Kasteel Rouge - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel RougeKasteel Rouge

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Kasteel Rouge is a blend of Kasteel Donker and cherry liquor. The mix of these two excellent products creates an exceptional soft beer with references to the dark mother beer.

(Beer added by: KarlHungus on 09-25-2007)

1.05/5  rDev -72.3%

This is the worst tasting beer I have ever had. Made with Sour Cherries?!?! Who had that bright idea. I guess if you like cherries, or cough syrup, this beer might be for you. On top of the horrid taste, it is a very low carbonated beer, making it even less appetizing.

1.33/5  rDev -64.9%

I kinda like the color of this beer: brownish red. Smell is not very pleasant. I can somewhat smell the base brown beer under it all, but the main thing I pick up is sugar and cough syrup. The taste. Where do I begin? This tastes like straight up cherry cough syrup with a hint of maraschino cherries. There's a touch of tartness in the finish, but it's not enough to fix this mess. Mouthfeel is sticky and could use more carbonation. This is so gross. Not drinkable.

1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

1.68/5  rDev -55.7%

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

I have tried Kasteel-Donker and that was good so I decided to pick this one up when I saw it was brewed with cherries. Unfortunately it was a bad idea.

This poured a light cherry color with really small reddish-white head that disapeared quickly.

You could smell the cherries as you were pouring it. The cherries and cherrie juice is all I could smell.

The tase was like drinking cherry pop, cough drops, with some vicks cough medicine. This turned me off as it was way to much cherry flavored.

Really tartness and cherry flavor.

This beer was not for me, way to much cherry flavor and it needed to be toned down.

1.98/5  rDev -47.8%

A: Pours a dark reddish/brown color. At first a two finger pink head forms and gently recedes. Light lace.
S: Very sweet, cherry cough syrup. Not good.
T: Similar to the nose. Cherry cough syrup. Cloyingly sweet. Tastes very artificial.
M/D: Way over carbonated for my tastes. High carbonation and alcohol burn does not make a good beer to drink.

What is this? Nothing I will ever drink again. On occasion I like a good fruit beer, but this tastes like artificial cherries. I will probably end up poring the rest out.

Well, that is yuck!

2.1/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewer's note: this is among my least favorite styles and features one of my least enjoyable flavors (sour cherries), but I really tried to be objective here.

A: deep, murky red with minimal head. Honestly doesn't look particularly delicious.

S: the Kasteel-Robitussin collaboration is quite apparent in the nose. Super tart cherries all over the place; I'm squinting too hard to find anything else. This is the first time I've ever given a 1.0 to anything, and this is absolutely deserving -- I quickly became a mouth-breather for the duration of this review.

T: the taste is leagues better than the smell (mercy!), albeit not fantastic in its own right. Cherries abound, more sweetness than I expected given the nose, and finishes reasonably clean. Trying to take the style into consideration here, but it's tough, man.

M: medium-bodied with an appropriate level of carbonation. Fits the style.

D: my brother and I split this 11.2oz bottle over lunch, and we were both content with leaving the ~6oz that remained on the table for the trash.

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

a - dark, opaque raspberry red with a pink head

s - like inhaling a cherry fruit rollup.

t - starts dry and a little bitter for a second before the cherries show up big time on the middle. Huge sour on the finish. It's nice that the dryness fights off an expected cloying sweetness but it's still too much for even half a glass. If they are selling it in a bomber I need to be able to drink a least a glass of the stuff.

m - medium body, medium to heavy carbonation

d - something to be shared. I have trouble finishing one glass and had to set the rest of the bomber aside. Good alcohol masking via the overwhelming sour.

I found the description a little disingenuous. Instead of Belgian Ale with cherry juice added I think it comes across as sour cherry juice with a splash of Belgian Ale. I've had several other Belgian+Cherry combos and none were this fruity. More like a lambic, really. I almost poured it out but I'm saving it to possibly use as a sauce, maybe for pork chops.

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

Nice for other people not my type of beer

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from a 12oz short and stubby bottle. This pours a light to medium bodied cherry syrup red. It looks like cherry juice. If you put a glass of cherry juice right next to my glass now I would not be able to tell you which is the real thing. It smells like sweet cherry pie filling with little to no tartness. The flavor however is syrupy and medicinal and has a dusty, musty finish that is very offputting. It instantly makes this one unenjoyable and kills all likeability. It drinks light and sticky due to all of the sugar. Overall this is a medicinal sugar bomb that is not worth your time, especially being as pricey as it is. If you want cherries, go for a kriek.

2.28/5  rDev -39.8%

A dark, purple beer with a very thin head.

Smell is sweet and syrupy. Cherries are evident and come across as artificial.

Taste is syrupy sweet with fake cherry and black currant notes. The first sip gave me goosebumbs, it is like drinking undiluted lemonade syrup. So the mouthfeel is way too sweet and has a sweetener taste. I don't drink the glass, after 3 sips this beer is enough for me.
Usually I am not a big fan of fruitbeers, but this has nothing to do with an artisinal beer, it is sugar-free soda with beer.

Kasteel Rouge from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.