Kasteel Rouge - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel RougeKasteel Rouge

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: KarlHungus on 09-25-2007

Kasteel Rouge is a blend of Kasteel Donker and cherry liquor. The mix of these two excellent products creates an exceptional soft beer with references to the dark mother beer.
3.9/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The view of this master beer of Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck 'Kasteel Rouge', is a very good and
a nice dark, red, velvet fluid of very nice pleasure...

The nose brings me back to the Garden of Red Fruits most of fresh dark cherries of the Spring Morning...delicate and sweetness of Nature...

The taste, My God,...in 1 word absolute enjoyment! a Perfect combination of strong dark beer with fruity cherry. My kind of good fruit beer! There are ufcourse cherries in the taste, a soft taste of aromas of beer but not over pounding. Fresh, lightly sweet and very good drinkable, a quite dangerous but a very, very great beer! About the dangerous part it is fresh and a fruity beer but with the alcohol of 8%, you will not recognize it in this fantastic beer. You will drink more and more....

For me one of the best beers ever! (823 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle to a mug. Small ruby head receded quickly. No lacing. Strong cherry aroma. Taste is very sweet cherry upfront with a malty middle, mild bitter/sour cherry finish. High carbonated mouthfeel.

Overall strong cherry dominance hides the alcohol. Would serve well as a dessert/winter holiday beer. (315 characters)

3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Kasteel Rouge

Bottled:

A- pour yields a 1/2 finger fizy head receding quick leaving a rim of foam. Beer is a deep red with ruby highlights when held to light. 3.75

S- the cherry juice and fresh cherries are most present with a good malt backbone. Smells good. 3.75

T- very good cherry juice and tart cherry flavor hit first that's balanced very well with the malt. Quite good just a tad overly sweet as it warms. 3.75

M- lighter carbonation with a medium body. 3.75

O- good fruit beer. The drinkability is hindered by its' sweetness as it warms though. 3.75

B/low B+ (574 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

bottled in 2009.

a: Dark cherry pink color; poured with a medium sized off-white head.

s: Cherry cough drops basically. A little booze and a hint of appealing sour cherry.

t: Artificial cherries both sweet and sour, more sweet though. Strong saccharine mid-palate. There was a hint of vinegar that was kind of appealing. A Flanders' brown for a base beer perhaps?

m: Nicely viscous and gently carbonated.

o: Tastes a good bit better than it smells, but still not very good. Awesome cough syrup, but lousy beer. (515 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark dark burgundy color, like a red wine. Semi clear when held to a light, yields a pinkish head that fizzles away quite quickly leaving nothing behind.

Smells like a cherry liquor. Slight hint of alcohol, but the cherries/cherry juice are what completely dominate here. Very faint, way underneath Im getting a hint of chocolate as well which is a nice touch. Smells very sweet and only slightly bitter. I only wish there was some belgian yeast in the nose.

The taste is dominated by a sour cherry flavor. That and some malts deep underneath. Both bitter/sour and sweet at the same time. You can tell this ones got a little kick to it as well but I wouldnt have guessed 8%.
Very very rich. I definitely enjoy it but Im glad it comes in small servings.

A little more carbonation than I would have normally liked but it balances out the syrupy sweetness. Very rich, slight warmth on the way down from the booze.

This is a great dessert beer. I couldnt drink more than one of these, or drink them very often but I really enjoyed it with some dark chocolates. (1,072 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep reddish-brown in color, capped with one finger of slightly pink foam. Sparse, spotty lacing. Cherry liqueur is prominent on the nose, and I'm not surprised to see the brewery's description stating that it was used. It's a bit artificial and syrupy, but I like it nonetheless. Ripe, sweet cherry aroma through and through.

Flavor is also very cherry-forward, but that doesn't play as well as it does on the aroma. Complexities that may be present in the base Belgian brown ale are masked. Pretty sweet overall but stops short of cloying, and becomes more tart and dry on the finish. As much of a one trick pony this is, I have to give it a slight flavor bump just because it works quite well as a cherry beer. Soda-like mouthfeel, though not nearly as sticky as a cola. It works well with the flavor profile.

