Kasteel Rouge - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel RougeKasteel Rouge

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: KarlHungus on 09-25-2007

Kasteel Rouge is a blend of Kasteel Donker and cherry liquor. The mix of these two excellent products creates an exceptional soft beer with references to the dark mother beer.
3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

Deep red color with just the slightest bit of light able to pass through. The head was abrubt and gone within seconds, like a soda pop.

Smell is all cherries. It's pretty one dimensional. It smelled like artificial cherry.

It tastes like cherry robitussin. Extremely sweet, artificial cherry flavor with a slight medicinal burn.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and sweet.

I was not a big fan of this. I was hoping for something more tart but this was extremely sweet and syrupy. Not something I'd try again.

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

A- Pours dark red with about a thumb worth of light foam. Looks a lot like a sparkling cider; most heavily carbonated beer I've ever seen

S- Cherry... lots of cherry

T- Very, very sweet cherry flavor. the 8% alcohol is hidden under layers of sugary cherry flavor. I would have loved it as a child (not sure if that's good or bad)

M- Quite fizzy

D- If you don't mind that it tastes more like a soft drink than beer than you might have a hard time putting this down. I, for one, will not discriminate as my sweet tooth prevails. I just wish I saved it for desert

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

First off, this came in one of the coolest goblets ever, with a representation of what I am assuming is the brewery molded into the long square stem. The beer itself was dark as black sweet cherries with a deep pink head that was very foamy and fizzy. The head eventually settled into a pink collar that left no lace at all. The aroma was incredibly fragrant and full of tart cherry deliciousness. I was hungry when I drank this and it actually made my mouth water. Though the smell was dominated by tart cherry, it was very sweet overall, and seemed a tad artificial, more like store bought cherry pie filling than my mom's homemade Michigan tart cherry pie. The flavor was quite well balanced with tons of sugary sweetness, but also a good amount of tartness to keep it from getting out of control. Rich tart cherry flavor ruled the day, but all that sweetness also produced juicy dark sweet cherry flavors that melded with brown sugar notes. I am starting to think this would be an amazing dessert beer. The body is medium, and it somehow manages to stay quite smooth even in the finish, with just a bit of stickiness. This was a surprise with all the sweetness it had going on. It had the perfect amount of carbonation, so perhaps that helped. Though this is a very well made beer, it is perhaps a bit sweet to be extremely drinkable, though compared to its contemporaries, it holds up pretty well in that department. I just realized this is an 8% beer, something I had no idea of when drinking it. I think I will have to raise the drinkability score. Chalk this one up as being surprisingly enjoyable.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

330 mL stubby with a bottled code of 070716, thinking this was brewed in 2007 perhaps? It has been in my cellar for quite some time. Pours a dark reddish-brown color with a pinkishly purple fizzy head. Fades quick and leaves a lasting collar and sheen.

Nose is bursting with dark cherry pie filling. Somewhat sweet and plenty tart, but there is not much else in here in the way of malt, yeast or hops. Smells delicious though.

Sweetness is balanced a bit by some tartness and maybe a touch of sour. Cherries, raspberry jam and more cherries...tastes very much like pie filling. Alcohol is detectable but does not seem as high as 8%. Carbonation is low and the body is full. It seems like a little bit of dark malt is there if you really pay attention. This is a dessert beer of the highest order. Vanilla ice cream with a square of dark chocolate? Oh yea.

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Holy Cherries. This is a very fruity beer with strong cherry flavor, and ample cherry taste. I have had this beer both on tap and in an aged bottle and I think the beer in a bottle is better. The cherry sweetness subsides a bit over time, which marries better with the beer over time and allows for some complexity to come through without being overwhelming. It's good to have a small pour, but anything more than 8 or 10 ounces would be too much.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Served in a Kasteel chalice.

