Kasteel Cuvée Du Chateau - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel Cuvée Du ChateauKasteel Cuvée Du Chateau

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ShadesOfGray on 02-21-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
bruachan

District of Columbia

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

attractive heavy garnet color

from distance this smells like oaky wine (and maybe something fortified like marsala). cork

ooh yeah, that's vinous: wine-like heat and corky. leather and winey fruits. tart, yeasty flavors. strong bitterness holds everything afloat, yet manages not to really diminish the strength of the wine metaphor. i suppose up until the finish my mouth can pretend the bitterness is part of the alcohol experience

minimal malt-type flavors (you know, nutty or caramel), in favor of some complex esters. blackcurrant

10-27-2010 01:12:59 | More by bruachan
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Brown in color with a tanned head that leaves a spotty lacing. Murky towards the bottom of the bottle. Nose is hard to wrap around, somewhat light. Notes of sweet, buttery molasses and candi sugar malt. The taste is still quite sweet, but tempered somewhat by a full carbonation. Candi sugar mixes with some strong dark fruits like raisin and figs. With the sweetness and high carbonation, comes off as almost like a craft root beer, with apparent herbs and spices mixed in. Super fruity as it warms. Alcohol also emerges as room temperature approaches; while not overly thick or sweet, this one does get a bit bogged down. Shy of the finest mouthfeels for the style, but still pretty damn good.

10-25-2010 04:18:37 | More by BretSikkink
RuudJH

Netherlands

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Limited release from this Kasteel Donker, brewed in 1998, as stated on the bottle. Supplier's recommendation at my local liquor store.
6 euro for 75 cl bottle.

I'm not at all familiar with aged beers, but I was told this particular brew held well in the breweries' cellars.

Dark brown beer with a beige head. It's lightly fizzy, the head disappearing rather fast.
Smell is very fresh: clear fresh red and black fruits, like berries, strawberries, cherries. Lightly sour scent, with a hint of caramel.
Taste is very balanced and mellow. The alcohol is very well masked. It's got roasty malt notes, some coffee and nuts. Mainly though, there's sweet 'n sour notes of the fruits.

Smooth and rather easy in the mouth for it's 11 % abv. In the aftertaste there is the alcohol present.

It's ok drinkable, but the alcohol becomes rather strong toward the end of the 75 cl there's still some carbonation left, making the booze pretty active .

I have not had much experience with older bottlings, but this is surely a brew that aged well enough for my taste.
Perhaps hard to obtain, but defenately recommended if you can find it.

10-08-2010 12:17:28 | More by RuudJH
Jeffo

Netherlands

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Got this one at the liquor store down the road.

From a 750 into a snifter. Cool looking bottle that I will try to get a photo up of.

Note: This is their quadrupel, or donker, brewed to be like it's ten years old. Read: This beer is NOT 10 years old. It is a recent brew, but the brewer artificially aged it to be like it was ten years old.

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking an head with very good retention. Dark bistre brown in color with medium carbonation evident. head slowly fades to a good foam cap. A good carp remains until the end and leaves lots of nice lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Caramel malt, dark malt, and lots of dark fruits. Raisins and dates come through in the aroma. Some spicy notes, cloves and coriander, as well as some brown sugar.

TASTE: Definitely could've fooled me. Tastes exactly what I would expect a ten year old briun to taste like. Caramel malt with lots of dark fruits; raisins, dates, and dark grapes perhaps. Lots of spicy, yeasty notes or coriander, cloves, pepper, and some spicy alcohol there as well. Big, sweet and spicy aftertaste is bold but quick. Flavors are very smooth and blend together extremely well.

PALATE: Very soft. Medium body and carbonation, and very smooth and soft on the palate. Light on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry. Definitely feels like it's been aged in a cellar somewhere.

OVERALL: What the hell? This was a brewing experiment gone right. I would absolutely love to find an actual 10 year old bottle to compare to the magic con-artist that is the Cuvee du Chateau. I quite enjoy their regular bruin, but this freak of a brewing fast-one really got the best of me. I've had a few aged Belgian brews, and this one tastes and feels exactly like what I would expect from an aged Kasteel Bruin. Liked it so much I went back a grabbed a few more. Wonder if other breweries would be willing to try this with some of their age-friendly beers? A unique and enjoyable drinking experience. One to check out if you get the chance.

09-08-2010 12:55:35 | More by Jeffo
nickd717

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Draft at Ebenezer's. Apparently this is also called by the less appealing name "Donker."

Pours medium-dark brown and somewhat opaque with a nicely formed off-white head.