Very straightforward cherry beer. Recommended if you're willing to accept that this is in no way close to a traditional Kriek and just want a cherry bomb. (969 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This was my first fruit lambic. I poured this out of a pint capped bottle into a pub tumbler with Kris Angel on it, which I got as a souvenir from a show in Las Vegas.

Appearance: It is very dark red, like a wine, but not transparent. The head is pink, almost burgundy. I was very impressed with the appearance.

Smell: Cherries,caramel, skotch, malt.

Taste:At first I really liked the maltiness and cherries, but I found it too rich to finish. I think an 8 ounce glass would be enough, Very sweet, Cherries, Alcohol (skotchy).

Overall: I may drink this beer again, but only in limited quantities. I would compare it to dessert wine, because it is good in small quantities, but too rich to drink it all. (709 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

Before I get going here, I'd like to say at the outset that I am in no way a fruit beer head, so take my review as that, a review from someone with probably less than three bottles of any of it chalked up on my beer wall.

Upon opening, I was immediately impressed by both the color and smell. Nice rich red hue underpinning the overall brown, mostly clear brew. The color enticed me to immediately have a smell as soon as it was poured and it had quite a presence, undoubtedly the smell of real cherries . Lovely smell, not too candy-like, and beckoning the drinker to taste what will be a very real cherry experience and not sugared up and by no means artificial. After 15 minutes, I thought I'd love to have another whiff but the second time around the smell was hardly there. I don't know, maybe I was a bit over-excited at first and imagined the full blown aroma on the first go.

The taste, which admitedly I was a bit apprehensive about, was a real nice suprise. The aroma gives you a clear indication of the taste that is to follow. I think what I liked best is that there are several clear levels to the taste. The first is the quite sweet and flowery/fruity cherry juice flavor, the second being a very meaty, real cherry fruit taste, the kind you taste when you eat fresh cherries, and the the third seemed to be from the cherry skins and pits themselves, a very unique bitter, almost cologne like taste, very interesting.

The overall effect in the hot Thai climate in which I enjoyed this was quite refreshing, something that most Belgians are not able to do. There's a bit of fizz and a light feel to the beer overall which works for hot weather. I am not sure that this would be a good session drink, seemed to me this is great as a one off, but I am not inclined to write it off as such. I am intrigued and will be indulging again soon, for sure. (1,862 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Picked up an 11.2 oz. bottle of this a few weeks back at Top Hops, having never seen or tried this before. My experience with fruit and vegetable beers in the past wasn't the greatest but the one grew on me a bit as I made my way through the contents of my pint glass. While this may be labelled by many as a "sissy" beer, there was enough alcohol in this to remind me otherwise and keep this from going down too fast!

The pour to this was a deep garnet with a hint of brown thrown in for good measure with a nice head that sounded and settled like sea foam after I emptied the bottle out. Not a strong aroma to this and once I gave it a taste, I knew why. The cherry really strong here and on a thinner level, reminded me of a bottle of maraschino that we had in house for ice cream, when I was growing up. There's a lambic-like tartness under all of this too with a hint of dark chocolate and crystalline sugar thrown in for good measure. Thankfully, the "cough medicine" aspect of this beer is not as strong as I first thought, but it's certainly present as the mouthfeel is heavy and the carbonation is light.

Yes, this was strong but it needed the booze to give it some oomph. While not as sour as a Lambic or light as most other beers that fell under this category, this certainly was a fruit beer that was almost good enough to stand up as a dessert unto itself. It fell just a bit short because the artificial aspect was too pronounced here but even with that being said, this can be enjoyed just on its own and would pair nicely with something like a cheesecake that could add some depth and sweetness to this slightly-mild brew. (1,640 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer was great after having a good meal. Opened a bottle of this as a dessert. The pour was a reddish brown color with a good looking head on it. The smell of the cherries were pretty impressive mixed with a little funk and some yeast. The taste of the beer is sweet and has just a bit of tartness to it from the cherries. The mouthfeel is light and pretty refreshing, has a good amount of lively carbonation. Overall I feel that this beer is quite good. Worthy of checking out. (483 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

An 8% Cherry beer with dark malts. Smells a bit like cherry Sucrets, but not in a bad way.