Drinking this would be a cherry gig indeed! Ahem. Sorry. It pours a mostly clear ruby topped by over a finger of ecru foam that holds a slight pinkish tinge. The nose comprises more than a healthy contingent of cherries, chased by a slight medicinal quality. Something akin to Cherry Coke lies beneath this mass, but can't quite find the right words to express itself. The taste mirrors the smell, though the cough syrup is toned down a bit, allowing the cherries to explore a somewhat more sour path to enlightenment. Again, the Cherry Coke is there as well, possibly aged in some dry oak barrels (not enough to allow a lambic-style experience to blossom, but just enough to be vaguely recognizable). The body is a solid medium, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat drying finish. Overall, a solid fruity Belgian, though not necessarily one I would be able to contantly down.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance -- Deep, dark burgundy with a pinkish head that stays put.

Smell -- Cherries, along with a faint whiff of alcohol.

Taste -- Cherries. Whole lot of cherries and a faint taste of malt. Very sweet, then puckering tartness. Fairly one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied, with ample carbonation. Fairly dry finish for a beer so sweet.

Drinkability -- This was the first time I've had this beer since college and was wondering if my 'refined' palate would still agree with the rouge. All in all, I still really like it.

The sweet/tart cherry flavor was agreeable, though this beer absolutely causes beer fatigue; great for one, maybe two glasses, but then you want to move on...

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

A: An impressive dark red. Very bubbly. Head settled down to a subtle lacing.

S: Smells strongly of cherries. I was worried that it would have smell like cough syrup, like Lindemans, but it's much nicer.

T: Reminds me of cherry soda, but more full flavored, but also more bitter.

M: Also, like soda-pop.

D: Not my favourite. I can appreciate the flavors, but I won't be buying this again.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

I opened the bottle and right away I could smell the cherries.I poured the bottles (one for me and one for my wife) into pint glasses. There was a very nice head on both glasses. Although at this point the cherry aroma was very strong almost too strong. In the first two to three sips the cherry is very strong, but after that it was very nice as the beer warmed a little. Over all it was a very nice drink more like a cordial than a beer. This was my first experiance with this beer and I am looking forward to having another.

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%

Opaque red in color, not much of any head with no lacing.

S - Mostly cranberries, with some cherry notes.

T - Follows the nose, with more cherry flavoring coming through. Very tart on the finish.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation, finishes nice and crisp.

D - This was my first fruit/veggie beer, and I didn't really know what to expect. Overall, it was good for one serving, but I wouldn't get another. By the end, it was just too sweet for me. The alcohol was well hidden, and I couldn't get a hint of it at all. It felt like I was drinking cranberry juice.

4.49/5  rDev +18.2%

Not gonna lie, this beer was one of my personal favorites. May not be to your liking but it really helped me learn what beer can be.
Appearance: nice deep dark color with hints of a blood red in the tints. Decent head.
Smell: Smells like a nice sweet cherry juice.
Taste: You start out drinking this and you get a really fresh bitter but sweet cherry flavor. As you continue to drink it the alcohol content starts to balance out the flavor and make it mellow. Very odd sensation.
Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Not to heavy considering the sweetness. Hard to drink more than one but very easy to enjoy it. A fruit beer with 8% alcohol, definitely breaks some molds. Again i might like it more than most.

A -- A deep red amber with a solid head that dissipates into a light froth. No lacing to speak of.

S -- Cherry, clove, other spices I can't really identify, lightly boozy and a little tart.

T -- Deeply cherry, sweet then tart, fading into an extremely light malt. Sweet but not syrupy, clean finish which is a little surprising. At 8 %, can't detect the alcohol.

M -- Light on the tongue and yet full bodied. A twinge of pucker from the cherry.

D -- Overall, very drinkable. I thought this was a very good beer, worth a repurchase when an occasion arises. I know it's not the same style, but with the same basic flavor profile I find it more palatable than the lambics that I've had as it isn't nearly as sweet and has a complexity that those just don't match.

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed this last night at "The Lodge" in Boca Raton, Florida. The beer came served in a Kasteel glass that was matched to the specific beer.

Thin film of foam topped this bright red/maroon beer. Deep ruby color with a small amount of visible carbonation. No lacing at all.

Aroma was sweet and of cherry. Almost candy like.

My God, is this a beer or a cherry soda? Seriously, this far sweeter than I had imagined. If I was hot/thirsty I could have downed the glass in a moment. Of course, that wasn't the goal or my desire. Cherry candy/cough drop flavor. Cheery Lifesavers? While it tasted very nice, I wouldn't call it complex by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I tried to spend some time with it looking for complexity that just wasn't there.

