Kasteel Cuvée Du Chateau - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel Cuvée Du ChateauKasteel Cuvée Du Chateau

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ShadesOfGray on 02-21-2010)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

I tasted this last week on draft at a local pub that has 55 mostly great beers on tap. It tasted like a cross between a Trappistes Rochefort 10 and the Kasteel Rouge brewed by the same brewery. Nice heavy bodied dark Belgian beer with a sour cherry backbone. If it weren't 11 %ABV, I could easily drink it all night. 2012 brew date on draft.

I tasted it again last night from a bottle dated May, 2010. Didn't like it as much when I first opened and tasted it. Neither did my wife who had also enjoyed the draft version with me last week. However, while we were sitting and talking and not in a rush to drink the disappointing beer, it warmed up a bit. When I finally took a second sip, it tasted like the draft version we had both loved. My wife thought the same.

So the point of my long winded review is, don't serve this beer too cold! 50-60 degrees is what I would recommend.

3.71/5  rDev -8.6%

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%

Sturdy, crown-emblazoned cage unwound, stout cork popped without incident, I decant this quadruple into my tulip glass at cellar temperature.

Quite a pretty ale indeed. A deep garnet or blood ruby with a two-finger tan head that settles into a carbonation-fed layer of fine froth that never really goes away.

It smells very enticing as well. Great vinous sorta character, with complementary assorted dark fruits. A little caramel and chocolate makes things even more interesting, and there's also this intriguing floral but kinda musty (in a pleasant way) yeasty earthiness. Might have something to do with this bottle being a year and a month old. Lovely bouquet!

The flavor profile is Belgian in every aspect. A burst of fruity red grapes, raisins, figs, and cherries, followed by sweet, yeasty bread, and finished with tingling spiciness like cinnamon and ginger, and a nice little (welcome) booziness.

A full body lets all the complexities swim around on my palate nicely.

Killer quad.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

Darker than expected with an appealing nose. Rich in the tongue, with afternotes of fruit and molasses. Incredibly smooth for a quad, this beer goes down too easily. A pleasure to drink, and I look forward to the next visit.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Kasteel Cuvée Du Chateau from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.