St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Gueuze Fond TraditionSt. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-03-2002

Ratings: 920 | Reviews: 330
1.49/5  rDev -62%

Pour is hazed deep orangish amber with a good bit of white head. Nose is burnt sulfur, almost like the cooked ash of a firework. Taste is pretty rough, overly sweet and sugar with tons of burnt sufur and burnt out sparkler. Just bad, don't drink.

2.06/5  rDev -47.4%

Draft at Toronado. Nice dark amber color with a small white cap, a few shades darker than the average gueuze. The aroma is interesting, big apple cider character along with a bit of orange juice, vinegar and pale malt. Very little bretty funk. Pretty similar on the palate, very cidery and acetic, oranges and pears, light tannins and a hint of malt. Decently complex but quite acetic for a gueuze, almost just tastes like a stale apple cider. Not terrible, but I can't say that I'm a fan.

2.32/5  rDev -40.8%

Some serious off-flavor from the bottle... plastic almost. It doesn't suck but it's off-putting.

2.46/5  rDev -37.2%

I'll be honest - it's my first Lambic. I knew to expect sour but the tastes in this were odd.

Poured a hazy tan with a big head which died down pretty quickly. Personally I don't taste the sour lemon or other fruit flavors other reviewers stated. Instead what the smell and taste both remind me of is way undercooked hamburger. Seriously. I don't doubt this is probably an excellent example of a Gueuze Lambic, but it just doesn't do it for me.

2.62/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

On draft. Some rubber and plastic in taste that is really unfortunate. Smells like and really should be a decent budget gueuze but the off flavors make it marginally bad. Never had from bottle, hopefully a lot better in bottle.

2.79/5  rDev -28.8%

375 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Best by 9/2015. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Clear yellow with no head and oodles of sediment. I can forgive sediment, but where's the carbonation?

Smell - Acidic. Sour apples and lemon. Too much vinegar and not much funk. Boo!

Taste - Like the smell, very sour and very vinegary. A lemon sour with a dry finish. Again, no funk.

Mouthfeel - Dry and quite puckering, but not a tasteful pucker or a complex pucker. Not much carbonation.

Overall - Not a good gueuze, but drinkable. Very sour and vinegary without the characteristics I love about the style.

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: Very slightly hazed bright-gold. Head is bright-white, super fluffy and sticks around for a bit. No lacing to speak off. Head dwindles to a small cap in short order. Pronounced carbonation pulls throughout.

Smell: Lemon zest and flesh. Crisp green apple. Just a touch of barnyard. Slightly floral and a little sweet. Some oak/earthiness creeps through the back, but there's not a lot of depth. All of the aromas are up front and disappear pretty quickly. Crisp and clean.

Taste: There's the barnyard. Killer green apple flavor plays over some thin hay and grass notes. Faint earthiness on the back. Citric bite is heavy. Oak rounds things out in the long run. As with the nose, the taste is all up front and doesn't really provide much depth.

Mouthfeel: Almost violently caustic. Crisp and clean. Nice carbonation. Bubbly like champagne. Smooth through the middle. Lacks a little extra punch, but solid.

Overall: Packs a tart/sour punch, but that's about it. Nice green apple flavor keeps things interesting, but it's not rewarding. A decent middle of the road gueuze in every way.

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

10 oz. pour into a wine glass, enjoyed at Deep Ellum. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a clear peach, with wonderful clarity. A half-finger white head forms, and lasts for some time. A great-looking guezue.

Tart, vinous notes abound in the aroma. Just a whole host of various funky elements, with a pronounced lactic note throughout. Pretty strong citrus here, almost bracingly strong lemon in the mix.

The taste is far sweeter than the aroma suggests. There is certainly a fair amount of tartness, with a healthy dose of citrus and lemon, but it seems tempered given how sugary this seems. Some bread, biscuit in the finish does temper this particular aspect of the beer.

Mouthfeel is something of a letdown, this seems undercarbed. Given that this was a draft pour, I expected a little more life.

Perfectly middle-of-the-road for me. Given the price of my pour ($9), I can't see myself springing for this again.

3.02/5  rDev -23%

not blended well. stale bread. harsh

3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

just wanted more funk to it

3.07/5  rDev -21.7%

375ml green capped bottle. Bottled on 6/20/08, so almost 3 years old. Poured into a St. Louis flute.

