St. Louis Kriek - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis KriekSt. Louis Kriek

good

good

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 11-09-2003)
Reviews by Beertracker:

Beertracker, Jan 27, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

375ml green bottle with a bottled on date of July 9th 2009.

LOOK: Heady, clear burgundy

SMELL: Cherry cough medicine, dried grass, yeast, musty.

TASTE: Crisp, sweet-tart, medicinal, cherry juice, oak, dryness.

At first smell and sip I though I was going to be taken over by sweetness ... even with a heavy push of cherry here there are other aspects that help the balance that out and show some depth. A respectable sweet lambic IMO.

Jason, Sep 19, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'll try this one for my 1st review, having enjoyed a few Belgian fruit lambics a few years ago in the Low Countries. This one pours a cranberry red, with a thick pink head. Nice lacing. Strong taste of sweet cherries, too sweet for my taste. Mouthfeel is of slightly carbonated cherry soda. Clean finish and no heavy aftertaste. Just a straightforward cherry brew, not at all complex. This one would pair well with an aged gouda or edam cheese. Not as complex as the ones I remember from Belgium, but not at all bad.

merlin48, Nov 09, 2003
3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

The beer is a deep, bright opaque color with a red tone. It had a thin light pink head. The smell is of strong, sweet cherries, almost like cherry cough syrup. It had a flat cherry flavor. I kept waiting for the "kick" that beers like this have and it never came. It was good, enjoyable, but not fantastic. The finish was slightly sour which I enjoyed but would have preferred a more sour edge throughout to give this beer the extra kick it needed.

BlueHammer, Jun 28, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a Maredsous chalice

Appearance: no head, clear, low carbonation-ruby red in color

Smell: sweet cherry candy

Taste: cherry candy, sourness, and honey

Mouthfeel: sweet start then the sour taste mixes, light bodied, medium carbonation

Drinkability: I like their other lambics better, but I could have a couple glasses of this. A nice warm weather beer that is more of an intro lambic.

tigg924, May 28, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Jaysicles, Oct 05, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Dinkel, Mar 16, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Tarks, Nov 17, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -20.5%

Deep garnet color with light pink head. Fairly decent lacing on my tulip glass.
Obviously, I get a good deal of cherry in the aroma, on the sweet side. The taste smacked me in the face with nostalgia: Luden's cherry cough drops. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I loved those cough drops. It's just not what I'd expect in my beer. There's a bit of tartness in the aftertaste too.
Not all that great, I don't think. Too syrupy and sweet for me, even if that's what I was in the mood for.

weasbri, Jul 18, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -13.4%

mattfancett, Sep 02, 2014
3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz pour into a St Louis flute at Burp Castle, NYC.

Pretty, clear, dark pink color with small light pink head. Aroma all cherries. Crisp and lively in the mouth, nice full sour cherry flavor, not too complex. A hint of lambic sourness, it's not as sweet as the Lindemann's stuff and therefore more enjoyable, but this is a scrubbed version of lambic, a far cry from the puckeringly sour and funky true lambics I have come to know and love. Enjoyable brew but the sweetness knocks drinkability down a notch.

kenito799, Sep 11, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -24.7%

Meh. Pour was decent. Deep ruby, sparkling 2 finger light pink head. Decent retention. Smell is sweet, deep cherries. Not artificial, but I was expecting a bit of sourness out of this one, and it's not there.

The taste follows the aroma. Real lack of sour here. I guess it's not supposed to be a sour, which I was unaware of when purchasing. A bit too sweet for me, but the actual flavor of the cherries is nice, a very natural.

HURTemHIZZY, Nov 19, 2010

GRG1313, Jul 19, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

RandyKemka, Dec 05, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours out a really clear bubbly pinkish red with one finger white small suds.
Smell is Cherry and oak and sugar malts.
Taste is sour and sweet cherry with a dark bitterness hiding just behind.
Mouthfeel is very clean and cold, this beer is very refreshing.
Overall I like this brewery and it's wonderful sour fruit beers.

peabody, Sep 10, 2011

Liquoric3, Aug 15, 2012

A very nice kriek! I tried this kriek while in Belgium, after my dinner. It was very cherry (some may even say cough-syrup or candy-like, but I enjoyed it!) and very sweet. Definitely a dessert type of drink, but not something to drink with a meal. It was bubbly, and malty just like a lambic should be. I was very impressed, and I think I preferred it to Lindeman's (at least their Kriek).

RobeyStreet, Oct 14, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -29%

andthevolcano, Aug 17, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a ruby brownish red brew with a fluffy, pink medium-sized head.
Smell: incredibly sweet with a bubblegum cherry aroma and some almonds. Very artificial and sweet.
The taste was very similar. Very sweet with no sourness or tardness to balance things and a very straightforward soda-like (Dr. Pepper?) cherry taste. Not a single hint that this brew is based on lambic, wich the bottle states. The sweetness robs the beer of every complexness that might otherwise have been traceable.
The mouthfeel is soapy and fizzy.

If anything; this brew is more of a soft drink than a beer. I'd like it as a softdrink probably, but as a beer it is very average. Not worth picking up.

Paddez, Jan 07, 2005

danwho, Sep 14, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

375 mL bottle with a date of 05-2007, pretty sure that is a bottled date. Pours a very clear rich red color with a light cap of foam. Fades quickly in true lambic fashion.

Nose is chock full of delicious cherry aromas. Not very sour smelling and has a fair amount of sweetness to it.

Ahh, there is the tartness, it seems some age has really brought out some deeper kriek-like flavors. Sweetness is still there, but less so that I remember on the one I had a year and a half ago from the same batch. Lots of cherry flavors are here, much more so than Cantillon Kriek, but also much less sour. Mouthfeel is rich and thick, quite good. I am really digging this beer with some age on it. I will not hesitate to grab many more of these next time I see it and throw them in the cellar. Pretty good value as well, as I think this one was under 5 bucks. I like to think of this as more of a dessert beer, akin to a good icewine. So damn drinkable.

twiggamortis420, Nov 05, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

Appearance: Dark ruby red, almost brown.

Aroma: Sweet spices, cherries, almond pits.

Taste: Sweet, maybe too much so. The gueuze base gives the beer a sour kick though, but it is rather well covered by the cherries and the sweetness. Good for someone who doesn’t like the pure lambic taste so much, but wants an authentic kriek. I do like the amaretto-like, almond pit flavour, although it’s more distinctive in the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Mostly just lingering sweetness; medium carbonation.

Overall: I haven’t been drinking many lambics recently, but it is a type of beer that I quite like. This particular kriek is made by maturing morello cherry pulp for at least six months in the gueuze base, which itself a blend of matured lambics. Personally I prefer gueuze or other lambics without fruit, but the kriek is a classic, and quite fitting for winter time. This is not the best one out there though...

Arborescence, Feb 16, 2012

DamageCase76, Jan 11, 2014

JGlitz87, Jul 12, 2014

rrski198, Feb 18, 2014
St. Louis Kriek from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.