St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Gueuze Fond TraditionSt. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-03-2002

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured a slightly hazy tangerine copper hue that had a small white head. Not a whole lot of lacing on this one. For an unfiltered beer it was fairly clear.

Smell was a nice mix of sour, with lemon zest aromas and some good old barnyard funk. Earthy yeast notes mixed in as well.

Taste was straight up sour. Lemony, lip puckering sour. I enjoyed it very much. Slight funk in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was on the leaner side of medium. Drinkability was ok. Not alot of balance or complexity of sour flavor. I have another bottle to put down and age and see how this develops.

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

10 oz. pour into a wine glass, enjoyed at Deep Ellum. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a clear peach, with wonderful clarity. A half-finger white head forms, and lasts for some time. A great-looking guezue.

Tart, vinous notes abound in the aroma. Just a whole host of various funky elements, with a pronounced lactic note throughout. Pretty strong citrus here, almost bracingly strong lemon in the mix.

The taste is far sweeter than the aroma suggests. There is certainly a fair amount of tartness, with a healthy dose of citrus and lemon, but it seems tempered given how sugary this seems. Some bread, biscuit in the finish does temper this particular aspect of the beer.

Mouthfeel is something of a letdown, this seems undercarbed. Given that this was a draft pour, I expected a little more life.

Perfectly middle-of-the-road for me. Given the price of my pour ($9), I can't see myself springing for this again.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

I shared this beer with a friend to watch my Ducks beat up on the Cardinal. Sorry to say that my tables were turned on last Saturday night.

I poured this into a fluted glass to maximize my enjoyment of the geuze.

Off the top of this beer I get an enjoyable sour smell. I kept breathing this in. There is also some citrus, but not in the hoppy style.

In the glass I see a decent amount of particulates.

This beer tasted pretty sour as well. I taste lemon in this beer, but I don't see lemon in the ingredients. The texture was very light. I would say that this beer has a pretty decent amount of brightness.

The Tradition was very good. I liked it a lot.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottled Jan 20, 2010. 12.7 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

This "ale" looked very clear in the bottle and poured a bright hay color with an off-white head made up of fine bubbles. I was almost certain that it was filtered given the clarity but it says unfiltered right on the bottle... after pouring I looked inside the bottle and there was a compact layer of settled yeast/stuff. Good news. Good head retention and lacing too.

Funk, hay, spice and some softness in the aroma. Tastes quite sour and pleasantly so having spent some time conditioning in the bottle. Hay/earth and lemon rule the taste, with little funk making it to the palate. Generously carbonated and very very dry, but somehow not abrasive, yet. Just a bit of bitterness at the back, much like fruit peel.

I have had the pleasure of sampling a few highly regarded and sought after Gueuze thanks to the fine folks I have met on BeerAdvocate. I suppose what separates, say Lente, from this one, is the intensity of the flavors layered on the sour.

Regardless, very much of what I expected: tart, dry, reasonably if not immensely complex and all for a very decent price (6.99+tax), not to mention the easy availability. I am happy that I had this, and I will drink it again!

4, 3.5, 3, 4.5, 4

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy honey with stark white head.

Smell: Horseblanket funk, apple, vinegar and oak. Obviously smells tart and dry.

Taste: Mostly tart with vinegar, oak, and granny smith apples. Nice spicy kick to complement the tartness, although the apple taste provides a mild sweetness as well.

Feel: Fairly high carbonation, with a light, crisp body. Finishes dry and tart as expected.

Overall: Quite refreshing and tasty, despite being a little one dimensional. Quality Gueuze.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Poured a cloudy almost murky golden yellow, with a thin cap of white head. Aroma was pretty light actually: tart with notes of lemon zest and apple skin, and a bit of barnyard funk. Taste was very nice, balance of tart and sweet, apples and lemon zest, wet grass, spicy yeast, and maybe just a drop of berry juice. Medium mouthfeel, nice and crisp and zesty. Drinkable, not too overbearing or sour, and quite good, even if not totally exemplary of the style.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Cloudy golden in color with a finger of white head. Nice lacing with a large bubbled cap.

S: Funk, tart, grassy and apple-like.

T: Same as the smell, really. This is pretty sour, but not overpowering...well balanced, I'd say. I like the apple quality this has a good bit.

M: Tart and dry.

O: I don't have a lot of experience with gueuzes, but this is enjoyable. I'm not sure if I'd get this again, but it makes me want to try more from this style.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: golden. Pours 2 fingers of thick white head that fades fairly quickly. Almost no lacing. Clear.

Smell: barnyard funk, sour, earthy, slight orange peal/citrus notes.

Taste: Puckering sour, white wine vinegar, earthy, funky.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, light carbonation, very dry finish, acidic.

Overall: a very good gueuze. Not very complex and not overly sour, but a good solid base and very drinkable.

Bottle with Chad (phichifiji00) at Blue Palms - Hollywood, CA.

Nice beer! Liked the appearance, taste, smell, mouthfeel everything. Not overly complex or crazy sour, but a very nice session gueuze that really hit the spot. Not overly pricey either. Would try again!

St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.