Alley in New Bedford, MA

Appearance: Clear dark red hue. Minimal head with no retention. Highly carbonated. No lacing.

Smell: Cherries mixed in Dr. Pepper. Very fruity. Nothing much else going on.

Taste: Dr. Pepper with a hint of Robitussin upon the arrival.
Highly carbonated like the soda. Simple.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Ending notes: I'm not sure if I got the bottom of the barrel, but this beer didn't taste like a beer at all. I was unimpressed despite the positive feedback I've heard while working in a liquor store. A good beer for girls that like Dr. Pepper. Eh..

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

bottled in 2009.

a: Dark cherry pink color; poured with a medium sized off-white head.

s: Cherry cough drops basically. A little booze and a hint of appealing sour cherry.

t: Artificial cherries both sweet and sour, more sweet though. Strong saccharine mid-palate. There was a hint of vinegar that was kind of appealing. A Flanders' brown for a base beer perhaps?

m: Nicely viscous and gently carbonated.

o: Tastes a good bit better than it smells, but still not very good. Awesome cough syrup, but lousy beer.

2.55/5  rDev -33.1%

First beer review for me, I felt I had to for this one.

Poured out of a bottle with the familiar van Honsebrouck logo and a bottled on date "070924". I used a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Thickly poured a velvety crimson, quickly forming a frothy light red two-finger head. Surprisingly large bubbles present. Sits pretty in the glass with very slightly opaque reddish-brown color. Small carbonation bubbles climb slowly through the glass.

Smell- Cherries. Take a cherry coke and toss in some extra cherries. The ale smell is very faint, and mostly just reminds you that there is alcohol present. Overpowering.

Taste- Sweet, sweet cherries. Starts out tasting like cold cherries, and finishes tasting like warm cherries. Somewhere in the middle the comforting Belgian Ale makes a cameo: Slightly nutty and creamy, and then the cherries ride back in. Warm alcohol taste lingers long after the sip along with some kind of sweetness (Honey? Brown sugar? I'm not sure). Very sweet throughout.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and silky. The brew sits in the glass thick but glides in my mouth well. Carbonation feel at the beginning, lessens toward the end.

Drinkability- I'm sorry to say that I would not drink this again. It was a challenge getting through the first 1 PT 9.4 FL OZ bottle as the sweetness and constant cherry tastes were simply overpowering. This is most definitely a dessert beer, and I don't see anyone able to drink much more than 1 bottle. If they'd tone the cherries back a bunch, the fine ale tastes that are present but strangled out would, in the opinion of this reviewer, significantly increase my enjoyment of this beer.

Please let me know what you think of the review. As I said, it is my first and I want to improve upon this skill. Thanks a lot!

2.56/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a dark ruby red color. Has a light purple head. Average retention and thin lacing.

Strong, super sweet cherry aroma.

Well, tastes a bit like medicine with a metallic like aftertaste. Has an artificial cherry Popsicle flavor. Hides the alcohol well.

Medium to full bodied in the mouth with low carbonation.

Love Kasteel but do not like this particular one. Must admit this is not my style of beer but I just think it is too fake cherry tasting.

2.56/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Look: A deep plum color, with some red in the carbonation.
Nose: Cherries. Strong. Luden's cough drops.
Taste: Cloyingly sweet. Syrupy amounts of cherry, berries, and other light, stone fruits.
Feel: Minor body that finishes quite dry.

2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

Pours dark ruby with a good bubbly head that quickly goes away leaving a thin film of bubbles. Good carbonation. Nose smells like yummy cherries, the kind of nose you get from a cherry infused cider. Taste is at first a nice fermented cherry but quickly turns into an almost diet soda sweetness. As it breathes the diet soda-ness but still maintains a strong sugary taste. Doesn't really have any beer-like qualities.

2.63/5  rDev -31%

The bottle reads, Belgian Ale with cherries, and cherry juice added.

This beer pours a clear dark ruby color. The head is large and dark pink in color. It recedes rather quickly into a nice cap of foam. The aroma is of cherries. It is a nice aroma, but completely lacking in complexity. The taste is of cherries, but with a funky sour milk like aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, it is very noticable that this beer is an ale trying to be a lambic, and not a real lambic. I just cannot deal with that rotten aftertaste. This is a drain pour.

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

No... not really for me. The huge raspberry flavor in the aroma and taste really come across as more "cough syrup" like than anything. Not very drinkable, had to sip slowly. There's not a whole lot to this beer other than that fruity flavor that overpowers everything else. A little alcohol bitterness and some metallic aftertaste.

Kasteel Rouge from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.