The taste is dark malts and cherry with some sweetness and a little tartness. Definitely a sissy beer, but I think it tastes pretty good for what it is. Better than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, but that isn't saying much.

My Grandma would love this. (338 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -12.8%

This is one of those beers that is hard for me to judge because it's just not a style I personally like.

Smells awesome as a cherry beverage, very strong with a slight undertone of extract alcohol.

Nice color dark red, very strong sweet zippy cherry burst, the feel of real cherries and that slight taste of extract mixed in. The taste overpowers any actual beer flavorings, no malt or hop character comes through.

This beer was a hit with my girlfriend that does not like beer, I gave it to her to finish. (511 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Serving glass: Poured from tap into Kasteel chalet.

Appearance: Dark ruby red with nice light pink head.

Smell: Cherries, cherries, cherries. More maraschino-like than expected. Some light spiciness.

Taste: Once again, this is about the cherries. Very sweet and maraschino at first, along with some malt depth, but the cherries have a slight tart cast at the finish. Some light spiciness at the finish as well.

Feel: Full, sticky body with low carbonation. Finish is lightly dry and tart despite the mostly sweet taste.

Overall: It delivers what was promised. Liquid dessert. (580 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a brilliant dark red in my appropriate Belgian glassware at an awesome beer bar here....really not much of a head to speak of, however.

Aroma? Cherries. I was actually somewhat blown away by just how much this smelled like sweet cherries. Wow. You can say dessert beer here.

The taste isn't far behind the aroma. It's quite sweet at first with the taste of bing cherries....really quite lovely to be honest, because it's not overwhelming and cloying but VERY delicious....but then some tartness comes across to help balance but not nearly to the level of the sweetness. Again, a dessert beer. You'd better love cherries here.

I saw the ABV was 8 percent just now. Didn't know that drinking it. I actually pondered while drinking it what the ABV likely was. I thought it was probably 5 percent. Pretty much imperceptible. This is 8 percent?? Good lord, it's covered well. Could have fooled me.

Absolutely delicious...I LOVE cherries and I loved this. Sweet, but not TOO sweet with just a hint of tart. Awesome. (1,019 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pretty cool ruby red and light brown appearance. The type that makes diet beer drinkers think you are drinking something wussy, even though it is about twice as strong as what they have. Almost no head though on this red liquid.

Aroma is very, very sweet cherries.

Taste just hits you over the head with cherry flavor, its very sweet, hardly, if not at all tart. Brown sugar. Hides the alcohol pretty well. Really hard to describe anything being of any malt or hop descriptor.

This one is more of a dessert beer than something you can drink a few of at the game. If you don't like cherries, this one is going to piss you off. Seriously, if the idea of a cherry lifesaver roll, melted down with 8% abv sounds gross, stay away from this beer. Me, I'm kinda in the middle, its a neat beer, but a little tiresome beyond 4oz.

On tap at Cheeky Monk, Denver, CO

Review #2300. Kind of like how when you were 18, you thought you'd be dead by the time you were 30. . . (967 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is clear yet very dark red in color (opaque when viewed from a distance) and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high pink head that gradually died down and consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: Moderately strong aromas of cherries are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is dominated by flavors of cherries and has a slight bit of sweetness. It's the type of cherry flavor you get with cough medicine (but in a good way).
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate (rather thick considering the style) and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There are also some slight hints of tartness.
O: This beer can be considered one dimensional, but it's a nice one to enjoy if you like cherries. This would make for a nice selection if you want something fruity but is a lot heavier compared to a lambic. (899 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Having on draft at Jimmy the Greeks in OOB, ME.

Appearance: This beer poured a two finger pink head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a crimson/mahogany color with some clarity and bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Cherry and bready malts

Taste: Super strong cherry flavor, tart, and maltiness. Some bready notes too.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, low to medium bodied, medium carbonation, and a bit chewy.

Overall: Nice sweet and tart notes. Some sour notes and oak flavors too. (485 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +8%

Bottled on 10/27/10. Poured into an oversized Stella glass.

Appearance: A murky brownish, blood red with a thin layer of pinkish bubbles. A little lacing action going on.

Aroma: CHERRIES. Sweet.

