Kasteel Rouge - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel RougeKasteel Rouge

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Kasteel Rouge is a blend of Kasteel Donker and cherry liquor. The mix of these two excellent products creates an exceptional soft beer with references to the dark mother beer.

(Beer added by: KarlHungus on 09-25-2007)

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Kasteel Rouge

Bottled:

A- pour yields a 1/2 finger fizy head receding quick leaving a rim of foam. Beer is a deep red with ruby highlights when held to light. 3.75

S- the cherry juice and fresh cherries are most present with a good malt backbone. Smells good. 3.75

T- very good cherry juice and tart cherry flavor hit first that's balanced very well with the malt. Quite good just a tad overly sweet as it warms. 3.75

M- lighter carbonation with a medium body. 3.75

O- good fruit beer. The drinkability is hindered by its' sweetness as it warms though. 3.75

B/low B+

2.54/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

bottled in 2009.

a: Dark cherry pink color; poured with a medium sized off-white head.

s: Cherry cough drops basically. A little booze and a hint of appealing sour cherry.

t: Artificial cherries both sweet and sour, more sweet though. Strong saccharine mid-palate. There was a hint of vinegar that was kind of appealing. A Flanders' brown for a base beer perhaps?

m: Nicely viscous and gently carbonated.

o: Tastes a good bit better than it smells, but still not very good. Awesome cough syrup, but lousy beer.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark dark burgundy color, like a red wine. Semi clear when held to a light, yields a pinkish head that fizzles away quite quickly leaving nothing behind.

Smells like a cherry liquor. Slight hint of alcohol, but the cherries/cherry juice are what completely dominate here. Very faint, way underneath Im getting a hint of chocolate as well which is a nice touch. Smells very sweet and only slightly bitter. I only wish there was some belgian yeast in the nose.

The taste is dominated by a sour cherry flavor. That and some malts deep underneath. Both bitter/sour and sweet at the same time. You can tell this ones got a little kick to it as well but I wouldnt have guessed 8%.
Very very rich. I definitely enjoy it but Im glad it comes in small servings.

A little more carbonation than I would have normally liked but it balances out the syrupy sweetness. Very rich, slight warmth on the way down from the booze.

This is a great dessert beer. I couldnt drink more than one of these, or drink them very often but I really enjoyed it with some dark chocolates.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep reddish-brown in color, capped with one finger of slightly pink foam. Sparse, spotty lacing. Cherry liqueur is prominent on the nose, and I'm not surprised to see the brewery's description stating that it was used. It's a bit artificial and syrupy, but I like it nonetheless. Ripe, sweet cherry aroma through and through.

Flavor is also very cherry-forward, but that doesn't play as well as it does on the aroma. Complexities that may be present in the base Belgian brown ale are masked. Pretty sweet overall but stops short of cloying, and becomes more tart and dry on the finish. As much of a one trick pony this is, I have to give it a slight flavor bump just because it works quite well as a cherry beer. Soda-like mouthfeel, though not nearly as sticky as a cola. It works well with the flavor profile.

Very straightforward cherry beer. Recommended if you're willing to accept that this is in no way close to a traditional Kriek and just want a cherry bomb.

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This was my first fruit lambic. I poured this out of a pint capped bottle into a pub tumbler with Kris Angel on it, which I got as a souvenir from a show in Las Vegas.

Appearance: It is very dark red, like a wine, but not transparent. The head is pink, almost burgundy. I was very impressed with the appearance.

Smell: Cherries,caramel, skotch, malt.

Taste:At first I really liked the maltiness and cherries, but I found it too rich to finish. I think an 8 ounce glass would be enough, Very sweet, Cherries, Alcohol (skotchy).

Overall: I may drink this beer again, but only in limited quantities. I would compare it to dessert wine, because it is good in small quantities, but too rich to drink it all.

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

Before I get going here, I'd like to say at the outset that I am in no way a fruit beer head, so take my review as that, a review from someone with probably less than three bottles of any of it chalked up on my beer wall.

Upon opening, I was immediately impressed by both the color and smell. Nice rich red hue underpinning the overall brown, mostly clear brew. The color enticed me to immediately have a smell as soon as it was poured and it had quite a presence, undoubtedly the smell of real cherries . Lovely smell, not too candy-like, and beckoning the drinker to taste what will be a very real cherry experience and not sugared up and by no means artificial. After 15 minutes, I thought I'd love to have another whiff but the second time around the smell was hardly there. I don't know, maybe I was a bit over-excited at first and imagined the full blown aroma on the first go.

The taste, which admitedly I was a bit apprehensive about, was a real nice suprise. The aroma gives you a clear indication of the taste that is to follow. I think what I liked best is that there are several clear levels to the taste. The first is the quite sweet and flowery/fruity cherry juice flavor, the second being a very meaty, real cherry fruit taste, the kind you taste when you eat fresh cherries, and the the third seemed to be from the cherry skins and pits themselves, a very unique bitter, almost cologne like taste, very interesting.

The overall effect in the hot Thai climate in which I enjoyed this was quite refreshing, something that most Belgians are not able to do. There's a bit of fizz and a light feel to the beer overall which works for hot weather. I am not sure that this would be a good session drink, seemed to me this is great as a one off, but I am not inclined to write it off as such. I am intrigued and will be indulging again soon, for sure.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Kasteel Rouge from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.