The aroma is nice with caramel, brown sugar, Belgian yeast, and dark fruits.

The flavor is somewhat fruity with plum and raisin notes, nuts, sweet caramel malt, mild roast, and Belgian yeast.

Medium-full bodied with average carbonation.

Not boozy at all - the 11% ABV really hides itself, making this a dangerous beer.

08-19-2010 18:14:49 | More by nickd717
John_M

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at Teresa's next door the other day.

The beer pours a dark cola color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is also pretty attractive, showing cherry, light milk chocolate, some vanilla and a hint of ginger. This beer smells pretty good, but it still didn't prepare me for the carousel of flavors I encontered on the palate. This beer showcases a terrific array of chocolate, brown sugar, rootbeer and spice, but then on the finish that black cherry really kicks in. Yummmm!!!! The mouthfeel is medium bodied, and the beer seemed to have no more then moderate sweetness. It actually finishes with a fairly light and dry finish, albeit spice infused throughout. Drinkability in this beer is sensational... the alcohol is just no where to be seen.

This decandently delicious beer is flat out dangerous.... that's how easy drinking it is. Impressive. Really hope this beer makes it down to Baltimore, as I'd like to see this around from time to time.

08-02-2010 22:12:19 | More by John_M
jneiswender

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

Had on tap at Ebenezer's Pub. Served in a chalice.

A-black body

S-very vinous smell, some sweet grain smell.

T-sugar, black pepper, grapes, plums and spice

M-medium

D-world class beer. Just one of the best beers I have ever had. I would drink this beer again.

06-25-2010 14:48:28 | More by jneiswender
beast4534

Rhode Island

This beer was a complete shock, and I mean that in the best way. I've found a great bar in where tap beers are available in 6-rack samples at 7 ounces each. I somewhat randomly selected this beer because I happen to like high-alcohol, Belgian beers.

The appearance was dark with a nice, thick head. Of course, 7-oz sample glasses don't do the appearance of any beer particular justice. But for a Belgian, this one looked exceptional.

The smell was a blissful mix of fruits blended with the odor of wet oak, like the woods after a night of rain (sans mosquitos). In a word...inviting.

Taste. Wow. I can't believe I wasted my time ordering the other five beers in this rack. I should have order six of the Cuvee. The inviting scent has in no way be let down by the actual taste. Is that carmel? Am I drinking brandy? What kind of fruits are in here? No adjectives can do this taste justice.

Mouthfeel...savor it. The taste does not fade. The flavors swirl around, fighting for total control, but thankfully, no single flavor wins. Great aftertaste.

Drinkabity? If this is really 11% then I will have to execute extreme moderation because all I want is another.

In Field of Dreams, Shoeless Joe asked "Is this heaven?"

No, brother, it's Kasteel Cuvee.

06-15-2010 17:00:19 | More by beast4534
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Had on tap at Track 84 on 5.4.2010. Served in a tulip. Poured an opaque mahogany with burgundy highlights when backlit. A half inch, creamy, off-white head quickly receded into a thin consistent skim - no lacing present during the tasting. Nose was very subdued - some malt and a slightly vinous quality. Taste follows nose - dark fruit dominates, but not particularly malty, sweet or complex. Flavor profile is lacking the big malty, sugary quality I've come to associate with the style. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a subtle carbonation - somewhat thin for the style, with a slightly dry finish. I have to say that I was a little disappointed. Not really style consistent; closer to a Belgian Strong Dark in my opinion. Alcohol was well-hidden, but I was a bit disappointed by this beer.

05-06-2010 02:10:21 | More by Jwale73
womencantsail

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

On-tap at Stone

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a thin off-white head.

S: The nose has a definite sugary, sweet note to it. Plenty of caramel malt and brown sugar, along with ripened dark fruits.

T: As the nose would indicate, there's a lot of sweet, bready malts, brown sugar, plums, and raisins. Pretty standard flavors with a bit of a dry finish.

M: The body is fairly full with a soft, low carbonation and the aforementioned dryness.

D: A bit sweet for me, but not bad. The flavors are good, but considering what this beer "is", I was expecting a bit more.

03-29-2010 07:00:08 | More by womencantsail
Halcyondays

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, the Donker aged in steel for 10 years, so vintage 2000,

A: Pours brown with a soft white head into a goblet, nice lace.

S: Surprisingly light, but some notes of malt and molasses, very sugary.

T: Clearly drier than the Brune, but still is a bit sweet. Moderate notes of residual sugar. Dark malt, raisin, but really didn't add any complexity over the 10 years. It tastes good, but that's about it.

