Kasteel Rouge - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel RougeKasteel Rouge

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Kasteel Rouge is a blend of Kasteel Donker and cherry liquor. The mix of these two excellent products creates an exceptional soft beer with references to the dark mother beer.

(Beer added by: KarlHungus on 09-25-2007)
View: Beers (30) |  Events

North Dakota

05-23-2012 01:42:08 | More by Kam
dgthompson

1.05/5  rDev -72.3%

This is the worst tasting beer I have ever had. Made with Sour Cherries?!?! Who had that bright idea. I guess if you like cherries, or cough syrup, this beer might be for you. On top of the horrid taste, it is a very low carbonated beer, making it even less appetizing.

12-18-2010 17:34:34 | More by dgthompson
goochpunch

1.33/5  rDev -64.9%

I kinda like the color of this beer: brownish red. Smell is not very pleasant. I can somewhat smell the base brown beer under it all, but the main thing I pick up is sugar and cough syrup. The taste. Where do I begin? This tastes like straight up cherry cough syrup with a hint of maraschino cherries. There's a touch of tartness in the finish, but it's not enough to fix this mess. Mouthfeel is sticky and could use more carbonation. This is so gross. Not drinkable.

11-13-2012 03:23:40 | More by goochpunch

09-28-2013 20:54:24 | More by klesniew
tr4nc3d

Kansas

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

I have tried Kasteel-Donker and that was good so I decided to pick this one up when I saw it was brewed with cherries. Unfortunately it was a bad idea.

This poured a light cherry color with really small reddish-white head that disapeared quickly.

You could smell the cherries as you were pouring it. The cherries and cherrie juice is all I could smell.

The tase was like drinking cherry pop, cough drops, with some vicks cough medicine. This turned me off as it was way to much cherry flavored.

Really tartness and cherry flavor.

This beer was not for me, way to much cherry flavor and it needed to be toned down.

01-28-2009 00:31:26 | More by tr4nc3d
champ103

1.98/5  rDev -47.8%

A: Pours a dark reddish/brown color. At first a two finger pink head forms and gently recedes. Light lace.
S: Very sweet, cherry cough syrup. Not good.
T: Similar to the nose. Cherry cough syrup. Cloyingly sweet. Tastes very artificial.
M/D: Way over carbonated for my tastes. High carbonation and alcohol burn does not make a good beer to drink.

What is this? Nothing I will ever drink again. On occasion I like a good fruit beer, but this tastes like artificial cherries. I will probably end up poring the rest out.

04-05-2009 02:51:51 | More by champ103

AndrewMichael

02-01-2012 02:43:15 | More by AndrewMichael
brystmar

2.1/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewer's note: this is among my least favorite styles and features one of my least enjoyable flavors (sour cherries), but I really tried to be objective here.

A: deep, murky red with minimal head. Honestly doesn't look particularly delicious.

S: the Kasteel-Robitussin collaboration is quite apparent in the nose. Super tart cherries all over the place; I'm squinting too hard to find anything else. This is the first time I've ever given a 1.0 to anything, and this is absolutely deserving -- I quickly became a mouth-breather for the duration of this review.

T: the taste is leagues better than the smell (mercy!), albeit not fantastic in its own right. Cherries abound, more sweetness than I expected given the nose, and finishes reasonably clean. Trying to take the style into consideration here, but it's tough, man.

M: medium-bodied with an appropriate level of carbonation. Fits the style.

D: my brother and I split this 11.2oz bottle over lunch, and we were both content with leaving the ~6oz that remained on the table for the trash.

01-19-2011 21:49:34 | More by brystmar
talkinghatrack

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

a - dark, opaque raspberry red with a pink head

s - like inhaling a cherry fruit rollup.

t - starts dry and a little bitter for a second before the cherries show up big time on the middle. Huge sour on the finish. It's nice that the dryness fights off an expected cloying sweetness but it's still too much for even half a glass. If they are selling it in a bomber I need to be able to drink a least a glass of the stuff.

m - medium body, medium to heavy carbonation

d - something to be shared. I have trouble finishing one glass and had to set the rest of the bomber aside. Good alcohol masking via the overwhelming sour.

I found the description a little disingenuous. Instead of Belgian Ale with cherry juice added I think it comes across as sour cherry juice with a splash of Belgian Ale. I've had several other Belgian+Cherry combos and none were this fruity. More like a lambic, really. I almost poured it out but I'm saving it to possibly use as a sauce, maybe for pork chops.