A - Pours a slightly hazy dark orange-gold with a 2-inch white head that quickly settles to a slight ring and haze.
S - Musty, sour aromas of lemon juice and green apples with a hint of vinegar and oak. Very nice, not as sour as some Gueuzes, the mustiness prevails.
T - The initial intense taste of lemon juice, sour apples, and hay quickly takes a nosedive, leaving very little complexity and flavor in the mid-palate and finish, just a general acidity. Disappointed to say the least, almost becomes watery in the end.
M - Medium-thin bodied with very crisp, sharp carbonation.
D - While I had no problem finishing this one, I won't get it again. The price may be right (at $7.50), but I'd rather pay a couple bucks more for a World-Beater Gueuze (Cantillon or Boon), not this pale imitation.

3.07/5  rDev -21.7%

A: Out of a Tulip, this beer pours a somewhat hazy peach color with a white head that dissipated quickly even with visible rising carbonation bubbles.

S: Its all summer fruit here. Apple, pear, peach, I even believe I pick up celery.

T: Very sour! I don't know if this is normal levels of sourness for a sour beer because this is my first Gueuze. I get some of that fruit from the nose in the taste. Somewhat astringent too.

M: This is a beer that has a very dry finish. High carbonation with a light body.

D: Due to my lack of experience with sours, I rate this at a fairly low drinkability, even with the moderate alcohol level.

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured a very clean and clear light amber, had a nice creamy off white head with nice retention and some light lacing.

The smell is oddly spicy with a definite bit of nutmeg and a touch of sweetness.

The flavor is tart and slightly sour, but has a very traditional wheat beer type of malt quality sneaking through more than most Gueuze's do. More regular beer like and a bit less Gueuze like. Is much sweeter than most as well and I'm also getting the nutmeg in the flavor as well as a bit of oak.

The mouthfeel is light and almost a touch syrupy, not the dry quality that I would expect.

Overall this one is one is just ok.

3.14/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: Light, with hints of yellow, orange, red, really a nice-looking beer. Head was about an inch when I poured it and dissipated to a just a little foam pretty quickly.

Smell: Smells a lot like I remember a kriek smelling last week. Hmm. Definitely some cherry smells. A little bit sour smelling. Also a little grassy and dank, but not in a bad way.

Taste: Yeah, definitely sour up front, with some lasting... bitterness? Not what I generally taste in terms of bitterness, but it's there. This is my first gueuze. Not sure I'm a big fan. Still picking up a grassy, hay-ish kind of aftertaste. I think I get why people might like it, it's not bad. Tastes pretty well-balanced, as far as I can tell (which is not far). A slightly sweet after-aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated. It's been sitting for a little while and I still got a burst of carbonation at the beginning of the last sip and at the end. Probably a little over-carbonated for me. Definitely not watery, seems pretty strong. A little coarser, I think, than usual.

Overall: They say that if it looks like a pig, acts like a pig, and tastes like a pig. This looks good, smells good, but to me doesn't taste good. So I'm guessing this style just isn't for me. I can't taste anything wrong with it, just don't like it. Bear in mind that while I've been drinking beer a little while, I'm new to reviewing and this is my first of the style.

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle shared by Steve, bottled April 24, 2012. 375ml into a tulip.

Filtered orange, with a white head. Light lace and medium retention. Nose is earthy, tart lemon, light mushroom and some herbal character. Taste is tart upfront, lemon, light earth, with a grainy/cereally pale malt. Neutral, not notably sour in the end. Light bite to the carbonation, medium high carb. OK, but the malt finish was off-putting.

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%

Murky, muddy, and cider-like appearance with a decent head that scrambles away leaving a tiny ring around the edge. This is the darkest and cloudiest gueuze I've had -- definitely not a great-looking beer.

Funky and slightly medicinal on the nose, with some fruit. Not a sharp and fresh lemony scent, but more of a tropical fruit character. Similar taste: unidentifiable light fruit with some earthy notes. However, there really isn't much complexity here. The earthy tones from the bugs are pretty one-dimensional, and that dimension is nothing too special. Tart acidity on the finish, but I certainly wouldn't call it puckering.

The mouthfeel is this beer's best characteristic. It is medium-light with fairly high carbonation, but it's actually very smooth. I enjoy super-sour beers, but the absence of that characteristic here makes this one damn drinkable on a hot day. Overall this is a good beer, but nothing more. While I would be more than happy to drink this for free, I think I will stick with Girardin if I'm shelling out 8+ bucks a bottle.