M: Off-dry, creamy, very soft carbonation. Not as thick and cloying sweet as the Brune.

D: I think it's cool that this beer was brewed when I was in high school. That being said, I didn't really get anything except a drier version of the Donker. That's fine, I guess I just expected more.

03-16-2010 21:16:51 | More by Halcyondays
ffejherb

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at Ebenezer's on 2/27/10. This was aged in oak barrels for 10 years!

A - The liquid possesses a deep red wine character reminiscent of a bordeaux with a sparse off-white head that reduced into a patchy, wispy veil and deposited subtle web-like lacing around the glass.

S - Subtle tart and slightly sweet cherry character with a hint of oak wood. Overall, the nose is much more tame and subdued than I was expecting (althought definitely not in a bad way). I was anticipating a much more tart cherry character with more of a pronounced wood character, especially since this was sitting on oak for ten years! There is a hint of cherry cough syrup in the background.

T - Flavor is balanced nicely with a subtle oak character. While the cherries don't impart a huge tartness, they actually blend rather artfully with the oak to provide a hint of sweetness in the midst of dry, woody and sour notes. The cherry character is definitely more prevalent in the flavor than the aroma, however.

M - Medium bodied with subtle carbonation and a syrpy texture. Finish is slightly dry with a mild sourness on the palate.

D - This provided me with a wonderful sipping experience while enjoying my visit to Ebenezer's. This wasn't as crazy and in-your-face as I was expecting. Instead, I was treated to a rare and delicious blend of cherries and oak.

03-06-2010 16:40:44 | More by ffejherb
ToasterChef

Maine

Reviewed from my notes. Served at the Lion's Pride, a preview of what is to come at their first annual Belgian Beer festival. The beer is basically the Donker aged for 10 years in barrels (I don't remember what kind though). It pours a very dark brown and is opaque. The thin tan head dissipated quickly to a tiny skim and one large clump of bubbles. Swirling the beer around the glass leaves a bit of a bubbly coating. It has an interesting aroma. There is a mild sweetness to it. I can pick out red grapes and a hint of alcohol. I think there may also be prunes, raisins and/or dates present as well. Like the aroma, the taste is made up of malty sweet purple fruits--plus, grapes and their dried counterparts. There is also a little bit of crystal sugar. I can taste some alcohol, especially in the finish, but the sweetness and fruit flavors linger as well. I'm not tasting some of the hearty malts typical to the style, but I'm also not getting any of the yeast flavors you find in many Belgian ales. This is a very unique beer. It has a medium body and a sugary sweet coat. I can lick my lips and taste crystal sugars that have been deposited there. Medium levels of carbonation are felt all over my mouth. There is also a slight tinge of alcohol. The beer feels very drinkable. I'm taking it slow because I enjoy the complex taste, but I could drink it faster and still enjoy it. Along the same lines I could easily drink a few glasses of this.

I should note that I feel that this beer deserves a higher overall rating than the individual scores I have given it..."sum great than the parts" and all that. This is a very good beer that fans of Belgian and English styles should seek out, as well as those who appreciate what aging in a barrel can do to improve a beer.

03-04-2010 13:28:37 | More by ToasterChef
stingrayvr6

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Had on tap at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia. Poured deep reddish black into a tulip with a thick creamy head. Absolutely beautiful, color of a dark red wine. Smell was equally impressive, fruity and malty, bitter cherry and caramel notes. Taste starts sweet and fruity, malty with some vanilla too, finish is tart cherry and Belgian hops. Mild carbonation. Fantastic beer, 10 years of aging has done this one well.

03-03-2010 00:35:10 | More by stingrayvr6
ShadesOfGray

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Issac Newton's in Newtown PA had on tap...stated very limited...new, and will probably never have again. Most people confuse this beer with a Belgian Brown ale, but infact...this is a Barley wine. Pours a dark brown with maroonish tinge, from tap. Brought to our table almost immediately and already no head what-so-ever, and with that said, not much lacing to speak of.

On the other hand, aroma was very pleasant...sweet, Belgian-like of raisins and other dark over-ripe fruits. Slight boozy scent, malty and Belgian yeasts. Overall, a sweet smell.

Hmmm...wow. Great taste. Sweet flavor wasn't as strong as the aroma led to believe. Still good, but more booze in the flavor to counter-balance the sweetness. Not much hops to speak of. Finished pretty dry.

Thick, full bodied...robust! Booze is definitely warming. This beer came out of nowhere! Very, very good beer.

02-21-2010 00:49:30 | More by ShadesOfGray
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Kasteel Cuvée Du Chateau from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.