02-17-2009 00:17:25 | More by talkinghatrack
kurgan3

Poland

08-12-2012 14:56:11 | More by kurgan3
aasher

Indiana

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from a 12oz short and stubby bottle. This pours a light to medium bodied cherry syrup red. It looks like cherry juice. If you put a glass of cherry juice right next to my glass now I would not be able to tell you which is the real thing. It smells like sweet cherry pie filling with little to no tartness. The flavor however is syrupy and medicinal and has a dusty, musty finish that is very offputting. It instantly makes this one unenjoyable and kills all likeability. It drinks light and sticky due to all of the sugar. Overall this is a medicinal sugar bomb that is not worth your time, especially being as pricey as it is. If you want cherries, go for a kriek.

12-14-2011 04:34:09 | More by aasher

06-01-2013 23:24:57 | More by Ogre
Absumaster

Netherlands

2.28/5  rDev -39.8%

A dark, purple beer with a very thin head.

Smell is sweet and syrupy. Cherries are evident and come across as artificial.

Taste is syrupy sweet with fake cherry and black currant notes. The first sip gave me goosebumbs, it is like drinking undiluted lemonade syrup. So the mouthfeel is way too sweet and has a sweetener taste. I don't drink the glass, after 3 sips this beer is enough for me.
Usually I am not a big fan of fruitbeers, but this has nothing to do with an artisinal beer, it is sugar-free soda with beer.

04-18-2008 16:58:30 | More by Absumaster
TappaKeggaBrew

2.34/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

A: Clear, medium-dark, reddish-brown color. Head is a thin layer of beige foam with a hint of purple; it fades fast with hardly any lacing.

S: Cherry cough syrup. That's it.

T: It tastes like cherry cough syrup, too. OK, not exactly -- There is a tart, fruity taste initially, but it doesn't last long before the cherry flavor takes over. And it isn't a good cherry flavor. It tastes exactly like cough syrup, down to the phenolic TCP flavor, the booziness, and the bitter medicinal taste in the finish. This is not good.

M: It took concentration to separate the mouthfeel from the taste. It was pretty well carbonated, although thin. Just a hint of dryness in the finish.

O: This is Zima with a double-shot of cherry cough syrup. I've had a really good sour beer with cherries before, so cherries aren't the problem. It's the fact that this is simply not a good beer. Pretty much a drain pour.

03-20-2014 02:51:48 | More by TappaKeggaBrew
sweemzander

2.4/5  rDev -36.7%

11.2oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled on 06-08-09.

(A)- Pours a very dark red crimson color. Produced some off-white to pink foam that dissipated quickly.

(S)- Smells just like dark cherry Robitussin; very medicinal with a slightly dry oaky finish. Reminds me of my childhood when I was sick.

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell; dark cherry Robitussin. The only big(and better) difference from the smell is a mild tartness in the fruit.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. Very sweet and medicinal. Reminds me of cough syrup really; only with a slightly tart character to it.

(D)- This is an interesting fruit beer, but very sickly sweet and medicinal; I do not like being reminded of that sickly cough syrup from my childhood with each sip.

05-08-2011 17:13:45 | More by sweemzander
jneiswender

2.45/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured from the bottle into a two ounce tasting glass. Served at the Belgian Beer Festival in Boston.

A. Reddish brown body and an off white, pinkish head

S. soft fruit candy, non-spiced gumdrop

T. Carbonated fruit drink...no beer.

M.light

D. apidimi of a sissy drink. No thank you. I like me beer tasting like beer.

09-11-2011 03:07:14 | More by jneiswender
atlbravsrno1

Tennessee

05-12-2014 19:59:01 | More by atlbravsrno1
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of secret santa: Poured a deep red color ale with a light pink color head with average retention and minimal lacing. Aroma consists of syrupy cherry with too much of sweet cloying notes. Taste is also dominated by the extremely sweet cherry syrup with some very light malt notes. Full cloying sweet body with some average carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Too sweet for my taste buds and too much of the fake cherry syrup comes out for me to enjoy this beer.

07-29-2008 19:19:12 | More by Phyl21ca
ygtbsm94

11-15-2011 03:01:01 | More by ygtbsm94
Kasteel Rouge from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.