Taste: Starts outs with a sweet cherry syrupy flavor, Not really medicinal. A slight sourness pops up in the finish. Nice balance of sweet and sour. A very nice fruit beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a tight fizzy carbonation. A bit softer than soda but the flavors would make you think you were drinking one. No sight of the 8.0%. Nice flavorful fruit beer. (558 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

330 ml stubby bottle,at home. Poured into a Kasteel oversized wine glass. ABV 8%

Pours a really impressive very dark red/brown colour, with a thin line of pinkish soapy head, that quickly dissipates, leaving almost no lacing on the glass, but a thin layer of foam on the beer's surface.
Very strong aroma of cherries coming from the bottle. Once poured, it becomes heavier and is mixed with a wheat and spices smell.
Very sweet taste, mostly cherries, stewed and a blend of other fruits,apricots, peaches, I can taste some pears too. Some spices on the taste too, along with a slighty acidic taste, citrus like. Indeed, aftertaste is more sour than sweet or bitter. For a fruit beer,taste is very nice.
Qite carbonated, thin to medium body. A bit tart on the palate.
Not a fun of fruity beers, unless if it's a hot day and I want something to quench my thirst, and even then most probably I will go for a lager, but anyway, this is very drinkable and made me realize there are good fruit beers out there. (1,005 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -18.4%

330ml bottle served in a Kasteel chalice.

A: Pours a dark and clear color forming a ligh rose color with small retention and very lacings left

S: Very sweet and fruity. Strong notes of cherry syrup

T: Very and too sweet upfront. Again, strong notes of red fruits and mainly cherries. Quite artificial notes of syrup. Some sourness and a mild hoppy bitter end helps to give ir some dignity

M: Medium body and carbonation. Sweet and slightly sour aftertaste

O: Too sweet and syrupy to my taste. Fruit beers, I prefer the drier ones like Cantillons or 3Fonteinens. I do not recommend this one (594 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Pours scarlet red from bottle. Nice faom head.

Smell: Heavy cherry and sweet smells.

Taste: Starts sweet but ends sour and bitter from the cherries and hops.

Mouthfeel: Very full body. Well carbonated.

Overall: Very good beer. Goes well with meals. (264 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was a birthday gift from by brother in law. He knew I liked fruit beers and said I would love this one. He was right.

The poor is pretty good. A light tan head on the beer is kind of underwhelming for the sweet cherry aroma that is there. The beer itself is a dark maroon color. The taste is glorious! It's as if God picked cherries and placed them in your mouth. This is how a fruit beer should taste. It has a long finish; the goodness stays with you for the night. (473 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours brown but has red tints when held to a light. Big tan head that never goes away entirely.
Smells faintly of cherry juice.
Taste is almost entirely cherry juice, very sweet. Just a small amount of sour in the finish.
Overall a very drinkable fruit beer. I'll get it again. (277 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours medium brown with cloudiness and reddish tones. Semi-lacy small head. Looks okay.

Tart cherry syrup, sweet cherry juice, candi sugar, lightly chocolaty malts, nuttiness and wheat bread.

Sweet cherry syrup and cherry cola taste with some tartness that can't quite match up. Full breadth and bruised fruit ripeness. Some pomme fruit and apricot jam.

Supple and sticky. Sugary and ripe. Medium-to-heavy body with light carbonation. Alcohol is well-hidden.

Nice fruit ale with a little too much of that cough syrup flavor. Still rich, but tart. A little heavy on the sweetness. (583 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Leffe goblet. The pour is murky reddish-brown with low carbonation and not much head. The nose is quite nice. Lots of cherries accented by sweet bready notes and a hint of cocoa.

The beer has medium body and firm feel. Nicely balanced on the front of the palate with sweet malt and tart cherries. At mid-palate, some alcohol flavors creep in, mixing with the acidity and giving the beer a wine-like quality on the finish. The sweetness still is present as well as slight chocolate-like notes and an oakiness.

Overall, a good fruit beer, but I prefer fruit beers where the fruit flavor is stronger and isn't competing with too many other flavors. I suppose I should appreciate complexity, but for some reason I don't when it comes to fruit beers. There's something about the exact mix of flavors here that just didn't quite work for me. I'll likely revisit this one again someday. (909 characters)

Kasteel Rouge from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.