Brigand I.P.A. - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Brigand I.P.A.Brigand I.P.A.

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Absumaster on 03-28-2009)
Reviews by benfons:
3.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a regular Brigand glass

A: Bight copper colour, thin head that dissapears very fast, but eaves some lacing.

S: Citrus fruits, a hint of caramel and rock candy.

T: Very bitter and hoppy, some citrus in the background

M/D: Too thin for my taste, lacks a bit of carbonation, and a bit of a soapy feel. Alcohol is there but not too much.

Really not my cup of tea.

3.55/5  rDev +5%

3.15/5  rDev -6.8%

IPA from Belgium.
Colour light brown, fluffy good head, good carbonation on this sample.
Smell is mildly hoppy for an ipa. Mostly dry hopped too, I think.
Taste is massive sharp and bitter. Apart from malts, there isn't much else to discover.
Alcohol is rather evident. It's ok, but I'm glad it's 'only' 6.5%, and not 8.5 or something.
Drinkable, but not too much.

I'm relatively new to the IPA style (in fact, I've only had about 3 or 4 different kinds, recently).
This IPA, however, lacks the fresh hoppiness in previous samplings of this style, and that I had hoped to encounter in this one too.
In fact, I've had beers that tasted like this often enough, and those weren't called IPA at all.

3.73/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from my Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a clear, Golden straw colour with a one fingered White head that reduces slowly to a lacing film.

S - Plenty of pine and citrus with a little spice.

T - The citrus and hops combine well to make this a nicely balanced beer. The yeats and malts a re subtle but compliment the overall flavour.

M - Light to medium body with medium carbonation.

O - A very well structured BIPA that I recommend

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

33 cl Bottle @ in den stillen genieter , Mechelen

A : Golden pour with a white head , no lacing
S : Aromas are caramel and tea with earthy light pine hops. T : Flavours are sweet caramel with dry, lightly bitter green hops. Some sweet toffee and tea with yeast and a bitter, woody finish. Not a true IPA but overal not bad

3.38/5  rDev 0%

A dark copper and clear beer with a creamy head, which leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell is biscuity and light malty with notes of caramel malt. Light candisugar. The yeast adds a light fruitiness. No hint of hops, whatsoever.

Taste is biscuity and pretty dry, a light and smooth drinking beer with some bitterness. According to the brewer this has 40 IBU, but I seriously doubt this value. I agree that the bitterness develops further down the glass, but this does not taste like 40 IBU. The Belgian yeast adds a fruitiness, that reminds me most of raspberries.

This beer is not like any other IPA I ever drunk, it lacks any hoppy character, but that is what it probably makes it a Belgian IPA. To me it is an above average bitter Belgian Pale Ale.

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours rusty bronze with a fluffy white head that quickly fades to a patchy film and sheets. Candle wax yeast and the imaginings of lemon on a pretty dead nose. Sour brown toast grain with spicy (Saaz?) hops and some yeasty clove, too. Drying bitter finish and tingly linger. Medium, fizzy, chewy and like another said, soapy.

What is this and what is it supposed to be? A month off the expiration date, so I'm wondering if it died somehow, but either way not to style at all - too dark and toasty to be a Belgian ale and not nearly enough hops to be a US IPA. I'd believe it if you told me this was a English best bitter (and it wouldn't be bad for that!)

A mislabeled clunker. Skip it.

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

Had on tap tonight at Fire Works in Arlington, VA. They said they are the only restaurant in the US that has this on tap, but who knows.

a - Pours a transparent, golden light-amber color with less than 1 inch of white head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of citrus and floral hops, as well as wheat.

t - Tastes or citrus hops, fruity malts, apples, floral hops, wheat, and bready malts.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A decent IPA but nothing special. Some nice apples in the taste and hops in the smell. Probably wouldn't seek out again.

Brigand I.P.A. from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.