Spritzy, bright, refreshing and light in body. Sweetness lay on your tongue but wasn't cloying.

Really drank like a soda and was refreshing, but didn't provide the punch or complexity that I look for in beers.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer goes down like a cherry soda. I had it at Ebeneziers Pub on draft. Sweet beer but drinkable. The 8% alcohol is not noticeable. I have not had it in bottle yet-but soon it is in the fridge. It come sin a champagne like bottle. It cost around $9/bottle but you get a couple of servings in that.

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

A- Reddish purple color on the edges and brown in the middle. Transparent but dark. The head is weak but better than a macro

S- You asked for cherries and you got 'em. Tart cherries and clean booze with a hint of Continental hops. Some funky yeast scents develop as the drink warms.

T- Cherry pie anyone? Loads of sweet cherries on top of a gooey graham cracker crust. The alcohol is hard to notice

M- A bit sticky. Reminds me of juice but slightly thinner and slightly carbonated

D- I go through this stuff like water in the desert and it's great at dessert also. Hard to pair with an entree but great for before and after.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Deep crimson, cherry oak color. About average sized bubbly head that is a mix of off-white and red. Disappears pretty fast, but leaves a good lacing.

S - Lots of cherry smell, both sweet and tart. Sometimes it smells more like a cherry/cranberry juice and other times more like a cherry candy or Kool-Aid. I keep smelling to try to find more smells, and keep getting a very faint background that seems to have the brown ale smells, but this is quite faint and always gives way to the cherry.

T - Tart cherry kick to start off the sip. This then mellows out into a sweeter cherry taste that accompanies the brown ale malts. Along with that finish is an earthy kind of taste with a bit of wood taste and a whisper of vanilla (less than what usually will accompany a woody tasting beer). Throughout the sip, there is a faint, but steady, sourness as well as a vinous taste. Different levels of sweet, sour and tart at different times. Alcohol is very well hidden.

M - Medium body with slightly above carbonation. Good amount of sweet stickiness to the beer.

D - Depends on how much you like cherries, and how much you like some sweetness in the beer. The sweetness and stickiness hurt drinkability a bit, and I probably wouldn't want another in a night. However, I would want to drink it again if I was craving something cherry and slightly sweet.

Notes: Lots of cherry flavor. I think it would make a good dessert beer (like their Brune). Slightly sweet, but nothing like the overly sweet lambics, and it has enough tart and sour flavors to give it more of a balance and more than one dimension. Seems somewhere between a sweet lambic and a Flemish Red. Good for a sweet and sour/tart cherry kick.

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

The wife, who hates beer, liked this stuff. It goes for around $80/case here in eastern PA. Basically reminds me of the Frank's Cherry Wishniak I used to drink as a kid growing up in Philly. Carbonation is there, not too bad. Deep maroon color. Very hard to detect any alcohol. Unusual in that unlike many beers that I prefer a little warmer, this seemed best right outta the fridge. Best in the summer I would think.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

750ml bottle, bottled on 11/27/07 - cork dated 3/08. Pours a murky brownish red (almost plum) with a very small fizzy head that quickly goes to a thin collar that leaves little lacing.

The aroma is subdued - sweet cherries and musty wood.

The flavor is sweet sugary cherries with some tart sourness in the finish. There's some woody malt balance, but the sweetness is a bit cloying. The mouthfeel is medium to full with spritzy carbonation.

Overall, a nice fruit beer. Reminds me a lot of a poor man's New Glarus Belgian Red. It's overly sweet and cloying and needs more balance. I remember liking this a little more on tap.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance - Beautiful deep red colour. Hardly any retention and just a slight bit of lacing. Light pink colour to the head.

Nose - Smells of black cherries and apple cider. Sweet and possibly slightly sour.

Taste - Quite sweet. Tastes like a cherry champagne with malty after notes. Not very sour and doesn't taste much like a beer.

Mouth Feel - Very sharp carbonation that steals some maltiness. The taste lingers into a slightly cherry-like alkaline finish.