(Bottled June 2008)

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottle

Urge Gastropub
San Diego, CA

A dull orange and peach with a thin white head. Highly carbonated. Looks thin, with a myriad of little bubbles racing their way to the top of the glass.

The aroma is of tart lemon, some wood, yeast, and barnyard funk, though nothing is particularly leaping out of the glass. Though all appropriate, they all seems subdued, faint, and faraway.

The flavor doesn't quite match what I was hoping for after smelling this beer. The barnyard funk, lemon, apple, and wood components are all there, but I want much more tart and sour from this beer.

Thin to medium bodied though seems a touch metallic.

A somewhat sweet and lemony version of a gueuze. I would have preferred less sweetness and far more biting sour tartness.

3.24/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Copper-orange in my Teku, the gueuze has a head that subsides nearly immediately. It has a great look.

S: Sour Warheads on crack with soured apples. Subtle, maybe perhaps too much.

T: Tart funk to the max. The finish, surprisingly, is very malty yet dry.

M: Dry yet sweet, this is unusual.

O: This being my first gueuze, it's not bad, but this certainly isn't my style. I will continue to seek the next that might truly win me over.

3.29/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This was crisp and tart, and had the perfect amount of carbonation. I noticed a high amount of floating yeast but this does not bother me- it is unfiltered after all. Enjoyed super cold from a tulip glass. Overall, this is an above average sour at a reasonable price. Paid $9.00 for 12.7 oz.

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a hazy golden with a rocky white head. Smells initially of sour apple, followed by an onslaught of funky barnyard. Taste is initially warhead candy acid, followed by some green apple cider, a bit of grainy wheat, and finishing with an aged cheese flavor. Mouthfeel was smooth, average carbonation. Overall interesting, although quite tart and sour. The funky smell was just at about the limit for me, though I was glad I got to try this beer.

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice amber yellow with a decent hit. Good carbonation. Bottle indicates brewed in 2012. Smells like a typical lambic. Taste is typical sour but surprisingly without any hint of sweetness. Nice clean refreshing beer with a sour finish. Not a lot of substance. Lots of unfiltered goodies at the bottom of the bottle.

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Pours a hazy copper color with a fizzy head that fades quickly.

S: Aroma of citrus, fruit, earthy with a tart backbone.

T: Taste is quite tart with fruit, bit of citrus and a bit of spice. Quite bitter with an unexpected clean finish.

F: Moderate body, clean and smooth with plenty of tart.

O: Nice beer for the style, but am not really keen on Lambic beers.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

I didn't like the Van Honsebrouck beers. And this is another one to be disliked.

L: stange, trouble, exact like Lipton Ice Tea;
S: this smells like a not too deep geuze, with fresh apples;
T: disappointing; I miss the oak and complexity of the better geuze; well seen, there's only a one-dimensional sourness without any depth.
O: I won't buy this one another time. There's no reason to do that.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

best before 09-2015. Served decently cold, around 40 degrees.

Pours a cloudy gold with peach accents, there is a tiny head that forms with a vigorous pour. In the bottle there is tons of gunk stuck to the walls of the bottle.

The scent isn't as pungeant as other gueuzes but it has a hint of vinegar sourness about, some citrus, perfumey pear, apple peel, alcohol, and funk.

This one is a lot funkier than the other gueuzes I have had. The mouthfeel is also weird, it has a biting carbonation but feels almost water and syrupy in the mouth only to leave you with a bone dry finish. The taste is predominantly citric sourness with some vinegar,plastic, and tart fruitiness, the aftertaste has a bit of a peppery note and slight pale malt. No sign of malts or hops really though, its the yeast talking in this brew.

This is a definite funk lover's dream, it isn't too bad but not amazing, some aspects of it are a bit too rough and unrefined, it isn't as smooth or drinkable as some of the others in the category.

3.34/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottled 07/06/2011.

Straw-colored body, fizzy white head commands decent retention.

Aroma is full of cloves and other misc spices. Funky yeast is subdued, yielding to these non-traditional scents, and that's unfortunate.

On the upside, none of these missteps seem to affect the flavor profile. This tastes like a tradiional gueuze (albeit less funky) from an established blender: funky, cheesy, citric. Light years ahead of every other St Louis "sour" I've had (all of which are awful).

Happy to discover a $6.50/375mL gueuze that's actually reasonably good.

St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.