Overall - Very drinkable but unfortunately doesn't taste very beer-like. This isn't a negative, just different than anticipated. Tasted a little 'fake' but still enjoyable if you want to try something different. Would be a great champagne replacement if you want to keep some manly dignity at a celebration.

It's not going to drink itself! Try it!!

-Khillje

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my La Choufee tulip. Pours a very solid, dark, and murky ruby red. Very nice size cherry-white colored head. Reminds me already of Lindamens Frambois Lambic...which I'm not a fan of(style wise), but I take that into consideration when I review. Head dissapates pretty quick. Also appears to be a little fizzy at first, but quickly calms.

Aroma is huge of cherry juice, no surprise there. The aroma is also light at first, but as I drink, becomes very sweet and strong. Other than the cherries, it's hard to point at anything other than a fruity nose.

Ok, not bad at all. Still sweet...expected. But very decent. Good infact. Still a fruity beer that I wouldn't neccessarily buy...ever, but that's based on preference of style. But by itself, it doesn't need a Hoegarden to mask the sweetness like some other "Lambics". Again, lots of cherries, carbonation, and only slightly malty. Medium to light mouthfeel, yet sweet. Once again, not bad at all.

3.23/5  rDev -15%

Kasteel Rouge, poured from a bottle into a pint glass. A stunning red color with fine clarity.

Smells of ripe, picked fruit. Bing cherries.

Tastes like carbonated cherry juice. Fruit snacks. Almost as if someone had drank all the belgian ale in the bottle and then poured cherry soda in. Its tart, sweet and tasty, yet does not resemble a beer.

Mouthfeel has a good level of carbonation and medium bodied.

Drinkability is limited due to the sweetness and the strength. A noble fruit beer.

3.71/5  rDev -2.4%

Served at my local beer bar/pizza shop, Pizza Port in Carlsbad,CA. Served in a Belgian Chalice.

A- Pours a dark ruby, lets in very little light even when held against the Californian sun. There is about 1.5 fingers of head that is a light pink color, think pink cotton candy. Overall, a nice looking beer, but the head color appears to be a bit artificial looking.

S- Super sweet cherries attack the nose immediately. With some more investigation, I got some toasted as well as some carmelized malts. Overall, a rather tight nose, unfortunately. The sweet cherry smell is so forward that it makes it difficult to pinpoint other characters.

T- For the alcohol content, this guy could easily be a session beer. Nice cherry flavor, with a tinge of malty breadiness in the back to add more flavor profile to the beer. Not as "fake" tasting as Lindeman's, so I would certainly give this brew to someone who traditionally is not a beer person.

M- Very prickly carbonation throughout. The stinging carbonation took a bit away from the beer.

D- I could drink this guy all day. This is an easy drinker, not especially complex, but it sure does taste good.

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottle drank at Adam's party.

I've had this a bunch. Good beer, 100% perfect gateway to sour or Belgian beers.

Ruby red with a small head. Really red color, almost looks artificial.

Cherry, yeast, and sugar smells. Kinda reminds me of cough drops.

Tastes like cherry sweethearts candy. Sugary residual flavor makes this unique.

Too carbonated, average m/f.

Overall a pleasant fruit beer. I'll drink it whenever it's around but I don't seek it out. Some friends and ladies I know love this though, and rightly so.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at TJs in Paoli 12/26/09

Served in a casteel glass goblet style glass. Murky dark red/brown serving color with very little head. Big cherry smell right up front. Taste is mainly cherry, almost had a robitussin taste at times but I still found it very good. Mouthfeel is very nice with good overall carbonation. Drinkability was very high in my opinion. I had no idea it was an 8% abv until I just saw it on here. Feels like half that...maybe thats why I was so drunk having 2 of these after 2 dorado's. Nice offering and I am glad I ordered it.

3.99/5  rDev +5%

Bottled in 2007

Pours deep red with a fizzy reddish-brown head. The overall color is a bit muddy though.

Aroma blasts forth with cherry. A little medicinal and laffy taffy-ish but good overall.

Flavor is like a cherry candy or bubblegum. Some alcohol comes through and there may be an off flavor due to the age, i'm not sure. Could be compared to cough syrup if one inclined but the mouthfeel isn't really syrupy.

Pretty tasty, probably better fresh.

Kasteel Rouge from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.